Community Forum

My tv picture is too big for my screen

New Poster

My tv picture is too big for my screen

The picture on my Vizio TV is too large for the TV screen. How do I make it fit?

Official Employee

Re: My tv picture is too big for my screen

ethan20034 wrote:

The picture on my Vizio TV is too large for the TV screen. How do I make it fit?

Use your tv (not Comcast) remote and adjust format/picture size, you probably have it set for zoom

Regular Contributor

There is also a zoom in the X1 settings menu.  Make sure that is off too.

New Poster

Thank You!!!

New Poster

I did this and my Tv won't save on Nirmal just Wide
Silver Problem Solver

susancrossan wrote:
I did this and my Tv won't save on Nirmal just Wide

Do you have an SD TV?  Or maybe you are trying to use a computer monitor as a TV?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

I have comcast and the picture is on zoom. I can't get it changed. I used the Comcast remote but the zoom button does not work. Help!!
Gold Problem Solver

Grab your TV's remote and use the "Apsect" or "Picture Size" button the correct the issue. This is a TV setting issue.

Jweiner468 wrote:
I have comcast and the picture is on zoom. I can't get it changed. I used the Comcast remote but the zoom button does not work. Help!!

New Poster

I had the same problem and the tv was on zoom.  Thank you!! Smiley Happy

New Poster

The picture is too large on our Sony TVs ( 6 of them) but fine on the one Toshiiba, which has a square screen. We tried to adjust the picture on both the cable and tv remotes, nothing helped. We did not have this problem until recently. Could it be something in the cable signal???
Silver Problem Solver

lisametts wrote:
The picture is too large on our Sony TVs ( 6 of them) but fine on the one Toshiiba, which has a square screen. We tried to adjust the picture on both the cable and tv remotes, nothing helped. We did not have this problem until recently. Could it be something in the cable signal???

https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/x1-video-display/

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

My picture too big for screen
New Poster

Having the same problem.
Silver Problem Solver

What screen resolution are you using in the X1 box and what is the model number of the X1 box?

New Poster

Mine picture is too big in my main TV and on my other brand TV after a system reset the picture got smaller. The picture aspect and zoom hasn’t changed it. I am afraid to ask for another fix as it may just get worse. I believe it’s the Xfinity as it’s clear when I did a reset on one of the TVs the picture got smaller on one and bigger on the other. I was told by Xfinity a next step technician would contact me, but never did. You are at their mercy!
Expert

@1OldGranny wrote:
Mine picture is too big in my main TV and on my other brand TV after a system reset the picture got smaller. The picture aspect and zoom hasn’t changed it. I am afraid to ask for another fix as it may just get worse. I believe it’s the Xfinity as it’s clear when I did a reset on one of the TVs the picture got smaller on one and bigger on the other. I was told by Xfinity a next step technician would contact me, but never did. You are at their mercy!

let's pick one TV/set top box and work through dianosis. some background. The TV receives the signal normally on the HDMI cable. is your TV a 1080p capable TV? If so, use the xfinity remote, press the Xfinity button >> gear(settings) >>  device settings >> and video output resolution. select either 720pHD or 1080p60 (best available) then hit exit. did that fix it? if not go to the TV remote and select menu. be sure teh setting for video is 16:9 1080p. the normal settings would be HD or Wide (no zoom on the TV setting itself).

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
New Poster

Thank you. I followed the web site and directions. Back to normal. Yeah!!

New Poster

How do I fix this?
Silver Problem Solver

Change the screen resolution in Settings.

New Poster

By "square screen" I assume you mean STDV.  I have one as well, and the recent cable box update 88.1.1 that was pushed out around 16-July-2018 caused a problem for me.  I went to Device Settings and it was already set to 480i.

I finally found that setting it to either 1080i or 1080p causes my 480i TV to display correctly.  Changing setting back to 480i causes the problem to return. 

So I finally left it at 1080.  I imagine it'll work until the next update.

New Poster

(Note the settings text is now hard to read on my old TV.  That seems to be the only thing that's actually scaled to 1080.  The picture and cable guide look fine.)

New Poster

I have a Panasonic Viera flat screen The picture is too big can’t change it would either remote
Silver Problem Solver

@Grrouchy1 wrote:
I have a Panasonic Viera flat screen The picture is too big can’t change it would either remote

Don't quite understand what you say.  Do you mean the TV doesn't have any screen size setting?

Are you using the HDMI cable?

The X1 has a Setting for screen settings.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-video-display

New Poster

Beginning Wednesday, July 18, I too have had the same experience on my old SD (4:3 480i)analog TV.  I use the SD Video Out and Audio Out connections from the cable box but found that the coax ouput operates identically.

Like others, the aspect ratio for the SD output from the box is now reversed from that indicated by the menu description; i.e. selecting an SD (4:3) output from the menu produces an HD (16:9) ouput to the TV which makes the picture appear to be a zoomed in view of the upper left quadrant of the picture from the selected channel. To get the desired 'normal' SD picture an HD (16:9) ouput needs to be selected from the settings menu.

Additionally, after 'Confirm'ing the change, it now seems to take about 10 seconds for the change to actually take place. Even worse is that the ouput to the TV may or may not actually change, but changing channels will force the ouput to theTV to change.

The display of the menu items correctly matches the aspect ratio indicated in the menu selection. Thus one now gets  HD menu displays with the desired SD channel display (or SD menu displays with the zoomed in HD channel display).

Silver Problem Solver

@gjlewon wrote:

Beginning Wednesday, July 18, I too have had the same experience on my old SD (4:3 480i)analog TV.  I use the SD Video Out and Audio Out connections from the cable box but found that the coax ouput operates identically.

Like others, the aspect ratio for the SD output from the box is now reversed from that indicated by the menu description; i.e. selecting an SD (4:3) output from the menu produces an HD (16:9) ouput to the TV which makes the picture appear to be a zoomed in view of the upper left quadrant of the picture from the selected channel. To get the desired 'normal' SD picture an HD (16:9) ouput needs to be selected from the settings menu.

Additionally, after 'Confirm'ing the change, it now seems to take about 10 seconds for the change to actually take place. Even worse is that the ouput to the TV may or may not actually change, but changing channels will force the ouput to theTV to change.

The display of the menu items correctly matches the aspect ratio indicated in the menu selection. Thus one now gets  HD menu displays with the desired SD channel display (or SD menu displays with the zoomed in HD channel display).

The thread starter was about a Vizio TV; maybe it would help if you started a new thread about an SD TV issue?