Community Forum

NHL Center Ice HD Beta Trial (X1) - 2018/2019 Season

New Poster

Re: 2018/2019 NHL Center Ice Package

<Edited for violating forum guidelines>

What a ridiculous response. I live on the east coast but I am a big fan of west coast hockey. So games don’t start until 10 pm or 11 pm eastern. It doesn’t mean I am any less of a fan because I choose to watch the next day and not live. 🙄

New Poster

Re: Status of "NHL Center Ice" for 2018-2019 season - (Date we can order / Cost / >1 HD

Don't be so hard on whomever answer the phone for ComCast/Xfinity.

<edited for violating forum guidelines> 

Regular Contributor

Re: Status of "NHL Center Ice" for 2018-2019 season - (Date we can order / Cost / >1 HD

@billmich88888 wrote:

I'm calling on Monday.

<Edited for violating forum guidelines> 

I just had a chat with one of the online reps, although I have a feeling it's ELIZA (a generic name for an app that reads what I type in and tries to work out an automated response).  I got the same "Call back on Wednesday (October 3)" message that appears online.  I have a feeling that calls on Monday and Tuesday are only going to get the same response.

This is strange, as this usually means they're in some sort of negotiations, but Comcast is the parent of NBC, which has broadcast rights to the NHL, including the Stanley Cup, so you would think they could cut a deal quickly.

Official Employee

Hello All, 

I can understand why it's frustrating not to be able to record the Games. I live on the West Coast, and barely get to see any of the Red Wings games because of my work schedule and other life responsibilities. Unfortunately, during the NHL Center Ice Beta, DVR recording functionality will not be available. This is a temporary experience for our customers. We are working on improving this experience and hope to provide this functionality in the near future.

Games broadcast in SD will not have the same restrictions and can be recorded via your Xfinity DVR. 

We apologize for this inconvenience that may cause. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

@ComcastChe wrote:

Hello All, 

I can understand why it's frustrating not to be able to record the Games. I live on the West Coast, and barely get to see any of the Red Wings games because of my work schedule and other life responsibilities. Unfortunately, during the NHL Center Ice Beta, DVR recording functionality will not be available. This is a temporary experience for our customers. We are working on improving this experience and hope to provide this functionality in the near future.

Games broadcast in SD will not have the same restrictions and can be recorded via your Xfinity DVR. 

We apologize for this inconvenience that may cause. 

That doesn't make any sense. Dish and DirectTv allow you to record NHL center ice games. Have for years. If you can't do it on comcast, that's on you all. 

Official Employee

Yes, they may have the option to do so, we don't. We are working on improving this experience in the near future. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

@ComcastChe wrote:

Yes, they may have the option to do so, we don't. We are working on improving this experience in the near future. 

Sounds like NHL.TV is the answer then for those of us that want the ability to watch games whenever we want. <edited for violating forum guidelines> 

New Poster

What are you talking about - "not being able to record the games"?  Has there been some official announcement that Comcast is no longer offering the Center Ice package on Television? Are you suggesting that NHL Center Ice will only be available as a live stream now? I looked back through this entire thread but don't see any links to an announcment, press release or any details related to your suggested paradigm shift away from broadcast technology. It's all conjecture and speculation -- but you appear to be a representative of Comcast so your obscure comments about DVR recording being unavailable this year are a great concern to me. I simply cannot watch live games. Our family schedules would not allow it. Being forced to watch live coverage would be like rolling back the clock ten years. And to pay hard-earned money for the privilege of not being able to time shift and record the broadcast? This makes no sense. Please reply with a link to an official notice or announcment. Thank you. 

New Poster

@kevinalex01 wrote:

What are you talking about - "not being able to record the games"?  Has there been some official announcement that Comcast is no longer offering the Center Ice package on Television? Are you suggesting that NHL Center Ice will only be available as a live stream now? I looked back through this entire thread but don't see any links to an announcment, press release or any details related to your suggested paradigm shift away from broadcast technology. It's all conjecture and speculation -- but you appear to be a representative of Comcast so your obscure comments about DVR recording being unavailable this year are a great concern to me. I simply cannot watch live games. Our family schedules would not allow it. Being forced to watch live coverage would be like rolling back the clock ten years. And to pay hard-earned money for the privilege of not being able to time shift and record the broadcast? This makes no sense. Please reply with a link to an official notice or announcment. Thank you. 

Hi.

So this is my understanding. There is regular Center Ice on Comcast which DOES allow for standard DVR operations, but for some reason most games are SD only. There is ALSO some NHL Center Ice HD Beta thing that apparently has been in beta for going on three seasons... My understanding for that is that you can't record those games and perhaps can't do other DVR functions. <edited for violating forum guidelines>. And, of course, their Center Ice web page just says they are having problems and check back on Oct 3rd for more info. It's really incredible honestly. Makes me sad I just signed a two year contract with them. But I guess there is always the NHL.Tv streaming package. I'm in the same boat as you as far as being able to watch live games. Most people with families and a life are, I'd wager.

Official Employee

All - 

The record functionality is currently not supported for NHL Center Ice HD games with the NHL Center Ice HD Beta Trial. 

NHL Center Ice is available in HD on the GAMEHD and GAMEHD2 channels. These channels may not be available in all areas.

New Poster

@ComcastAlly wrote:

All - 

The record functionality is currently not supported for NHL Center Ice HD games with the NHL Center Ice HD Beta Trial. 

NHL Center Ice is available in HD on the GAMEHD and GAMEHD2 channels. These channels may not be available in all areas.

as.

So basically there is no point in getting Center Ice from you all since this is 2018 and people don't want to watch terrible SD feeds.

Official Employee

gdodd12 - 

I will be happy to submit your feedback regarding the HD and DVR availability with NHL Center Ice to hopefully get this added in the future. 

Regular Contributor

I never heard of a "trial" lasting 3 years!

Official Employee

Hey tbill1, 

Let us know if you have any other issues or concerns. 

Frequent Visitor

Anyone have an update on this?

Regular Contributor

how about offering 9 HD channels for Center Ice like Spectrum does for the suburb next to mine.

2 is not sufficient

New Poster

@ComcastChe wrote:

Hey tbill1, 

Let us know if you have any other issues or concerns. 

There has to be someone at comcast that knows why you all only have two HD channels for Center Ice when literally EVERY OTHER provider in this country offers more. There also has to be someone that knows why the HD beta is still beta after three years.

New Poster

I just called and was told not until Oct 10th
Regular Contributor

There is a FREE preview of NHL Center Ice from today until October 9th

The 10th is when we can order and would be the first day of "behind the paywall" games.

Why we can't order ahead of time baffles me. 

Wll everyone on 'free preview' be able to utilize the HD Beta, or is it in garbage SD only?

I hope this information is helpful to others

Regular Contributor

There is a FREE preview of NHL Center Ice from today until October 9th

The 10th is when we can order and would be the first day of "behind the paywall" games.

Why we can't order ahead of time baffles me. 

Wll everyone on 'free preview' be able to utilize the HD Beta, or is it in garbage SD only?

I hope this information is helpful to 

Regular Contributor

I was able to order the package today via a representative on Facebook messenger.

The 'portal" opened up just today for that

New Poster

With 90% of the games in SD, it's a giant waste of money. Just gonna do Nhl.TV

Regular Contributor

Actually, every game I saw last year was in HD and I had my choice of announcers and team feeds too..

New Poster

According to the schedule most games this week area SD.
Regular Contributor

they're all in HD on the beta portal

all of them

New Poster

Again though, the beta channels have no DVR functions which don't work for most people as has been noted in this thread by many people. That's basically of no value for most people with families and jobs and what not.

Administrator

@kevinalex01 wrote:

What is the status of the InDemand "NHL Center Ice" programming for the 2018-2019 hockey season. In other words:

• When can we order it? - (Xfinity website used to say call in September. So I did - twice. Today is says to "call or visit the website on October 3rd for updates". Updates? Really?  The 2018-2019 NHL season begins on October 3rd so isn't it time to get this done?
    • What packages are available at what cost?
    • What payment terms are you ofering this year? - (EX: Four equal payments on bill? Six equal payments, etc...)
    • Will all of the games be available in HIgh Definition this year? (Last year there was only one HD Channel available, [Game 1 - Channel 712], but now that you've added all of those new 4 digit channels will you finally offer the CenterIce hockey games in HD like DISH and DirecTV do)? I surely hope so. 

Please get this deal done and put the facts on the table for your loyal customers. 

Thank you.

@kevinalex01,

Thank you for posting your question here in the Xfinity Forum. Ordering for NHL Center Ice begins today Wednesday, October 3rd 2018. You can add the package directly through your Xfinity TV box, by managing your account online, or by contacting us via more traditional methods outlined here: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/My-Account/ANSWERED-How-to-contact-Comcast/ta-p/3053370

Pricing
The 2018-2019 season begins Wednesday, Oct. 3, 2018. Customers will receive the package from the date of sale through the conclusion of the Race to the Stanley Cup offer.
Package Offer Dates Price
Early Bird Orders from Oct. 3 to Oct. 31, 2018 $132.99 (or four installments of $33.25)
Regular Season Orders from Nov. 1 to Dec. 31, 2018 $139.99 (or four installments of $35)
Half Season Orders from Jan. 1 to Feb. 17, 2019 $99 (or four installments of $25)
Race for the Cup Orders from Feb. 18 to April 6, 2019 $49.99 (or two installments of $25)

Free Preview Information
Comcast will be offering the NHL Center Ice package as a free preview to customers with a digital converter (where available) during the following dates:
  • Early Bird: Oct. 3 - 9, 2018
  • Half: Dec. 24 - 31, 2018

HD Games
The GAMEHD and GAMEHD2 channels will offer HD games throughout the season for the NHL Center Ice package. HD carriage varies by system. Please check with your system to confirm availability.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks.

Regular Contributor

well the GAMES are in HD, 

DVR functionality doesn't work with those beta channels, although it does work with the two (should be a lot higher) HD channels they have for CI

I would state that most people don't need to record the games, obviously, you do. I will state from last years experience that you CAN pause the game on beta.

Obviously, you need to do what's best for you. But I have had this package in the past, and you have not. It may not be your best option

New Poster

Is the beta available if you do not have the X1 package? I think I have an x1 box but not the package.

Also, does nhl tv come with nhl center ice for xfinity? I know it does with directv. Thanks!
Regular Contributor

you have to BUY the package to have access to the out of market games

Official Employee

Hello, 

In regards to the option to record games, this is not available in the HD Beta and is a temporary experience for our customers. We are working on improving this experience and hope to provide this functionality in the near future.

You can record SD NHL games and HD games that are not part of the HD Beta if you have an Xfinity DVR

Frequent Visitor

Sir.  The lack of being able to record games is costing you a Center Ice customer in the short term, and maybe a customer overall in the long term.  The answer (if it is accurate, because that has been a problem of late) to my questions may save you a customer.  I have been told that NHL games are available on demand after original airing in HD.  Is this true?  If so, are ALL games (other than those that would not have been available anyway) available?  And what is the turnaround time, because NHL TV makes them available 24 hours after completion.  Also, previous posts seem to state that some HD games may be recordable.  Is that accurate?

Frequent Visitor

Will the “HD Beta” package be available after the first week, like last year?

It doesn’t seem to be available in a Glenview, IL 60025 now. 

Frequent Visitor

OK, is anybody as confused as I am?  I was just able to record a live HD game without a problem, despite being told that I couldn't (and being told almost simultaneously that I could).  I have the X1 box.   CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE CLEAR THIS UP??????????????  (i do not need to record for use to any non TV devices, is this the difference?)

Regular Contributor

here is what I know.

You can record any games that are on a "channel number"

Last night there were 2 games and in my area there are 2 HD game slots (this number should be higher, but it is what it is) so both games could be recorded in HD, or in SD

What you cannot record are games you access through the NHL center ice beta program. Which may not be up and running until after the free preview is over

Regular Contributor

Here is something about the package that I believe is a legitimate issue in 2018.

In addition to 2 HD channels in center ice not being enough, (seriously, the cable provider next to me (spectrum) has NINE.)

At the very least, zoom in the SD channels so they fill out entire tv screen. 

No one watches TV on a 4;3 aspect ratio screen anymore, everything is 16:9. This can very easily be accomplished on your head end.

Since the X1 boxes do not have a "native mode" you have to manually down rez your box to 480i in order to properly zoom the picture to fill the entire screen. Most display devices will not properly zoom a letterboxed image if the output is 720p/1080i/1080p.

If bandwidth is an issue in not adding HD channels to these packages, then Comcast should seriously consider eliminating ALL channels that are in SD (other than other that are SD only).

That would clear up bandwidth.

New Poster

Re: NHL Center Ice HD Beta Trial (X1) - 2018/2019 Season

Is this available during the free preview ? I have X1, and HD service, but have not bought center ice yet because I want to be sure of the HD quality
Regular Contributor

the HD quality can be checked out on the 2 HD game channels that they have ( I can vouch that the beta HD quality= those linear channels HD quality)

New Poster

In my area there are 2 HD Beta channels and 8 or 9 'Center Ice' regular channels.  In the past the regular channels usually carry the HD feed but occasionally I would get one with an SD feed.  The regular channels can be DVR'ed the 2 HD Beta channels can not.  I suspect the issue with the HDBeta  has to do with selecting the feed once you are in the channel as opposed to having a dedicated channel for each feed, but that is my guess.  

Frequent Visitor

It's becoming more apparent that new technology should be kept far away from old geezers like me.

New Poster

Where did the beta page go? It used to be above 712 but now it's gone.
New Poster

Is the HD beta selection going to be a part of center ice again this year?
Frequent Visitor

Does this mean beta isn't working for anyone?

Frequent Visitor

Not working for me.

But IIRC, I don’t think they tirned it on until after the free trial period last year.
Regular Contributor

@davidisilb wrote:
Not working for me.

But IIRC, I don’t think they tirned it on until after the free trial period last year.

CORRECT

New Poster

I just purchased the package and found the info on the HD (I was very disappointed as last year when I was on FIOS, I had them all on HD).  I could not find the beta listing on the guide, but could access it through speaking "NHL Center Ice HD Beta" in the remote.  That said, when going to a team and trying to get to a game, I get the error message "Something's not quite right".  They tried fixing this but now have a tech coming out next week.

New Poster

I'm paying for NHL Center Ice Package and most of the games are not in HD.  I used to have Directv and all the games are in HD.  What's the problem?  I want this fixed!!

Regular Contributor

I don 't know if it is relevant..but may be worth a try.  I remember the HD beta "channel"  didn't come up once the MLB season started.  By doing a restart on the box, it then came on.

New Poster

As of 10/6/18, the HD functionality beyond channels 635 and 636 is not working. The beta channel is not listed on the channel guide above channel 621 as it was last year and the voice command takes you directly to channel 636. If I’m going to pay for a full season of HD coverage, I would expect that xfinity would be able to deliver the service for a full season. Please get your act together.
New Poster

Hello, 

I have purchased the NHL Center Ice package (last Thursday) and have not been able to access HD for either of the STL Blues games.  I have the X1 box and HD service.  I follow the instructions to find the "NHL Center Ice HD Beta" and navifgate to the STL Blues area, select and then get an error message something like "Something is not right, please check back later".  Can someone please help?  I am in Fort Collins, CO.  Thanks-