Community Forum

Picture Freezing

Regular Contributor

Picture Freezing

Just wondering if anyone else has the problem when Changing channels using Arris DVR everyday the picture will freeze. I don't think it's my signal I think it's the current software version on Comcast of Garden State, NJ system ( 08054 )
Problem Solver

Re: Picture Freezing

tstack wrote:
Just wondering if anyone else has the problem when Changing channels using Arris DVR everyday the picture will freeze. I don't think it's my signal I think it's the current software version on Comcast of Garden State, NJ system ( 08054 )

This is the first I've heard of the problem. Do others in your area experience the freezing? Localized issue maybe?

Tags (1)
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the reply back. Happened again this morning at 6:20 AM. Picture will freeze while changing channels (Live TV). No problems with dvr recordings.

Regular Contributor

Happened again this morning. Picture freezes when changing channel only with "Live TV". I have 3 way splitter being used ( to X1, Tivo & modem) could this be the problem??? Never happens when watching "Live TV" with Tivo so maybe the DVR box???

Gold Problem Solver

Could be the box, could be defective signal related. X1 boxes are more signal sensitive than your modem.

Suggest you have Comcast send a tech out. If the box is bad or you have connection issues outside of your house you won't be charged. The tech can test your signals.
Regular Contributor

Tech installed a MoCA Filter. So far no problems.

Regular Contributor

Spoke too soon, Happened 3 times last night. Going to exchange Arris box when I get a chance this week.
New Poster

I am having the same issue. I am on my 3rd X1 box and the tech also installed the MoCA filter. No one can seem to figure out what is wrong. Live tv freezes at least once a day while changing channels, I can still use the guide and other menus though. If I change the channel while it's frozen the audio will change to the new station it's just the live tv that freezes. I have to pull the pull on the box or restart it through the menu. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you.
Regular Contributor

Went to Xfinity store today received an Arris X1 dvr and 2 hours later "Picture/Screen" frozen when I changed channels. At this point it's not the box. Can Mod's please look into? I have the Moca filter and still having issues.
Gold Problem Solver

Broken record repeating myself once again.

The symptoms you are reporting are CLASSIC deficient signal level related. If you have not had a Comcast tech out to your house, you need one. If you have had a Comcast tech out you need another one.

tstack wrote:
Went to Xfinity store today received an Arris X1 dvr and 2 hours later "Picture/Screen" frozen when I changed channels. At this point it's not the box. Can Mod's please look into? I have the Moca filter and still having issues.

Regular Contributor

Thanks I did have a Tech out last Sunday he installed Moca filter and said my signals were fine. I can only take the guys word on it I'm not the expert he is but I will put another service call in today.
Regular Contributor

Had 2 Techs rewire everything yesterday and they checked TAP. They said all signals were good. Still having issues when I change the channel with X1 DVR  box. Picture/screen will freeze right after guide/Logo goes away. The Tech mention could be HDMI Handshake issue. Have a Sony Bravia (2008) HDTV. So this morning did a Factory Reset of TV and it did it again this morning. I had a Tivo Premiere for 7 years hooked with same TV and had no issues with screen freezing when changing channels. Need suggestions. Also the TV firmware is update.

Gold Problem Solver

Sounds like you need to either replace X1 or replace the TV.

TV's have improved a great deal since 2008...

tstack wrote:

Had 2 Techs rewire everything yesterday and they checked TAP. They said all signals were good. Still having issues when I change the channel with X1 DVR  box. Picture/screen will freeze right after guide/Logo goes away. The Tech mention could be HDMI Handshake issue. Have a Sony Bravia (2008) HDTV. So this morning did a Factory Reset of TV and it did it again this morning. I had a Tivo Premiere for 7 years hooked with same TV and had no issues with screen freezing when changing channels. Need suggestions. Also the TV firmware is update.

Gold Problem Solver

X1 boxes having handshake issues with older TV sets is fairly well known to this forum. 

A TV from 2008 could be a native 720p set. Have you tried setting the X1 box to 720p?

You could switch to component connections...

tstack wrote:

New Poster

My picture has frozen three times today. Have had to rebot each time.  Went online to xfimity site to troubleshoot, but no chat was available.

Silver Problem Solver

td9586 wrote:

My picture has frozen three times today. Have had to rebot each time.  Went online to xfimity site to troubleshoot, but no chat was available.

Sounds like it is an issue with the feed into your residence.  I've had luck just calling 1800comcast and ask for an agent.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Recently having issues with picture freezing. Had the aystem in place for a few months and now the picture freezes. My tv connected to the main box has zero issues but all the other tvs connected with the smaller slave boxes freeze and stay frozen. My internet works just fine. Ive rebooted the router, main dvr box, and the slaves boxes over and over trying to fix it with no luck. Any suggestions?

Expert

Kwamster wrote:

Recently having issues with picture freezing. Had the aystem in place for a few months and now the picture freezes. My tv connected to the main box has zero issues but all the other tvs connected with the smaller slave boxes freeze and stay frozen. My internet works just fine. Ive rebooted the router, main dvr box, and the slaves boxes over and over trying to fix it with no luck. Any suggestions?

do you have a DVR XG1 and/or an XG2 companion? how many set top boxes of each type do you have (may be a MoCA or a Hub device problem).

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

How do I know which version I have? Thr system is less than 4mths old. I have 4 little boxes abt the size of a walkman (LOL) and the one large DVR box (the only one that works)
Expert

Kwamster wrote:
How do I know which version I have? Thr system is less than 4mths old. I have 4 little boxes abt the size of a walkman (LOL) and the one large DVR box (the only one that works)

sounds like an X1 setup. The small boxes have a label under them the DVR label will be on the back. if they are satellite set top boxes, you might want to swap one of them for the larger xg2 hub (same price) that has 3 tuners extra to loan out to the other boxes giving you 5 or 6 tuners in the DVR to record programming at the same time. Try this fix. unplug all the set top boxes. plug in the DVR and let it come up to live TV. check your modem/gateway on the back for a lighted LED that says MoCA. If on, unplug the modem too. then plug in the small set top boxes one at a time letting them completely get to live TV. If you had to unplug the modem, plug it back in now. did it work?

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

Working one one tv so far. A little choppy (but not freezing) so i didnt plug in another set top box. I have a tech coming on Wed.

New Poster

I have the same issue of freezing when changing channels. I also have a Sony bravia from around '08... Are you saying I need to tell my wife we need a new TV? That would be a.... shame muhahaha

Just rebooted, and now it won't let me change channels or use the voice button. How my tv auto tuned fo the freeform channel after reboot is beyond me
Silver Problem Solver

My suggestion is to schedule a tech visit especially if you are paying for the service protection plan.

Expert

RWG23 wrote:
I have the same issue of freezing when changing channels. I also have a Sony bravia from around '08... Are you saying I need to tell my wife we need a new TV? That would be a.... shame muhahaha

Just rebooted, and now it won't let me change channels or use the voice button. How my tv auto tuned fo the freeform channel after reboot is beyond me

when you press channel up on your remote, what LED color(s) do you see on the xfinity remote?

Official Employee

Hello, and thank you for reaching out to us. I would be happy to assist you from here. Can you verify your account information with me? I would need your phone number, full name, and  full service address. You can private message me by clicking my name and clicking private message.

New Poster

Tech came out just before Christmas - sorry for the late follow up. He had to replace all the small boxes with the larger modules. Everything works great now. No more freezing. I had to keep a small box on 1 tv because of how I have it mounted and the service routed to the tv - it still freezes on occasion, but not as bad as it used to. Just every now and then but only for a few seconds. It used to freeze and just die. I can live with it given the alternative to reinstall all my equipment to accomodate the larger box. We don't use that tv very often anyway. 

It was a pain getting here though. The tech went box by box... I guess he was hoping that he woudln't have to replace them all. Took about 5hrs! After the 2nd box was replaced it was obvious that the little boxes just wouldn't work (we assumed with more larger modules that the remaining little boxes would have more connection points to piggy back on, but it didn't help at all) but he kept chipping away at it. Moral of the story... if you have more than a couple TV's demand that you get the larger set top units and stay away from the small units since they piggy back off of the larger boxes.

Expert
Moved:

Official Employee

@Kwamster - Thank you for letting us know about your experience and I'm glad to hear that issue has been resolved. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.