Community Forum

My Take on X1 and HDMI Handshake Issues

Gold Problem Solver

My Take on X1 and HDMI Handshake Issues

I have been reading about the issues people are having with HDMI Handshakes. I would like to share some thoughts that may help people.

I don't have ANY handshake issues with my three X1 boxes and I believe that I know the reasons why. For the sake of clarity, here are my three systems:

1. Main System: XG1V4, 2016 65" LG OLED, 2016 top of the line Marantz AV Receiver, Roku Ultra (4K and HDR), Sony UBP-X800 Blu-ray (4K and HDR), full Atmos speaker setup. OTA is available.
2. Second System: Pace XG2, 2012 55" Panasonic Plasma, Roku 4, Panasonic Blu-ray, Sonos Playbar. OTA is available.
3. Third System: Arris XG2, 2006 42" Panasonic Plasma, 2014 Marantz AV Receiver, Roku 2, Sony Blu-ray.

OK folks, here are the reasons I believe that I don't have any HDMI handshake issues with X1 boxes:

1. I leave my X1 boxes turned on 24-7-365. I do not use any power save or "Eco" modes on any devices.
2. I make sure HDMI-CEC is turned off on all devices. The CE industry has not standardized or fully embraced this technology.
3. I do not use ARC. Once again the industry has not standardized or fully embraced this technology.
4. I constantly make sure the firmware on all devices is up to date. Manufacturers have reasons for providing firmware updates. Many times it is to provide fixes for HDMI bugs, especially with TVs and AV Receivers.
5. I use high end Audioquest HDMI cables.
6. I rarely use the 4K setting on the XG1V4. It looks significantly better when set to 1080P.

Whether it just one of these points, a combination of them or all of them I can happily say that I have no issues with X1 boxes and HDMI handshakes.

I hope people find some help with this information.
Expert

Re: My Take on X1 and HDMI Handshake Issues

Thank you for the information Rick. Nice to see you back.

Mark  Smiley Wink

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

Thanks Mark.

I have a few thoughts about XG1V4 that I will post soon.
Contributor

@RickGr4 wrote:

OK folks, here are the reasons I believe that I don't have any HDMI handshake issues with X1 boxes:

1. I leave my X1 boxes turned on 24-7-365. I do not use any power save or "Eco" modes on any devices.
2. I make sure HDMI-CEC is turned off on all devices. The CE industry has not standardized or fully embraced this technology.
3. I do not use ARC. Once again the industry has not standardized or fully embraced this technology.
4. I constantly make sure the firmware on all devices is up to date. Manufacturers have reasons for providing firmware updates. Many times it is to provide fixes for HDMI bugs, especially with TVs and AV Receivers.
6. I rarely use the 4K setting on the XG1V4. It looks significantly better when set to 1080P.

Whether it just one of these points, a combination of them or all of them I can happily say that I have no issues with X1 boxes and HDMI handshakes.

Hi Rick,

I have this issue on my Samsung 4K TV. As a rebuttal to your list:

1. The power saving mode on my X1 box is turned off; and, I don't use eco modes either. 
  2. HDMI-CEC is turned off on all devices.
  3. I do not use ARC.
  4. All of my devices are updated (set to auto update) and I manually check for updates regularly.
  5. I have purchased quite a few high-end HDMI cables and tried swapping them on every HDMI port with the X1 box.
  6. I have even tried downscaling my X1 box and TV to 1080p.

Despite all of these things, the problem persists.

One thing that I haven't been able to try is turning only the box on. Since there is no manual power button on the XG1v4 box, I cannot tell if it might be a conflict with the remote. That is, I have pondered whether the nightly update could possibly cause a conflict between the XG1v4 box and the TV. In other words, the XG1v4 box is on and the TV is off. Then, when you press the "power" button on the remote, it turns the TV on but the box off. 

BTW, resetting the box via the Xfinity app doesn't work. My issue is only resolved when I manually unplug the device and then plug it back in again. 

Gold Problem Solver

I think it is interesting that LG TV sets seem to be immune from this issue...

I think it is fairly clear that Comcast, Samsung and Sony are not on the same page in regards to firmware.

Lovin my LG OLED more everyday!

@chrismireya wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

Hi Rick,

I have this issue on my Samsung 4K TV. As a rebuttal to your list:

1. The power saving mode on my X1 box is turned off; and, I don't use eco modes either. 
  2. HDMI-CEC is turned off on all devices.
  3. I do not use ARC.
  4. All of my devices are updated (set to auto update) and I manually check for updates regularly.
  5. I have purchased quite a few high-end HDMI cables and tried swapping them on every HDMI port with the X1 box.
  6. I have even tried downscaling my X1 box and TV to 1080p.

Despite all of these things, the problem persists.

One thing that I haven't been able to try is turning only the box on. Since there is no manual power button on the XG1v4 box, I cannot tell if it might be a conflict with the remote. That is, I have pondered whether the nightly update could possibly cause a conflict between the XG1v4 box and the TV. In other words, the XG1v4 box is on and the TV is off. Then, when you press the "power" button on the remote, it turns the TV on but the box off. 

BTW, resetting the box via the Xfinity app doesn't work. My issue is only resolved when I manually unplug the device and then plug it back in again. 

Expert

Well; I have never had handshake issues between my Cisco RNG150N (HD cable-box) and my Samsung 65 inch curved 3D UHD television since January 2016. They still have these cable-boxes in my service area twin cities MN. I have not had issues with anything. Rick and I worked through all the bugs with the beta "Ultra HD Sampler".

That said; I can't use X-1 equipment since I have DSL for Internet (Since the first week it came out). I rely on Comcast for Preferred HD service for at least 15 years now (regular rates). I can get any app I need from my television for IPV service. X1 service still requires Comcast provided Internet and I do not know if that may change in the future.

I am still a "Happy camper" with what I have.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!