Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

New HD Box not good

Contributor

New HD Box not good

Got a message that I needed to update my old HD cable box to the new upgraded ones.Hooked it up and I have to say the picture was much better with the old box.Yes I am on the HD channels and all settings are correct.Am I missing something here? This new box has a worse picture.

Problem Solver

Re: New HD Box not good

Comcast has been converting most of their HD cable channels that used to be 1080i MPEG 2 (2.1 million pixels) and 720p MPEG 2 to 720p MPEG 4 (0.92 million pixels).

Your old cable box was not MPEG 4 compatible. What the after effect is that the old 720p signal might look better but their replacement for 1080i has less than half the number of pixels (the rest are computer generated). Programs filmed in 1080p have more than half the real data lost in the new compression (MPEG 4).

They just went back to 2004 when the HD televisions were only 720p. And yes your picture is worse.

Contributor

That stinks!!! What the heck are they thinking? Must want to lose customers I guess.Funny because 2 months ago I signed up for a 2 year contract. Do any of the other cable(Verizon) or dish providers(Direct TV) have these issues?

Official Employee

Re: New HD Box not good (X1)

badhd wrote:

Got a message that I needed to update my old HD cable box to the new upgraded ones.Hooked it up and I have to say the picture was much better with the old box.Yes I am on the HD channels and all settings are correct.Am I missing something here? This new box has a worse picture.

For your X1 box (Pace PX022AMC), there are a few things to check that may give you a better picure, some details at the link below: 

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-video-display 

Contributor

That was no help.

Official Employee

badhd wrote:

That was no help.

What settings do you have applied now? Thanks for any additional information and details that you may be able to provide. 

Contributor

What exactly do you want to know?

Expert

badhd wrote:

I suggest you call Comcast customer service and have them send out a tech to check your installation.  The X1 system needs a stronger connection that the legacy system did.

Contributor

They were going to send out a tech(and charge me for it).I said no thanks.Don't need a tech to tell me my picture is fine when it is not.It was fine with the old box.Not the new one.

What do you mean by "stronger connection then legacy system"? Please explain.Thanks

Gold Problem Solver

That decision was a mistake. Comcast may or may not charge you depending upon where the problem is found to be. You own the wiring and connections within your house.

Sorry man but you need to provide more details and information before this forum can help you. If that is not good enough then call Comcast...

badhd wrote:

They were going to send out a tech(and charge me for it).I said no thanks.Don't need a tech to tell me my picture is fine when it is not.It was fine with the old box.Not the new one.

What do you mean by "stronger connection then legacy system"? Please explain.Thanks

Contributor

Yes,I was going to be charged for the visit.Have the e mail to prove it.And what more details do you need to know? As I said my HD picture was fine with the old box.Not as good with the new box.All connections and settings are correct.So it is as simple as that.Do not know what other details you may want.Pretty obvious.

Problem Solver

Do you live close enough (within about 60 miles fo actual transmitter) to a metro area to use an antenna to get over the air signals?

Those signals have not changed for 1080i (2.1 million pixels) channels. You can compare that signal to cable. If your local Comcast center supplies you with your local stations they most likely are still (1920 x 1080) / 60i versus ABC and FOX at (1280 x 720) / 60p. They should be okay if your new box is adjusted right, and can be set to 1080i versus 720p default. Did you change box to 1080i

The other 1080i cable channels will end up at (1280 720) / 60P. The same as FOX and ABC. It sounds like the old 720P mpeg2 is now slightly better on mpeg4.

It looks better (on cable than before) on my 65 inch UHD television while all 1080i channels, converted to 720p mpeg2  are much worse (on cable). Not a good situation since NBC (1080i channel) is part of the Comcast family.

Gold Problem Solver

No... It is not obvious.

You don't know for sure that you were going to be charged until the Comcast tech finds the actual problem. That is their policy.

Also, the members of this forum can't see what you are seeing on your TV. How do we know your settings and connections are correct?

Lets go about this another way. Please provide the exact model numbers of your entire AV system and specific details as to how it is connected. Who did the X1 installation?

badhd wrote:

Yes,I was going to be charged for the visit.Have the e mail to prove it.And what more details do you need to know? As I said my HD picture was fine with the old box.Not as good with the new box.All connections and settings are correct.So it is as simple as that.Do not know what other details you may want.Pretty obvious.

Expert

MNtundraRET wrote:

Do you live close enough (within about 60 miles fo actual transmitter) to a metro area to use an antenna to get over the air signals?

Those signals have not changed for 1080i (2.1 million pixels) channels. You can compare that signal to cable. If your local Comcast center supplies you with your local stations they most likely are still (1920 x 1080) / 60i versus ABC and FOX at (1280 x 720) / 60p. They should be okay if your new box is adjusted right, and can be set to 1080i versus 720p default. Did you change box to 1080i

The other 1080i cable channels will end up at (1280 720) / 60P. The same as FOX and ABC. It sounds like the old 720P mpeg2 is now slightly better on mpeg4.

It looks better (on cable than before) on my 65 inch UHD television while all 1080i channels, converted to 720p mpeg2  are much worse (on cable). Not a good situation since NBC (1080i channel) is part of the Comcast family.

Apparently the local broadcast channels are kept in mpeg2, but after conversion I wonder if local 1080i channels will be left in 1080i in the same way?

Contributor

Box is set to 1080p.I see no differance using the 720 or 1080i setting.Monster HDMI cables being used.Samsung HD TV.Everything is set up correctly.Everything was fine before I changed boxes.

Channel 5(Fox) and channel 7(ABC)look the worst of the local stations.Channel 4(NBC) looks the best of the local stations(a Comcast company by the way,gee wonder why this channel looks better then the others).Guess Comcast is taking care of their own while everything else looks pretty crappy.I watch a lot of ESPN and that is definatly worse then before.

Was at my local Best Buy over the weekend looking at free over the air HD antenas.Guy working there said customers have had bad results with them.Probably true because a lot of the boxes on the shelf looked like they were returned.I live in central New Jersey by the way.

Problem Solver

You need a real antenna, not the cheap garbage pushed by Best Buy. They know nothing about antennas.

Contributor

Where should I go for a good antenna?Thanks

Problem Solver

If you happen to have a roof antenna that would work if you know where to aim it for the closest transmitters. A in-line RF amplifier can be installed on the coaxial-cable before the coaxial cable is attached to the television antenna input for better range.

I use a Radio Shack # 15-1892, Indoor VHF/UHF/HDTV antenna with RF remote control. I happen to live within 20 miles of the different transmitters in my metro area so I pick up 40+ channels. The antenna has a built in amplifier.

Companies like Winegard sell many types of antennas for OTA, satellite, RV's, etc. Check the Internet for dealers or other brands.

I have to tell you most people end up a cable because because they don't understand antennas, and adjusting equipment properly, or don't want the hassle.

Admin1

badhd -- I reviewed your account and did find an issue. You were given X1 equipment however your account wasn't coded for X1. That can cause service issues with that boxes. I've updated all coding as it should be. Can you see if that made a difference? If not, then next step is having a tech out. As RickGr4 said, it's not obvious that you'd be charged anything. If it's our issue, then there is no charge for it. 

Contributor

ComcastZach thanks for checking.I appreciate it.But there is no difference.

Don't know what a tech is going to tell me that I already know.What is he going to do different?Everything is hooked up right.Hooked up the same way it was with the old boxes.Settings are correct.Really what other settings could there be that I have not done.It is all a very basic set up.I have done it many times before.Everything was fine until I got the new boxes.The old boxes had a better picture.As the many have said on here it is the way Comcast is sending the signal now.I have the same issue as so many others have on here.So it can not just be me.And from what I have read it seems no one has got any changes for the better by trying different things or tech visits etc.I am not being stuborn I am just stating facts.I do appreciate every ones help and hopefully someone could come up with a solition for all of us.

Expert

badhd wrote:

Box is set to 1080p.I see no differance using the 720 or 1080i setting.Monster HDMI cables being used.Samsung HD TV.Everything is set up correctly.Everything was fine before I changed boxes.

Channel 5(Fox) and channel 7(ABC)look the worst of the local stations.Channel 4(NBC) looks the best of the local stations(a Comcast company by the way,gee wonder why this channel looks better then the others).Guess Comcast is taking care of their own while everything else looks pretty crappy.I watch a lot of ESPN and that is definatly worse then before.

Was at my local Best Buy over the weekend looking at free over the air HD antenas.Guy working there said customers have had bad results with them.Probably true because a lot of the boxes on the shelf looked like they were returned.I live in central New Jersey by the way.

If those channels ( 5 & 7 ) are next to each other, it may well be that something is interfering with the frequency that those channels are being delivered to you.....   you should request a TECH be dispatched to evaluate and make the necessary repairs to your installation,

Official Employee

badhd wrote:

Just throwing out there that 5 and 7 are SD channels, are you not watching the HD versions 805 and 807?

Admin1

badhd -- A tech's job is to not only check your interior connections but also check all external connections. As geek46 suggests, if there is something interfering with your frequency then you need a tech to find it and resolve it. That's not something you would already know or be able to resolve on your own. I'm also not sure why you're saying it's a "fact" that people haven't gotten better results by having a tech. There are numerous threads acknowledging that by having a tech visit their was resolved. 

Contributor

Yes I am watching HD 805+807.

Now if I have a tech come out and nothing changes I want $5 from each of you who told me to do it(ha)!

I have not read any results that there were changes after a tech visited.I also admit I have not read every thread on here.But all the ones I have read it seems those people are having the same issues I am having with no results from Comcast.If someone had these same problems and had them resolved please let me know what was done to fix the issue.It seems that from what everyone is saying it is that the signal is now 720 instead of 1080.Is that not true?Thanks

Contributor

Was on the the phone again with Comcast today.Nice agent spoke with me for over a half hour trying to figure out why my picture is not so good anymore.He tried and suggested many things.Nothing worked.Told him ok,send out a tech.Me and the agent agreed there is probably not much else the tech will do that was not tried already.But hey,have to give it a chance.He is coming on Friday Dec.9.And YES I am being charged for the visit.Got a feeling nothing will be resolved and will be charged for nothing.But hey,you never know.At least I will get piece of mind either way.Picture gets fixed or I leave Comcast for something else.To bad I just started a new 2 year contract.But if I have to leave Comcast and pay the early contract termination fee I will.Want a better picture like I had before.Verizon has a great deal going on now so maybe I try them.Will keep you posted on my results.

Official Employee

badhd wrote:

Was on the the phone again with Comcast today.Nice agent spoke with me for over a half hour trying to figure out why my picture is not so good anymore.He tried and suggested many things.Nothing worked.Told him ok,send out a tech.Me and the agent agreed there is probably not much else the tech will do that was not tried already.But hey,have to give it a chance.He is coming on Friday Dec.9.And YES I am being charged for the visit.Got a feeling nothing will be resolved and will be charged for nothing.But hey,you never know.At least I will get piece of mind either way.Picture gets fixed or I leave Comcast for something else.To bad I just started a new 2 year contract.But if I have to leave Comcast and pay the early contract termination fee I will.Want a better picture like I had before.Verizon has a great deal going on now so maybe I try them.Will keep you posted on my results.

Please let us know how the technician visit goes. I will make sure that you are credited in full if you are charged for the technician visit.

If you decide to disconnect, we can also review the early termination fees. Thanks for letting us out to take a closer look. 

Contributor

Thank you ComcastTeds.I appreciate that.It would only be fair that if nothing changes after the tech visit that I not be charged.Especially since everything was fine before I changed to a cable box that Comcast said I needed.Will give you my results after the visit on Friday afternoon.Thanks

Contributor

The techs came by today(2 of them together).Both very nice guys.Checked the signal and wires and all that stuff.All was good there.He even changed the main splitter in my crawl space even though I changed that myself not too long ago.He also cut the heads off all the wires that were going into the main splitter and attached new better heads on them.He did all this to see if there would be an improvement.But there was really no change in picture quality.They said they will come back and change the outside wire that leads into the house.But I do not think they are changing the main wire that comes from the poll to the house.Just the line from the outside of the house to the inside of the house I think.Could be wrong though,maybe they are doing both.Will find out for sure when I set up the service call.They said they will also install a connection box near my electric meter so they can ground it as they were not sure if the cable was grounded because the cable outside my house was behind the vinyl siding.This will involve drilling a new entry for the cable to enter my house to my crawl space.Not crazy about that.I was also not sure what portion of the cable coming to my house is my responsibility and what is Comcasts.I asked if this cost will be Comcasts or mine.They said "should" be Comcasts but they did not seem to convincing to me.I will find out for sure before any work is done.As I said both techs were very nice and a pleasure to deal with.And before the techs came today I got a call from someone at Comcast that wanted to discuss the issues I was having.She was very pleasant and seemed very eager to get this issue solved for me.She said she will be in touch with me throughout this whole procces.I was impressed with that.So we will see what goes on from here.Will keep you informed.

Gold Problem Solver

Please post the full model number of your "main" TV set.

badhd wrote:

The techs came by today(2 of them together).Both very nice guys.Checked the signal and wires and all that stuff.All was good there.He even changed the main splitter in my crawl space even though I changed that myself not too long ago.He also cut the heads off all the wires that were going into the main splitter and attached new better heads on them.He did all this to see if there would be an improvement.But there was really no change in picture quality.They said they will come back and change the outside wire that leads into the house.But I do not think they are changing the main wire that comes from the poll to the house.Just the line from the outside of the house to the inside of the house I think.Could be wrong though,maybe they are doing both.Will find out for sure when I set up the service call.They said they will also install a connection box near my electric meter so they can ground it as they were not sure if the cable was grounded because the cable outside my house was behind the vinyl siding.This will involve drilling a new entry for the cable to enter my house to my crawl space.Not crazy about that.I was also not sure what portion of the cable coming to my house is my responsibility and what is Comcasts.I asked if this cost will be Comcasts or mine.They said "should" be Comcasts but they did not seem to convincing to me.I will find out for sure before any work is done.As I said both techs were very nice and a pleasure to deal with.And before the techs came today I got a call from someone at Comcast that wanted to discuss the issues I was having.She was very pleasant and seemed very eager to get this issue solved for me.She said she will be in touch with me throughout this whole procces.I was impressed with that.So we will see what goes on from here.Will keep you informed.

Contributor

Hey Rickgr4. Here is what you requested: Samsung LN37B650T1FXZA

Contributor

Geez - badhd - I feel for you.  Sadly I'm afraid what you are seeing is just the 'new' way Comcast is doing HD with their MPEG4 and 720p.

I have no doubt the guys that came out have the best of intensions but changing connectors and coax cable isn't going to change the picture quality.  That's just not how digital cable works.  Signal level problems along with cable and connector problems can cause problems like breakups, freezing, blocking etc but cable and connectors don't cause a drop in resolution and the mushing of the picture that is seen with their over-compressed MPEG4 720p signals.

I really do have an interest in Comcast because I would love to go back but not until they correct their mistake of downrezzing everything to 720p and then overcompressing that.  When they give us back the 'unmolested' signal the providers are sending out I'll sign up for TV again and tell DirecTV to get lost.  Until then I won't pay them a dime for their horrible picture qualtiy.

Contributor

Yes mgreer I think you may be right.Don't think anything is going to help at this point.

Gold Problem Solver

Actually, a newer and better TV would help a great deal. Video processing improves every year.  

You have a 6 year old, low to mid level Samsung. Light years away from a "reference" TV.

Strongly suggest you buy a newer and better TV set.

badhd wrote:

Yes mgreer I think you may be right.Don't think anything is going to help at this point.

Contributor

Rickgr4.The fact of the matter is the TV picture was great before I changed the box.Actually got many compliments on the picture.After the box change,not so good.And yes, the TV may be 6 years old.But when I bought it was not considered a"low to mid level" as you say.Actually quite the opposite.It was at the time one of the best TV's on the market.And costly.So to call it "light years away"after 6 years six may be an unfair statement.And there are plenty of people on here with the newest and greatest TV's that are having the same issues I am having.Some of us are not lucky enough to buy a new LG OLED TV every few years.I am sure if a buy a new TV I will have the same issues I am having now.Just like other people on here.But thank you for the info and your time.

Gold Problem Solver

I have been involved in the business of selling or installing high end TV sets nearly 40 years.

Sorry to tell you this but a six year old Samsung "6" series TV is out of date and far from top of the line. When you say your picture was fine before you changed boxes I do not believe you. I think it is a TV setting issue.

Funny but I only see a small handful of people complaining about X1's picture quality that have reference level TV sets.

badhd, your problem is elsewhere. As I have said many times before, we can't see what you are seeing. But what I do know is you have a really basic TV set and you probably don't know what to look for or how to properly adjust a TV set.

I suggest you spend more time learning how to adjust a TV set for best picture and less time complaining to Comcast.

Comcast has over 10 million X1 boxes in service. A few people in this forum are complaining about picture quality. Sorry but the problem here is localized to you or your perception.

Why don't you post some pictures of what you are seeing?

badhd wrote:

Rickgr4.The fact of the matter is the TV picture was great before I changed the box.Actually got many compliments on the picture.After the box change,not so good.And yes, the TV may be 6 years old.But when I bought it was not considered a"low to mid level" as you say.Actually quite the opposite.It was at the time one of the best TV's on the market.And costly.So to call it "light years away"after 6 years six may be an unfair statement.And there are plenty of people on here with the newest and greatest TV's that are having the same issues I am having.Some of us are not lucky enough to buy a new LG OLED TV every few years.I am sure if a buy a new TV I will have the same issues I am having now.Just like other people on here.But thank you for the info and your time.

Contributor

So you say you don't believe me that my picture was fine before I changed boxes.Ok,whatever.I guess the tech that was here and agreed with me was lying too.It is also more then a small handful of people complaining.Go back and read.And yes Daddy I will stop complaining to Comcast to make you happy.And to say the problem is me or my perception is a very rude comment.But from reading many of your posts on this site that is a common issue with you.Sure I speak for many in that regard.You are rude and obnoxious to most on here.People come on this site for help and not to be ridiculed.Sure you were a novice once.But now it is obvious you must work for Comcast or own stock in them.So "Sorry Man" as you like to say.

All who agree say "I" (haha)!

Gold Problem Solver

badhd,

Your issue is elsewhere. Sorry but it is. Every ounce of my 40 years of experience tells me that you are missing something.

I do not work for Comcast nor do I own Comcast stock.

No offense to anyone that works for Comcast but the odds that you would encounter a Comcast tech who knows as much about assessing TV picture quality as I do is extremely remote.

I realize some people don't care for my "style" but did you happen to notice who has the most kudos and solution credits in this forum?

badhd wrote:

So you say you don't believe me that my picture was fine before I changed boxes.Ok,whatever.I guess the tech that was here and agreed with me was lying too.It is also more then a small handful of people complaining.Go back and read.And yes Daddy I will stop complaining to Comcast to make you happy.And to say the problem is me or my perception is a very rude comment.But from reading many of your posts on this site that is a common issue with you.Sure I speak for many in that regard.You are rude and obnoxious to most on here.People come on this site for help and not to be ridiculed.Sure you were a novice once.But now it is obvious you must work for Comcast or own stock in them.So "Sorry Man" as you like to say.

All who agree say "I" (haha)!

Contributor

Think I am about to give up.Spent money on a brand new high end Samsung TV and high end HDMI cables earlier this year and the picture still stinks with the new X1 cable box.As I have said before in many posts the picture was better with the old cable boxes.I was watching a baseball and hockey game today and it looked horrible.

Went to the Direct TV site today to check out prices.Think I wil keep internet with Comcast but go to Direct TV for my telivision.Hopefully their picture quality is better.Will check some other providers first.Still have 1 year left on my 2 year triple play package contract with Comcast.Guess I will just have to pay the early termination fee or however it works since I am still keeping internet with them.

Expert
Moved:

Official Employee

Year old thread closed