Community Forum

Picture Quality Poor for all programming (Live TV/On Demand/DVR Recordings)

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Picture Quathity Poor for all programming (Live TV/On Demand/DVR Recordings)

I am trying to raise awareness about picture settings....

As I said earlier, if you turn up the volume on an audio system too far, something will distort. If you turn up the bass too far, something will distort.

If you turn up the sharpness, color, contrast or brightness on a TV too far, something will distort. I watched it happen when my LG OLED was being calibrated.

1. The halfway point on most TV's sharpness adjustment should be considered the maximum. Most people should be adjusting downward from the halfway point. This is probably the biggest source of "mosquito noise".

2. Picture modes such as Vivid, Game, Photo, Sports or Dynamic are totally inaccurate and should never be used, especially in a dark room.

3. Features such as Dynamic Contrast, Noise Reduction, Edge Enhancer should ALL be turned off.

4. Any features related to motion such as TruMotion or CineMotion.should be turned off. I find it very interesting that the very features design to improve motion on LED TV sets actually makes it worse...

Repeating myself, maybe Comcast knows what they are doing in regards to the change to 720p. I will try not to judge until I see it for myself. However what I still don't understand is why are we messing around with 720p when 1080p has been around for over 10 years and 4k has now been around for three or four years. The whole things seems backwards to me.

Also, it appears that most people think the change to 720p is bandwidth related. That makes sense and it could very well be the case but I think there is more to it. I doubt Comcast would make this change unless they felt they could either save or make vast amounts of money...

@MrScott1 wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:
I constantly compare X1's picture quality to over the air on a calibrated 65" LG OLED (possibly the best TV ever made to date). They are extremely close.

Comparing X1 to Blu-ray is totally invalid.

On a properly adjusted and decent quality TV, there is nothing seriously wrong with X1's picture quality. At least in my market.

There you go. This is the correct assessment in bold red. You keep defending Comcast's picture in markets you have no idea about. I'm not sure why you go to such great lengths to affirm that Comcast has such a great picture, it's odd. They might in your market, but there is considerable drop off elsewhere.

Regular Contributor

Re: Picture Quathity Poor for all programming (Live TV/On Demand/DVR Recordings)

Repeating myself, maybe Comcast knows what they are doing in regards to the change to 720p. I will try not to judge until I see it for myself. However what I still don't understand is why are we messing around with 720p when 1080p has been around for over 10 years and 4k has now been around for three or four years. The whole things seems backwards to me.

Also, it appears that most people think the change to 720p is bandwidth related. That makes sense and it could very well be the case but I think there is more to it. I doubt Comcast would make this change unless they felt they could either save or make vast amounts of money...

I can only hope they "know what they are doing" .  I said it before, if this is a 1 step back to go 2 steps forward move I could accept it.  If they are doing this to then offer some sort of upgraded experience that is 1080p/4k, AppleTV App, IPTV, etc then I can accept it.  They know the traditional TV experience is changing so perhaps this is the case.  Right now you can download the Xfinity app on your smartphone and it almost mirrors what a traditional cable box can do.  Give me that on AppleTV with a high quality picture coming through the internet and I would be happy.  You know they would charge you for this app as it would mean they would lose out on cable box rental revenue, I would be fine with that.  

Gold Problem Solver

Yes it occurred to me this change could be to accommodate streaming services. However I have a Roku 2 (1080p), a Roku 4 (4K) and a Roku Ultra (4K plus HDR) so in regards to streaming I am in a pretty good place...
Regular Contributor

@RickGr4 wrote:

There ya go. Stuff more channels into same bandwidth, saves vast amounts of money. It is odd that they'd be regressing to 720p in this era of movement to 4k. I guarantee you, if I had a choice of high bandwidth internet providers and I wasn't saving substantial money bundling TV and Internet (versus my old Comcast internet + DirecTV), I'd dump their low quality TV signal in a heart-beat. As it is, we're mostly watching Amazon Fire streaming these days, I may dump Comcast TV altogether still.

Expert

@charissamz wrote:

@MrScott1 wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:
I constantly compare X1's picture quality to over the air on a calibrated 65" LG OLED (possibly the best TV ever made to date). They are extremely close.

On a properly adjusted and decent quality TV, there is nothing seriously wrong with X1's picture quality. At least in my market.

There you go. This is the correct assessment in bold red. You keep defending Comcast's picture in markets you have no idea about. I'm not sure why you go to such great lengths to affirm that Comcast has such a great picture, it's odd. They might in your market, but there is considerable drop off elsewhere.

In his defense he did actually say something against comcast a little further down in this thread. I was shocked, hehe.  RickGr4 might be coming around and when he gets this "upgrade" I think he will not be happy. 

I came across this thread over at broadband reports that goes more into this.  I found it interesting and others here may as well. Maybe it is just early but I can't believe more people aren't flipping out about this. Surely there are more people that care about picture quality and have a TV larger than 32" and sit closer than 10', right? 

there is so much misinformation on picture quality. 1080i is  60 1/2 pics per second (frames) = 30 'images per second' but they are not the sample of the same image if the cameria or objects are moving. 720p60 is full images one at at time not unlike the old fair entertainment 'fan' of still pictures that are made to look like a moving image. (video: youtube mutoscope)

the idea of 60 images being available to encode very small movments is a good thing not a bad thing. the key part of 720p60 is the 60. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

You cannot get around the simple fact that a 1080x1920 picture is comprising 2,073,600 pixels vs 1280x720 at 921,600 pixels. Regardless of how it is drawn, that is a huge loss of resolution, and is especially noticeable at larger screens.

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@charissamz wrote:

@MrScott1 wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

In his defense he did actually say something against comcast a little further down in this thread. I was shocked, hehe.  RickGr4 might be coming around and when he gets this "upgrade" I think he will not be happy. 

I came across this thread over at broadband reports that goes more into this.  I found it interesting and others here may as well. Maybe it is just early but I can't believe more people aren't flipping out about this. Surely there are more people that care about picture quality and have a TV larger than 32" and sit closer than 10', right? 

there is so much misinformation on picture quality. 1080i is  60 1/2 pics per second (frames) = 30 'images per second' but they are not the sample of the same image if the cameria or objects are moving. 720p60 is full images one at at time not unlike the old fair entertainment 'fan' of still pictures that are made to look like a moving image. (video: youtube mutoscope)

the idea of 60 images being available to encode very small movments is a good thing not a bad thing. the key part of 720p60 is the 60. 

That is great and I agree but real world experience of what comcast is doing doesnt support what you are saying.  It looks awful and there is nothing good about this in its current form. Simple as that. 

Contributor

RustyBen - if you'd like to see the result of Comcast's 720p 'upgrade' you are welcome to come to Utah and see how it compares to DirecTV.  Even comparing ESPN that is 720p on both DirecTV and Comcast shows Comcast has serious issues.  They must be bit-starving to cram more channels into their system?

Whatever the reason the picture quality on Comcast is much lower than DirecTV and OTA.  Come to Utah Saturday before I turn in my equipment and see it with your own eyes.  No need to take my word for it.

Expert

@mgreer wrote:

RustyBen - if you'd like to see the result of Comcast's 720p 'upgrade' you are welcome to come to Utah and see how it compares to DirecTV.  Even comparing ESPN that is 720p on both DirecTV and Comcast shows Comcast has serious issues.  They must be bit-starving to cram more channels into their system?

Whatever the reason the picture quality on Comcast is much lower than DirecTV and OTA.  Come to Utah Saturday before I turn in my equipment and see it with your own eyes.  No need to take my word for it.

QAM 64 or 256 isn't about 'cramming' or compressing (with loss of data) etc it is a coax method of putting many signals in different phases so the same 6mhz channel can convey more data throughput. This is similar to using fiber 'glass' and several different color Lasers at the same time. the QAM is just a suitcase that delivers mpeg2/4 streams to your x1 set top box using coax and street distribution. It isn't about reducing delivered mpeg2/4 bit stream. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@charissamz wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@charissamz wrote:

@MrScott1 wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

That is great and I agree but real world experience of what comcast is doing doesnt support what you are saying.  It looks awful and there is nothing good about this in its current form. Simple as that. 

how have you verified your area has converted to 720p60 and mpeg4 ?

Regular Contributor

Not technically. The only verification I have is my neighbor still has an old non X1 box and channels that should be 1080i are 720p when set to "native". I have also spoke to a few AVSForum members in my area about it.

Do you know a way to officially check?
Expert

@charissamz wrote:
Not technically. The only verification I have is my neighbor still has an old non X1 box and channels that should be 1080i are 720p when set to "native". I have also spoke to a few AVSForum members in my area about it.

Do you know a way to officially check?

long press 2-3 seconds of exit then quickly press/release down down 2

press down to system hit OK button you will be in in-band network. on the right when it fills in for all 6 tuners wil be the mpeg type. since they said mpeg4 will be 720p60 guess i don't have it still as it says mpeg2 (the local broadcast channels that are HD will stay mpeg2 based on other sources).

Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@mgreer wrote:

QAM 64 or 256 isn't about 'cramming' or compressing (with loss of data) etc it is a coax method of putting many signals in different phases so the same 6mhz channel can convey more data throughput. This is similar to using fiber 'glass' and several different color Lasers at the same time. the QAM is just a suitcase that delivers mpeg2/4 streams to your x1 set top box using coax and street distribution. It isn't about reducing delivered mpeg2/4 bit stream. 

I guess I don't understand what you are trying to say.  They crank up the compression, which lowers the picture quality, so they can get more 720p channers per QAM.  The more they lower the quality the more channels they can fit per QAM.

Basicly the more they compress the more channels and the more $$$ they make.

Offer still stands if you want to come to Utah and see the difference between their new and improved 720p channels with DirecTV and OTA 1080i and 720p.

Expert

@mgreer wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@mgreer wrote:

I guess I don't understand what you are trying to say.  They crank up the compression, which lowers the picture quality, so they can get more 720p channers per QAM.  The more they lower the quality the more channels they can fit per QAM.

Offer still stands if you want to come to Utah and see the difference between their new and improved 720p channels with DirecTV and OTA 1080i and 720p.

were you around to see the betamax/VHS wars? the betamax had superior picture (engineer verified) but the VHS was portable didn't need adjustments when moved or installed and the tapes were easier/cheaper to make. VHS won, Betamax faded to oblivion.

there is a fixation on numbers without the understanding of what they mean, in that 1000 is bigger than 700 so must be better. But the real quality part is "P" (progressive aka whole complete images) and add to that  60 frames per second of them. the "i" is for interlace and takes a lot of estimation/computation etc trying to rebuild a single picture out of 2 different parts of 2 different points in time approximately 1/30th of a second apart.

anyway at some point there will be an understanding that 60 whole images per second (like still images) is better than 30 1/2 + 1/2 of different images 'merged' together with math at rate of 30 pictures per second. that is why the 'idea' that 1080i is really 1080/2 = 540 resolution images pasted together with estimation of the difference in the two fields.

Silver Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

@mgreer wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@mgreer wrote:

were you around to see the betamax/VHS wars? the betamax had superior picture (engineer verified) but the VHS was portable didn't need adjustments when moved or installed and the tapes were easier/cheaper to make. VHS won, Betamax faded to oblivion.

there is a fixation on numbers without the understanding of what they mean, in that 1000 is bigger than 700 so must be better. But the real quality part is "P" (progressive aka whole complete images) and add to that  60 frames per second of them. the "i" is for interlace and takes a lot of estimation/computation etc trying to rebuild a single picture out of 2 different parts of 2 different points in time approximately 1/30th of a second apart.

anyway at some point there will be an understanding that 60 whole images per second (like still images) is better than 30 1/2 + 1/2 of different images 'merged' together with math at rate of 30 pictures per second. that is why the 'idea' that 1080i is really 1080/2 = 540 resolution images pasted together with estimation of the difference in the two fields.

When I set my X1 DVR to 720p60, it is passed through my Onkyo receiver and then my Samsung TV says it upconverts that signal to 1080p60.

This is all VERY confusing.  Do I change all my TV's to 720p60 even though they can upconvert any 720p60 source to 1080p60?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

Thanks for that info. Here is what I get on my XG2. 4 tuners - 2 are mpeg4 and 2 say mpeg2. My XG1-A is downstairs and I am lazy right now but I can check that also. I have 1 of those and 2 XG2s
image.jpg
Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@mgreer wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@mgreer wrote:

When I set my X1 DVR to 720p60, it is passed through my Onkyo receiver and then my Samsung TV says it upconverts that signal to 1080p60.

This is all VERY confusing.  Do I change all my TV's to 720p60 even though they can upconvert any 720p60 source to 1080p60?

You really bring up a good question. In device settings >> video output resolution I have already set to 720p. but your question made me notice that 1080p60 setting has the '60' but the 720 does not. 

I'd like to know from comcast what the 16:9,720p HD setting's refresh rate is now (30 or 60). They should update resolution menu to say the 'rate' and if the 720p is actually 720p30 then we need a 720p60 resolution menu choice if the firmware can do it

Expert

@charissamz wrote:
Thanks for that info. Here is what I get on my XG2. 4 tuners - 2 are mpeg4 and 2 say mpeg2. My XG1-A is downstairs and I am lazy right now but I can check that also. I have 1 of those and 2 XG2s

re: mpeg2/4 note that local channels will be in mpeg2 only even for HD (I can't remember where I read that).

Silver Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@mgreer wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@mgreer wrote:

You really bring up a good question. In device settings >> video output resolution I have already set to 720p. but your question made me notice that 1080p60 setting has the '60' but the 720 does not. 

I'd like to know from comcast what the 16:9,720p HD setting's refresh rate is now (30 or 60). They should update resolution menu to say the 'rate' and if the 720p is actually 720p30 then we need a 720p60 resolution menu choice if the firmware can do it

I totally agree.  We need an update from Comcast on this; it's important.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@mgreer wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@mgreer wrote:

sorry for the 2nd reply, guess i'm not awake yet. TVs do upconvert (scale) but they don't change it to a particular industry standard. Flat screen digital TV takes whatever it gets and reads the data and builds its own proprietary internal format  that is then delivered to the TV's display panel. The 'number' you 'see' from the TV is the incoming resolution. 

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@charissamz wrote:

re: mpeg2/4 note that local channels will be in mpeg2 only even for HD (I can't remember where I read that).

So I have been "upgraded" as I thought?  Disappointing, when you said that I had hope that I just wasn't seeing a better picture yet.  Locals look great, especially NBC.  The channels that look bad are the ones I have read have been downrezzed and that is on 3 TV's in my house, even a 50" from 10'-15' back you can see it. Even my wife sees it and that is saying a lot!

Here is the interesting thing. If I turn on NBC and switch the cable box to 720p, NBC still looks good.  So as I know and you and others have said, 720p can look just as good and in many cases better but Comcast is doing something odd with this downrez "upgrade". It isn't the box that is messing up the picture, its something in their feed or what they are doing elsewhere. 

Silver Problem Solver

deleted
Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@mgreer wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@mgreer wrote:

Yes - I was around for the VHS/Beta wars - this is not the same thing.

There is a fixation not on the numbers but on how bad Comcast's picture quality is compared to OTA and DirecTV.  If Comcast's picture quality was the same as DirecTV and OTA I wouldn't care what numbers you put to it.  Sad fact is the quality is not even close.

I agree that generally 'Progressive' is better than 'Interlaced' but you seem to be ignoring the fact that half of the detail/pixels are dropped when 720p is done correctly let alone when 720p is done the way Comcast is doing it.  1080i has more detail - 720p is smoother which you prefer is up to you but I think it would difficult to find anyone that prefers what Comcast is doing if they could see the results side-by-side with DirecTV.

I have a very good understanding of how 720p works vs 1080i - that's not the issue.  The issue is that Comcast is giving up a good chuck of picture detail and then over-compressing that result.  That's what is giving the poor 720p results.  Comparing ESPN 720p from DirecTV with ESPN 720p on Comcast shows without a doubt Comcast is seriously screwing up picture quality.

Anyone that wants to compare DirecTV, OTA and Comcast is welcome to see it on all three of my displays as long as they can be in Utah this Saturday before I return my Comcast equipment.  No need to argue about what's better or worse when you can see it with your own eyes.

I personally prefer to have the 1080i detail rather than giving it up for smother fast action you'd normally get with 720p but Comcast's new 720p takes away the detail AND the smooth fast action.  There is no gain in picture quality with their 'upgrade' to 720p - at least not in the Salt Lake City market.

It's hard for me to believe that I actually sound pro-DirecTV...  DirecTV does horrible stupid things and their DVRs are very 90's - but the picture quality is way out in front of Comcast.

Silver Problem Solver

@mgreer wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@mgreer wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@mgreer wrote:

There is a fixation not on the numbers but on how bad Comcast's picture quality is compared to OTA and DirecTV.  If Comcast's picture quality was the same as DirecTV and OTA I wouldn't care what numbers you put to it.  Sad fact is the quality is not even close.

I agree that generally 'Progressive' is better than 'Interlaced' but you seem to be ignoring the fact that half of the detail/pixels are dropped when 720p is done correctly let alone when 720p is done the way Comcast is doing it.  1080i has more detail - 720p is smoother which you prefer is up to you but I think it would difficult to find anyone that prefers what Comcast is doing if they could see the results side-by-side with DirecTV.

I have a very good understanding of how 720p works vs 1080i - that's not the issue.  The issue is that Comcast is giving up a good chuck of picture detail and then over-compressing that result.  That's what is giving the poor 720p results.  Comparing ESPN 720p from DirecTV with ESPN 720p on Comcast shows without a doubt Comcast is seriously screwing up picture quality.

Anyone that wants to compare DirecTV, OTA and Comcast is welcome to see it on all three of my displays as long as they can be in Utah this Saturday before I return my Comcast equipment.  No need to argue about what's better or worse when you can see it with your own eyes.

I personally prefer to have the 1080i detail rather than giving it up for smother fast action you'd normally get with 720p but Comcast's new 720p takes away the detail AND the smooth fast action.  There is no gain in picture quality with their 'upgrade' to 720p - at least not in the Salt Lake City market.

It's hard for me to believe that I actually sound pro-DirecTV...  DirecTV does horrible stupid things and their DVRs are very 90's - but the picture quality is way out in front of Comcast.

My son tells me the same thing about his DirectTV service at his apartment.  But his TV is a 32" LED and mine is a 60" LED.

Regular Contributor

@mgreer wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@mgreer wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@mgreer wrote:

Yes, THIS! This is what it comes down to, PQ. Comcast can use all the jargen they want but you can see the difference. Simple as that. 

Also, I completely agree with the comment about DirecTV DVR.  I had the Genie system and it was slow, laggy, non-intuitive and I had issues with rain and snow storms.  I kind of thought there would be a drop in PQ but not this much. Ic an handle a little but this is night and day.

Contributor

Good luck all - I returned my euquipment and will be sticking with DirecTV unless/until Comcast fixes the picture quality problems.

Regular Contributor

One of the comcast people on here reached out and said they would send a tech.  I agreed, I figured it couldn't hurt to have a tech come out and check everything, again. The tech came today and said all of my signals, lines, etc are in perfect working order except the upstairs bedroom line wasn't as good as it is the only line that still has a 59 cable because it is an attic feed. Funny thing is this TV has the better picture but that is more because of the TV itself - smaller, etc. A great tech, when he saw my media room we started talking home theater, etc. I could tell he knew about AV. He also lives in the same area as me.

Long story short. Let's just say even the service techs know the quality issue and the push to free up internet bandwidth at the expense of TV quality. He even said he waits for Ondemand because Ondemand doesn't "yet" do what is being done to certain channels. He mentioned IPTV without STB's and upcoming changes that are in the works, wireless boxes, netflix, etc.

So, I am just going to have to accept it and next year either go back to DirecTV or hopefully Comcast has a newer product/service that allows for the type of HD we all watched years ago.  I can see the day where Comcast gives people 4K and all it really is, is just a good HD feed but people were so used to their HD Lite, they get excited. 

Regular Contributor

Looks like other people across the country are starting to notice their "upgrade"...

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/Bring-back-1080i-VIDEO-for-HBO-Hallmark-AMC-Br...

Regular Contributor

Last update on this. I figured I would let those that I have talked to about know.

Below is my reply from Comcast via my FCC complaint. I will be moving back to DirecTV and will begin working to get out of my contract.  I get that they are doing this for various reasons but the lack of acknowledging that the picture quality is worse is what really bothers me.  Put all of this tech talk aside and use your eyes - the picture is worse on channels they did this too - simple as that. Anyone that comes into these threads saying the opposite either hasn't had this done in their area yet, works for comcast or were using an S-Video cable to watch HDTV in the past anyway (meaning they have no idea)....

My only hope is this is a 1 step backwards to go 2 steps forward move and we get the xfinity app via devices such as AppleTV or IP delivery which will result back to the format the channel is providing. I just won;t be here to see it.

Here is their reply from my FCC complaint. 

-----------------------------

Dear Mr. Zi---,

Thank you for contacting our executive offices regarding your Comcast related issues. We appreciate your feedback and always invite the opportunity to improve our customer service experience. On behalf of Comcast and the Executive Care Office, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience and/or frustration we may have caused while working to resolve your issue. It is never our intention to make the resolution process difficult.

As part of our recent HD Enhanced Program, we recently changed and upgraded the way we deliver HD channels in your area. Upon the recent change of the HD Enhanced Program, we are currently using MPEG-4 Technology which allows us to deliver crystal-clear HD signals. While we understand that specific programming may not be delivered in the 1080i format, Our engineering teams have done rigorous testing and study on the formats delivered and reached a conclusion that we are able to provide the best quality to our customers using the 720P format.

We truly appreciate your feedback regarding your customer service experience. Our department will forward your comments and concerns to our engineering team for future suggestions regarding our HD programming and the way it is delivered.

We look forward to providing you quality, reliable services and a positive customer service experience in the future.  We appreciate you affording us the opportunity to resolve your concerns and we thank you for continuing to be a Comcast customer.  For future questions or concerns please contact our customer service team at 800-266-2278.

Sincerely,

Greg M.

Comcast Cable Communications

Executive Care Specialist

M-F 11am-8pm cst

Contributor

I hope you are able to get out of your contract but in past experience I'm afraid it's a very long shot.

Luckily for me their 'upgrade' to 720p was complete in my area when I signed up and I was able to drop the TV before my 30 day get-out-of-h e l l time expired.

Regardless of what the letter says Comcast's 720p video quality, or more accurately 'lack of quality', is a huge down-grade.

Even the channels that are 720p to begin with like ESPN and ABC are noticeably degraded compared to over-the-air and DirecTV.

At least in the Salt Lake City market I wouldn't even consider their HD channels to be HD.  You get much better quality using over-the-air, DirecTV, Apple TV, and Roku.  

If you care about HD picture quality the new HD from Comcast is not for you.

Best of luck.

Silver Problem Solver

@charissamz wrote:

Last update on this. I figured I would let those that I have talked to about know.

Below is my reply from Comcast via my FCC complaint. I will be moving back to DirecTV and will begin working to get out of my contract.  I get that they are doing this for various reasons but the lack of acknowledging that the picture quality is worse is what really bothers me.  Put all of this tech talk aside and use your eyes - the picture is worse on channels they did this too - simple as that. Anyone that comes into these threads saying the opposite either hasn't had this done in their area yet, works for comcast or were using an S-Video cable to watch HDTV in the past anyway (meaning they have no idea)....

My only hope is this is a 1 step backwards to go 2 steps forward move and we get the xfinity app via devices such as AppleTV or IP delivery which will result back to the format the channel is providing. I just won;t be here to see it.

Here is their reply from my FCC complaint. 

-----------------------------

Dear Mr. Zi---,

Thank you for contacting our executive offices regarding your Comcast related issues. We appreciate your feedback and always invite the opportunity to improve our customer service experience. On behalf of Comcast and the Executive Care Office, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience and/or frustration we may have caused while working to resolve your issue. It is never our intention to make the resolution process difficult.

As part of our recent HD Enhanced Program, we recently changed and upgraded the way we deliver HD channels in your area. Upon the recent change of the HD Enhanced Program, we are currently using MPEG-4 Technology which allows us to deliver crystal-clear HD signals. While we understand that specific programming may not be delivered in the 1080i format, Our engineering teams have done rigorous testing and study on the formats delivered and reached a conclusion that we are able to provide the best quality to our customers using the 720P format.

We truly appreciate your feedback regarding your customer service experience. Our department will forward your comments and concerns to our engineering team for future suggestions regarding our HD programming and the way it is delivered.

We look forward to providing you quality, reliable services and a positive customer service experience in the future.  We appreciate you affording us the opportunity to resolve your concerns and we thank you for continuing to be a Comcast customer.  For future questions or concerns please contact our customer service team at 800-266-2278.

Sincerely,

Greg M.

Comcast Cable Communications

Executive Care Specialist

M-F 11am-8pm cst

I live in Houston.  I do not work for Comcast.  I have six TV's connected by HDMI to three X1 DVR's, two XG2's, and one XID.

It appears Houston has been converted to 720p.

Since I can't do a before and after comparison, I have no idea whether my picture is degraded or not.  I just know that the picture on my 60" Samsung 3D LED TV doesn't look any different.  When I tune to a 720P channel like my local ABC channel, I see my TV switch from 720P to 1080P.  

When I switch the TV from the X1 source to my OTA source on local channels, they seem slightly better than the Comcast picture.  But not enough to make me drop Comcast TV.

I have an excellent  coax installation with no splitters.  Comcast had to repair a head-end at the end of the street after the power company damaged it while they were working on their lines.

All my 200+ channels don't seem any different.

Regular Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

I live in Houston.  I do not work for Comcast.  I have six TV's connected by HDMI to three X1 DVR's, two XG2's, and one XID.

It appears Houston has been converted to 720p.

Since I can't do a before and after comparison, I have no idea whether my picture is degraded or not.  I just know that the picture on my 60" Samsung 3D LED TV doesn't look any different.  When I tune to a 720P channel like my local ABC channel, I see my TV switch from 720P to 1080P.  

When I switch the TV from the X1 source to my OTA source on local channels, they seem slightly better than the Comcast picture.  But not enough to make me drop Comcast TV.

I have an excellent  coax installation with no splitters.  Comcast had to repair a head-end at the end of the street after the power company damaged it while they were working on their lines.

All my 200+ channels don't seem any different.

Compare a darker scene from HBO's Westworld or AMC's The Walking Dead Live/recorded vs OnDemand and you can see what it looks like. The ondemand is still the way it used to look pre "Enhanced HD".  If you really want to see a difference then watch one of those via HBO Go or AMC app on an AppleTV or simialr device. Also, this doesn't apply to local channels as those have not been touched.

If you still don't see a difference I wonder if the way they go about converting 1080i to 720p in different markets is at play, if that is the case I would have hope but I am guessing you are just not sensitive to it. 

As for your TV, it will always say what you set your X1 box to.  If you set your X1 box to 1080p60 thats what your TV will read, its not what you're actually getting. Back before X1 you could set the box as "native" which would then allow the TV to display the correct resolution.  Your TV just sees what the X1 box is upconverting to. There are some people that will now set their X1 boxes to 720p or 1080i (no broadcasts via comcast are 1080p) and let the TV do the upconverting because it can have a better processor in it than your X1 box.  

New Poster

I have the same problem from my side after upgraded to X1 device durng the thankinggiving holiday.

Swapped to DVR but it didn't help, I am going to request to use old TV setup box to see if any improvment. It is very disappointed to me after I signed up one year contact and got the poor display quality.

New Poster

I have looked thru this forum after I got rid of Directv. I know see a huge difference in picture quality after making sure my settings in the Xfinity "device" set up show 1080p60. Some channels like BBC World News now show as SD 9lowest possible resolution there is). It used to be 1080p quality in DTV. My Onkyo receiver tells me what is getting and what is putting out to the TV and it is getting 720p video and 2 channel PCM on all channels, even premiums. That means that we also not getting enhanced sound like 5.1 stereo that I was getting with DTV. Has anyone experience degraded sound also?

Silver Problem Solver

It appears my channel lineup only has an SD channel (233).  Your account has a place where it lists your channel lineup.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/local-channel-lineup

Expert
Moved:

New Poster

They are trained, there never going to admit it... techs and company leave a poor taste in my mouth  ......

Expert
Moved:

Picture Quality Poor for all programming (Live TV/On Demand/DVR Recordings)

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Picture Quality Poor for all programming (Live TV/On Demand/DVR Recordings)

3 plus year old thread closed

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!