Community Forum

No signal message after Tv is turned on (X1 and Sony Bravia UHD 4K)

New Poster

Re: No signal message after Tv is turned on (X1 and Sony Bravia UHD 4K)

Same problem on Samsung with New 4K box. Not TVs. Comcast problem. Please provide procedure to fix.
Expert

@Clags wrote:
Same problem on Samsung with New 4K box. Not TVs. Comcast problem. Please provide procedure to fix.

go into settings and turn off power saver mode. (device settings >> Power preferences). be sure no one is manually powering off the set top box via the front panel. check to see if the HDMI socket is CEC enabled and turn it off or move to a non-CEC HDMI input.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

My issue is a little different - I think,  After watching TV 15 minutes or so I would get the same error message. Previously I had my HDMI cable in port2  but I switched it to 4 thinking this would resolve the issue unfortunately that didn't work. Every 15 minutes or so I have to turn my TV back as it auttomatically turns off after a 1 minutes of receiving the message. This is very irritating. My TV is relatively new, I recently installed a patch recommened by Sony and my X1 box is about 2 years old 

Expert

@stcroix87 wrote:

My issue is a little different - I think,  After watching TV 15 minutes or so I would get the same error message. Previously I had my HDMI cable in port2  but I switched it to 4 thinking this would resolve the issue unfortunately that didn't work. Every 15 minutes or so I have to turn my TV back as it auttomatically turns off after a 1 minutes of receiving the message. This is very irritating. My TV is relatively new, I recently installed a patch recommened by Sony and my X1 box is about 2 years old 

Do you have more than one set top box? if so, would you swap one to the problem TV and see if the problem moves with the box (and HDMI cable) to the new location or the problem stays with the current TV?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

I can't believe that this problem still exists.  I have followed all recommendations and continue to experience the same issue that everyone is having.  I even picked up a brand new box to be sure.  I am very disappointed!

Silver Problem Solver

@dwforumuser wrote:

I can't believe that this problem still exists.  I have followed all recommendations and continue to experience the same issue that everyone is having.  I even picked up a brand new box to be sure.  I am very disappointed!

What is the model number of your Sony Bravia UHD 4K?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

Mine is XBR-43X800D
Regular Visitor

Mine is XBR65X900F. Thanks in advance for all new suggestions.
Silver Problem Solver

A no signal message usually means there is an issue with the coax that runs to the X1 box.  I pay for the monthly service and I had a tech check all my coax and he replaced some connectors and that fixed my issue.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Visitor

This is an interesting suggestion. The problem only occurs occasionally when th TV is first turned on. Everything worked fine prior to getting the Sony Bravia TV.
Silver Problem Solver

@dwforumuser wrote:
This is an interesting suggestion. The problem only occurs occasionally when th TV is first turned on. Everything worked fine prior to getting the Sony Bravia TV.

Sure sounds like there is something that is not making contact all the time.  Check EVERY connection including reseating all coax connections.

Contributor

Same problem here. Only occasionally when turned on, and have to reboot th X1. Seems like HDMI communication issue.
Contributor

Checked connections. When the problem occurs a few times a week just power cycling the X1 fixes. Never had this problem with previous TV. Something in the HDMI interface to the Sony is not right. Tried new HDMI high end cable. No issues with signal after the reboot, just something with initiating the HDMI connection only a few times a week.
New Poster

PS, old cable box didn't ever have this problem.  Additionally there is no problem if I leave the TV on for ever.  It's only when i turn off the tv or change to apple TV and back.  You can see the box is getting the remote signal given light dims when you press the buttons on the remote but nothing. Most disappointing is there is no on off button so I have to reach in and unplug the box to watch tv.

Denver tier 4 support agent created a ticket however no communication since.  Not a) the issue is x and we think we will fix it by whe, nnot an update that were working on it not a we can fix it.  Just nothing and if I call back I can't get close to anyone looking at my ticket and knowing up from down.

Going to start looking at Att U verse or go back to direct TV. No customer appreacation since I've been a customer with Comcast for 4 years paying $250/mo.

Silver Problem Solver

@Clags wrote:

PS, old cable box didn't ever have this problem.  Additionally there is no problem if I leave the TV on for ever.  It's only when i turn off the tv or change to apple TV and back.  You can see the box is getting the remote signal given light dims when you press the buttons on the remote but nothing. Most disappointing is there is no on off button so I have to reach in and unplug the box to watch tv.

Denver tier 4 support agent created a ticket however no communication since.  Not a) the issue is x and we think we will fix it by whe, nnot an update that were working on it not a we can fix it.  Just nothing and if I call back I can't get close to anyone looking at my ticket and knowing up from down.

Going to start looking at Att U verse or go back to direct TV. No customer appreacation since I've been a customer with Comcast for 4 years paying $250/mo.

My guess is you don't have a simple installation.  Would you give is an idea how your whole system is set up?  Mine is a combination of TV, a/v receiver, and DVD player but no Apple TV, which might be an issue.

Contributor

New Poster

for some reason, the tv just shows a blue screen when I turn it on ....that's it

Silver Problem Solver

@subongkot wrote:

for some reason, the tv just shows a blue screen when I turn it on ....that's it

Pull the power cord and plug it back in.

Contributor

It's possibly an incompatibility between your TV and the cable box in what is called the "HDCP handshake."

If indeed that's the problem, unplugging your cable box is not a long-term solution.  The problem will continue to occur more-or-less randomly.  You would have to wait the several minutes for the box to restart every time you wanted to watch TV!

Here are some things you can try:

1) Make sure the cable between the X1 box and the TV is a decent one and seated properly.

2) Make sure your TV has the latest firmware installed.

3) Try different inputs on your TV.

If these steps don't help, you can try one of several small devices that sit between the cable box and the TV that convert the HDCP signal from "version 2.2" to "version 1.4". I have posted a link to one such device a few messages earlier in this thread. These devices are inexpensive, invisible, and reliable.

Frequent Visitor

I have a new Sony 4K set as well and did experience this issue with one of the Comcast 4K boxes. I've since went back to the old box and have not had the issue. I'm also using HDMI Port 2. I was also told to take the Comcast box out of power saver mode because the box needs to be on when the updates roll out overnight, if not you may experience freezing issues for when the updates do hit your box.

Expert

adding...

on the TV make a note about which HDMI port name that the set top box is connected (example HDMI 3). if the screen is showing no input or anything other than live video, use the TV remote and its 'input' button to verity it is currently still connected to the same port you noted. If it is not, use the input button on the TV remote to change to the port you noted. if it is on the port noted try power off recycling the set top box and determine if you can then get to live video.. If so, go into settings (gear) and the device settings and power and turn off power saver mode. Try this for an extended period and reply back if it worked or not.

Regular Visitor

I have a Toshiba and it does the same thing. I noticed when the box is restarted (powered off and then on) it goes through it's bootup cycle and towards the end there is a message saying the box is registering with the system and shortly thereafter everything is normal. I am thinking the system loses the registration of the box and no signal is sent. Comcast gave me the run around "Oh the refresh fixed the problem." NOT I wish they would admit they have a problem and fix it.

Contributor

Can you repost the converter link?
Contributor

This is the one I'm using, although Amazon has others as well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CT7THLO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Contributor

Most of Comcast's Level 1 people really don't know there is a problem.  (A number of them can't even spell HDCP!)

And, since refreshing/repowering the box usually works that time, they honestly think they've solved the problem.

Contributor

I installed a smart plug so I can power cycle the Comcast box with Alexa voice command. I got tired of going behind TV to physically power cycle the box!
Contributor

I had tried a Wemo smart plug to reboot it automatically several times a day, but that wasn’t terribly successful. Alexa is a good idea, but don’t you have to wait several minutes every time you want to watch a show? You could miss a touchdown or a home run in that time span!

(There’s no delay on the converter box.)
Expert

@RMCX wrote:
I had tried a Wemo smart plug to reboot it automatically several times a day, but that wasn’t terribly successful. Alexa is a good idea, but don’t you have to wait several minutes every time you want to watch a show? You could miss a touchdown or a home run in that time span!

(There’s no delay on the converter box.)

using the 'down converter' will forever lock your set top box from delivering 4k/UHD and beyond entertainment limiting you to 1080p. how is that ever a good idea? just put in an older non 4k set top box.

Contributor

Can you please provide an authoritative reference for this statement.

Contributor

And, if you believe that a down-converter limits 4K access, how is putting in a non-4K box any better???

Regular Visitor

Well, here we go again... Went through the whole works with customer support: reconnect you cables, box is probably getting to hot (moved the box), the refresh will fix the problem. NOT big surprise there. Really getting sick of unplugging the box and waiting for a reboot. I may start looking for another way to watch tv. Just may say to heck with 220 + channels, only watch 25 at max and go to straight HD antenna. Will miss some shows but can probably pick them up later on Netflix or HuLu. 

Contributor

Great idea! Hadn’t thought about using the timer. Will add that for a reboot in the mornings.
Contributor

I have a Sony 49x800d tv and I initially had this problem but not for over a year now. Takes playing with both tv and cable box settings.
On tv make sure screen saver is set to max time before kicking in. Turn off any auto power off settings as it's the TV's HDMI ports getting turned off because they are not seeing a signal. Go through all tv option settings for it's own screen saver and/or auto power down when no signal detected. If you Are using tv timer disable it for a week to eliminate possibility. Turn every power saver and auto off/on setting OFF on tv.
Now do same on the cable box. Set screen saver to off if possible or max allowed time if not. Turn off power saver functions. Turn off all power preference power savers. If your Comcast x1 box still has the HDMI link/sync setting turn it off or if no off set to normal. Der firmware had this feature and caused issues. It was under Comcast labs in settings.
Don't push on the Comcast remote "all off". Only push "tv" to turn off tv when done. Use your other remotes to turn off all other devices. If the Comcast x1 box goes to sleep or power save mode or reduces power output in any way the tv will not receive signal to HDMI input via HDMI cable and the tv will turn off it's HDMI board to save power rather than looking for a signal constantly.
Contributor

I know with those with Sony TV who don't have problems like this rather than , like I mentioned last post, NOT pressing "all off" on Comcast remote" to turn off tv. Just pressing tv off on remote. Those without problems and multiple devices plugged in use harmony remote to control everything power wise. But don't press on Comcast remote "all off".
New Poster

I had the same problem with my new Sony, and I tried everything.  It seems counterintuitive, but finally all I did to fix my problem was to reset the cable box as follows:  click xfinity on the remote and go to the settings icon. Click on Device Settings and go to "power preferences".  switch Power Saver to ON.  I don't know why, but it worked for me!

New Poster

Well, here is my two cents worth.

Got my X1 a couple of weeks ago. Have a Sony TV. Had the same problem everyone else on this thread has had.

My solution, which has worked for a few days so far, is to turn the Power Savings "Off", and leave the X1 Box on all the time. Why that has worked for me and not everyone else is unknown.

Not my idea of a good work around since, not for cost reasons, but for safty reasons, I like to have my equipment powered down as much as possible when not in use.

New Poster

Vizio smart tv, x1 box.  had both for years. worked fine.

x1 box started powering off when tv was left overnight.   no signal in morning.

tried setting box to NEVER powering off, saver mode, or whatever comcast wants to call it, but box always goes into power saver mode at night even though thru settings i set it to stay on.  

this is a recent occurence after years of working fine.  

simply unplugging the tv power and plugging back in restores signal and all works fine till the next morning.

the problem is definitely comcast x1 box.

for the exorbitant fee i pay comcast every month, you would think their equipment would work fine.

Silver Problem Solver

@dodger413 wrote:

Vizio smart tv, x1 box.  had both for years. worked fine.

x1 box started powering off when tv was left overnight.   no signal in morning.

tried setting box to NEVER powering off, saver mode, or whatever comcast wants to call it, but box always goes into power saver mode at night even though thru settings i set it to stay on.  

this is a recent occurence after years of working fine.  

simply unplugging the tv power and plugging back in restores signal and all works fine till the next morning.

the problem is definitely comcast x1 box.

for the exorbitant fee i pay comcast every month, you would think their equipment would work fine.

Since you have a Vizio and not a Sony, I suggest you start a new thread.

Contributor

This just helps to show it is a Comcast box issue.......
New Poster

I have the same problem. Started yesterday, I have the sony XBR900 which I got 4 years ago and upgraded to the X1 version 3 box a year ago. I guess the X1 did an upgrade which recently caused this. It is connected to the main X1 recording box with a monster ultra HDMI cable. Power saving is set to "off". Only fix is powering off X1 box and then waiting 4 minutes to watch TV. On the 3 other TV's in the house using remote boxes they all work fine even when the main box and Sony aren't communicating via hdmi.
Expert

@garyanderson99 wrote:
I have the same problem. Started yesterday, I have the sony XBR900 which I got 4 years ago and upgraded to the X1 version 3 box a year ago. I guess the X1 did an upgrade which recently caused this. It is connected to the main X1 recording box with a monster ultra HDMI cable. Power saving is set to "off". Only fix is powering off X1 box and then waiting 4 minutes to watch TV. On the 3 other TV's in the house using remote boxes they all work fine even when the main box and Sony aren't communicating via hdmi.

you might try this next time. press and release the set top box physical power button. wait 10-30 seconds and press again.  does the TV go active again? 2nd test is when 'offline' does unplugging just the TV for 30 seconds and plugging back in fix the problem? 

Regular Visitor

Alas, after all of the bull from Comcast about it not being on their side of the equation. It locked up my bedroom tv. It displayed the last channel selected and then an error message in the middle of the screen saying "Comcast was experiemcing problems and try again in a few minutes." Well, three days later I shut off the comcast box upstairs and turned it back on. Bingo, back to normal. The tv is an old tv never had any problems in the 15 years or so we have had it, probably longer. I have a feeling Comcast has many vesions of their equipment out there they can't control their QC on maintaining compatibility. They have adapted the Microsoft approach. Test and make sure the whole system doesn't crash, throw it out their and we'll fix if the complaints  get loud and numerous.  

Expert

@foster710 wrote:

Alas, after all of the bull from Comcast about it not being on their side of the equation. It locked up my bedroom tv. It displayed the last channel selected and then an error message in the middle of the screen saying "Comcast was experiemcing problems and try again in a few minutes." Well, three days later I shut off the comcast box upstairs and turned it back on. Bingo, back to normal. The tv is an old tv never had any problems in the 15 years or so we have had it, probably longer. I have a feeling Comcast has many vesions of their equipment out there they can't control their QC on maintaining compatibility. They have adapted the Microsoft approach. Test and make sure the whole system doesn't crash, throw it out their and we'll fix if the complaints  get loud and numerous.  

I'm a customer just like you. what equipment by model do you have? you can grab the model number by saying 'about' in the voice remote (STB version). There are some same priced options for equipment that may improve your service. 

Regular Contributor

@garyanderson99 wrote:

Same thing started happening to me about a week or two ago.  I have a Sony KDL800B that's ~ 4 years old.  It definately appears to be an HDMI handshake issue that popped up with some sort of X1 software update.  I noticed these issues when my software version started jumping to 87.1.3 up to 88.x ... my software version is now back to 87.1.3 again and still having the issue.  I've had my X1V3 (Arris) box for a while and never had issues.

From troublshooting ... If I stay on my X1 HDMI input I have no issues.  If I switch to another input and turn the TV off, when I turn it back on after a few minutes I get no signal on the X1 input.  I need to cyle the X1 power to get a signal back.  Switching inputs does nothing.  BUT, if the power remains on for my TV, I can switch inputs and back to the X1 input later and it does not lose singal.  It appears the HDMI handshake issue occurs when the TV is powered down when NOT on the X1 input.  Atleast that's what I think is happeneing with my Sony TV.

As others report, this was not an issue until the past week or so, and I noticed the X1 box has been getting updates with the version # jumping around.  This is something on Comcast's side and also appears it may now be affecting other some other brands as well (Vizio?)

New Poster

I have the same problem at star in about two weeks ago. No signal input . I have to unplug my cable box as it goes through the set up which takes 10 minutes. This not good o try to do it every day
New Poster

My 7 year old Vizio has started this week to say ‘no signal’ on the blue screen when first turned on. Have to restart the small box. This is odd that it suddenly just happened. SOMETHING must have changed on Comcast’s end.
New Poster

I’m still having this issue once a week. I have the latest firmware 09-01-2018. It’s also kinda stupid to have ARC for the latest surround sound but you can’t get 4K picture unless you use HDMI 2 or 3. I wish they fix this annoying thing. Babysitting grandma always calling the tv has no picture. REALLY ANNOYING !!!!
Tags (1)
New Poster

This is not exclusive to Sony TVs.  I have a Vizio and experience the same issue almost daily.  Comcast replaced my box but the problem continues with the new one.  This happens on all three of my HDMI ports, and yes I’ve tried multiple cables.

A power cycle to the box, or unplugging my TV from power, will solve the problem.  A simple turn off and on the TV doesn’t solve it.  There must be a synchronization that takes place when either device powers.  I have no issue with any other HDMI device on this TV.  

Any my suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Jay

Highlighted
New Poster

I have a Sony XBR900E with Comcast XG1V4A box.  I've had this setup since the winter olympics last year.  This past weekend I learned that my tv only has two HDMI ports (HDMI 2 and 3 [ARC]) that can project 4k 60fps.  I bought the Sony Z9F soundbar and connected it through ARC.  The cable box is put through HDMI 2 and both the box and TV are set for 4k 60fps, not auto.  Since I've done this I've started having the problem described throughout this thread.  I've tried turning off auto power settings on the tv and cable box and then turned them on again.  It seems to me that my issue is directly related to the change to 4k 60fps.  I'll play with the auto screen image settings on both the tv and cable box for the next two days.

It's worth noting a friend of mine had the same problem and it took them three cable box changes before this issue stopped happening... 

Edit:  10/17/2018 This morning I've also noticed a problem with apple tv4k and having it set to HDR 4k 60fps.  It works after I unplug the apple TV and then plug it back in, just like the XFINITY box.  I do have old HDMI cables so I'll upgrade them.  

I had to unplug the XFINITY box again to get that to work this morning too.  Everything seems tied to 4k 60fps.  

Edit 2:  10/18/2018  Last night I changed my X1 box to project 1080p60fps then turned everything off.  This morning I turned everything on with my Comcast remote and the cable turned right on.  This leads me to believe there is a direct problem with 4k60fps.  In doing more research with my AppleTV 4K and this box, my AppleTV (set to HDR 4K 60fps) playing Netflix started projecting the error that HDCP is not supported message.  In researching HDCP and HDMI 2.2, I found this article https://www.cnet.com/news/hdcp-2-2-what-you-need-to-know/ that describes 2.2 as NOT backwards compatible.  The 6th paragraph describes exactly the problem we're experiencing.  I was able to play the same show on the Netflix tv app that the AppleTV could not.  What I think this means is 4k60fps may need HDMI 2.2 cables.  I ordered HDMI 2.2 cables and will get back after the weekend.  

New Poster

I took it of the arc and that seems to help . I think it’s a signal issue because ARC is not 4K . I just connect cable to surround hdmi 2 and to our tv hdmi 2. It’s the 4K that’s loss which is causing the tv to go blank. I noticed this on my PS4 Pro which is 4K . When connected to arc it’s blank sometimes . Hdmi is perfect 4K if this make any sense