Community Forum

Netflix Ultra HD (UHD) 4K programming on Xfinity X1

Official Employee

Re: Netflix Ultra HD (UHD) 4K programming on Xfinity X1

Ensure it’s on the proper hdmi port of your tv (important), box is set to 2160 and powercycle the box
Expert

adding.. you have to go into the web page netflix.com page and go to your account and update to UHD (gives you more streams too) and it is only $2/month more.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Regular Visitor

Installed XG1v4 box and running Netflix UHD4K movies. Doesn’t seem true 4K quality. Went to YouTube in X1 and they had 8K 60fps clips that were brilliant quality. Hope Comcast drives the same awesome quality when they release UHD content. 

Anyone know if the Netflix movies played in X1 consumes my internet data or is this just cable programming?

Official Employee

All of the Internet Apps use your data
Regular Visitor

Even Netflix in X1 consumes my internet data allocation. The X1 box can meter programming data usage?  It must distinguish cable programming from the apps in X1. Interesting. 

Expert

Gloo888 wrote:

Even Netflix in X1 consumes my internet data allocation. The X1 box can meter programming data usage?  It must distinguish cable programming from the apps in X1. Interesting. 

netflix outside of x1 and inside of x1 uses internet and goes against cap limit. cable programming other than using the TVgo channels on the stream app do not use your internet bytes. 

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Frequent Visitor

Guys I just got my XG1v4 box yesterday.  I got it installed and setup, I did have to change the video display to 4K 60Hz (default was 1080p).  Regular TV looks MUCH better, my guess is it is upscaling it.  I can view 4K OnDemand Olympic content inside X1, I watched the Opening Ceremony.  That looked great also.  

I still can not get the X1 Netflix app to show UHD content (I only see HD).  I rebooted my box and reloaded Netflix inside the app.  If I run the network speed test inside the Netflix app it shows 49M.  If I run Netflix from my Sony TV app or even on my Apple TV I can view 4K content, that proves that I am paying for UHD and my TV supports it.  Smiley Wink  I did confirm my account allows UHD also by looking at my subscription.

If I use the YouTube app from X1 I can also see 4K content and it looks amazing.

So I am 99% sure the issue is with the Comast Netflix X1 App (TV and cable look to be good).  Any ideas why that would be or how I can resolve this?

Frequent Visitor

@MichaelAP wrote:

Guys I just got my XG1v4 box yesterday.  I got it installed and setup, I did have to change the video display to 4K 60Hz (default was 1080p).  Regular TV looks MUCH better, my guess is it is upscaling it.  I can view 4K OnDemand Olympic content inside X1, I watched the Opening Ceremony.  That looked great also.  

I still can not get the X1 Netflix app to show UHD content (I only see HD).  I rebooted my box and reloaded Netflix inside the app.  If I run the network speed test inside the Netflix app it shows 49M.  If I run Netflix from my Sony TV app or even on my Apple TV I can view 4K content, that proves that I am paying for UHD and my TV supports it.  Smiley Wink  I did confirm my account allows UHD also by looking at my subscription.

If I use the YouTube app from X1 I can also see 4K content and it looks amazing.

So I am 99% sure the issue is with the Comast Netflix X1 App (TV and cable look to be good).  Any ideas why that would be or how I can resolve this?

I am having the exact same problem. Like you, I have other streaming devices from which I have Netflix 4K content... Roku 4 and Sony UBP-X800 4K BluRay Player. In both cases the individual shows which have a 4K option show up as 4K. There is also a separate 4K category listed as well. I get neither of these even though I have the display setting at 4K on the XG1v4 as evidenced by the fact that I can watch the Olympics 4K content.

I also have restarted the XG1v4, unplugged the XG1v4 and plugged it back in, and restarted the Netflix application from within the settings page in Netflix. None of these appear to have an impact on my ability to see 4K content in the Netflix App.

Regards, SLY
Frequent Visitor

It looks like I found my issue with viewing Netflix 4k inside of X1.  I was looking at the documentation on my TV and it looks like only 3 of my HDMI ports support copyrighted content.  Of course the one HDMI port I had my XG1v4 connected to did not support copyrighted content.  I am not sure how that all works but after moving it to one of the support ports I can now view UHD content inside Netflix.

I know have another issue where if my TV is off for a while (like overnight and while I am at work) when I turn it on I get sound but no videw.  I have to reboot the XG1v4 to get it work.  Anyone having that issue?  I have not called finity yet since I just noticed this the past two days and was not sure if they pushed an update to cause it the first time.  FYI I did not notice that issue when I had it connected to the other HDMI port, I may swap back just to see what happenes.

I hope this post helps.

Mike

Silver Problem Solver

Try the two settings in Comcast Labs for HDMI Link and see if either makes a difference.

Regular Visitor

I just got the xg1 v4 but mine doesn't put out 4k on either Netflix app and YouTube app.. I have a 2.0 cable so that shouldn't be the issue I also have a uhd Netflix account... does it need activation ? I have a samsung curve tv and its hooked up to the hdmi port that says use this for cable boxes etc.
Regular Contributor

Am I missing something or is there no way to use voice search with the Netflix app on Comcast X1?

Like for example "Tom Hanks on Netflix"

I am asking because when I try it nothing happens and I can only seem to open the netflix app by saying "netflix" with my voice.

Expert

@gate1975mlm wrote:

Am I missing something or is there no way to use voice search with the Netflix app on Comcast X1?

Like for example "Tom Hanks on Netflix"

I am asking because when I try it nothing happens and I can only seem to open the netflix app by saying "netflix" with my voice.

Using voice commands depends a lot on specific key words stored in a search.

After openning the app by saying "netflix", have you tried saying "find Tom Hank's movies"? Are there any movies currently found on Netflix with Tom Hanks?

Official Employee

I believe you need to say Tom Hanks and then check each movie for watch options(either normal On Demand or Netflix). But I don’t think you can specify where to look
Regular Contributor

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
I believe you need to say Tom Hanks and then check each movie for watch options(either normal On Demand or Netflix). But I don’t think you can specify where to look

Yep that is how it looks to me too.

It would be nice if like the YouTube app you could say "Tom Hanks movies on Netflix" and then it would open the netflix app andshow you Tom Hanks movies. And while in the netflix app voice search would be nice instead of having to type it in.