Community Forum

Netflix through cable or wifi?

New Poster

Netflix through cable or wifi?

I took a look at https://www.xfinity.com/netflix, but it's not clear to me if the Netflix feed comes from the Comcast TV cable or from wifi. Can it go either way, or is one the default?

Official Employee

Re: Netflix through cable or wifi?

If you’re watching though the X1 box it uses cable ( but is part of your monthly data limit).
New Poster

So running Netflix through the TV cable connected to the X1 box requires an Internet subscription through Comcast because of the data?

Official Employee

Correct
Expert

@coastalstream wrote:

So running Netflix through the TV cable connected to the X1 box requires an Internet subscription through Comcast because of the data?

I have my own 'free' (t-* mobile phone carrier paid) netflix. It works just fine with the X1 I do not pay Comcast for Netflix. is that what you are asking about?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Expert

Andrew:

Could you please clarify one question I still have with getting and using 4K IPV programming provided by Comcast. I still have only one cable-box (Cistco RNG150N) used on one Samsung 65" 3D UHD television.

It looks to me like I would need to replace the current box with the new 4K box. Would I also need a Comcast Gateway box, and possibly, additional Comcast Internet?

Or would the 4K box, or Gateway, allow me to only carry DLS for high-speed broadband.

Expert

@MNtundraRET wrote:

Andrew:

Could you please clarify one question I still have with getting and using 4K IPV programming provided by Comcast. I still have only one cable-box (Cistco RNG150N) used on one Samsung 65" 3D UHD television.

It looks to me like I would need to replace the current box with the new 4K box. Would I also need a Comcast Gateway box, and possibly, additional Comcast Internet?

Or would the 4K box, or Gateway, allow me to only carry DLS for high-speed broadband.

currently the only 4k set top box is the xg1v4 (version 4) DVR. it does not require a special router as it does not use your modem for communications. Currently only 4K is netflix if you have the 4K subscription level, and the Olympics have a lot of on-demand 4k titles.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Expert

@Rustyben wrote:

@MNtundraRET wrote:

Andrew:

currently the only 4k set top box is the xg1v4 (version 4) DVR. it does not require a special router as it does not use your modem for communications. Currently only 4K is netflix if you have the 4K subscription level, and the Olympics have a lot of on-demand 4k titles.

I understand what you are saying Rusty. I used to get all 4K supplied by Comcast for the last two years using the "Ultra HD Sampler". I got to watch everything that was ever put on that app. Reading all posts on 4K subject looks like all current , or future, 4K involving also live 4K will only happen over IPV. No mention at all about 4K on linear (current stand alone) cable.

So my question(s) have not been answered yet.

Official Employee

@MNtundraRET wrote:

Andrew:

You would need to swap up for the 4K DVR and YMMV but also add Comcast internet. That would be something to double check locally but since the X1 platform came out I've yet to install somebody that didn't have internet installed too.

Expert

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

@MNtundraRET wrote:

Andrew:

You would need to swap up for the 4K DVR and YMMV but also add Comcast internet. That would be something to double check locally but since the X1 platform came out I've yet to install somebody that didn't have internet installed too.

Thank you Andrew. I was afraid of that. We have always carried just HD cable service. With my wife's (now retired) concessions through phone co. it's hard to beat a net $25./mo for enough high-speed Internet to cover watching 4K from apps found on our Samsung television. Thank you again for a full accurate explanation. 

New Poster

In that case, does this mean that the X1 TV box supports wifi, or is the wifi still taken through the Internet router? If the former, is the TV cable used for wifi, or is there a separate cable for Internet plugged into the X1 TV box?

Expert

@coastalstream wrote:

In that case, does this mean that the X1 TV box supports wifi, or is the wifi still taken through the Internet router? If the former, is the TV cable used for wifi, or is there a separate cable for Internet plugged into the X1 TV box?

If you don't have the X15 box you don't have WiFi. your incoming coaxial cable is split to a coaxial cable to each box. The Gateway gets the signal off the Internet. An Ethernet cable is involved for Tv or computers. I know it sound confussing but the 2 boxes interact with each other (and Comcast computer), and final video / audio get to your television for either linear cable, or IPV (streaming Internet).

Official Employee

In that case, does this mean that the X1 TV box supports wifi, or is the wifi still taken through the Internet router? If the former, is the TV cable used for wifi, or is there a separate cable for Internet plugged into the X1 TV box?

None of the X1 boxes has anything to do with providing Wi-Fi or providing internet service. The Xi5 uses the 5ghz band to connect.