Community Forum

Netflix Ultra HD (UHD) 4K programming on Xfinity X1

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Netflix Ultra HD (UHD) 4K programming on Xfinity X1

Tundra,

If you asking me, I have high end Audioquest HDMI cables. I also have a new Marantz 4K capable audio video receiver, all connected with Audioquest cables.
Expert

I meant the reply for LeeSoFL.

I know you are set up right, Rick.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

MN, new TV with the latest and greatest Smiley Happy cables, up to 18Gbps bandwidth.

Valued Contributor

I know it's going to come off as glib, but I'm able to get full 4K @ 16Mbps Netflix from 1) Sony 4K player, 2) Roku Ultra and 3) Sony Z9D on-board application.

The only device not successfully passing a Netflix 4K (resolution) signal is the XG1 v4 box.  But, as I said before, the X1's Netflix app is showing the menu bar and 4K title cards for Ultra 4K.  This 4K menu would not show up if it the box was not getting the app.  Speed at 6Mbps is the issue.

Gold Problem Solver

Lee,

I believe I answered this in my earlier post. I believe the Comcast is at 6 and Netflix is at 18 is because Netflix has HDR signal available.
Valued Contributor

The displayed resolution would be 3840x2160 at 6000 kbps if that was the case.  This is not a 4K image, be it HDR, (which I get on the three other devices) at a faster bitrate or not.

The resolution of the Comcast 4K box is not going past 1080!

Gold Problem Solver

Lee,

How are you determining the connection speed of the X1 box? My XG1V4 does not offer the "info" screen when watching Netflix like my new Sony 4K Blu-ray player does. I don't see how you are testing the Netflix connection speed of your X1 box. How are you verifying that your X1 box is not going past 1080. Mine is.

In case you did not notice the Netflix guide "samples" the connection speed to determine the best resolution. The picture won't be at it's best for three to five minutes. My Sony Blu-ray player reports a Netflix connection speed of 15.26 after a couple of minutes and yes the picture jumps to 2160 when the box passes 6 connection speed.

Also, I have found that the Netflix guide appears to be extremely fussy. Sometimes it offers me 4K programs, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it offers me HDR, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it offers me Dolby Digital Plus audio, sometimes it doesn't. My question is this: if you have multiple devices on your Netflix account (I do) how does the Netflix guide know which device you are using unless you reboot the device?

I have found that if Netflix is not behaving the way you expect, the Netflix device needs to be unplugged and rebooted so the Netflix guide can re-evaluate the system being used. Today I verified that on a Samsung Q-LED TV in my showroom.

LeeSoFL wrote:

The displayed resolution would be 3840x2160 at 6000 kbps if that was the case.  This is not a 4K image, be it HDR, (which I get on the three other devices) at a faster bitrate or not.

The resolution of the Comcast 4K box is not going past 1080!

Valued Contributor

Rick- There are a dozen "TEST PATTERN" programs on Netflix that carry the RESOLUTION and STREAM SPEED imbedded in the image.  Images posted in the Comcast 90 degree format below. 

Comcast's X1 4K Netflix app shows 1080 at only 5800kbps. 

All my other devices show 4K 2160 at 16000 kbps (16Mpbs)Comcast X1 Speed.JPGComcast's 4K Smiley Wink 1080 speedAll Other Netflix Devices.JPGSony TV 4K app at 16M 2160TV Internal Display.JPGSony TV internal res display

My guide on Netflix has been rock solid!  If it's in 4K it says ULTRA HD menu bar.  If it's in HDR is clearly specifies that.  

Appreciate the help, but you're adding red herrings all over the place.

Valued Contributor

The 4K guide (Ultra HD) menu bar only shows up if the device is 4K.  Otherwise it is not among the selected "my list, because you watched" etc.

Gold Problem Solver

I have seen the Netflix test patterns but I have not played with them. I will try to verify what the Netflix resolution is on Comcast but I am very sure it's providing 4K when a 4K program is selected.

I think you missed part of my point. On occasion I can fire up Netflix and the 4K menu bar is missing even though I am using a 4K device. But a quick power cycle fixes it.

I am guessing I have quite a few more devices on my Netflix account (some 4K and some 1080p) than you do which would explain why the Netflix guide attempts to "sample" the connected AV system every time you fire it up. In my case this "sampling" process is not always correct but a reboot fixes it. I had that happen last night with my XG1V4.
Valued Contributor

Capture.PNGthanks

Frequent Visitor

I was able get 4K 16000kbps on the test pattern last night at around 10:30pm, however earlier in the evening the best it would do was 1080P 5800kbps.  I'm not sure if there is network optimization (a.k.a. throttling) happening during peak hours or if it's just network congestion but I can confirm the box is capable of 16M 4k Netflix. 

Valued Contributor

Yes, here too.  This morning it was at 16Mbps @ 2160.  Going to keep an eye on it to see if it wiggles around.  

I was told by rep "I'm the best part of Comcast," to which I said "I AM!"  

Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

ComcastJessie wrote:

All,

To answer a few of your questions, as of now, the only 4K content that is available from Comcast is Netflix programming. Whatever definition they decide to provide for their programming is what we will pass along to our customers. Remember, in order to receive this new 4K content you must meet the following qualifications:

• You must be an XFINITY X1 customer
  • You must have a Netflix Premium subscription that includes their 4K programming
  • You must have a compatible 4K television
  • You must have XFINITY's XG1v4 4K set top box

Things to note:

• Netflix recommends an Internet connection speed of at least 25 Mbps to stream 4K titles
  • If a movie or show is available in 4K, and you meet all the above qualifications, the default playback will be in 4K. 

I hope this answers your questions. If you need anything else of have any further questions please don't hesitate to let us know here. 

I've had the XG1v4 for a coupe of months but just got a 4k tv tonight. When I hooked it up the v4 immediately recognised the 4k tv and offered 2160p30 UHD ( previously 1080p60 was the highest ). I also have a 4k Netflix subscription. When I stream on my ps4 or the tv's native app I get offered 4k, it says 'HDR', but the same shows on the X1's Netflix app only says 'HD'. I rebooted and refreshed and no change. It is rooted through a receiver but it's 4k capable and the XG1v4 had no trouble recognising the 4k display in the video settings so I don't think thats the issue.

Gold Problem Solver

I finally decided to run this test on my main system with the new XG1V4 box. It popped right up to 16000mbps (4k) right away AFTER I POWER CYCLED MY X1 BOX...!!!

The Netflix guide appears to run a diagnostic process every time we start Netflix. It analyzes our connected system and the quality of our network connection.

The problem is.... I have found the Netflix guide is not always accurate and often requires a reboot in order to properly detect the connected system. As I write this I am watching Grace and Frankie on Netflix in 4K along with Dolby Digital Plus audio.

But I had to power cycle my X1 box to get to this point...

PS. One of the very nice aspects of the new XG1V4 box is that it power cycles and reboots MUCH faster than previous X1 boxes.

Valued Contributor

cldlhd - Comcast's 4K Netflix app does not support HDR (yet.)

The HDR I receive is from the Sony TV app (and also from the Roku Ultra.)  The Sony Z9 changes to different settings (as long as Extended option is selected) for HDR.  

Gold Problem Solver

Yes, I have no problem with HDR when I use my Roku Ultra or my Sony 4K Blu-ray player....

Comcast is behind on this issue...
Valued Contributor

Off the Comcast aspect of the forum for a second:

HDR picture quality is generally excellent.  

On "The Punisher," there was occasional open-captioning, and the level of the caption was painfully bright. 

More importantly, there are "blowouts" where any type of table lamp, neon sign or overhead fluorescent light is overly pronounced and looks like it's ready to catch on fire! It also seems to present this over emphasized luminance in shots where there is a bright daylight background. 

Gold Problem Solver

Lee I think HDR is work in progress...

I agree that some material seems "exaggerated".
Expert

You can adjust for that type of problem by just switching to "movie" or "Cinema" setting on your television. Using "Vivid" or "Dynamic" is best on outdoor scenes but could cause the problems for some movies. Of course you can make custom adjustments in any video mode.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Gold Problem Solver

Tundra,

With all due respect, nobody is more aware of how TV settings can impact this than I am. In fact I have been preaching about TV settings in this forum for three years now.

I should mention that my two best TVs have had their settings professionally calibrated...
Valued Contributor

Same here, and btw Vivid type settings would never be seen in this house.  Smiley Happy

Expert

The reply is for others reading this post. I am fully aware of your calibrating. I have always done the same since my first RCA color television back in 1964.

Gold Problem Solver

Tundra,

Maybe you could use the "quote" feature in the forum so we know who and what you are speaking to...
Frequent Visitor

As this is about the most active XG1v4 thread on the forums, I figured I'd ask it here.  Anyone having trouble getting their Logitech Harmony remotes to control this box?  

Figured most everyone here is an AV enthusiast, so maybe there's a chance you guys are using your Harmonies/Alexa to control your TV's, Receivers & XG1v4.  I noticed several threads on Logitech's forums as well, but just wondering if anyone here got it to work? and if you found some trick to get it going?

Thanks to everyone for the tips on getting 4K Netflix up & running.  That part is working great for me now.  

Gold Problem Solver

Yes, the XG1V4 appears to have serious issues with it's IR signal receiving capabilities. I have mentioned it in this forum a few times now.

I plan to troubleshoot it this weekend. I suspect two problems. The poor IR receiving performance could be one or the other or a combination of both. First, the IR receiving window on the box is poorly located and Comcast needs to get into the firmware and increase the IR signal sensitivity. Second, previous X1 boxes worked just fine when a universal remote was programmed to send just one "repeat". I have a feeling that the XG1V4 requires two or three repeats in order to function properly.

That being said, the XG1V4 is by far the fastest responding X1 box and when set to 1080p has the best picture quality I have seen from an X1 box.

jolthammer wrote:

As this is about the most active XG1v4 thread on the forums, I figured I'd ask it here.  Anyone having trouble getting their Logitech Harmony remotes to control this box?  

Figured most everyone here is an AV enthusiast, so maybe there's a chance you guys are using your Harmonies/Alexa to control your TV's, Receivers & XG1v4.  I noticed several threads on Logitech's forums as well, but just wondering if anyone here got it to work? and if you found some trick to get it going?

Thanks to everyone for the tips on getting 4K Netflix up & running.  That part is working great for me now.  

Frequent Visitor

When I look under the remote settings, it appears to be only in RF mode.  Is there a way to change it to IR? or RF/IR?  Or is this something that is not really necessary?

Gold Problem Solver

IR is the default. If you paired an X1 remote to the box then it is now RF but it can still receive IR signals from 3rd party remotes.

X1's RF remote communication is Zigbee and it is locked down. At this point, no other remote can communicate directly over RF with an X1 box.

The only way 3rd party remotes can communicate directly with an X1 box is using infrared and XG1V4 boxes appear to have serious problems with infrared signal receiving.
New Poster

Why  can't I see the 4K content directly from Netflix to my 4K Tv set ? Why do I need XG1v4 ?

Official Employee

You don’t “need” it. If you’re content watching the 4K Netflix through your Smart TV, you don’t have a change a thing. The V4 dvr is merely another way to access it.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee
New Poster

XG1v4 + X1 satellite boxes?

I have an XG1v4 box arriving tuesday to replace my X1 DVR - I also have 2 Pace Xi3 companion satellite boxes in other rooms, one of which is connected to a 4K TV - assuming proper hdmi cables, will the Xi3 satellite box transmit the Netflix 4K signal to the TV, or do I need to upgrade that Xi3 companion box? Thanks!

Silver Problem Solver

Re: XG1v4 + X1 satellite boxes?

IanG153 wrote:

I have an XG1v4 box arriving tuesday to replace my X1 DVR - I also have 2 Pace Xi3 companion satellite boxes in other rooms, one of which is connected to a 4K TV - assuming proper hdmi cables, will the Xi3 satellite box transmit the Netflix 4K signal to the TV, or do I need to upgrade that Xi3 companion box? Thanks!

It seems that the XG1V4 is the only X1 box that has 4K support.  None of the other X1 boxes have 4K HDMI ports, which is a requirement for 4K.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

^^^ Thanks for your response - I see that now in the very last line of the feature comparison table in your link. So even with the XG1v4 seems like only one TV in the house can get 4K passed through with xfinity unless I get 2 XG1v4 boxes ... not a great situation...

Official Employee

IanG153 wrote:

Only the dvr has 4K capability, presently another V4 would be the solution. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

thanks - would comcast swap an Xi3 for a second V4 without further charges?

Silver Problem Solver

IanG153 wrote:

No;  A second DVR costs me #19.90/mo, regardless of which model it is.  YMMV.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

I called up and they ordered one for me over the phone, waived the shipping for me so I'll receive the box within 3-5 business days.

Thanks,

Jason

Official Employee

Probably not because it’s considered an upgrade. HD box to DVR.

New Poster

So I used the "CONTACT US" link on the post...made the call and asked for a 4k box. I was told they were not available yet. I asked how my friend got one...and got the reply I needed to check with my local office.  So i used the "CHAT" feature and gave the exact service center i would go to, and was told yes they have them and i could go pick one up. The chatter even asked me to wait 2-3 minutes while they called that store to check availability! So i went to the Hillsboro Oregon store and was told no, they dont have those and the only way i can get one is to have a tech come out to do it...BUT HE DIDNT OFFER TO GIVE ME THAT OPTION...JUST SAID SORRY WE DONT HAVE THOSE....AND i brought in all the equipmet at that time to trade out!

SO i guess i wont be getting a new box...just look at cancelling my service and get a new provider who has 4k options. Pretty frustrating i spent so much time to find out no one really knows about 4k options at comcast.

Silver Problem Solver

bells4ever wrote:

So I used the "CONTACT US" link on the post...made the call and asked for a 4k box. I was told they were not available yet. I asked how my friend got one...and got the reply I needed to check with my local office.  So i used the "CHAT" feature and gave the exact service center i would go to, and was told yes they have them and i could go pick one up. The chatter even asked me to wait 2-3 minutes while they called that store to check availability! So i went to the Hillsboro Oregon store and was told no, they dont have those and the only way i can get one is to have a tech come out to do it...BUT HE DIDNT OFFER TO GIVE ME THAT OPTION...JUST SAID SORRY WE DONT HAVE THOSE....AND i brought in all the equipmet at that time to trade out!

SO i guess i wont be getting a new box...just look at cancelling my service and get a new provider who has 4k options. Pretty frustrating i spent so much time to find out no one really knows about 4k options at comcast.

Just an FYI:  I had better luck just call 1800comcast; I don't remember which option I chose (maybe agent).  I was told that they WERE available in my market and they sent one to me and I sent my old DVR back in the box it came with.  I got an email when the box was shipped and another email when they had processed the return.

New Poster

RobertWy wrote:

bells4ever wrote:

Just an FYI:  I had better luck just call 1800comcast; I don't remember which option I chose (maybe agent).  I was told that they WERE available in my market and they sent one to me and I sent my old DVR back in the box it came with.  I got an email when the box was shipped and another email when they had processed the return.

Same here. ! called Comcast to order the box and was told that there wern't any at my local store, but was told there were plenty at one a little farther away. I went and stood in line to be told that they don't have any and didn't have any idea of a 4K box.

I got on the phone in the parking lot and called Comcast. Got a "tech" on the phone and had one sent to me for $15 shipping. 

3 days later, voila! New box, and pre-paid shipping back to Comcast.

I'm now enjoying what appears to be a significantly better picture. Quicker overall menu system, and of course Netflix in 4K!

Regular Visitor

Can you order me the new xfinity 4k box?

New Poster

Re: Netflix 4K UHD on X1?

You have to install the new XG1V4 cable box to achieve 4k quality.  Not available yet in all areas.

Regular Contributor

Re: Netflix 4K UHD on X1?

I have all of these but Netflix no longer shows a 4k option on this box. Any help ?
Regular Contributor

I meet all of these requirements. Everything was working fine until a few days ago when I no longer get Netflix in 4k options.
Regular Contributor

Me too. It did work until recently
Regular Contributor

Ok I went into Netflix and reloaded it in settings. Showing 4k again
Regular Contributor

Also just a heads up. Looks like anytime the cable box goes into energy saving mode I need to reload Netflix to get 4k when I turn the box back on .
Regular Visitor

I just recieved the new xg1v4 box on a samsung UHD TV with Netflix premium UHD.  the new box brings up netflix, but all Netflix Original titles are listed as HD, not UHD.  Plays in HD only.  Is netflix not piping UHD versions of thier Original movies thru Xfiniity?  Is anyone getting UHD 4K movies from the xg1v4 box?