Community Forum

My XiD-P box connected to my TV via HDMI cable When I turn on my tv it will display No Signal

Contributor

My XiD-P box connected to my TV via HDMI cable When I turn on my tv it will display No Signal

I have my XiD-P box connected to my TV via HDMI cable. When I turn on my tv it will display No Signal even though everything is plugged in correctly and the cable box is on. 

To get the 2 talking again, I have to unplug my XiD-P box and reboot.  This will get the signal to come back up on the TV.  Just to save a little answering of what I have tried, I have tried a different HDMI port on the tv, I have tried a different HDMI cable.

I'm guessing this is a known issue and I would like to get this solved as I don't want to have to reboot my cable box every time I turn on the Vizio TV...

Expert

Re: My XiD-P box connected to my TV via HDMI cable When I turn on my tv it will display No Signal

@grdes wrote:

I have my XiD-P box connected to my TV via HDMI cable. When I turn on my tv it will display No Signal even though everything is plugged in correctly and the cable box is on. 

To get the 2 talking again, I have to unplug my XiD-P box and reboot.  This will get the signal to come back up on the TV.  Just to save a little answering of what I have tried, I have tried a different HDMI port on the tv, I have tried a different HDMI cable.

I'm guessing this is a known issue and I would like to get this solved as I don't want to have to reboot my cable box every time I turn on the Vizio TV...

what power setting (power save) do you have set? did you try just using your TV's remote and changing input to another live HDMI port and then back to the set top box?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: My XiD-P box connected to my TV via HDMI cable When I turn on my tv it will display No Signal

As I mentioned, tried multiple HDMI ports and cables.  How do you set power setting (power save) on the Xid-P box?

Highlighted
Expert

@grdes wrote:

As I mentioned, tried multiple HDMI ports and cables.  How do you set power setting (power save) on the Xid-P box?

xfinity >> settings (gear) >> device settings >> power preferences  be sure power saver is off. 

did you try just using your TV's remote and changing input to another live HDMI port and then back to the set top box?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@grdes wrote:

xfinity >> settings (gear) >> device settings >> power preferences  be sure power saver is off. 

did you try just using your TV's remote and changing input to another live HDMI port and then back to the set top box?

Power saver is off.

I just tried to change to another active HDMI port from my TV remote and when I go back to the port the XiD-P is on, I have lost the signal and have to reboot.

Expert

@grdes wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@grdes wrote:

Power saver is off.

I just tried to change to another active HDMI port from my TV remote and when I go back to the port the XiD-P is on, I have lost the signal and have to reboot.

if your X1 set top box is connected directly to your TV then try changing the port that the set top box is connected on the TV. 

Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@grdes wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@grdes wrote:

Power saver is off.

if your X1 set top box is connected directly to your TV then try changing the port that the set top box is connected on the TV. 

As I mentioned, I have tried all combinations HDMI ports and cables swapping them around and same effect every time.   

Expert

@grdes wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@grdes wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@grdes wrote:

Power saver is off.

As I mentioned, I have tried all combinations HDMI ports and cables swapping them around and same effect every time.   

check the HDMI cable end at the set top box (with a flashlight etc). what is the connection on the set top box labelled?

Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@grdes wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@grdes wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@grdes wrote:

Power saver is off.

check the HDMI cable end at the set top box (with a flashlight etc). what is the connection on the set top box labelled?

HDMI Out to TV

Expert

@grdes wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@grdes wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@grdes wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@grdes wrote:

Power saver is off.

HDMI Out to TV

try a different box using that cable. does the issue continue?

Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@grdes wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@grdes wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@grdes wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@grdes wrote:

Power saver is off.

HDMI Out to TV

It is the only XiD-P box I have in the house.

Expert

@grdes wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@grdes wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@grdes wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@grdes wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@grdes wrote:

Power saver is off.

HDMI Out to TV

It is the only XiD-P box I have in the house.

use a different set top box or swap the xiD for an xg2 (same price and it has its own tuners)

Valued Contributor

I am having the exact same issue with the XiD-P and the XG2v2. Started out of no where. 

Is is possible a software update has caused this?

I am using a Sony xbr 800e. I find it odd this problem just started and  I found this thread. 

Contributor

Well Xfinity sent me a PR150BNM to replace the Xid-P box.  Everything I have read on this box is they messed up and sent me a box that won't get me my Amazon or Netflix and to top it off it doesn't even boot up to my X1 system in my house.

Starting to think that whomever answered my phonecall to troublshoot my problem was clueless.

And to think I use to defend Xfinity/Comcast to people looking to cut the cord...

Valued Contributor

The only non DVR X1 boxes are the XiD-P and the XG2v2.

Are you having the problem with no hdmi signal still? 

Silver Problem Solver

@Tek wrote:

The only non DVR X1 boxes are the XiD-P and the XG2v2.

Are you having the problem with no hdmi signal still? 

That's not quite true:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Valued Contributor

Well other than wireless boxes.
Silver Problem Solver

@Tek wrote:
Well other than wireless boxes.

I'm confused; the XGV2 is not wireless just like the RNG150.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Valued Contributor

No I meant the only two normal X1 boxes they are issuing is the XGV2 and XiD. The only other boxes are the wireless ones. The older ones are not being issued anymore at the XFINITY Stores. 

I will say the XiD is very very fast. Probably the fastest box I have ever used next to the 4K DVR. 

Contributor

Hate to disapoint you, but if you call Xfinity, and they ship a box to you, you could get an old box as I did. 

I took a drive this morning to the Xfinity store (busy due to Patriots playoff game and people wanting to operational before kickoff) and the guy I talked to said "someone really messed up and should not have sent you that box".  

It's all good now.  I have a XG2 and all is good and working correctly.

Valued Contributor

@grdes wrote:

Hate to disapoint you, but if you call Xfinity, and they ship a box to you, you could get an old box as I did. 

I took a drive this morning to the Xfinity store (busy due to Patriots playoff game and people wanting to operational before kickoff) and the guy I talked to said "someone really messed up and should not have sent you that box".  

It's all good now.  I have a XG2 and all is good and working correctly.

Let me know if you still had the problem. I did not have that issue with my old XG2. Tech installed a new XG2 and I had the issue you describe. Swapped for a XiD and same isse again. 

It is almost as if the box goes offline or something. 

Contributor

Hi, Just came across your post about the “No Signal” issue and the XiD-P companion box. I've had this issue and thought I would add my experience. I have the DVR in the family room and the companion box in a bedroom.

I am now on my 4th XiD-P box. I also went thru all the same troubleshooting of trying different HDMI cables and connections on the TV and that solved nothing.

The first companion box I had that used a tuner in the DVR was the larger model with the AC adapter built into the box and just a simple power cord. That box just went out completely and I couldn't get it to work.

I took it back to the store and they gave me the newer smaller box with the AC adapter in the power cord. This box started having issues with the “No Signal” error and after multiple occurrences I decided to take it back. I NEVER had a “No Signal” issue with a companion box prior to this.

Got the 3rd companion box (same as the last with the AC adapter in the power cord) and it started having the same “No Signal” errors issues. I found the ONLY way I could get it to work again was to go to the DVR and have it do a complete system refresh. This usually worked, but at least one time it did not work and the companion box never came back up for the 5 hours I was monitoring it. I finally just turned off the TV and about 7 hours later turned on the TV and found it was working again. I had also tried looking at the devices online (from a PC in the browser) and in the mobile app. In both cases they showed the companion box was “online” … which of course it wasn't. And if I tried to do a device restart from either it “acted” like it was doing a restart (online or in the mobile app), but nothing was happening on the companion box itself. It (the restart request online or in the mobile app) would even eventually come back and say the restart was completed and did it resolve the issues. Of course it didn't since the TV was still just displaying the "No Signal" error, as it had during the entire "restart" process.

Got tired of it happening and decided to take both the DVR (I've had this DVR for 3 years) and companion box back. The Comcast store did not have any newer DVRs though, so I could only get a replacement companion box. This one is also the smaller box with the AC adapter in the power cord. So now I am on my 4th companion box that uses a tuner in the DVR. Same configuration as the last, but this time I turned off the power saver option (was enabled the last time). Will see how things go.

There are 4 things that can impact issues like this. The first thing to check is your cables to make sure they aren't the problem. Then the companion box itself can have a problem. But since it uses a tuner in the DVR, the DVR could potentially contribute to the companion box not working. And 3rd is the X1 software since anything we do is now dependent on their X1 system software and is required to make the device communicate with each other.

It's only been 2 days since I got this last box and so far no problems, but of course I'll keep monitoring it.

Expert

@eraym wrote:

Hi, Just came across your post about the “No Signal” issue and the XiD-P companion box. I've had this issue and thought I would add my experience. I have the DVR in the family room and the companion box in a bedroom.

I am now on my 4th XiD-P box. I also went thru all the same troubleshooting of trying different HDMI cables and connections on the TV and that solved nothing.

The first companion box I had that used a tuner in the DVR was the larger model with the AC adapter built into the box and just a simple power cord. That box just went out completely and I couldn't get it to work.

I took it back to the store and they gave me the newer smaller box with the AC adapter in the power cord. This box started having issues with the “No Signal” error and after multiple occurrences I decided to take it back. I NEVER had a “No Signal” issue with a companion box prior to this.

Got the 3rd companion box (same as the last with the AC adapter in the power cord) and it started having the same “No Signal” errors issues. I found the ONLY way I could get it to work again was to go to the DVR and have it do a complete system refresh. This usually worked, but at least one time it did not work and the companion box never came back up for the 5 hours I was monitoring it. I finally just turned off the TV and about 7 hours later turned on the TV and found it was working again. I had also tried looking at the devices online (from a PC in the browser) and in the mobile app. In both cases they showed the companion box was “online” … which of course it wasn't. And if I tried to do a device restart from either it “acted” like it was doing a restart (online or in the mobile app), but nothing was happening on the companion box itself. It (the restart request online or in the mobile app) would even eventually come back and say the restart was completed and did it resolve the issues. Of course it didn't since the TV was still just displaying the "No Signal" error, as it had during the entire "restart" process.

Got tired of it happening and decided to take both the DVR (I've had this DVR for 3 years) and companion box back. The Comcast store did not have any newer DVRs though, so I could only get a replacement companion box. This one is also the smaller box with the AC adapter in the power cord. So now I am on my 4th companion box that uses a tuner in the DVR. Same configuration as the last, but this time I turned off the power saver option (was enabled the last time). Will see how things go.

There are 3 things that can impact issues like this. The companion box itself can have a problem. But since it uses a tuner in the DVR, the DVR could potentially contribute to the companion box not working. And 3rd is the X1 software since anything we do is now dependent on their X1 system software and is required to make the device communicate with each other.

It's only been 2 days since I got this last box and so far no problems, but of course I'll keep monitoring it.

not sure how many set top boxes you have. at least one of your companion set top boxes should be an XG2 and it has tuners to loan out to other set top boxes. with an XG2, the DVR's tuners (after rebooting all devices but powering up the XiD/Xi3/Xi5/Xi6 boxes last. what model is your DVR? (do 'about' with the voice remote and reply with the rest of the line after "STB version number..."

Contributor

Hi Rustyben,

I only have the 1 DVR and the 1 companion box now. The 3rd TV was never used so I disconnected it and returned the box years ago. I had a XG2 years ago too but that was swapped out when it started having constant issues and they gave me the 1st companion box that used a tuner from the DVR.

The DVR info is:

Release Version             95.0.3

Release Timestamp      02/20/2019 14:07

XRE Protocol Version    2.8.0

Receiver                            Native version: 3.3.0

STB Timestamp               Fri 11 Jan 2019 05:56:28 PM UTC

STB Version                      AX013AN_3.3p6s2_PROD_sey

Environment                    c4-yf

Expert

@eraym wrote:

Hi Rustyben,

I only have the 1 DVR and the 1 companion box now. The 3rd TV was never used so I disconnected it and returned the box years ago. I had a XG2 years ago too but that was swapped out when it started having constant issues and they gave me the 1st companion box that used a tuner from the DVR.

The DVR info is:

Release Version             95.0.3

Release Timestamp      02/20/2019 14:07

XRE Protocol Version    2.8.0

Receiver                            Native version: 3.3.0

STB Timestamp               Fri 11 Jan 2019 05:56:28 PM UTC

STB Version                      AX013AN_3.3p6s2_PROD_sey

Environment                    c4-yf

you would gain a tuner on your DVR by changing the companion to an XG2. the topic on no signal is usually for an xg1v4 ('x014') 4k/UHD.