Community Forum

No HDMI picture in the morning for the last week. Reading many others experiencing with no solution

Contributor

No HDMI picture in the morning for the last week. Reading many others experiencing with no solution

About everyday if not everyday over the last week (it is 3/12/19 today) when turning the TV on in the morning the screen reads: No HDMI Signal. Audio through an optical cable to a soundbar works fine. If the X1 box is unplugged and plugged back in the TV will display the picture until the next morning. I did have the X1 box replaced and the issue continues.

How on earth has Comcast not resolved this or put out an alert by now with as many reports as there are?

One thing about this I did discover. When there's no HDMI signal on the TV, if I go to the "EDID" setting and change it to 2.0, the default is 1.4, it will display the picture. It will continue to display the picture if I switch back to 1.4. If I turn the TV off and back on it will still show No HDMI signal.

Expert

Re: No HDMI picture in the morning for the last week. Reading many others experiencing with no solu

Change your "Default" to 2.0 since this is your particlar problem.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: No HDMI picture in the morning for the last week. Reading many others experiencing with no solu

Well it seems to revert back to 1.4 when the TV is turned off and turned back on. It's the activating of that feature while the TV is on that does something to get the picture. Once it's switched to 2.0 and the picture comes on if it's switched back to 1.4 it still stays on.

There's not been any issue with the X1 box and the TV until about a week ago  which is around the same time that the same issue is being reported by others on here and yet no word or fix from Comcast.

Contributor

MORE INFORMATION AND A WORKAROUND FIX

I found that by unplugging the HDMI cable from the X1 box for about 30 seconds or more and plugging it back in restored the signal (picture) to the TV.

I connected an older LCD TV with HDMI to the X1 box and has no issues with it as far as turning the TV on and off again without losing the signal (picture).

The workaround fix that I came up with (Have not tested after daily update/reboot) is to pass the HDMI cable from the X1 box through the soundbar then to the TV. When the HDMI cable goes from the soundbar to the TV it has no issues getting a signal (picture) when turning the TV off and on.

This seems like to me an internal hardware and/or software issue with the X1 box that affects certain TV's. It is an engineering and/or programming issue with the X1 box. Comcast does not seem to have fully addressed it as it should.

New Poster

ugghhhh...... had the same issues starting this past Sunday (3/10/19), reboot does not workm cold start needed to get video from X1 DVR (1080) box.  Working with support chat, determined new box is needed (?) and had one sent.  Received package on Thursday morning, opened box and got mad since I believed they had sent me an HD box and not a DVR.  Back onto chat support...... even gave her the model number of the unit...... said she would have annother one sent.  I said rather than sending I will visit my local Comcast store.  Found out that I had indeed received a DVR, it was their latest and greatest X1Gv4 box........ I was bot upset that it wasn't clearly marked as an upgraded DVR and upset with myself for not looking it further before heading to the store.  I left with the very same X1Gv4 box.

What are they thinking over at Comcast?  I got the "blue screen" issue that nearly everyone is complaining about.  Unable to get any video other than the "Welcome" splash screen at powerup.  Once again back to chat support where they were unable to help me at all in the installation of their new DVR.  Have to wait 2 days for a tech to come out since I believe that even if I swap out another box there will most likely still be an issue.

Something cause "all of our" X1dvrs to suddenly stop outputting video....... maybe a firmware update?  But to send people these "new" boxes that very simply aren't consumer ready yet is ridiculous.  I have better things to do with my time, and there are more important things that their technicians could be doing rather than going around setting up/replacing messed up boxes.

Not a happy camper.

Frequent Visitor

For the past week I have had a similar problem. If I try to watch TV after the time period when the box should have gone to sleep, I get a blank screen and a message that says "No Signal". The latter message probably is generated by my TV. There is no output at the TV terminal. This happens on both boxes that I. The only "cure" has been to hit the glowing "off" button and wait for the reboot process to complete. I think the box is actually alive, since I tried waking it up using voice commands not "Netflix", and as it started through the reboot process there was a brief flash of my personal Netflix startup screen - meaning the box had established a connection and was following my commands. This is clearly a software issue that needs to be discussed with a software engineer. I have not found a path through Xfinity to actually talk to an engineer. What information is needed to isolate/identify this problem? I'm reasonably technically competent, but I don't follow details such as software versions/hardware versions.

Norm

Regular Visitor

We are Right there in the same boat with you. 

Myself and my wife have walked though many variables with results.  other readings state that it's the HDMI Cable and not the X1V4G box. that information is not credible and proven false. That person may have had a bad HDMI cable that could have skewed their inputs. That being said.

the X1V4G reboots everyday on the defaul or adjusted times you select . I've visually verified that iI could not disable the feature and i've watched it reset between 2 and 4 am (my default) 

when that happened then I lost my signal to the TV. (there IS an issue with the eve box and HDMI Handshake)

1. No signal to TV unplug the HDMI from back of X1V4G ever box and plug HDMI from TV in the back of the DVR (output) HDMI you will notice the activity on the screen and should have video. if not unplug the DVR for about 20 seconds and it should be working directly to your TV. whe your programming come up you can switch the cables back to where they were and everything works fine *** until the next reboot ***  We have troubleshooted all the way down to the class and type of cable.  (we have spent a few hundred dollars in quality HDR cables)  because everything for me goes through my Denon 7.2 system that had no issues on any multimedia until the X1V4G was introduced to the mix. Receiver, and TV have current Firmware versions. I have not verified the X1V4G DVR firmware version but have taken a few pictures of the configuration. when it works and when it stopped and I got it to work again. . The previous configuration is GONE.  The FORCED COMCAST/XFINITY Script that says it's doing Maintenance is just resetting to a lower configuration during the nightly reset. 1st off if you have a problem with something that requires a nightly restet it's called a BUG I would start with hardware..  A Bug can be a hardware or software problem that is an issue that has not been properly addressed or timelined for resolution. I noticed that over a year with the same problems ,  THE Comcast Support has deflected anything pointing to their hardware or processes. Technology is my field and I know what it is to push a configuration to systems accross the country. and I also know that They are not paying me to troubleshoot their system because they already KNEW what the problem is. I've had this for less than 40 days and had many Techs come out and They are all ove the place.  I'm searching for a new provider because it's a breach of contract from what I signed up for. it's documented as well. I can get HDR signals all day until reset and it defaults to 720p. techs and support point to old TV , Receiver or firmware. that is a deflection for "I dont really know" of I know but my boss won't let me say.

Regular Contributor

What brand(s) of TV does this happen with?

Regular Visitor

@lesmikesell Hello, I have not researched tv brands since it should work fine on any Smart TV. I have established through most readings in the threads that TV's at 720p has no issues (since that seems to be a working default).

I will post in my thread on Saturday the results of my testing and proven discoveries and possible solution.

So far the Discovery is promising and still working correctly for two days now.

Regular Contributor

The most likely issue is that the HDCP 2.2 handshake required for content protection of 4k content isn't being completed correctly as one or the other devices wakes up from sleep/low power mode.  If a power cycle or just disconnecting/reconnecting the HDMI cable makes it work, that is probably the issue.  So not using a 4k setting may make a difference.

Regular Visitor

The answer to that is Yes and No. But primarily Not the consumer/ end-users fault.
Regular Contributor

@Berniesp2 wrote:
The answer to that is Yes and No. But primarily Not the consumer/ end-users fault.

Ultimately it is.  We should vote the politicians that mandate this kind of stuff out of office.