Community Forum

Missing all recorded DVR movies and shows.

Regular Visitor

Missing all recorded DVR movies and shows.

We have a X1 box and had some movies and shows recorded.  Tonight we noticed a lot of them are missing. It looks like some are there but maybe just on cloud DVR ( I can see them on my computer).

It seems to me that all of them are missing from the 500gb hhd. Is there a way to see if my recordings are on the hhd or the cloud DVR? If the hard drive has failed would I get some kind of notification?

By the way we had plenty of room on the DVR.

Thanks for any help.

Expert

Re: Missing all recorded DVR movies and shows.

@Racker wrote:

We have a X1 box and had some movies and shows recorded.  Tonight we noticed a lot of them are missing. It looks like some are there but maybe just on cloud DVR ( I can see them on my computer).

It seems to me that all of them are missing from the 500gb hhd. Is there a way to see if my recordings are on the hhd or the cloud DVR? If the hard drive has failed would I get some kind of notification?

By the way we had plenty of room on the DVR.

Thanks for any help.

go to the TV and view recordings on the TV connected directly to the DVR are the recordings showing there? did you try rebooting the DVR by unplugging from AC power for 30 seconds or so then plugging back in?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

On tv connected to dvr box it only shows about 20 recordings. 2%.  I'm not sure how many we had around a 100, somthing like 60%.  I just rebooted box. Nothing has changed and still missing recordings.

Gold Problem Solver

Did you recently swap out your DVR? If you did, the recordings on the HDD are gone.

X1 DVR's really don't give any notification of HDD failure other than they just don't work. Sometimes when they are in the process of failing they produce a highly pixelated picture quality when playing back recordings.

@Racker wrote:

On tv connected to dvr box it only shows about 20 recordings. 2%.  I'm not sure how many we had around a 100, somthing like 60%.  I just rebooted box. Nothing has changed and still missing recordings.

Regular Visitor

We did not get a new box. Is there any way to see what is on the cloud DVR and if there is anything on the set top box dvr?
Gold Problem Solver

When you start a recording playing press the down arrow once. On the far left under the program title you will see "DVR" or a cloud symbol.

Also, cloud DVR playback is a substantial reduction in picture quality. I find it to be extremely noticeable and the audio is only stereo.

@Racker wrote:
We did not get a new box. Is there any way to see what is on the cloud DVR and if there is anything on the set top box dvr?

Regular Visitor

Thanks Rick it looks like the few recordings we still have are on the DVR HD. Looks like the ones gone are just gone. I don't understand what happened we did have a short power outage. Maybe the recording we still have are were restored to a hard drive that voted wiped?
Gold Problem Solver

I learned long ago the DVR's are not 100% reliable and they can't be totally depended upon to preserve recordings.

If I were in your shoes I would probably do some test recordings for a few days and possibly be prepared to replace your DVR.

@Racker wrote:
Thanks Rick it looks like the few recordings we still have are on the DVR HD. Looks like the ones gone are just gone. I don't understand what happened we did have a short power outage. Maybe the recording we still have are were restored to a hard drive that voted wiped?

Expert

@Racker wrote:

using the voice remote on the TV connected to the DVR sould you use 'about' and reply with the rest of the line to right of 'STB version.."? also, check the Xfinity TV Remote app under recordings. do you show all your recordings there?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

@Rustyben
From the OP’s first post

It looks like some are there but maybe just on cloud DVR ( I can see them on my computer).

@Racker
It doesn’t matter what DVR that you have, I’ve escalated it up to a colleague that can take a look remotely and/or assist getting you a replacement

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hey there, Racker, thank you for reaching out here on the forums. 

I'm sorry to hear about your recordings! Let's take a look at this further together to troubleshoot further. Please send me a PM with your first and last name to get started. 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAlly” and click “send a message.”

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

Had the same problem. Last night DVR was over 70% full, this morning it was down to 23% with recordings missing. On the Xfinity Stream site it says over 80% full, but it shows fewer recording than the STB boxes are showing.

Official Employee

reggie77, I would be more than happy to take a look at this further with you as well. This seems to be an account-specific issue. Please feel free to send over a PM with your first and last name to get started! 

New Poster

The exact same thing just happened to us today. Last night our DVR saved list was 65% full with hundreds of recordings. Today it was at 1% full with 50 recordings. Only recordings from the last few weeks remained - all older ones were gone. The DVR is working fine in all other respects.

I was just told by a Comcast tech in a phone call that it is an 'outage issue' with this particular model of DVR and that techs have been working on it for a couple of months with the 'outage' expected to be resolved in a couple of weeks when, at that time, they are expecting that all of our missing recordings will be restored. We'll wait and see. (I also mentioned that we would hope to receive some $ compensation for a DVR recording service that we are paying for which isn't working very well.) Hope things get resolved for everyone else who is having this same issue. It's very frustrating and time-consuming to be on the phone for such a long time to find out what has been going on.

Official Employee

Hello, all, thank you so much for your patience while we worked on this. The issues with the missing recordings have now been resolved and your recordings should be available again. If you cannot find the recordings on your physical box, please try viewing them from the Cloud on the Stream app or website. 

Regular Visitor

@ComcastAlly This is absolutely still an issue for me that I've been chatting with comcast to try and resolve for the last two hours. No one has any idea what they're doing. Any tips?

Regular Contributor

I've still been dealing with these DVR issues as well with my XG1V3 box.  What I've heard is that while there may now be a firmware fix for these problems, the fix may not have been rolled out yet in many areas.   I know my X1 box hasn't recieved any firwmare updates for a couple weeks which may explain why I'm still seeing various DVR oddities?

Official Employee

germaguayan and Brocktoon, please feel free to send me over a PM with your first and last name so we can review this further together. Thank you! 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAlly” and click “Send a message.”

Frequent Visitor

Same thing happened to me today. This morning there were lots of tv shows recorded on my X1 and now they are all gone. Help!

Official Employee

Ferretguy, I'm here to help! Please also feel free to send a PM with your first/last name. 

New Poster

I had same problem since mid March 2019. Overnight my dvr went from 70% to 1% full. Told it was national outage and should take few weeks to get restored from cloud. Told few days ago it was fixed and ticket closed. It was not fixed- nothing was restored. Now, my delete function is also missing from watching programs.
New Poster

I don’t see my old missing recordings on the cloud app. They are still missing. 6/14/19
Official Employee

Bagelgirl, I'm sorry to hear that you're still having issues with the recordings! I can help out. I see you've already sent me a PM, and I will reach out to you there shortly! 

In terms of the "delete" function, that is still available. If you press "Record Options" it will then take you to a menu to manage your recordings. You can also press "D" on your remote to delete a recording. 

Regular Contributor

This seems to have happened to me as well and I have no clue why or how. Last night it was showing all of my recordings and it said it was at 89% and at around 1 am the cable was off for a few minutes but came back on and said it was at 66 % and all recording still showed and it had 26 under recently deleted and they were things I had, then at 3 am it said to do the daily update and afterwards it still showed all recordings. At around 5 am I played an episode of wwe raw and I fell asleep and then just now tried to play an episode of the challenge and under recordings all the shows and movies I had there aren't showing up now as if they vanished. I didn't think they deleted on their own. How do I fix this and get them back? Thanks!!!