Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Netflix on Xfinity X1

Administrator

Netflix on Xfinity X1

**UPDATE 11/01/2017**

 

For Xfinity TV customers with a compatible X1 device, a Netflix Premium subscription and 4K-compatible TV, Netflix 4K progamming is now available. Netflix recommends an internet connection speed of at least 25 megabits per second to stream 4K titles, and Xfinity X1 customers will need the XG1v4 set top box. If a movie or TV show is available in 4K, the default playback will be in 4K. Future phases of 4K content on X1 will include search and discovery with the voice remote, editorialized collections within Xfinity On Demand and the option to choose a playback method (4K, HD, etc.) by program.

 

For additional information about 4K Netflix content, see here: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Netflix-Ultra-HD-UHD-4K-programming-on-Xfinity-X1/td-p/2991476

 

 

**Original Message**

 

Many are aware of the announcement made earlier this year about the Netflix Beta Program for our X1 platform. We are happy to announce that the Beta has ended and we are officially releasing the feature into our full production environment. Thank you for all of the feedback that you have provided so far and would love to continue hearing more from you.

We’re using this thread to bring prior questions about this subject together and we’ll continue to update as more information is available.

 

Here are some questions and answers:  

 

 

How can I access the Netflix app? 

 

  • There are two options for accessing Netflix content on X1:
    • Netflix is integrated into the browse menus and search functionality of X1. You can even use the voice remote to find and choose the program you want to watch. Once the program is found, just make sure you select the watch with Netflix option under the ways to watch.
    • The other way to access Netflix is press the Xfinity button, select apps, scroll down to the entertainment section and you should be able to see and open Netflix. 

 

How can I tell if my X1 Box is compatible with Netflix?

 

  • After you follow the steps above to launch the app you will be prompted with an offer to exchange your X1 TV Box for one that is compatible.

 

How can I swap my X1 box for one that is compatible? 

 

  • You will just need to follow the prompts after the step above in order to start the exchange process. Here is a screen shot in how it will look like.

netflix.png

 

 

New Poster

X1 - Netflix

Does anyone know about an Netflix app coming for the X1 TV platform?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 - Netflix

I have no idea but I think it would be HIGHLY unlikely because Netflix is direct competition for Comcast's On Demand services. That being said, doesn't your Blu-ray player have Netflix? My two Samsung and one Panasonic Blu-ray players all have Netflix.

 


jenbenny wrote:

Does anyone know about an Netflix app coming for the X1 TV platform?


 

 

 

 

 

Regular Visitor

Re: X1 - Netflix

yes but the problem with netflix is that it won't be on HD from blue ray box ;(

Administrator
Moved:

Re: X1 - Netflix

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 - Netflix


dandshomes wrote:

yes but the problem with netflix is that it won't be on HD from blue ray box ;(


Would you mind explaining that one?

 

Dave

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 - Netflix

Not only are many Netflix titles available in HD, they are currently trialing 4K Ultra HD...


dandshomes wrote:

yes but the problem with netflix is that it won't be on HD from blue ray box ;(









Regular Contributor

Re: X1 - Netflix

And if you have a Blu-Ray player that doesn't provide Netflix in HD, that's an issue with your player not Netflix.

 

Dave

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 - Netflix

Let's not forget that many "smart TVs" have built in Netflix which I am guessing is where the Netflix 4K Ultra HD trial is coming from...

 


relaximus wrote:

And if you have a Blu-Ray player that doesn't provide Netflix in HD, that's an issue with your player not Netflix.

 

Dave



 



 





Regular Contributor

Re: X1 - Netflix


RickGr4 wrote:

Let's not forget that many "smart TVs" have built in Netflix which I am guessing is where the Netflix 4K Ultra HD trial is coming from...


I picked up a 65" Curved Samsung (UN65HU9000FXZA) this past weekend and it's not available on my Netflix account (yet).

 

Dave

New Poster

Netflix account access via X1?

I also subscribe to Netflix. I noticed there was a Netflix app on X1, but it only showed shows/movies to ent.

Am I able to access my Netflix account via the X1 box?

Highlighted
Administrator
Moved:

Re: Netflix account access via X1?

New Poster

X1 Apps for TV. Can you add Netflix?

Does anyone know if you can add Netflix onto the X1 tv apps?  If so, how?

 

Expert

Re: X1 Apps for TV. Can you add Netflix?


apple99 wrote:

Does anyone know if you can add Netflix onto the X1 tv apps?  If so, how?

 


To add a comment to both John and Rick's answers,smartphones,  tablets, computers, laptops and most current Blu-Ray players can do this.   My laptop has an HDMI ouput which can be cabled to any pf my TV's shoudl I go that route.  I personally use 3 SONY inexpensive Blu Ray Players which all have Netflix, Hulu, You Tube connected to 3 TV's in my home....

 

Expert

Re: X1 Apps for TV. Can you add Netflix?


John3758 wrote:

No. I don't know why people keep asking this.


My guess is that most people only understand the adding of APPS to smartphones, tablets and WIndows operating systems...  they must be assuming that adding Netflix is the same process on the X1 system...

New Poster

Re: X1 Apps for TV. Can you add Netflix?

To be clear, NOT everyone has a device that they can stream Netflix on every TV in their home.  I too had this question because I subscribe to Comcast Internet BUT I have a different supplier for my TV (not naming the company to avoid trolls).

 

With my current TV provider, I can watch Netflix on every TV within my home directly from my provider’s equipment and I do not need a separate device. I was looking at bundling my TV and internet with the Xfinity X1 system, but because Comcast doesn’t support apps that I am accustom too, I now have to really way all of my pros and cons.

 

From other posts regarding this same topic, I find to many forum members are in denial as to what Comcast can provide their consumers vs. honestly answering a simple question.

 

Comcast can opt into providing a Netflix app if they chose to do so and I see no reason why they couldn’t consider it like their competitors do with their set-top-box systems.

 

I understand that some feel that Netflix is a competitor to Comcast, however I do not see it that way unless I was using Netflix as a replacement for paid TV vs. an enhancement as I do currently.

 

Thank you for letting me know that Comcast doesn’t support a Netflix app and I now have to do more homework on if this is something that will make or break my decision with switch to the X1 system.

New Poster

Re: X1 Apps for TV. Can you add Netflix?

How can I access Netflix through my Blu Ray player?  What are your 5 other methods to access it.  

Expert

Re: X1 Apps for TV. Can you add Netflix?

My TV has a Neflix app.  My BD player also has a Netflix. app.

 

If your BD player doesn't have a Netflix app, the new ones are on sale now.

 

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=bd+player+with+netflix&tbm=shop

Expert
Moved:

Re: X1 Apps for TV. Can you add Netflix?

Regular Visitor

Re: X1 Apps for TV. Can you add Netflix?

Why anyone would assume this of one of the largest tech, network,tv,internet giants in the country is beyond me. Sheesh. :/ 

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 Apps for TV. Can you add Netflix?

And the TCL Roku TVs are awesome for the price.

Frequent Visitor

Netflix coming to X-1 !!!

Netflix coming to X-1! 

 

Today the announcement was made...So happy! I have always had their disc plan, but now with the app, it will be so much easier to stream! 

 

Thanks Comcast! 

 

http://www.recode.net/2016/7/5/12096380/comcast-to-let-netflix-onto-its-x1-platform-which-is-a-very-...

 

Regular Contributor

Re: Netflix coming to X-1 !!!

Please work with universal search!
Expert

Re: Netflix coming to X-1 !!!

I'm guessing an app like pandora?

New Poster

Netflix will be offered on Comcast X1 platform

To all those within the forum who keeped saying that it would never happen.... Well you shouldnt have spoken so fast!

 

There is NOW news that Comcast and Netflix have joined together to offer the X1 platform the opertunity to offer Netflix!

http://netflixlife.com/2016/07/05/netflix-will-be-offered-on-comcast-x1-platform/

Most Valued Poster

Re: Netflix will be offered on Comcast X1 platform

Meh, gave up on X1 getting any new apps years ago.They have been stagnant on offering new apps for as long as I can remember.  I use the Roku and will continue to do so.  No one cares on this end any more.  

 

Speaking of stagnant, where is the expanded DVR storage?  Where is the 100% cloud storage and added DVR space we were promised years ago, literally.  

 

For that matter Comcast is still rolling out their so called cloud DVR service some folks have been waiting for, for over two years now.  Pfffffft. 

 

So lets get all excited about Netflix.  An app that is already available on every BluRay player, Smart TV, Apple TV, Roku4, Roku 3, Roku 2, Roku Stick, Amazon Fire TV, Google Chromecast, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii U, OS/X, Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, iOS, Android and Windows Phone. I am so phyched. 

Most Valued Poster

Re: Netflix will be offered on Comcast X1 platform

Yeah lets fix Auto Extend before we get Netflix.
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Netflix coming to X-1 !!!

This ship has already sailed. I already have seven different ways (not counting computers) in my house to stream Netflix including Netflix 4K. I suspect Comcast adding Netflix will not change anything I am doing now.

Not to play devil's advocate but it is very possible Comcast will figure out a way to water this down and mess this up. The guide could be really poor. There could be sign up/sign in problems just like Pandora. Let's see the finished product up and running before we get excited.

That being said, this could be good news in regards to Comcast and their 3rd party relationships.



threecount wrote:

Netflix coming to X-1! 

 

Today the announcement was made...So happy! I have always had their disc plan, but now with the app, it will be so much easier to stream! 

 

Thanks Comcast! 

 

http://www.recode.net/2016/7/5/12096380/comcast-to-let-netflix-onto-its-x1-platform-which-is-a-very-...

 







Expert

Re: Netflix coming to X-1 !!!

IF and I mean IF, it doesn't cost anything, then it might be a BIG DEAL.

 

Wouldn't you agree, Rick?


RickGr4 wrote:

This ship has already sailed. I already have seven different ways (not counting computers) in my house to stream Netflix including Netflix 4K. I suspect Comcast adding Netflix will not change anything I am doing now.

Not to play devil's advocate but it is very possible Comcast will figure out a way to water this down and mess this up. The guide could be really poor. There could be sign up/sign in problems just like Pandora. Let's see the finished product up and running before we get excited.

That being said, this could be good news in regards to Comcast and their 3rd party relationships.



threecount wrote:

Netflix coming to X-1! 

 

Today the announcement was made...So happy! I have always had their disc plan, but now with the app, it will be so much easier to stream! 

 

Thanks Comcast! 

 

http://www.recode.net/2016/7/5/12096380/comcast-to-let-netflix-onto-its-x1-platform-which-is-a-very-...

 








 

Expert

Re: Netflix coming to X-1 !!!


RobertWy wrote:

IF and I mean IF, it doesn't cost anything, then it might be a BIG DEAL.

 

Wouldn't you agree, Rick?


RickGr4 wrote:

This ship has already sailed. I already have seven different ways (not counting computers) in my house to stream Netflix including Netflix 4K. I suspect Comcast adding Netflix will not change anything I am doing now.

Not to play devil's advocate but it is very possible Comcast will figure out a way to water this down and mess this up. The guide could be really poor. There could be sign up/sign in problems just like Pandora. Let's see the finished product up and running before we get excited.

That being said, this could be good news in regards to Comcast and their 3rd party relationships.



threecount wrote:

Netflix coming to X-1! 

 

Today the announcement was made...So happy! I have always had their disc plan, but now with the app, it will be so much easier to stream! 

 

Thanks Comcast! 

 

http://www.recode.net/2016/7/5/12096380/comcast-to-let-netflix-onto-its-x1-platform-which-is-a-very-...

  


I was guessing it will be an app that we login with our netflix credentials via the secure site web link. Comcast will be offering subscriptions for netflix too getting some hard cash for adding new subs.

Expert

Re: Netflix coming to X-1 !!!

now IF they somehow incorporated it into the regular menu system in search or showing more episodes of shows available by selecting the episodes like we do on-demand now, then that woujld be awesome.

Regular Contributor

Re: Netflix coming to X-1 !!!

Just another "shiny ball" from Comcast to distract people from all the other problems and shortcomings of X1.  And in the story that I read, the Comcast rep said that it would "take some time to develop the app".  So maybe we'll see it in 2017.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Netflix coming to X-1 !!!

As I have said before, I do not use the Comcast remotes. My Roku, Panasonic and Samsung products all have shortcut buttons on their remotes to access Netflix. Obviously I have those shortcut buttons copied and programmed into my universal remotes.

It takes me just two simple button presses on my remotes to go from my systems being completely off to turned on and accessing Netflix (yes just two simple button presses).

I suspect Comcast will not provide a shortcut button to Netflix and it will take quite a few more steps to access it. Therefore I doubt I will be using Comcast's version of Netflix.

Robert I do not see how Comcast could charge over and above what we already pay for Netflix.



RobertWy wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

IF and I mean IF, it doesn't cost anything, then it might be a BIG DEAL.

 

Wouldn't you agree, Rick?


RickGr4 wrote:

This ship has already sailed. I already have seven different ways (not counting computers) in my house to stream Netflix including Netflix 4K. I suspect Comcast adding Netflix will not change anything I am doing now.

Not to play devil's advocate but it is very possible Comcast will figure out a way to water this down and mess this up. The guide could be really poor. There could be sign up/sign in problems just like Pandora. Let's see the finished product up and running before we get excited.

That being said, this could be good news in regards to Comcast and their 3rd party relationships.



threecount wrote:

Netflix coming to X-1! 

 

Today the announcement was made...So happy! I have always had their disc plan, but now with the app, it will be so much easier to stream! 

 

Thanks Comcast! 

 

http://www.recode.net/2016/7/5/12096380/comcast-to-let-netflix-onto-its-x1-platform-which-is-a-very-...

  


I was guessing it will be an app that we login with our netflix credentials via the secure site web link. Comcast will be offering subscriptions for netflix too getting some hard cash for adding new subs.


IOW, we still have to pay for the d*** thing.

 

I think you are correct.

 

And as Rick said it would mean nothing to me.  I have two Smart TV's that have the app.

 

Comcast is late to the party.  As people replace their TV's, it will only be a convenience feature.





Expert

Re: Netflix coming to X-1 !!!


RickGr4 wrote:

As I have said before, I do not use the Comcast remotes. My Roku, Panasonic and Samsung products all have shortcut buttons on their remotes to access Netflix. Obviously I have those shortcut buttons copied and programmed into my universal remotes.

It takes me just two simple button presses on my remotes to go from my systems being completely off to turned on and accessing Netflix (yes just two simple button presses).

I suspect Comcast will not provide a shortcut button to Netflix and it will take quite a few more steps to access it. Therefore I doubt I will be using Comcast's version of Netflix.

Robert I do not see how Comcast could charge over and above what we already pay for Netflix.



Agreed.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Netflix will be offered on Comcast X1 platform

I need to agree with Adam on this point. Auto Extend is potentially a very cool feature that could differentiate Comcast from their competition.

Yet Comcast has dropped the ball on this feature about as hard as they could possibly drop it.

Let's hope that Comcast implements Netflix MUCH better than they have Auto Extend.

I realize this thread is about Netflix but I just checked and neither the F1 race or the IndyCar race this Sunday offer Auto Extend as a recording option...



adammusic22 wrote:
Yeah lets fix Auto Extend before we get Netflix.

 

Valued Contributor

Re: Netflix will be offered on Comcast X1 platform

OK Comcast, if you want to be really useful add Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Vudu, Fandango Now, the MLB app and others.  

 

Give me a bunch of options, like Tivo does, and I might start to access them through your X1 box, otherwise, I'm just going to keep on accessing them through my TV like I have for years.

Contributor

Re: Netflix will be offered on Comcast X1 platform

This is wonderful! Smiley Happy I know it's baby steps but at least Comcast is going in the popular direction for the consumer. Since I've been using the X1 box a lot thanks to the DVR feature. I caught myself using it a lot more than my Apple TV which I would use for the On Demand content with the apps. But the X1 interface seems so rich and smooth that I can't go back to my Apple TV. So with having access to Netflix through the Apps section. It will make it a lot easier to remain connected on my X1 box rather than cycling to my Apple TV. I hope WWE Network and Hulu show up also! Smiley Happy
New Poster

Netflix

Heard you art getting Netflix... Is this true?

 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Netflix

Comcast and Netflix announced that the Netflix app will be available on X1 boxes later this year. You will most likely still need your own Netflix subscription. This just means you can watch it through the X1 box instead of your TV or separate streamer. Odds are, it will also still count toward your Internet data cap, as it probably use the built-in modem on the box, which is tied to your account.

New Poster

Re: Netflix coming to X-1 !!!

A Netflix app is definitely a Good Thing.  Less changing remotes, less changing TV or AVR inputs.  Thumbs up from me.  But fer gawdsakes make it launch fast.  Do whatever it takes.  It's enough of a drag waiting for the stream to start.

 

Searching Netflix by character entry with ANY remote totally blows.  If it works with Universal Search, that will be a huge win.  (Apple TV has it but it's not reliable -- for example, if you search for House of Cards the Netflix version will show up, but not if you search for, say, Sherlock.  I don't know how extensive the problem is because I immediately gave up on it.)

Frequent Visitor

Re: Netflix coming to X-1 !!!

Really don't want to lose my 4k Netflix content I watch now so no incentive to stream with the X1 box. Happy for the 1080 users but won't work for me.

Expert
Moved:

Re: Netflix will be offered on Comcast X1 platform

Expert
Moved:

Re: Netflix will be offered on Comcast X1 platform

Expert
Moved:

Re: Netflix will be offered on Comcast X1 platform

Expert
Moved:

Re: Netflix will be offered on Comcast X1 platform

New Poster

Netflix

netflix  when will it become available to X1 subscribers and do you need a new box?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Netflix

Early next year and you won't need a new box.
New Poster

Connecting Netflix

How do I connect my Netflix account?

 

New Poster

Re: Netflix

thx so much for the ans. looking forward to the addition.

Regular Contributor

Re: Netflix

Considering that they originally said this fall and now we hear early next year, I'd be surprised if we see it prior to the 2nd quarter of next year.


CIAO!

Ed N.