Community Forum

New X1 install?

Contributor

New X1 install?

I just installed a new (to me) X1 DVR & while going through the install prosses a message appeared showing a bar chart whith 6 bars & only 2 bars light & a message saying my signal is weak & to check for lose cables etc. I had to move a large wall unit out from the wall to get to where the cable comes out of the wall. I checked that the cable was tight & also checked that the spitter (1 goes to the internet modem) connections were aslo tight. By the time I had finished the above & looked at the TV screen the message had gone. I'm not sure if the message left because of my actions or that the message stays only for a short time before going to the next step in the install prosses. Does anyone know how I can check my cable TV signal stregnth? Thanks

Official Employee

Re: New X1 install?

There’s a diagnostic menu on the dvr but you’re in spec. That signal screen typically goes away after a couple of button pushes on install
Contributor

Official Employee

Hold exit down for a little more than five seconds.
Press the down arrow twice.
Press 2.

Go to system and go to Docsis

Contributor

Thanks for the info ComcastAndrew. So what do I look for on this page & what numbers would be considered good as far as signal strength go?  

Expert

from prevous posts..

Upstream Transmit Power Level: 25 to 53 dBmV.
Downstream Receive Power Level: -8 to 10 dBmV.
Upstream Receive Power Level: -2 to 2 dBmV (technically should be as close to zero as possible)
Downstream Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR): minimum of 35 dB.
Upstream Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) Individual Modem: minimum of 31 dB.
Upstream Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) Channel Average: minimum of 31 dB.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Official Employee

The diagnostic menu is a small snapshot of your devices. It shows one upstream channel ( when there’s 3 or 4) and one downstream channel ( when there’s 8).