Community Forum

Picture Quality Poor for all programming (Live TV/On Demand/DVR Recordings)

New Poster

Picture Quality Poor for all programming (Live TV/On Demand/DVR Recordings)

Comcast Support,

I just switched from Uverse to Comcast due to limitations of internet speed. I have the triple play X1 service. At the moment, I am not pleased with the qualitly of the TV picture and delay. I have 3 HD DVR boxes and 3 HD Samsung TV's (1080 LED). There is a picture delay and significant pixalation on most programming. There is also what appears to be a haze on certain stations and content. The picture quality is poor at best.

I am hoping that this is merely a line issue - Please provide me a resolution on how this can be improved as it is currently hard on the eyes and does not support the quality of service I expected with a $200 per month price tag.

Regards.

Tags (1)
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Picture Quality Poor for all programming (Live TV/On Demand/DVR Recordings)

It sounds like you need a service call to check your signal. You will have to call, you cannot do it here. 

New Poster

Thanks for your comments.

Contributor

Since changing to the X1 DVR, I too have seen a decrease in picture quality.  I've tried 720p/1080i/1080p settings on various channels and they are about the same.  Most of all, I notice that the picture on various channels is a bit dull.  Hazy or washed out is the best way for me to describe it.  I've had my signal checked and it appears fine. 

Is there anything I can do or settings I can check for signal strength?

Thanks!

Regular Contributor

The pixelation is caused by signal issues. Mine was caused by a bad drop, (squirrels eating it on the pole) and also static on the line and bad tap. I also experienced a blurry or dull looking picture. This was fixed by comcast replacing the splitter with a ppc ev01-5-u/u zero return amp and me putting my tv's on 720p on all boxes. Crystal clear now. Yes 720p, others experiences may differ but this worked for me. However, some sd channels are still poor quality and not clear.
Contributor

And before I had X1 installed, I never had a large amp/slitter installed.  And now I do, so I'm thinking this could be the reason my HD picture appears washed out.  BUT, why would the picture be very good on certain channels, but hazy on others if the amp is bad?   Wouldn't all channels be bad if the amp was bad?  I would hate to request a new amp and another service appointment for no improvement. 

Regular Contributor

How many boxes do you have? You say you never had a splitter but now you do.
Contributor

Sorry for the confusion; but I had a main splitter in the past, just not the amp.  I have 3 TVs with boxes in my house but have other outlets in my house with access.  The AMP is new as it replaced an old splitter.  There are 5 lines on this amp so I also call it a splitter.  I was told I needed the amp for my new house phone which I never had in the past.  I'm sure I probably confused you more. 

Official Employee

Curious how are your tvs hooked up to the cable box? I have seen installers use coax instead of HDMI or component cables and what is the resolution to?
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

All use HDMIs with 1080p video setting. I've tried component cables and no change.
Regular Contributor

I hope they (comcast) finds your problem I've had X1 since july and from day 1 the picture quality was superior to the Motorola anyroom set up previuosly had.Yes there has been problems with X1 but,picture quality for me was never one of them .I have X1dvr and 2 companion bxs all with HDMI connections also,2 hooked to surround systems by optical connection.

Official Employee

Try changing the resolution on the boxes to 1080i or 720p and see if anything changes
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Gold Problem Solver

I have seen picture quality issues with Comcast and X1 that I don't want to get into detail about. But the gap is not as wide as others would make it sound here. We all need to keep in mind that most of today's TVs retain independent settings for each input. Unless you go in to your TV's settings menu and confirm each input is set the same, the comparison is not valid.

Another comparison we can do is plug an antenna into our TVs and compare over the air broadcast to Comcast. Over the air broadcasts typically have less compression to the signal in comparison to cable or satellite. Next time you think there is something wrong with Comcast's picture quality, flip over to the antenna and make a comparison...

I have an antenna connected to my main TV and the difference in picture quality with Comcast is no where near as great as some of you think it is...

PS. I run everything at 1080p and I have no issues. If you are seeing HUGE differences between 720p, 1080i and 1080p the problem is elsewhere...

Official Employee
Moved:

New Poster

i have rcn Hd and tivo.. the color quality is so much better than comcast why?  is it the box?   the color is all washed out ,,, and the tivo is so vibrent ... i am using the two hdmi on the same tv as a compaision? any ideas  just a poor quality comcast box?

Gold Problem Solver

X1 picture quality is just fine. The true test is to compare Comcast's picture quality to what you get from an antenna. I am able to do that test and X1's picture quality is comparable.

Most of today's TVs have the ability to remember different picture settings for every input. I would suggest you check the picture settings on the different inputs on your TV. I suspect that is what you are seeing.

You can also try different HDMI cables.

md500pilot wrote:

i have rcn Hd and tivo.. the color quality is so much better than comcast why?  is it the box?   the color is all washed out ,,, and the tivo is so vibrent ... i am using the two hdmi on the same tv as a compaision? any ideas  just a poor quality comcast box?

Silver Problem Solver

My picture quality is great on all four of my LED TV's.  

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Visitor

I have the same problem.Its because Comcast compresses the HD signal to fit more channels instead of doing it the right way. I pay over $200 a month and my HD picture is full of artifacts annoying to watch and don't even get me started with their horrendous internet service. We are being ripped off. And I love how the techs come out and tell you everything is working great it must be your tv...Yea all three of my televisions are bad and my brand new Samsung 60 inch plasma that is stunning while watching bluray is messed up too... Yea ok. They really think we are stupid. Wish I had another option. Still might drop them anyway.

Gold Problem Solver

Brand new Samsung 60" plasma???

Considering that Samsung and Panasonic stopped making plasma sets in 2013, I find it hard to believe your 60" Samsung Plasma is brand new.

1. Your post lacks credibility. All cable and satellite providers use compression.
2. Have you compared Comcast's picture quality against an "over the air" antenna. I have and it is extremely close.
3. Are you aware that most of todays TVs retain different picture settings for each input. I suggest any differences you are seeing is the settings of your TV.
4. Comcast is currently converting to MPEG 4 and the picture quality appears to be better.

I think you need to read more and learn more before you post rants like this...

Awol64 wrote:

I have the same problem.Its because Comcast compresses the HD signal to fit more channels instead of doing it the right way. I pay over $200 a month and my HD picture is full of artifacts annoying to watch and don't even get me started with their horrendous internet service. We are being ripped off. And I love how the techs come out and tell you everything is working great it must be your tv...Yea all three of my televisions are bad and my brand new Samsung 60 inch plasma that is stunning while watching bluray is messed up too... Yea ok. They really think we are stupid. Wish I had another option. Still might drop them anyway.

Gold Problem Solver
Moved:

New Poster

We are having the same problems as you ..we've had techs out 3 times and each one of them said it was the tv..and it's like ok my brand new Samsung and my old 5 year old Samsung Both have poor picture quality ?? Really!??! We've been told they cant do anything else
Silver Problem Solver

I have a Samsung I bought five years ago - UN60D7000VFXA.

Works great with my Pace V1 DVR that I have had for almost three years.  I am using an Onkyo receiver for sound, so the TV is getting its signal from the receiver and the receiver is gettig its signal from the DVR.

Are you using HDMI?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Visitor

Re: Picture Quathity Poor for all programming (Live TV/On Demand/DVR Recordings)

They are the worst company out there. I have a Samsung plasma (TV of the year) when I bought it. The tech says it must be the TV can't find anything wrong..Yea ok.So I ask him if it's the TV why do my Blu-rays look stunning and the only crappy picture is through my cable box and it's the exact same with every TV in my house and my friends and family with Comcast have the exact same problem....His answer..Ummm I have no idea. It's called pushing major bandwidth through antiquated lines that can't handle it. I'm dumping them. Not worth anywhere near what I pay.
New Poster

Re: Picture Quathity Poor for all programming (Live TV/On Demand/DVR Recordings)

Yes we've tried everything ..we just moved into a new home, and never had a problem with hd until we moved, and had 3 different techs come out and nothing has been solved ...he last tech didn't look anywhere but at the tv..
Problem Solver

Hello Bobandroxy1,

My apologies for your service issues. Upon review of your account, I see that you a service appointment scheduled for Monday June 13th between 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm. If you need to cancel or reschedule, you may do so by going to the following: 

1. Log in to My Account
  2. Upon logging in, you will be presented with a message stating "You have an appointment scheduled for..." with the date and time listed.  Click Manage to change the appointment.

I will check back with you after your service appointment to see if your issue has been resolved. 

New Poster

Yeah we are done with Comcast..we have given your company 4 chances, and 4 techs chances to make our service correct in the last 2 weeks...we have been loyal customers for 5 years, and when we moved into our new home and had Comcast cable installed,the quality of high def chanels in crown point are no where as high of quality as they were in our home in Illinois..we have paid over $200 a month for the past 5 years for service with Comcast and had no problem paying that much money because our service was excellent,but i will not pay that kind of money for poor high definition chanels..also the lack of communication between Comcast employees, and never speaking to the same person more then once made everything much more difficult.. I spoke with a supervisor last on Friday and she assured me she would send out a experienced tech that would step by step troubleshoot, and take the time to try and solve the problem.Well that did not happen the young gentleman basically (AND THE ORIGINAL INSATLLER THAT I TOLD BEFORE HE EVEN LEFT MY HOME THE ORIGINAL INSTALLATION DAY MY PICTURE QUALITY WAS BAD,AND HE SAID IT WAS JUST THE TV, SO I BOUGHT A NEW ONE..AND THE PICTURE WAS HORRIBLE ON THAT TV, AND MY OTHER 2 tv's SO ALL 3 OF MY TVS ARE BAD?!) said there was nothing he could do...so on that note...I've given your guys a fair shake and let you try to correct he problem ...so if Comcast ever decides to upgrade there signals, and actually give the customers what they are paying for we may come back.. until then I will not pay the money Comcast demands for low quality service ..and strongly advice Comcast to upgrade signals before they loose more customers... New customers considering crown point Indiana Comcast, should think twice and take this horror story into consideration before committing your hard earned money and paying for low picture quality service,
Bobandroxy
New Poster

Here's your reply below
Gold Problem Solver

You never provided any specifics about what you were seeing. All you said was "poor picture quality". Sorry but that is kinda vague. Are you seeing "pixeling" or any error messages? Can you post screen shots?

Earlier in this thread, I mentioned comparing Comcast's picture quality to an over the air antenna. I have four HD TV sets in my house and I have antennas on three of them. Why? It is so I have a backup if Comcast goes down (it hasn't in four years) and also so I can compare the picture quality between Comcast and the original broadcast.

I can assure anyone who reads this that Comcast's picture quality is usually extremely close to the original over the air broadcasts. Only a videophile sitting very close to a high end TV (plasma or OLED) would notice any differences.

I am sorry Bobandroxy1 but something is missing here. The picture you are painting is missing pieces...

Bobandroxy1 wrote:
Yeah we are done with Comcast..we have given your company 4 chances, and 4 techs chances to make our service correct in the last 2 weeks...we have been loyal customers for 5 years, and when we moved into our new home and had Comcast cable installed,the quality of high def chanels in crown point are no where as high of quality as they were in our home in Illinois..we have paid over $200 a month for the past 5 years for service with Comcast and had no problem paying that much money because our service was excellent,but i will not pay that kind of money for poor high definition chanels..also the lack of communication between Comcast employees, and never speaking to the same person more then once made everything much more difficult.. I spoke with a supervisor last on Friday and she assured me she would send out a experienced tech that would step by step troubleshoot, and take the time to try and solve the problem.Well that did not happen the young gentleman basically (AND THE ORIGINAL INSATLLER THAT I TOLD BEFORE HE EVEN LEFT MY HOME THE ORIGINAL INSTALLATION DAY MY PICTURE QUALITY WAS BAD,AND HE SAID IT WAS JUST THE TV, SO I BOUGHT A NEW ONE..AND THE PICTURE WAS HORRIBLE ON THAT TV, AND MY OTHER 2 tv's SO ALL 3 OF MY TVS ARE BAD?!) said there was nothing he could do...so on that note...I've given your guys a fair shake and let you try to correct he problem ...so if Comcast ever decides to upgrade there signals, and actually give the customers what they are paying for we may come back.. until then I will not pay the money Comcast demands for low quality service ..and strongly advice Comcast to upgrade signals before they loose more customers... New customers considering crown point Indiana Comcast, should think twice and take this horror story into consideration before committing your hard earned money and paying for low picture quality service,
Bobandroxy

New Poster

Well I'm done talking about it ..I know what hd looks like and what it doesn't look like..poor overall picture .how long have you worked for Comcast?? Or why are you defending them better yet?? You are on Comcasts payroll is what I think..and Comcast is using an alias ..and that alias is you..lol..I just don't want other people paying for a poor hd and some people don't even realize it's bad because they don't know any better .. I've been with Comcast for years and did like them until the past couple weeks..and I've gave them the benefit of the doubt FOUR TIMES
New Poster

I EVEN HAD A COMCAST TECH SAY HE WOULD NOT PAY FOR THE HIGH DEF I HAVE EITHER !!! So that alone is saying something !!!
Contributor

ComcastAndrew wrote:
Try changing the resolution on the boxes to 1080i or 720p and see if anything changes

I've been having picture quality issues for several months now. One of the first things customer support told me to try was changing the resolution setting on the box. I had already done that. It does nothing. The video settings provides two options Zoom and Resolution. The 480 option is the only one that makes any changes and Zoom only kicks in when using 480(which does kind of make sense). However, tere is literally ZERO difference between 720p, 1080i and 1080p. Do those options really do anything at all?

Silver Problem Solver

jimtv1983 wrote:

ComcastAndrew wrote:

I've been having picture quality issues for several months now. One of the first things customer support told me to try was changing the resolution setting on the box. I had already done that. It does nothing. The video settings provides two options Zoom and Resolution. The 480 option is the only one that makes any changes and Zoom only kicks in when using 480(which does kind of make sense). However, tere is literally ZERO difference between 720p, 1080i and 1080p. Do those options really do anything at all?

I'm not certain, but those settings should match what the TV supports.  One of my TV's is a 720p and I couldn't tell the difference between the 720 and 1080 X1 settings.  But I COULD tell a difference between 720 and 1080 on my 1080p TV's.

Contributor

I can confrim his compalints. I have compared the picture coming from an HD antenna with the same channel coming from Comcast. The difference is huge.The antenna picture is crisp and clear while the Comcast broadcast is blurry and dull looking. I do have a "high end" OLED but I'm not sitting very close (about 9-10 feet from a 55"). Plus, a high end TV should make it look BETTER not worse. I certially wouldn't call myself a "videophile".

A while back it used to look great so I know Comcast CAN deliver a good picture. Something changed. I've had 3 supervisor level Comcast techs out to my house just to LOOK and the picture issues. They ALL confirmed that they see what I'm talking about but they say they can't do anything about it. They say the signal from the head end is fine. They say the signal coming into my home is fine. All according to diagnostic tools. But the picture is still bad.

Silver Problem Solver

jimtv1983 wrote:

I can confrim his compalints. I have compared the picture coming from an HD antenna with the same channel coming from Comcast. The difference is huge.The antenna picture is crisp and clear while the Comcast broadcast is blurry and dull looking. I do have a "high end" OLED but I'm not sitting very close (about 9-10 feet from a 55"). Plus, a high end TV should make it look BETTER not worse. I certially wouldn't call myself a "videophile".

A while back it used to look great so I know Comcast CAN deliver a good picture. Something changed. I've had 3 supervisor level Comcast techs out to my house just to LOOK and the picture issues. They ALL confirmed that they see what I'm talking about but they say they can't do anything about it. They say the signal from the head end is fine. They say the signal coming into my home is fine. All according to diagnostic tools. But the picture is still bad.

Could there be an issue with any of your HDMI cables?

Contributor

Swapping HDMI cables is one of the first things I tried before calling tech support.

Here is an overview of what I've been through:

Just a review of what I've done so far.

Before a tech ever came out

1. Tried BluRay, Chromecast and HD antenna to see if other sources where impacted.

2. Tried a different HDMI cable

3. Tried a different coax cable

4. Tried different HDMI ports on the TV just in case the port was bad.

5. Messed with the resolution settings on the X1 box.

6. Unhooked the drop coming in from the street from the splitter that goes into my house and ran a long extension through my front door directly into the box. This bypassed my internal home wiring eliminating that as a factor.

FIRST CALL TO COMCAST

First tech came out and he:

1. Checked the signal coming into my home from the drop

2. Replaced the X1 box

MOER CALLS

Second tech came out and he:

1. Checked the signals coming into my home again

2. Replaced all the coax connectors at both sides of the drop, all lines coming off the spliter going into the house and the line behind the wall plate. I had told him I eliminated the internal wiring as the problem but new coax connectors can't hurt anything so whatever.

MORE CALLS WITH TIER 3 SUPPORT

Comcast line tech supposedly came out and replaced the drop under the street. I say supposedly because I wasn't actually there when it happened.

Comcast line tech supposedly came out and did some "work on the node". Again, 

I say supposedly because I wasn't actually there when it happened.

Supervisor tech came to my house to see the issue himself. He confirms he see the issue (blurry/dull picture). He hooks up a 17" test TV to also elminate the TV. I thought it might not be visible on the smaller TV just because a large TV(mine is 55") would make a bad signal more noticeable. The 17" showed the same problem. Tech agreed with my observation.

Two more supervisor techs came out to observe what I'm seeing. Both acknowledge my issues.

Went to Best Buy and bough a coax amp. No impact

Last call they basically said they acknowledge there is an issue but there is nothing they can do about it since, according to them, all things that can be done have been done.

Expert

jimtv1983 wrote:

Swapping HDMI cables is one of the first things I tried before calling tech support.

Here is an overview of what I've been through:

Just a review of what I've done so far.

Before a tech ever came out

1. Tried BluRay, Chromecast and HD antenna to see if other sources where impacted.

2. Tried a different HDMI cable

3. Tried a different coax cable

4. Tried different HDMI ports on the TV just in case the port was bad.

5. Messed with the resolution settings on the X1 box.

6. Unhooked the drop coming in from the street from the splitter that goes into my house and ran a long extension through my front door directly into the box. This bypassed my internal home wiring eliminating that as a factor.

FIRST CALL TO COMCAST

First tech came out and he:

1. Checked the signal coming into my home from the drop

2. Replaced the X1 box

MOER CALLS

Second tech came out and he:

1. Checked the signals coming into my home again

2. Replaced all the coax connectors at both sides of the drop, all lines coming off the spliter going into the house and the line behind the wall plate. I had told him I eliminated the internal wiring as the problem but new coax connectors can't hurt anything so whatever.

Comcast line tech supposedly came out and replaced the drop under the street. I say supposedly because I wasn't actually there when it happened.

Comcast line tech supposedly came out and did some "work on the node". Again, 

I say supposedly because I wasn't actually there when it happened.

Supervisor tech came to my house to see the issue himself. He confirms he see the issue (blurry/dull picture). He hooks up a 17" test TV to also elminate the TV. I thought it might not be visible on the smaller TV just because a large TV(mine is 55") would make a bad signal more noticeable. The 17" showed the same problem. Tech agreed with my observation.

Two more supervisor techs came out to observe what I'm seeing. Both acknowledge my issues.

Went to Best Buy and bough a coax amp. No impact

Last call they basically said they acknowledge there is an issue but there is nothing they can do about it since, according to them, all things that can be done have been done.

first, do you have cloud DVR activated? If not, activate it and use web site xtv.comcast.net or a smart device app xfinity TV. Does the image blurring appear on either/both of those  method of access? (by passes the TV community wirting using only IP via internet).

second, have you aked for the supervisor at the local comcast office? Will someone at the office allow you to see a hooked up TV at their facility to determine if they have the issue there? If the picture quality is obviously better there then they 'can' fix it just have so far chosen not to fix the community connection issue. There are a limited number of 'points' where the signal is 'boosted' back to normal levels after losses due to the distance between amplifiers. At each point the teck can connect a live TV to test the actual image until the problem is 'nailed'. The normal diagnosis is to split in 1/2 at the half-way to your home point that eliminates 1/2 the system wiring, progressing to testing 1/2 of the bad half, to get to your home wiring. 

please keep us up on this until it is resolved. It may be necessary to document this to a DM to twitter @comcastcares as that path on multiple resolution failures ends up at corparate office level.

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

Yes, I have cloud DVR enabled. Video from tv.xfinity.com is fine. The cable head end where the main signal comes from claims to have no problems. There is a pizza place about 2 miles from my house that also has Comcast. I used to work there so when they weren't busy they let have the remote so I could look at different channels. At the pizza place the picture is crystal clear. The pizza place doesn't have X1 so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it but I wouldn't expect it to.

I'm currently communicating with someone from the office of Tom Karinshak who is the SVP of Customer Experience. I don't have Twitter and don't really want to sign up for it so that isn't really an option.

Expert

jimtv1983 wrote:

Yes, I have cloud DVR enabled. Video from tv.xfinity.com is fine. The cable head end where the main signal comes from claims to have no problems. There is a pizza place about 2 miles from my house that also has Comcast. I used to work there so when they weren't busy they let have the remote so I could look at different channels. At the pizza place the picture is crystal clear. The pizza place doesn't have X1 so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it but I wouldn't expect it to.

I'm currently communicating with someone from the office of Tom Karinshak who is the SVP of Customer Experience. I don't have Twitter and don't really want to sign up for it so that isn't really an option.

are you able to open the box (point where the cable enters your residence)? If so try connecting to a device with tv at that wire before it goes into your home (will need portable TV or some wire to extend to the inside set). This will show you the signal before any of your home wiring is 'used'.

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

Yep. I tried that too. I mentioned it in one of my previous comments on 8/31/2016. No change.

Regular Contributor

jimtv1983 wrote:

Yep. I tried that too. I mentioned it in one of my previous comments on 8/31/2016. No change.

I am really curious to see what if anything happens in your situation. I have similar story but for me, its only certain channels.  On things such as NBC Sunday Night Football, it looks great - a slight not even noticeable step down from OTA.  On HBO, it's almost unwatchable.  I use the HBO Go app on AppleTV via same input on the TV and it is honestly a DVD to Bluray type increase in PQ. The overall darkness used in a show like Game of Thrones makes Comcast's HBO unwatchable.

4 year ago I lived in a townhouse and then moved to my current house - both are from the same Comcast location. When I moved in I had DirecTV for 3+ years but wanted to move to X1 as DirecTV UI and my old Genie was slow.  X1 is a huge improvement but I do not remember ever being disappointed by Comcast PQ like this - it was always a little less than Bluray/OTA but barely noticeable.

I know it isnt the TV ( Panasonic Viera TC-P60ST50 ) as I use the same input for Comcast, Bluray (Oppo) and AppleTV switched via Denon X4000 AVR.  I see the same on my other 2 TVs in the house also. 

My only guess at this point is it is the compression they are now using to squeeze all these channels in and they choose which ones are compressed more or less. I know that getting them to change that is almost impossible so I work around it and hope it changes. If or when comcast starts 4K, I am really curious how they are going to fit that into their pipe.  

New Poster

I literally switched from Uverse to X1 Saturday . I couldn't believe the difference in the  quality of the picture. Its drastically different . Like going from 1080p to 720 different. pixiliated , grainy and drag on high motion. 2nd call out today . The customer service is AWFUL ! as mentioned in this thread.  I ahve 7 HD TV's . I am no techie but understand enough about image resolution as 25 year printing guy that something isn't right. Assume its the spliting and pushing (boosting) of the data is getting compressed and blown out. if they cant fix this I'll go back to U verse  ASAP. Not settling for low resolution TV.

anyone know how to speak to some one locally in hte US that will help yuo through this conversation. 

I switched becasue of the contuing issues wiht Uverse 's internet. Comcast is way better ! Maybe split the services ?

tv U verse . Internet comcast..

Expert

steveh3 wrote:

I literally switched from Uverse to X1 Saturday . I couldn't believe the difference in the  quality of the picture. Its drastically different . Like going from 1080p to 720 different. pixiliated , grainy and drag on high motion. 2nd call out today . The customer service is AWFUL ! as mentioned in this thread.  I ahve 7 HD TV's . I am no techie but understand enough about image resolution as 25 year printing guy that something isn't right. Assume its the spliting and pushing (boosting) of the data is getting compressed and blown out. if they cant fix this I'll go back to U verse  ASAP. Not settling for low resolution TV.

anyone know how to speak to some one locally in hte US that will help yuo through this conversation. 

I switched becasue of the contuing issues wiht Uverse 's internet. Comcast is way better ! Maybe split the services ?

tv U verse . Internet comcast..

that is not how TV works now. The mpeg2/4 stream is sent via a quam chan it isn't re-transcoded/compressed the quality (streaming bit rate) is set by the provider of the content. Indeed, comcast can't change anything of a signal without written permission from the local broadcaster (if local) or the provider if it is from another source.

be sure your set top box is set to 1080i or p. It is probably best to put in 1080i and let your TV de-interlace the signal as it probably has much better signal processing capability/quality than the set top box. 

Contributor

It appears you are having a similar problem to me.

Here is a link to some public pictures on my Google Drive.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7rz2mRRttheOUFUejk3cDF0enM?usp=sharing

The images of Gotham on FOX from streaming and Comcast show a HUGE difference. Anything like what you are getting?

NOTE: I took this pictures using my TV's screenshot feature so it wasn't using a camera.

Contributor

That absolutely isn't true. Comcast is absolutely compressing the content it sends out. With MPEG-2 they were sending out like 3 TV channels per QAM channal. With MPEG-4 they are sending like 8 TV channels per QAM channel.

A 6Mhz QAM channel has a bandwidth of like 36Mbps. On MPEG-2 one TV channel would get an average of ~12Mbps. On MPEG-4 one TV channel would get like 4.5Mbps. Most TV networks send out at like 16-20Mbps.

Regular Contributor

jimtv1983 wrote:

The images of Gotham on FOX from streaming and Comcast show a HUGE difference. Anything like what you are getting?

NOTE: I took this pictures using my TV's screenshot feature so it wasn't using a camera.

Yep, this is exactly what I see. Anything with darker scenes is DVD like, such as your Gotham example.  btw, I am in the far NW Suburbs of chicago.  There are other threads where people say this same thing, especially with HBO.  

Expert

jimtv1983 wrote:

That absolutely isn't true. Comcast is absolutely compressing the content it sends out. With MPEG-2 they were sending out like 3 TV channels per QAM channal. With MPEG-4 they are sending like 8 TV channels per QAM channel.

A 6Mhz QAM channel has a bandwidth of like 36Mbps. On MPEG-2 one TV channel would get an average of ~12Mbps. On MPEG-4 one TV channel would get like 4.5Mbps. Most TV networks send out at like 16-20Mbps.

again that is not how it works. The bandwidth and multi modulation have room for a 1080 HD and 2 to 3 (depending on bit rates) SD channels. QAM is just the sending method the streams are restored. You know how long it takes to transcode? It isn't done on the fly. 

you do know that comcast can't change the bit rate nor the volume etc of cable nor broadcast channels without their written permission? (and in the case of mobile like cloud DVR you give permission in accepting terms and conditions to adjust the level of service bit rate "version" that is sent to you when using the cloud DVR).

Expert

charissamz wrote:

jimtv1983 wrote:

Yep, this is exactly what I see. Anything with darker scenes is DVD like, such as your Gotham example.  btw, I am in the far NW Suburbs of chicago.  There are other threads where people say this same thing, especially with HBO.  

the stream delivered is what the producers present to you. You can on many HD TVs modify the viewing experience with different adaptive viewing options like 'cinema' 'sports' etc. 

Regular Contributor

Rustyben wrote:

charissamz wrote:

jimtv1983 wrote:

the stream delivered is what the producers present to you. You can on many HD TVs modify the viewing experience with different adaptive viewing options like 'cinema' 'sports' etc. 

I honestly do not want to sound rude but I am not sure what you are talking about.  Of course you can change the viewing experience by changing your TV settings, but we are not.

Simplifying it all. A show such Gotham is produced in whatever way the producer wants. If I view that on the same input of my TV with the same settings the difference comes in from what I am watching it through - Comcast, DirecTV, AppleTV, streaming service, etc and the settings of that particular hardware or the hardware itself.  My example - I had DirecTV and switched to comcast, both their HD boxes were and are now set to 1080P. Now I realize that not all the shows are 1080p, most are 1080i and 720p, but that doesnt matter as we are comparing the same shows from the same networks.  However, the image quality is much worse on Comcast for me, nothing else has changed so the issue is either the way Comcast delivers the show or the hardware they deliver it through.  Its simple.  This is what DirecTV means when they claim they have higher quality HD, which I now believe is true. X1 is a far better UI/OS though. 

I have 3 different Comcast boxes and have had to swap one out and the quality is still worse than DirecTV was and worse than I get through AppleTV - same TV input, no other change.

The issue is how Comcast is delivering it (explains why some of us see this and some don't due to our areas) or the comcast hardware itself (this has been ruled out)

thank you

Expert

charissamz wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

charissamz wrote:

jimtv1983 wrote:

I honestly do not want to sound rude but I am not sure what you are talking about.  Of course you can change the viewing experience by changing your TV settings, but we are not.

Simplifying it all. A show such Gotham is produced in whatever way the producer wants. If I view that on the same input of my TV with the same settings the difference comes in from what I am watching it through - Comcast, DirecTV, AppleTV, streaming service, etc and the settings of that particular hardware or the hardware itself.  My example - I had DirecTV and switched to comcast, both their HD boxes were and are now set to 1080P. Now I realize that not all the shows are 1080p, most are 1080i and 720p, but that doesnt matter as we are comparing the same shows from the same networks.  However, the image quality is much worse on Comcast for me, nothing else has changed so the issue is either the way Comcast delivers the show or the hardware they deliver it through.  Its simple.  This is what DirecTV means when they claim they have higher quality HD, which I now believe is true. X1 is a far better UI/OS though. 

I have 3 different Comcast boxes and have had to swap one out and the quality is still worse than DirecTV was and worse than I get through AppleTV - same TV input, no other change.

The issue is how Comcast is delivering it (explains why some of us see this and some don't due to our areas) or the comcast hardware itself (this has been ruled out)

thank you

there are no cable channels in 1080p (blue ray player and other devices might do it). When you ask for 1080p as an output, a circuit de-interlaces the picture changing the image from interlaced to progressive (still pictures without alternating fields). This task is probably handled more cleanly by your television's circuitry (you put in 1080i) as they usually invest a lot in creating a good picture (better quality de-interlacer, comb filters).  The apparent reason comcast allows/requires you to pick a uniform output resolution is to stop the TV sets from having to reset resolution during program/commercial transitions.

for what it is worth, Comcast is on the road to put out channels/video in 720p eliminating any need for de-interlacing at all. 

Contributor

"for what it is worth, Comcast is on the road to put out channels/video in 720p eliminating any need for de-interlacing at all"

Please say it isn't so!

I just signed up and I have 24 more days before my 2 year contract requires me to pay to get out.  If there is even a remote chance of Comcast 'down-rezzing' everything to 720p I'll cancel now.  The picture quality already stinks and losing 1080i will only make it worse.

Can't be true right?