Community Forum

New: DVR In-Game Highlights

Official Employee

New: DVR In-Game Highlights

Hi X1 customers!

Have you seen DVR In-Game Highlights in Comcast Labs?

The new features lets you jump through the highlight plays in soccer or football games by pressing Pg Up/Down.  To use In-Game Highlights, turn the feature on in Comcast Labs, record an upcoming MLS, EPL, La Liga, or NFL game to your DVR, and you will see the new feature available in the DVR recording.

Currently, In-Game Highlights only works in the areas near Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., Chicago, Denver and San Francisco. Additional markets will be added soon.

Please let us know what you think of this new feature or how it could be improved. Leave your feedback below.

Thank you!

Silver Problem Solver

Re: New: DVR In-Game Highlights

What, no slow-motion?!!!

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Contributor

Yikes!  When enabled, does Pg Up/Down then override the skip forward/backward (by n seconds) functionality?  If so, I'm not sure I'll ever turn this feature On.  I recorded a Broncos preseason game earlier this eve and the first time I pressed Pg Up to start skipping ahead 30 secs to advance past a commercial (I've reprogrammed the 5-min skip ahead to 30-secs), the recording leap-frogged forward 10-15 minutes!

When enabled, are the "highlights" marked within the recording?  How exactly does it work?  I just turned OFF the feature and Pg Up is still leap-frogging forward, I presume, to the next highlight.  Slightly confused here, as it appears I've lost the ability to skip ahead 30-seconds.  Note that I love the jump to In-Game Highlight concept, and it seems to work nicely, I just can't afford to lose skip foward/backward.

Official Employee

Hi there! Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts.

For the time being, usual Pg Up/Down functionality is disabled when
highlights are turned on. If you still see highlights in your recording
after disabling the feature in Comcast Labs, press Start Over instead of
Resume when you return to the game from the DVR menu.

You can see the highlights marked on the recording timeline by pressing
the down arrow. We created this feature by taking sports data and marking
the highlight plays on your DVR using Comcast's new Deep Metadata
technology.

We hope that you take some more time to explore this new feature, and please
feel free to tell us more.
Frequent Visitor

This is a useless feature since it's only enabled on soccer, which has no highlights.
Regular Contributor

chadwalters10 wrote:
This is a useless feature since it's only enabled on soccer, which has no highlights.

lol ... not a soccer fan, eh?  Actually, it's a pretty cool feature.  Give it a try if/when enabled in your market.  As Gwen mentioned in the OP, it's not available in all markets yet.  My only issue with it the other day was that the Pg Up/Dn buttons must be used to navigate highlights, which overrides the normal "advance by n seconds (or minutes)" functionality of these buttons.  I dislike using the FF button to bypass commercials, etc., which you must now do when the feature is enabled in Settings and the recording is "marked" with highlights.

Regular Contributor

ComcastGwen wrote:

technology.

Gwen, thanks for the additional info, very helpful.  I'll re-enable and do more testing.  In my opinion, we definitely need to find other buttons to jump frwd/bkwd through highlights ... but which ones, there are so few available!  My first thought might be to repurpose the "Back up" button (the arrow beneath Mute) to go BKWD to the previous highlight and the (unused) silver Up button (above OK) to advance FRWD to the next highlight?

The problem for me, if the Pg Up/Dn buttons are retained for In-Game Highlights feature, is that when I watch various recordings, some with and some without highlight markings, I won't remember (or even know) when I'll need to use FF to advance normally vs. advancing unintentionally to a highlight that I don't want to see (i.e. spoiler!).  It's just that the natural instinct for most users out here is to use Pg Up/Dn to skip n seconds/minutes.

One final question and a feature request ...

First, I love the use of (and the term) Deep Metadata.  Smiley Wink  Are the markings embedded within the DVR recording (i.e. on the hard drive) as the program is being recorded, and only if the feature is enabled in Settings?  In other words, I can't go back and enable the feature AFTER having recorded the program with it disabled and expect to see the markings suddenly appear, correct?

Also, it would be very nice if the feature were made to be a per-game option vs. a universal option in Settings.  I.e. as you initially setup the recording, another option appears (along with Save, Start, Stop) re: whether or not to enable In-Game Highlights for that game only.  Or ... the universal option could be retained and as you're setting up a recording, you're given the option to override the global setting.  Does that make sense? Smiley Wink

Problem Solver

ComcastGwen wrote:

technology.

Instead of using pgup/pgdown buttons on the remote, could the down arrow trick play menu add buttons for this functionality so that other remote functionality is not lost?

Official Employee

The highlights are stored in "the cloud" so you can turn the feature on or off after you make the recording. That's a great suggestion that we will definitely consider before we graduate the feature from Comcast Labs, where you could play the game in regular mode, or play with highlights.
Regular Contributor

ComcastErik wrote:
The highlights are stored in "the cloud" so you can turn the feature on or off after you make the recording. That's a great suggestion that we will definitely consider before we graduate the feature from Comcast Labs, where you could play the game in regular mode, or play with highlights.

Erik and Gwen - now that I have a few NFL games recorded, I've been able to experiment a bit more with Highlights. Note that I'm in the northern Colorado market. Let me start by saying that I really like what I'm seeing.

I've verified that:

* the white Highlight "tic marks" on the recording's timeline can be toggled On/Off by simply going into "Settings / Comcast Labs / DVR In-Game Highlights" and toggling this option On/Off

* when enabled, the words "Highlights Enabled" will appear in blue (on the right under program Details) after the Info button is pressed - must be something new, don't recall seeing that before, I appreciate the visible confirmation

* using PgUp/ PgDn navigated quickly through the highlights, when enabled; when NOT enabled, the PgUp/PgDn buttons advance n-seconds/minutes, per the original intent of these buttons -- See suggestion #4 below!

* the placement of the tic marks was mostly accurate, but on at least one occasion, after pressing PgUp to advance to a "1-yard TD run", playback started with the extra point kick, not the run!

Suggestions:

1) a solution to PgUp/PgDn button issue, discussed earlier in the thread, might simply be to make "toggling" of Highlights easier and quicker

2) to enable toggling, allow users to do any of the following ("C" is my personal favorite):

A--press the silver UP button during playback (button is currently unused during playback)

B--make it an option under the DOWN button (where CC toggle, etc. is located)

C--speak the word "Highlights" if they have a voice remote (make it work the same way as speaking "Captions" does now, which works great)

D--choose Highlights On/Off immediately after selecting "Watch" or "Resume"

3) I like that when you advance/reverse to a highlight, a rectangular box appears in the upper-right of the screen describing the highlight ... the problem is that it disappears too quickly. As soon as I press PgUp, my eyes go to the action ... and by the time I glance up to read the description, it's gone. On the other hand, if I choose to read the description first, I miss the beginning of the highlight (or all of it). Perhaps leave the description box up for 6-8 seconds before removing, versus 3-4 seconds as it is now?

4) upon further review (!), it appears that toggling Highlights from On->Off (via Settings) WHILE playing back a game's highlights DOES NOT immediately cause the PgUp/PgDn buttons to revert back to their default behavior (advancing n-seconds/minutes).  This only happens if you choose to "Start Over" from the beginning of the recording.  In my opinion, the change in button behavior (as a result of the toggle) needs to occur immediately, even as you are watching the game.

All for now Smiley Wink

Official Employee

Hi Anon- thank you so much for posting this feedback. Your thoughts are really great. Yes, I totally agree that we need to integrate it better with the playback experience but our initial focus during labs incubation to ensure that we have good coverage (everyone in all markets can get highlights) and that we have good quality (all of the highlights are accurate and meaningful).

We have received some meaningful feedback that interfering with PageUp/PageDn behavior is intrusive so I agree we need to work on a better way to toggle this. I really like your "c" suggestion, so that we must do, and we will probably do one or more of your other suggestions in addition to voice enabling.

In an upcoming release we are adding the ability to toggle the message that users see when the highlight starts, so that we don't "spoil" the play that you are about to watch, so look for that feature soon. We might be able to extend that capability as another option to turn highlights off entirely.

Highlights are loaded when you "watch" or "start over", so that's a Todd catch that we don't disable them if youngish the feature off in Comcast Labs. I also noticed that highlights don't get updated if you resume play, so that's something else we need to address before we graduate from Comcast Labs. We are also working on live updates so that if you are watching the DVR'd recording of a game in progress we will automatically add new highlights to the progress bar without having to restart the DVR program.

But in general, is this a feature that you would find yourself using frequently?

Again, thanks for the awesome feedback!! Keep it coming and we will keep improving!
Official Employee

A *good catch not a Todd catch. 😁
Regular Contributor

ComcastErik wrote:

But in general, is this a feature that you would find yourself using frequently?

Definitely Erik, I've already used it many times and enjoy it.  Still need the ability to toggle the On/Off in a more user-friendly way (or ways!), that also applies the toggle in "real-time", but you're already aware of that request. Smiley Wink  Also, regarding the blue "Highlights Enabled" notification that appears when a recording is selected for playback ... another good place to display this notification is DURING playback if/when the Info button is pressed.  If you do so currently, it's not displayed.  Anyway, thanks for running with some of this feedback.  Am a little surprised that more users aren't offering their $0.02 here, before the feature is migrated out of Comcast Labs, as I think it's a pretty cool (like the new Auto Extend recording option, which I love).

Regular Visitor

I've used the Highlights since they first came out when the older playback contols were still in use when it allowed us to turn on or off the highlight info, were it tells you what the highlighted play result is.

Now, using the Highlights feature with the new playback controls it appears that the ability to turn off the highlight "info" is now missing. Using Highlights with the old playback controls we were able to press Info button to turn off the result of the highlighted play. I still like a little mystery when watching the highlights and I'd like to be able to turn them off. 

Unless there's a way to turn off the Highlight Info that I was not able find, please add this feature back to the new playback controls.

Diamond Problem Solver

Year and a half old thread now being closed.

Official Employee

E.G.- Highlights just graduated from Labs. We should leave this thread open to get feedback on the feature now that it's out of labs.
Official Employee

Hi Jim- you can turn off highlights by just pressing ok (center button) on your remote when the highlight option is selected. Its the same button you use to turn them on. Push down once to see the highlights and push down once more to get the options to display.
Gold Problem Solver

ComcastErik wrote:
E.G.- Highlights just graduated from Labs. We should leave this thread open to get feedback on the feature now that it's out of labs.

Thread Re-Opened.

Regular Visitor

Thanks for the response however I think you might be missing the point. I know how to turn on/off the highlights. I only want to turn off the result of the highlight. I want the highlight itself on but I don't want to know the result of the play that is highlighted. If the highlight is a touchdown, I don't want to know it's a touchdown, I just want to know that there's a highlight at that point.

The highlights that were first introduced with the older playback controls allowed me to use the "info" button to turn off the highlight RESULT. I want the highlight on, but not what the result of highlight is. This is an important part of the highlights. Otherwise I have no use for them as it removes the mystery from the game.

Frequent Visitor

I enjoy NFL DVR highlights, but why NOTHING for MLB?  It seems it would be a feature great for baseball. When will MLB be a DVR highlights options??

Regular Visitor

This no longer is working
Something broke for this was working weeks back
New Poster

I live in concord, ca and was using nfl highlights until the end of October 2017 when I was no longer available when pressed the down arrow. I checked Comcast lab and there is no option to turn it on.
Regular Visitor

Here in VA it is working at least for the few NFL games that I watch, but the issue I posed earlier still exists, namely that the selected highlight is labeled as to what the event is about. I only want to know there's a highlight, but to keep some of the mystery by not telling us the outcome of the highlight. As a result, I only use this feature on a very limited basis

Regular Visitor

So does anyone else have issues with some of the games?  Most times, the highlights are fine, on time, etc.  but, there have been multiple times when the highlight mark brings you to the point in the game too late for the play.  Now, I’m watching the Rams & Saints from 11/26.  I thought I was seeing the same thing here, but then realized the highlight time-marks are for the Raiders/Broncos game, which was going on at the same time, but not broadcast in my market.  What’s up with that?

Now, I'm watching the Steerlers vs Packers.  The highlights are for the correct game, but waaay off. I skipped from the game beginning to the first highlight, and the score was already 14-6.  Someone needs to look abit closer at this feature, because it's not really working as intended.  I've seen it work great, but it seems like that's not the norm now.

Regular Visitor

Just noticed this capability in Portland OR. Saw the notice and turned on highlights easily enough. BUT the page up/down buttons do not skip to the next highlight. I have to manually fast forward to the next highlight. Any suggestions?
Regular Visitor

Press Down, then immediately press OK...no other buttons are necessary.

The reason it may appear that you need to forward to it is that the current position on screen is maintained in the event that you don't actually want to jump to the highlight. Just press the OK button and it advances directly to the next highlight. Pressing Down places a circle over the next highlight to indicate where the highlight is, but does not advance to it until you press OK. You can also use Left and Right to skip through the highlights but you'll still need to press OK to tune to it.

I still have issue that there is no way to remove the play's result from screen. Despite wanting to advance forward in the game, I'd still like some mystery to the play about to happen. The result of the highlight and the team that benefits should not be shown, or at least turning off the result should be an option.

As good as this feature is, I think Comcast/Xfinity is sitting on their laurels thinking they've done good but they are not advancing the value of this feature. By limiting the games this feature supports, or the networks supported, and by not adding the ability to do anything else such as personalizing the Highlight feature as I've suggested, only makes customers use it less. I have stopped using it almost entirely but when I do use it, I have to divert my gaze while selecting the highlight but my peripheral vision still tells me who the highlight benefits.

New Poster

Whoever decides about the highlights for soccer games must not know much about soccer. Don't include substitutions, they are not highlights but rather include the build up to a goal or the reason for the penalty kick.