Community Forum

NHL Center Ice HD Beta Trial (X1) - 2018/2019 Season

New Poster

Re: 2018/2019 NHL Center Ice Package

This is my situation also (except I have not scheduled a tech visit).  I AM HOPING the error message disappears after the free trial and the games will then be available on the HD Beta...

Regular Visitor

Same boat here in Philadelphia. "Somethings not quite right" Comcast any solution yet?

Official Employee

Re: Status of "NHL Center Ice" for 2018-2019 season - (Date we can order / Cost / >1 HD

@davidisilb wrote:

Will the “HD Beta” package be available after the first week, like last year?

It doesn’t seem to be available in a Glenview, IL 60025 now. 

Yes, the NHL Center Ice HD Beta is expected to be available this week for our X1 customers. Thanks for your patience. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: NHL Center Ice HD Beta Trial (X1) - 2018/2019 Season

@Malty55 wrote:
Is this available during the free preview ? I have X1, and HD service, but have not bought center ice yet because I want to be sure of the HD quality

The NHL Center Ice HD Beta is expected to be available this week for our X1 customers. Thanks for your patience.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

@IceQueenSunday wrote:
Is the HD beta selection going to be a part of center ice again this year?

Yes, the NHL Center Ice HD Beta is expected to be available this week for our X1 customers. Thanks for your patience.

Official Employee

@micalkins wrote:

I just purchased the package and found the info on the HD (I was very disappointed as last year when I was on FIOS, I had them all on HD).  I could not find the beta listing on the guide, but could access it through speaking "NHL Center Ice HD Beta" in the remote.  That said, when going to a team and trying to get to a game, I get the error message "Something's not quite right".  They tried fixing this but now have a tech coming out next week.

The NHL Center Ice HD Beta is expected to be available this week for our X1 customers. Thanks for your patience.

Regular Visitor

All good in Philadelphia, Thanks Ted! Works perfectly!

Frequent Visitor

Beta is still not working for me.  Do I need to call for service?

Regular Contributor

@cky27 wrote:

have you purchased the CI package?

Frequent Visitor

Seems to work in GLENVIEW, IL.
Official Employee

@cky27 wrote:

Apologies. I do see NHL Center Ice on your account. Can you provide some additional information about the broken experience that you are having? You can do that here or send me a PM (Private Message) with details. 

You can click on my name  on the upper left of this post (ComcastTeds) and go to the upper right link that says ”Send Me a Message”

Near the top/middle of each Forum page you will see a small envelope

This is the icon for Private Messages, referred to as ‘PM’s’. A Private Message is a way to communicate in private, to another User, Moderator, or Administrator out of public view in the Forums.

The envelope icon will have a number next to it if you have any new messages waiting.

To open a PM to read it, double click on the envelope. If you click on the envelope a window will open with tabs for your Private Message Inbox, Sent Messages, Friends, Ignored Users, and Compose new Message. You can also access this area by clicking on the Username in a Thread or post. By default, Private Messages are enabled.

New Poster

So what about NHL Center Ice - the actual package? I've been told on the phone that only certain channels of the NHL Center Ice lineup are in HD. 

Eg, the game I'm watching tonight is on NHL Center Ice channel 4 - which is SD. 

I was lead to believe that my package would be in HD. 

Why is channel 4 not in HD? And why only 5-8 in HD?

Thanks. 

Official Employee

@papelr13 wrote:

So what about NHL Center Ice - the actual package? I've been told on the phone that only certain channels of the NHL Center Ice lineup are in HD. 

Thanks. 

Apologies for any confusion we may have caused. 

In your area, the NHL Center Ice sports package is available in SD on linear channels 771 through 784.  Channels 789 and 790 are linear HD channel where NHL Center Ice games are also available. 

On our X1 platform, all of the NHL Center Ice games are delivered in HD via the NHL Center Ice HD (Beta) - details below on how you can view those HD games.      

The NHL Center Ice HD (Beta) channel is the first NHL Center Ice listing in the X1 guide above the current NHL Center Ice SD channels.

Selecting NHL Center Ice HD (Beta) from the X1 guide launches the NHL Center Ice HD (Beta) Collection page with 30 NHL team logos organized by conference.

The NHL Center Ice HD live game will play once verification of NHL Center Ice subscription and blackouts are complete and successful.

The game announcers will be based on the team selected. Example: The Philadelphia Flyers are playing the Boston Bruins. If you select the Philadelphia Flyers logo tile, the game will be shown with Flyers announcers. If the customer selects the Boston Bruins logo tile, the game will be shown with Bruins announcers.

X1 customers can search for 'NHL Center Ice HD' and will be presented with the NHL Center Ice Collection page, which displays 30 NHL team logos organized by conference.

X1 customers can also continue to search for a specific team where the team’s live HD game will be available by selecting the NHL Center Ice HD (Beta) tile on the Team page.

Regular Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@papelr13 wrote:

Thanks. 

In your area, the NHL Center Ice sports package is available in SD on linear channels 771 through 784.  Channels 789 and 790 are linear HD channel where NHL Center Ice games are also available. 

On our X1 platform, all of the NHL Center Ice games are delivered in HD via the NHL Center Ice HD (Beta) - details below on how you can view those HD games.      

The NHL Center Ice HD (Beta) channel is the first NHL Center Ice listing in the X1 guide above the current NHL Center Ice SD channels.

Selecting NHL Center Ice HD (Beta) from the X1 guide launches the NHL Center Ice HD (Beta) Collection page with 30 NHL team logos organized by conference.

The NHL Center Ice HD live game will play once verification of NHL Center Ice subscription and blackouts are complete and successful.

The game announcers will be based on the team selected. Example: The Philadelphia Flyers are playing the Boston Bruins. If you select the Philadelphia Flyers logo tile, the game will be shown with Flyers announcers. If the customer selects the Boston Bruins logo tile, the game will be shown with Bruins announcers.

X1 customers can search for 'NHL Center Ice HD' and will be presented with the NHL Center Ice Collection page, which displays 30 NHL team logos organized by conference.

X1 customers can also continue to search for a specific team where the team’s live HD game will be available by selecting the NHL Center Ice HD (Beta) tile on the Team page.

the HD channels (at least in my area) are 769 and 770....

For what its worth, the (HD game 2) 770 channel on the guide NEVER lists the game, it just has 1/2 hour blocks of "NHL center ice" even when there is a game going on.  I also noticed this during baseball season, even though I don't subscribe to the baseball package

This also affects the auto tune to HD and other search functions within X1

You may want to look into that for zip code 48185

In summation, the ONLY thing you cannot do is record games in HD if they are not on one of the 2 HD channels (or whatever HD channels you may have access to (I do think that number should be MUCH higher)

1) can you pause (YES- just like any other channel)

2) can you rewind/FF (YES- just like any other channel)

3) can you record for viewing at a later time (YES- whatever linear channels with channel number are available in your area)

Official Employee

@billmich88888 wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@papelr13 wrote:

Thanks. 

the HD channels (at least in my area) are 769 and 770....

For what its worth, the (HD game 2) 770 channel on the guide NEVER lists the game, it just has 1/2 hour blocks of "NHL center ice" even when there is a game going on.  I also noticed this during baseball season, even though I don't subscribe to the baseball package

In summation, the ONLY thing you cannot do is record games in HD if they are not on one of the 2 HD channels (or whatever HD channels you may have access to (I do think that number should be MUCH higher)

1) can you pause (YES- just like any other channel)

2) can you rewind/FF (YES- just like any other channel)

3) can you record for viewing at a later time (YES- whatever linear channels with channel number are available in your area)

Thanks for the addition above. And yes, channel lineups and channel numbers can vary by area.

Apologies for the guide data issue on channel 770, I am having our teams look into that next to see what's happening there. Thanks for letting me know about that and thanks for your patience. 

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for responding, but I figured it out myself.  I don't know if this will help anybody else, but once I did a system refresh, it worked fine.

Frequent Visitor

All working well here.

But -

This is at least the third year for this HD Beta process.

When do they plan on just make HD the normal way to get NHL CI?
New Poster

NHL Center Ice HD

I just ordered NHL Center Ice and only one channel is in HD, according to the representative this is correct that the other NHL games will be in SD unless the provider broadcasts in HD. This doesn’t make sense as all of the games are transmitted in HD locally. We qualify for the BETA test but was told that didn’t matter. Is it possible to get all of the games in HD? Any help would be appreciated?
New Poster

NHL Center Ice in HD?

Can someone please tell me if the Center Ice games are all broadcast in HD with xfinity? Comcast customer service has no qlue what Center Ice even is! It worked in Fios but I gather from the various internet chats it isn't a given with xfinity. I do have an x1 box.  Thanks!

Tags (1)
New Poster

Re: NHL Center Ice HD

Customer service just told me the games would be in HD if I ordered Center Ice. I don't believe them!

This wasn't as complicated when I had Fios.

Frequent Visitor

Maybe I can help. Do you have a voice remote? If so, hold down the voice button and say NHL Beta. Hopefully it will bring up the NHL icons for each team. If so, just arrow around to the team you want to watch if they are playing. Of course you are subject to blackout for the Team that is in your city and the apposing team icon will also black you out. Good luck

Frequent Visitor

Maybe I can help. Do you have a voice remote? If so, hold down the voice button and say NHL Beta. Hopefully it will bring up the NHL icons for each team. If so, just arrow around to the team you want to watch if they are playing. Of course you are subject to blackout for the Team that is in your city and the apposing team icon will also black you out.

Frequent Visitor

I agree that getting rid of more SD channels is the answer for Comcast/Xfinity to add more traditional HD Sports channels. Right now they do not have the bandwidth. The problem is that there are still millions of customers that still only have SD TV. They do not have HD capability. And there are rules to also carry so many non-english channels that it takes up bandwidth also that would allow for mor HD channels. If you have an X1 box and order the package, it will have all the SD game channels and only 2 HD channels. But you will get the BETA package automatically. Look for the NHL Beta icon on the guide data just before the SD channel listings for NHL. Of course you still will get blacked out for home teams and there apposing team. Its like that with ALL providers... Good luck

Frequent Visitor

Yes. I have it.

Frequent Visitor

A tech can't fix that. It wasn't available until a few days ago because of negotiations. Keep calling to find someone who can authorized it for you. They've got the "rate codes" messed up. Tell them that.

Frequent Visitor

I'm in Higlands Ranch and all the Beta channels are working. HOpefully it's working now. If not, keep calling them. Make sure they have your SD and 2 HD channels working.

Regular Contributor

@pettero wrote:

I agree that getting rid of more SD channels is the answer for Comcast/Xfinity to add more traditional HD Sports channels. Right now they do not have the bandwidth. The problem is that there are still millions of customers that still only have SD TV. They do not have HD capability. And there are rules to also carry so many non-english channels that it takes up bandwidth also that would allow for mor HD channels. If you have an X1 box and order the package, it will have all the SD game channels and only 2 HD channels. But you will get the BETA package automatically. Look for the NHL Beta icon on the guide data just before the SD channel listings for NHL. Of course you still will get blacked out for home teams and there apposing team. Its like that with ALL providers... Good luck

you can still get rid of all the SD channels, 

the "millions of people" with SD only would tune into the HD channel, and the box would "down-rez" the resolution so these people can watch on the old tube tv's

issue solved

Silver Problem Solver

@billmich88888 wrote:

@pettero wrote:

the "millions of people" with SD only would tune into the HD channel, and the box would "down-rez" the resolution so these people can watch on the old tube tv's

issue solved

Hmm.  I have found content on SD channels that I could not find in HD.  I keep my SD chanels.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

@jpichola wrote:
I just ordered NHL Center Ice and only one channel is in HD, according to the representative this is correct that the other NHL games will be in SD unless the provider broadcasts in HD. This doesn’t make sense as all of the games are transmitted in HD locally. We qualify for the BETA test but was told that didn’t matter. Is it possible to get all of the games in HD? Any help would be appreciated?

Regular Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

@billmich88888 wrote:

@pettero wrote:

issue solved

Hmm.  I have found content on SD channels that I could not find in HD.  I keep my SD chanels.

let me rephrase, get rid of ALL SD channels when it is also available in HD.

'SD ONLY' channels you would keep

Frequent Visitor

I hear ya billmich88888. Maybe I should have been clearer also. When I said that there are still millions fo SD customers out there, I meant that they have to keep many of the SD channels EVEN though they are available in HD, because those millions of customers cannot get the HD version of the SD channels that are duplicated. If you got rid of HBO E SD, or PBS E SD version even though they are also available in HD format, those millions of customers would lose out, because they can't get any HD channels. They only have an SD settop box. They can't afford HD. I hope that clear up my thoughts.

Regular Contributor

@pettero wrote:

I hear ya billmich88888. Maybe I should have been clearer also. When I said that there are still millions fo SD customers out there, I meant that they have to keep many of the SD channels EVEN though they are available in HD, because those millions of customers cannot get the HD version of the SD channels that are duplicated. If you got rid of HBO E SD, or PBS E SD version even though they are also available in HD format, those millions of customers would lose out, because they can't get any HD channels. They only have an SD settop box. They can't afford HD. I hope that clear up my thoughts.

The current  boxes can be down-rezzed to 480i (SD) and also have RF and composite video connection outputs.

These people **might** need to swap out equipment to the current HD boxes (they would NOT have to subscribe to the HD package , obviously) 

They would tune to the HD channels and watch them in SD on their SD sets.

Official Employee

@billmich88888 wrote:

Just to circle back on this part - I spoke with our Michigan team and our guide data team directly on this - we are aware of the issue, we have identified the fix and are coordinating plans to correct it. I should have more info on timing next week.  Thanks for your patience. 

New Poster

Thank you, I will try that
New Poster

You say the inability to record games in HD is a temporary situation. When will it be resolved?
Frequent Visitor

Recording might be available this spring for MLB season. There are teams of engineers/programmers working on writing new code to do this. And each team should have their own channel number by then also on the guide data. That is part of the hurdle.

Regular Contributor

issue on saturday 10/13.

Was watching the Pittsburgh Penguis game on the Beta feature.

At the end of regulation, the score was tied and the 'channel' cut away to the listing of the games, never to return to action.

Had to tune into "Game 3" (773) to watch the overtime and shootout (IN SD)

Was someone asleep at the switch? The game certainly wasn't 'running long'.

The feed wasn't the issue because the channel 773 (SD) feed that I watched the OT and SO was the same Pittsburgh feed I had been watching all game long.

What went wrong there...?

Official Employee

@billmich88888 wrote:

issue on saturday 10/13.

At the end of regulation, the score was tied and the 'channel' cut away to the listing of the games, never to return to action.

The feed wasn't the issue because the channel 773 (SD) feed that I watched the OT and SO was the same Pittsburgh feed I had been watching all game long.

Apologies. Checking with our NHL Center  Ice team now.  

Regular Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@billmich88888 wrote:

issue on saturday 10/13.

thank you, please let me know if you need any additional information, and what it is that they said

Regular Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@billmich88888 wrote:

issue on saturday 10/13.

do you have an answer of what happened on Saturday?

Official Employee

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@billmich88888 wrote:

Just to circle back on this part - I spoke with our Michigan team and our guide data team directly on this - we are aware of the issue, we have identified the fix and are coordinating plans to correct it. I should have more info on timing next week.  Thanks for your patience. 

Apologies for the delay, I am told that this should now be corrected for your area. Please review and let me know. Thanks for your patience.   

New Poster

on the HD Beta you can pause for up to 90 minutes just like watching live tv, FF & RW but no recording.  I use it to put the kids to bed, start watching a bit later, then you can FF commercials and intermissions, takes 2 hrs to watch a whole game.

Official Employee

@billmich88888 wrote:

do you have an answer of what happened on Saturday?

Apologies for the delay. Yes, I did get a detailed explanation from our team on what happened. 

Long story short, this was a one-time human error and steps have been taken to prevent further issues like this.

Regular Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@billmich88888 wrote:

Apologies for the delay, I am told that this should now be corrected for your area. Please review and let me know. Thanks for your patience.   

the guide issue with my channel 770 has been fixed.

and thank you for answering about that game being switched off...that made me so angry that I wanted a partial refund of my purchase.....

Frequent Visitor

Re: NHL Center Ice HD Beta

xfinity is trying to drive us nuts! I have called too many time to count! first off I could not get any center ice HD games. I called customer service and they didn't know anything until I mention that I had read on the internet, that center ice was in beta. They looked it up and said you are right! Wow the customer is right? They directed me to center ice beta hd and wow, a hockey game in hd.

Pain in the but logos, that you have to figure out, who is playing. Still no hd games on the box and the only way to get the beta program is to tell it to your remote.

Ok now I was ready to watch a game on a different night and spoke the magic words; center ice beta hd and no program, I tried every conceivable way to say it,no show. Called customer service again,guess what, we have a new magic word, nhl beta hd, wow!

So I also asked if xfinity was going to link up with NHL.com so you can stream games and guess what, they can't,Verizon,direct TV and ten others can but not Comcast and they own some of it

New Poster

When I try to watch an HD game based on the guidance you provided it says: "This Requires a Subscription."

But I have a subscription... And I watched an HD game last week... Please help.

Frequent Visitor

Happened to me last week - I restarted my cable box - fixed it.
Frequent Visitor

Ya, I've heard that sometimes restarting the box helps get the subscription back. And yes the easiest way to get to the BETA channels is just to say NHL Beta into the remote. It takes me there everytime. If it's working correctly, you can choose any team badge that is not playing and it will give a you slate with all of the games listed for that day. They should have the game streams broken out into channels by the beginning of the next MLB season this spring. Also, I can get to the Beta "channel icon" in my guide data by going to the first SD Game channel when you have the guide data pulled up (461 in Denver) and it's right above it. That's if you don't want to use the voice command.

Frequent Visitor

Who wants to wait till next spring? If they can't get their act together by then,we should get a full refund for being guinea pigs!

NHL TV on NHL.COM, lets you get the streaming(NHL.TV) of all games,by your Center Ice purchase(,but not with Comcast)! So if you have a blackout of your team, you will be able to watch it 48 hours latter on NHL TV.

OH! by the way,direct TV gives you the NHL channel for free with Center Ice!

Regular Contributor

Sounds like you should switch to DirecTV, they have everything that you need in regards to NHL hockey.

Where would it say in any contract agreement that there would be a refund? What part of Comcast's part of the deal was breached by them? I would love to see where that is in case I would like a refund down the road.

Where i am, DirecTV doesn't carry CBC, and as a hockey fan, that's a MUST have.

Good luck with your switch