Community Forum

New X1 Service only has Cloud DVR (no DVR box), so I only get storage for 60 Hours of HD content?

Contributor

New X1 Service only has Cloud DVR (no DVR box), so I only get storage for 60 Hours of HD content?

When I had my service set up two weeks ago the technician said everyone with new service in my area was setup for "Cloud" only DVR service. So i didn't get an actual DVR box, just three X1 cable boxes.

I didn't ask for this, this is what they gave me. But cloud DVR only has 60 hours of HD storage whereas an actual DVR box has storage for 150 hours. I feel like I'm getting ripped off here. Why can't the cloud only storage match the box storage?

Here is the link explaining the storage capacities.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-dvr-overview

Xfinity, what is the reason for this?

Contributor

Re: New X1 Service only has Cloud DVR (no DVR box), so I only get storage for 60 Hours of HD content

not really the answer to my question.

I ordered a DVR with my service. I was given a 60 Hour Cloud Service whereas others are getting 150 hour boxes. Shouldn't the cloud storage match the box storage if i'm not given an option for a box?

Expert

Re: New X1 Service only has Cloud DVR (no DVR box), so I only get storage for 60 Hours of HD content

@jap5c wrote:

When I had my service set up two weeks ago the technician said everyone with new service in my area was setup for "Cloud" only DVR service. So i didn't get an actual DVR box, just three X1 cable boxes.

I didn't ask for this, this is what they gave me. But cloud DVR only has 60 hours of HD storage whereas an actual DVR box has storage for 150 hours. I feel like I'm getting ripped off here. Why can't the cloud only storage match the box storage?

Here is the link explaining the storage capacities.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-dvr-overview

Xfinity, what is the reason for this?

if you want a physical DVR go into your xfinity store and swap one of your other set top boxes for it.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

So I've done two things since my last posting...

1) I chatted with Xfinity support who told me there was a wireless DVR box that I could go to the store and swap out one of my cable boxes for and that should give me the full storage capacity. He even said he mades notes on the account about this discussion.

2) I went to the local Xfinity store and told the representative about this discussion. I have even showed him the link from the Xfinity website (https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-dvr-overview) which clearly states "Storage Capacity: Currently, your X1 DVR can record approximately 150 total hours of HD and/or SD programming on the hard drive, and 60 hours of cloud DVR storage per X1 DVR."

His response was "This must be an old link with old data. All of our current boxes are 60GB limits. We do not have a wireless DVR box in your area (Washington DC)".

Makes we realize why i switched from Xfinity two years ago and makes me question why I ever decided to come back.

So what's the deal? Why am i getting conflicting information?

Diamond Problem Solver

Trying to set the record straight
-there are no wireless dvrs, there are wireless boxes that have dvr access
-every dvr has 500GB of space
-the cloud when you have a physical dvr has the last 60 hours of recordings available to view

I’ve escalated it up to a colleague who’ll get you the equipment you need

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: New X1 Service only has Cloud DVR (no DVR box), so I only get storage for 60 Hours of HD cont...

Hello @jap5c, thanks for reaching out to our Forums! I'm sorry to hear about all of the miscommunication you have received around our Cloud DVR. Glad to see that ComcastAndrew was able to provide the correct information on this thread. I would be more than happy to assist you with getting you the correct equipment. Can you please send me a private message including the full name as it appears on the account and your full name if different? 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAmira” and click “send a message. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!