Community Forum

Motorola MX011ANM and PA PR150BNM Manuals

Regular Visitor

Motorola MX011ANM and PA PR150BNM Manuals

My X1 Platform was installed yesterday afternoon.  I am trying to find manuals for the Motorola MX011ANM DVR and PA PR150BNM set top box.  They are not listed on the manauals page of the Comcast web site.  Help will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Joe

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Motorola MX011ANM and PA PR150BNM Manuals

For the most part, nobody has been able to find official manuals other than the links the mods have already posted.

Official Employee

Regular Visitor

Re: Motorola MX011ANM and PA PROBLEM Manuals

Thanks to repliers!  I appreciate your information.

I have a technical background and would really appreciate an in depth users manual for the DVR and Receiver.  I am used to doing research for myself before I call for help.  So many questions and so little info......

Gold Problem Solver

BellevueBob found a document that accompanied the X1 box when it filed for FCC approval but even that document didn't really add anything that we had not seen elsewhere in this forum.

Problem Solver

RickGr4 wrote:

BellevueBob found a document that accompanied the X1 box when it filed for FCC approval but even that document didn't really add anything that we had not seen elsewhere in this forum.

Just to follow up a bit,here is the FCC web site:  http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid/

To look up documents submitted for any electronic device, you need the FCC ID from the label the is somewhere on the device (back or bottom on something like a cable box, inside the battery compartment on many other devices like a cell phone or a remote control).  The first 3 characters of the FCC ID is called the "grantee code" and refers to the original manufacturer.  The remaining characters are the "product code" which identifies the device.

For the original X1 box (the one I have with a green power button) the FCC ID is NQ8PX001ANM. This is manufactured by Pace.  A "newer" box is now in the field made by Arris (Motorola), which has a blue power button.  Someone posted a picture of this new box on the dslreports site,showing  FCC ID as ACQ-XG1.  Note that in terms of the FCC, the "product code" starts with a hyphen.

After entering the codes, you can find all sorts of information about the devices (mostly technical).  They almost always include a document named "User Manual", but it's not always complete.  For example, the "User Manual" available for the new Arris box is just a single page with the required safety information.

Both manufacturers build the boxes to spec for Comcast, so it is really Comcast's obligation to provide a "User Manual" (since a consumer cannot directly purchase a box).  But a "User Manual" is not the same as a "Technical Manual".  A "User Manual" will only describe features that can actually be used, so although there are other "ports" on the back of the box, it will likely not mention them.

Some on the dslreports site claim that there are technical differences between the two boxes and that the Arris box is somehow "better".  I don't know enough about it to have an opinion.  I must trust that Comcast will announce any different functionality and let us know if we need to swap equipment for some reason.  

One last thing:  Go Seahawks!

Official Employee

One difference between the two arris x1 dvr doesnt have component out, its either hdmi or coax out and arris boots up a lot quicker it seems
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the info Bob!  I will look it up on the FCC's site.

Joe

Contributor

I have been looking for any manuals on these 2 boxes also since I now have them with the X1 install.

The MOTO MX011ANM being the DVR box and the PA PR150BNM being the companion box to the X1 DVR.

The technical manuals would list everything about each, even if not supported by Comcast for the X1 system.

The user manuals should show everything that Comcast supports, including connections, all button functionality, and all firmware/software supported and use of both firmware and/or software (and related remotes).

I would like to see the user manuals for these devices as I have done user acceptance testing of hardware devices, software drivers, and server/client software. I have written user manuals for devices and software related to the testing and all of the information is important and relevant to both support techs and end-users. End-users should have it available whether they know what it is, will ever use, or would use it.

I also would like to know more about the devices BEFORE I call Comcast techs, and maybe if I had them I would not call them at all.

I know the firmware for the devices and the X1 software are still under development and subject to change, but with each release there should also be a corresponding release of user manuals. Everything is dated and the manuals should list the release specs they are relevant too. This is standard operating procedure and not sure why the manuals are not made available for users.

I would like to see them though and they should exist somewhere as someone must be documenting the devices, firmware, and software for the techs or are they just given small amounts of info related to ... what?

Valued Contributor

MX011ANM is a modified version of the DCX3600, you can find the manual for that one in Google land.

Gold Problem Solver

Roughly one month ago when I started the process of replacing my former Pace Companion boxes with Arris DVRs, I had some good conversations with Comcast employees. One conclusion I came to is that Comcast considers X1 to be a highly secret project. They are trying to do all the design work internally, behind closed doors and with no outside help. Most Comcast employees have not been told much about X1 and are on a "need to know" basis. The employees who are "in the know" are sworn to secrecy. This is one explanation for why so many frontline service people know so little about X1.

It is for this reason that I would NEVER expect to see any highly technical documents or service manuals for X1 hardware. I think Comcast is simply too paranoid to post it...

m45warrior1 wrote:

MX011ANM is a modified version of the DCX3600, you can find the manual for that one in Google land.

Contributor

I see they do have manuals now for 2 similar boxes to what I have, but they actually do not match the boxes I have.

The RNG150N may be a newer version of the DCX3200 but it's nothing like the DCX3200.

The front panel is completely different and the back connections panel is completely different.

And while this may not be an issue for me, it would be for someone with little understanding of this type of technology.

But the user guide also does not show what I see for the for audio, video, etc, adjustments. And I do not see a date revision code anywhere that would indicate when the manuals was last updated - it may be there in the manual part number or something, but without knowing how to decode that it doesn't help me.

Also the manual I see for the RNG200N does not match (in similar ways) the hardware I have for the DVR.

But if what I am seeing that may be the date codes (not sure that's what they are), the 150N manual date code is Oct 2010 and the 200N manual date code is Dec 2010. That could explain why nothing matches the hardware I actually have.

Regular Visitor

Good information & manuals at http://www.dslreports.com/faq/17173
Regular Visitor

Includes info on differences between X1 & X2
Gold Problem Solver

Thanks Dave but this is old and out of date. There is nothing new or not previously known here.

The "X2" they are referring to is the "cloud based" guide all X1 users now have. Comcast is working on X2 but very little is known about it other than it will be UHD capable.

This information is good but much of it is quite old.

davedel2001 wrote:
Includes info on differences betweenX1 &X2