Community Forum

New Power Preference not shutting down after 4 Hrs intermittently

Valued Contributor

New Power Preference not shutting down after 4 Hrs intermittently

When I failed to power down the STB several times this week and I came back after 6-8 hours later the STB still had the blue power button on.  (BTW no one else was in the area, before someone asks)  Isn't it suppose to power down after 4 hours with the new F/W update that was uploaded in the beginning of May?   I sure wish I could select 2 hours for power down like it was before this latest update.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: New Power Preference not shutting down after 4 Hrs intermittently

What is the box's current Setting for Power?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-power-save-faqs

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-power-preferences

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Valued Contributor

Prior to the 5-3-18 STB firmware update in my area, I had the power down set to 2 hours.  After the update took place I can no longer select a time frame as comcast now has it set to 4 hours.  I have yet to be able to find how to set it back to 2 hours, but that is another story.  The issue that I have had intermittently is that the new feature/function to power down after 4 fours is not working all the time.  Several times after forcing a power down of the box at around 10 pm at night, when I got up the next morning the blue light on the STB was back on.  Hope that explains the issue that I have been having.

Silver Problem Solver

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-power-save-faqs

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/set-top-box-energy-usage

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Valued Contributor

I am well aware of the articles that you referenced in your reply, but those are not helping to answer or resolve the power down issue that I have reported, I hate to say.  I and many others would sure like to have the ability to select the time to power down the boxes instead of comcast dictating what that time should be for their customers.  Just saying.

Contributor

I have the same problem. It used to work, not it doesn't and I have not made any changes. It is not a big deal as I can push the button to turn it off, but I would like to know if everyone is having the same problem. Maybe it is glitch from a software update. 

Please advise. Thank you.

Silver Problem Solver

@Al8041 wrote:

I have the same problem. It used to work, not it doesn't and I have not made any changes. It is not a big deal as I can push the button to turn it off, but I would like to know if everyone is having the same problem. Maybe it is glitch from a software update. 

Please advise. Thank you.

It appears Comcast removed that option; since the boxes don't use much electricity it probably doesn't save much money.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/set-top-box-energy-usage

Valued Contributor

I love the reply that the STB does not use much power for a single user, that is correct, but let's take a look at the big picture:  Comcast has ~ 22 million users, lets say 11 million users selected 1-2 hour shut down, now figure out the lost savings with comcast changing it to 4 hours for everyone.  Then the cost of their change becomes very large and comcast is not such a "green thinking" company.  

Why is it that the "big picture" is lost when these changes are made, it just shows me that comcast is not really viewing it.  In my area of the country electric power is very expensive and I have done everything that I can to reduce my electric foot print usage, I just wish comcast would think the same way.  Getting off the soap box.......

Expert

@fedup978 wrote:

I love the reply that the STB does not use much power for a single user, that is correct, but let's take a look at the big picture:  Comcast has ~ 22 million users, lets say 11 million users selected 1-2 hour shut down, now figure out the lost savings with comcast changing it to 4 hours for everyone.  Then the cost of their change becomes very large and comcast is not such a "green thinking" company.  

Why is it that the "big picture" is lost when these changes are made, it just shows me that comcast is not really viewing it.  In my area of the country electric power is very expensive and I have done everything that I can to reduce my electric foot print usage, I just wish comcast would think the same way.  Getting off the soap box.......

the difference in wattage to on/standby for a DVR is the most at about 3 watts (27.2 / 24).  only way to save money on 3 watts is to leave the set top box in standby for 24/7/365 and you can save a $  (3/1000*12cents*24*7*365=$1.84/month) and for the year $22. much better to turn off the clock and power LED (if not an Xg1v4) and find a lamp to convert to LED from incandescent or fluorescent.  and save big money. It is nice though to save the environment. Thanks for the post.

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

I want to know what they are hiding. They keep messing around with our ability to change the power saver settings. I too see my box staying on overnight. And now, after a couple weeks, the box no longer recognizes when I use the voice command to power down. It used to ask if I wanted to power down now but that feature is gone so they only options to power it down are: 1) press the power button, 2) find the power down now option buried in settings or, 3) physically unplug the thing. Something just doesn’t seem right with their continued steps in making it hard for users to manually power the box down.
Contributor

Now it is working again for me.  Box goes off after 4 hours (give or take.)

My guess is that it was a software screwup that Comcast did not want to admit to.

New Poster

Might be the case. The option to use the 'power down' voice command has also returned. We shall see how long though it stays active.