Community Forum

My new 4k TV makes cable programming look awful!

Regular Visitor

My new 4k TV makes cable programming look awful!

Hi! I saw a bunch of posts about comcast being unable to broadcast 4k content, making sports and other cable content look horrible on 65" TV with high resolution. Lots of posts mentioned upgrading set top box to 4k capability (w/variable success) and upgrading HDMI cables (also variable success). Someone named "@comcastamir" seemed to be able to help people out, recommending private messaging him, though I can find anywhere to private message within the xfinity forum community (and found a whole forum of people struggling with PM lack of functioning as well).

Can anyone help me??? @ComcastAmir can you see this?? Can you email me or find a way to fix? Happy to send along address and account info!

Silver Problem Solver

Re: My new 4k TV makes cable programming look awful!

@ENovik wrote:

Hi! I saw a bunch of posts about comcast being unable to broadcast 4k content, making sports and other cable content look horrible on 65" TV with high resolution. Lots of posts mentioned upgrading set top box to 4k capability (w/variable success) and upgrading HDMI cables (also variable success). Someone named "@comcastamir" seemed to be able to help people out, recommending private messaging him, though I can find anywhere to private message within the xfinity forum community (and found a whole forum of people struggling with PM lack of functioning as well).

Can anyone help me??? @ComcastAmir can you see this?? Can you email me or find a way to fix? Happy to send along address and account info!

There is no 4K content yet from the broadcasters who subscribe to Comcast X1.  The only 4K content is from other suplliers like Netflix (and Netlix has a highr monthly fee for 4K).

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Make sure you turn off any true motion  features .

Regular Visitor

Thanks -- how do I do that?

Expert

The "true motion" features are found under Advanced video menu in the Video main menu.

You will need to check the manual for your brand and model television. You may have to down-load the manual per instructions that came with the television. The cable-boxes do a very inferior job dealing with 1080i  (MPEG2) signals coming over satellite from local (network) channels to Comcast. This started about 2 years ago with the Comcast conversion from MPEG2 to MPEG4.

Turning off "true motion" and doing other adjustments can help the final picture. This means you have to get much more familiar with your new 4K "smart" television. The televisions all have computers with different operating systems making it extremely hard to fix compatability problems. This has been going on for over two years.

If you live in a metro. area and have an antenna, the best alternative is to watch sports (from 1080i) channels over the air. Our televisions can easily handle the 1080i upscaled to 2160p to fill our screens.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Thanks! This is a drag, I wonder if comcast can ever resolve this. I feel like sports don't look nearly as bad on my parents' or in-laws' TVs, but they use Optimum/Cablevision. Or perhaps they know their TV settings better...

Official Employee

ENovik wrote: 

Thanks! This is a drag, I wonder if comcast can ever resolve this. I feel like sports don't look nearly as bad on my parents' or in-laws' TVs, but they use Optimum/Cablevision. Or perhaps they know their TV settings better...

Hello, the information that (MNtundraRET) shared is correct this sounds more like an issue with the settings on your TV. But to be sure I replied to your private message please reach back out to me there for further assistance. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!