Community Forum

New (smaller) Font on X1 Time location bar

Valued Contributor

New (smaller) Font on X1 Time location bar

A new "update" has changed the font on the timebar to a much smaller font.

The "OK" now shows the network logo and it's three time larger than the timebar reading 23:12 is now teeny tiny.

This started on Thanksgiving Day.  gobble gobble, why?

Most Valued Poster

Re: New (smaller) Font on X1 Time location bar

@LeeSoFL wrote:

The "OK" now shows the network logo and it's three time larger than the timebar reading 23:12 is now teeny tiny.

So glad someone reported this.  Allow me to add to this post. Took a two week vacation and when we got home 11/20 all was well and then on Turkey Day we thought we needed new glasses. When pressing the 'xfinity button'  ...the words  guide, for you, recordings, scheduled,etc are all much smaller than before The progress bar itself is smaller and so are the fast forward, pause, reverse indicators (pause indicator is taller but smaller). I checked the last update and it was long early November so what has  happened ??

Silver Problem Solver

Can someone post a picture of what they are seeing?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

What computer system, or device, is being used that shows such small type?

I see no such changes in Edge, W10. There is a new Community Forum upgrade we are testing, but it has not been implimented yet. We have not seen problem like this there either.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Diamond Problem Solver

Mntundraret, since the post was in the X1 area, they are referring to the X1 platform.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Diamond Problem Solver

As Robert asked can you provide a screenshot? I don’t see it

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

The time is 2:43, that is the new font size for the time status bar on X1 DVR.Shrunken Time Reading.jpg

Valued Contributor

full frame

Full frame Tiny Time.jpg

Valued Contributor

@LeeSoFL wrote:

@LeeSoFL wrote:

First, your post is excellent. Second, I have the same update and I hate it. Terrible. Put it back Comcast!

Tek
Regular Visitor

Has anyone also noticed that the update has also changed video and audio quality.

The picture appears softer and audio levels are lower and muddier sounding and bass lacking punch.

After recalibrating my home theater I realized that the source X1 has degraded in quality.

Also the earlier audio dropout problem has returned in the “expert mode” when  skipping through commercials.

Expert

@familyman2004 wrote:

Has anyone also noticed that the update has also changed video and audio quality.

The picture appears softer and audio levels are lower and muddier sounding and bass lacking punch.

After recalibrating my home theater I realized that the source X1 has degraded in quality.

Also the earlier audio dropout problem has returned in the “expert mode” when  skipping through commercials.

Which X1-box and DVR are you talking about? Have you tried resetting the boxes?

The Community Forum update I first mentioned was just coincidental and would have nothing to do with this problem. An update to some of these boxes may have caused this particular problem.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Valued Contributor

Both boxes are xg1v4 from Sept 2017.  The local rep saw what I spoke of,  checked with others, but did not see any info on this change.

Rebooting or refreshing the boxes does nothing.  

If you're still seeing the larger font on the time display, I'm sure it will change to the new improved small font soon.

Valued Contributor

@LeeSoFL wrote:

Both boxes are xg1v4 from Sept 2017.  The local rep saw what I spoke of,  checked with others, but did not see any info on this change.

If you're still seeing the larger font on the time display, I'm sure it will change to the new improved small font soon.

This is not a issue. They intentionally redesigned the headers on the Saved menu and the text on the info bar. I do not like the change at all, but they are slowly rolling it out nationwide.  

Tek
Expert

@Tek wrote:

@LeeSoFL wrote:

This is not a issue. They intentionally redesigned the headers on the Saved menu and the text on the info bar. I do not like the change at all, but they are slowly rolling it out nationwide.  

under settings (gear) >> preferences >> general do you have Enhanced Text Readability set to 'on'?

Valued Contributor

No. This is the new guide. It is coming to a X1 Box near you.
Tek
Expert

@Tek wrote:

what xre/firmware are you seeing that on?

Silver Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

@Tek wrote:

what xre/firmware are you seeing that on?

12-1-2018.jpg

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Valued Contributor

Release 92.1.0

XRE 2.8.0

11/9/18

Valued Contributor

Release 92.1.0

11/9/2018 16:21

Native 3.2.0

STB AX013N 3.2p6s1 PROD Sey

My environment  is different than yours. 

Tek
Expert

@Tek wrote:

Release 92.1.0

11/9/2018 16:21

Native 3.2.0

STB AX013N 3.2p6s1 PROD Sey

My environment  is different than yours. 

you have a one day newer xre (menu) but your firmware is significantly older (mine is 3.2p10s1 might call 800-Comcast select TV and tech suppport can force newer version down to you. if successful please reply back on the font changes.. did the newer firmware fix the problem?

Valued Contributor

The font is not a problem. They redesigned parts of the interface. All boxes in my house have it and my family members in the same town on Comcast.

Tek
New Poster

I don't like the smaller size either, need a fix comcast!
Most Valued Poster

@Sinbrandy wrote:
I don't like the smaller size either, need a fix comcast!

Apparently they felt that the smaller font was an improvement  when they supposedly redesigned the UI. I still have not seen what I consider to be an explanation or description from Comcast of what they did to improve the UI.

Regular Visitor

The smaller fonts are just harder to read

Regular Visitor

new smaller harder to read fonts

Why are the fonts smaller after the update?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: new smaller harder to read fonts

@x10user wrote:

Comcast made that decision.  I haven't seen an explanaton yet.  After living with it for a few days, it appears to be cleaner; maybe they plan to add to it?

Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

@x10user wrote:

Comcast made that decision.  I haven't seen an explanaton yet.  After living with it for a few days, it appears to be cleaner; maybe they plan to add to it?

Robert...I have had it since Thanksgiving and still 'don't get' why it is supposedly an improvement. In what regard?  All I see is smaller fonts on the choices at the top and smaller progress bar indicators. What makes it 'cleaner'? What am I missing? I don't see any change in response time either but then again I didn't have a problem to begin with

Regular Visitor

I called tech support twice to complain. The smaller font size serves no purpose someone with very good eyesight must think it looks good.  There should be an option for the larger font.

Most Valued Poster

@x10user wrote:

I called tech support twice to complain. The smaller font size serves no purpose someone with very good eyesight must think it looks good.  There should be an option for the larger font.

==

I was one of the ones who fought for YEARS to get a larger font on the guide and the info screen and they sorta did it  but would have preferred more  options like they have for those who cannot HEAR (CC options)  and now they make other fonts Smaller? This is just ludicrous.  Those who have such perfect eyesight will learn as they get older that larger is always better.

Valued Contributor

I have terrific eyesight, but you actually have to change your depth of field when you try to glance at the now smaller time.  There is a reason car makers offer the excellent option of the Head Up Display.  You don't need to look and then refocus to see the image projected on the inside of the windshield.

Comcast, get with it.  It was a lousy graphic decision.

Silver Problem Solver

@LeeSoFL wrote:

I have terrific eyesight, but you actually have to change your depth of field when you try to glance at the now smaller time.  There is a reason car makers offer the excellent option of the Head Up Display.  You don't need to look and then refocus to see the image projected on the inside of the windshield.

Comcast, get with it.  It was a lousy graphic decision.

I googled and found this:

https://www.xfinity.com/accessibility?pc=1

Regular Visitor

I don't need to change the entire screen to see it was fine. I am just talking about an arbitrary font size change for no obvious value.

Most Valued Poster

@x10user wrote:

And I am sure tech support was extremely helpful....not. They really cannot do a darn thing when its by DESIGN

Valued Contributor

They're have been times when they change something back because of customer comment, here on these boards.

Most Valued Poster

@LeeSoFL wrote:

They're have been times when they change something back because of customer comment, here on these boards.

REALLY....??  This is rare but when it has happened it took a very long time.  It took years to get option for larger font on the guide. So many have complained for  well over a year about the loss of real slo mo and frame by frame but nothing has been changed.

Valued Contributor

Well it happened, the size of the timebar is larger.   It had been the size of the CC icon.

size changed.jpg

Most Valued Poster

@LeeSoFL wrote:

Well it happened, the size of the timebar is larger.   It had been the size of the CC icon.

size changed.jpg

==

I wonder if this is a rollout that has not yet arrived in my service area here in Northern Virginia because my  progress bar is still so small.