Community Forum

Low volume from TV

New Poster

Low volume from TV

Sound level volume not as strong -- up maximum is just barely OK

Sound runs thru stereo amp from cable box.

Ran sound thru another amp I know to be OK -- sound level still the same.

Is this a problem with cable box ?     -------Or signal in to the house ?

Expert

Re: Low volume from TV

stern43 wrote:

Sound level volume not as strong -- up maximum is just barely OK

Sound runs thru stereo amp from cable box.

Ran sound thru another amp I know to be OK -- sound level still the same.

Is this a problem with cable box ?     -------Or signal in to the house ?

per federal law 'rules' the broadcaster can not change the volume level. It is passed on to comcast without change and comcast on to you. try using the hdmi connector  attached directly to your TV, how is the volume from the actual TV speakers? Tried other channels?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Gold Problem Solver

X1 boxes are known to have lower volume output. There is nothing wrong. It is just the way they are built. No fix other than turning the volume up further.

Some of the newer AV receivers can compensate for this...
Frequent Visitor

I turn my volume up all the way and get nothing.  No sound, just a barely audible high frquency electric sound.

If you can help,  I would appreciate it.   I am new to X1,  sound worked perfectly with old cable box. help

Expert

bpilert wrote:

I turn my volume up all the way and get nothing.  No sound, just a barely audible high frquency electric sound.

If you can help,  I would appreciate it.   I am new to X1,  sound worked perfectly with old cable box. help

If you have a short piece of coax hook up the cable box to the tv via coax and switch input to coax (antenna). has sound now? tried reversing ends of the hdmi cable (changes stress points)?

edit: did you check the TV menu using the TV's remote for audio input 'source'? is it set to hdmi? 

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

New Poster

Thanks - will try .

New Poster

Xfinity regular programming volumn has improved and we know some stations broadcast to Xfinity at slightly different volumns......but as far as "On-Demand" shows, Premium Channels and Movies there has always been a Volumn problem that I have complained about for eight years and still in 2016 the volumn problem still exists.

When you access on-demand for instance the volumn on the small screen with whomever talking is fine but when you access an on demand show the volumn goes way down...if you access a premium channel the volumn goes way down and if you access a movie the speaking is very low and the explosions, gunfire or background music is way high because we have to increase volumn to hear what characters are saying. I have had Xfinity corporate offices involved with this issue, supervisors visiting my home and outside Xfinity crews checking cable boxes outside my home...not to mention re-setting cable boxes multiple times which is Comcasts solution to everything....we all pay too much money for cable not to mention paying for channels we dont even watch and to have a volumn issue for this service even in 2016 is sad....so far all these Xfinity experts have only come up with one reason (which they qualify) as maybe for these volumn issues and they say its probably a transmit in "DOLBY SOUND" problem that they are aware of and are fixing...but that was eight years ago and still counting...................

Silver Problem Solver

Just an FYI, I don't have any volume problems with my Surround system.  And I don't have any volume issues with my other DVR or my two XG2 companions or with my HD DTA.

Maybe there is something wrong with your setup?

Gold Problem Solver

I suspected you are complaining to the wrong people. For the most part, Comcast is simply "repeating" what they receive from the networks. The volume issues are are talking about are caused by the sound engineers and the producers of the programs you watch.

Another part if the problem is I suspect you do not have a Dolby Digital sound system. Much of the programming we receive in our homes is meant to be played back on a Dolby Surround audio system. If you don't have a surround audio system the sound you hear will be highly compromised. 

Sorry to tell you this but I am 98% sure Comcast doesn't view this as a problem and there is nothing for them to fix. Honestly you have been blaming the wrong people for eight years. If you feel there is a problem that needs to be fixed, you need to contact the audio engineers and producers of the programs you are having issues with.

I suspect the reason you notice this when going to On Demand programming is most of that programming is surround encoded where most the other programming you watch are probably stereo.

When the "Xfinity experts" told you the reason was "Dolby sound" they were probably correct. But once again there is nothing for Comcast to fix. It's not a problem that needs fixing. Like I said earlier, Comcast in simply repeating the audio they receive.  

The real solution would be for you to purchase some sort of audio system that supports Dolby Digital surround audio. Also, the may be audio settings within your TV that may help with your concerns.

palmaire1 wrote:

Xfinity regular programming volumn has improved and we know some stations broadcast to Xfinity at slightly different volumns......but as far as "On-Demand" shows, Premium Channels and Movies there has always been a Volumn problem that I have complained about for eight years and still in 2016 the volumn problem still exists.

When you access on-demand for instance the volumn on the small screen with whomever talking is fine but when you access an on demand show the volumn goes way down...if you access a premium channel the volumn goes way down and if you access a movie the speaking is very low and the explosions, gunfire or background music is way high because we have to increase volumn to hear what characters are saying. I have had Xfinity corporate offices involved with this issue, supervisors visiting my home and outside Xfinity crews checking cable boxes outside my home...not to mention re-setting cable boxes multiple times which is Comcasts solution to everything....we all pay too much money for cable not to mention paying for channels we dont even watch and to have a volumn issue for this service even in 2016 is sad....so far all these Xfinity experts have only come up with one reason (which they qualify) as maybe for these volumn issues and they say its probably a transmit in "DOLBY SOUND" problem that they are aware of and are fixing...but that was eight years ago and still counting...................

New Poster

The sound engineers and the producers of the product send their product to comcast and it aires on my day to day tv and the volumn is fine as I said before...when that same product is replayed on demand the volumn is reduced. Premium stations like HBO and movies must fall into the Dolby Sound issue and is frustrating for people who do not have surround sound system in every room of their house.

Regular Contributor

I hear you. I just came from DirecTV, and I have noticed that Comcast's sound output is lower overall, as I have to turn all my systems up higher than I did with DirecTV, and there ARE Dolby issues that I did not have with DirecTV. I've achieved work-arounds by adjusting my surround levels through my AV system, but Comcast does have a problem. Probably won't fix it, though.

New Poster

Scott/Rick....with regards to audio issues I was able to get some increase in volumn by accessing user settings on RNG 150N cable box (TV on/Box off/Press menu on remote) go to audio output mode and choose L-PCM but now I have same box with an "X1" label on the back of the box and it will not access user settings in the same way as the non-x1 box did....anyone know how to access user setting on converted X1 box??

Gold Problem Solver

X1 boxes do not provide access to those types of settings.....
Problem Solver

Other people are reporting the same issue.  Here is a link to a message asking people which box they are having audio issues with.

wrote:

All of a sudden I have noticed volume problems. I used to be able to set the tv volume to about 20 for normal viewing. The max that I would have to raise it to would be about 30. It would be an extremely rare occasion when I would need to raise the tv volume above 30. Right now, I have the tv volume at 45, and it doesn't seem loud at all. This happened literally overnight. I have not changed ANY settings on the tv or cable box, so I know that isn't the issue. I'm just posting this so that others who notice a sudden volume problem will know that they aren't the only ones. 

New Poster

palmaire1 wrote:

Yep, this....still. Regular broadcast channels, Roku channels, etc all have adequate sound. I normally never turn the volume up past 15 because it's a small room. But with almost an On Demand movie hearing the dialog is almost impossible. I'm trying to watch "Everest" on MAX On Demand, and even with the volume at 56 I can't tell what they're saying.

Gold Problem Solver

That can happen when you are listening to a Dolby surround broadcast on a system that is designed for only stereo.

Are you listening to TV speakers only or do you have outboard audio devices???

Biscuit1001 wrote:

palmaire1 wrote:

Yep, this....still. Regular broadcast channels, Roku channels, etc all have adequate sound. I normally never turn the volume up past 15 because it's a small room. But with almost an On Demand movie hearing the dialog is almost impossible. I'm trying to watch "Everest" on MAX On Demand, and even with the volume at 56 I can't tell what they're saying.

Contributor

This problem happens to most.  Comcast could care less due to monopoly.  "user error".

New Poster

Low volume varies from box to box.  I switched a little over a year ago and was pleasantly surprised when my sound was much better.  Last week I changed again because the box I had kept shorting out.  It was replaced with Arris XG1v4 and I am back to awful low, little bass, problem.  I will exchange back to the other model box this weekend

New Poster

When our X1 box was installed in Sept 2017 the volume set on 30 - 35 was plenty loud. Now, five months later we are having to set volume on 60+ to get it close to where it used to be. What gives??!!
Expert

@GeraldClifton wrote:
When our X1 box was installed in Sept 2017 the volume set on 30 - 35 was plenty loud. Now, five months later we are having to set volume on 60+ to get it close to where it used to be. What gives??!!

do you have a sound bar or an audio receiver?

Frequent Visitor

i have the exact problem. I change to this box because it can show the 4k, but now th evolume problem make me think twice before I send back the x1 box.