Community Forum

Low Volume through Cable Box

Frequent Visitor

Low Volume through Cable Box

The volume level between my cable box and my output (a soundbar speaker connected to the TV) is very low. Having the volume maxed out makes the sound maybe just below a good listening level provided there's no ambient noise in the place (dish washer running, A/C on, etc.) where as with every other device connected ot the soundbar a maxed-out volume would be ea-splitting.

Can find no settings on either TV, soundbar or cable box to correct this issue.  Seems like the sound output from the cable box itself is severely gimped.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Low Volume through Cable Box

Is this for an X1 box or a legacy box? If a legacy box press menu 2x, setup, audio setup, select to optimize.

Valued Contributor

You say that your sound bar is connected to your TV?  Is it connected to an optical output?  If not, what output is it connected to?  Are all of the inputs to your sound bar connected to your TV?  More details would be helpful.

Gold Problem Solver

We haven't heard this complaint for awhile but we used to get it fairly often. The X1 DVR does have an audio output level that is lower than most video source components I have come across. There is nothing wrong with the box. It is working the way it is supposed to. It just forces us to turn up the volume an notch higher in our TVs or audio system.

I could see where the lower audio output could be a mismatch with some Soundbars. Unfortunately I don't think there is a fix for this other than trying different Soundbars. I have no issues with my SONOS Playbar. It gets plenty loud enough.

My SONOS Playbar has a "voice enhancement" feature that noticeably raises the volume level of voices in comparison the the background level. Maybe your Soundbar has a similar feature.

Trekker4747 wrote:

The volume level between my cable box and my output (a soundbar speaker connected to the TV) is very low. Having the volume maxed out makes the sound maybe just below a good listening level provided there's no ambient noise in the place (dish washer running, A/C on, etc.) where as with every other device connected ot the soundbar a maxed-out volume would be ea-splitting.

Can find no settings on either TV, soundbar or cable box to correct this issue.  Seems like the sound output from the cable box itself is severely gimped.

Silver Problem Solver

Trekker4747 wrote:

We have to set our Onkyo TX-NR609 to at least 55-60% to get the sound loud enough to hear.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Gold Problem Solver

Many of today's newer AV receivers have a way to balance out wide volume swings when changing sources. I believe my new Marantz does but I haven't looked that hard. Unfortunately Trekker is using a Soundbar and I have not come across a Soundbar that had a similar feature...

Like Robert's Onkyo, my Marantz gets more than loud enough. We never exceed 70 on a 0 to 98 scale and my Marantz adds most of it's volume at the top end of the scale...

RobertWy wrote:

Trekker4747 wrote:

We have to set our Onkyo TX-NR609 to at least 55-60% to get the sound loud enough to hear.

New Poster

my TV has to be at almost 75% volume before it is even usable, is there no way to boost x1 box volume up??

Gold Problem Solver

tleonardo1 wrote:

my TV has to be at almost 75% volume before it is even usable, is there no way to boost x1 box volume up??

The only setting in the X1 system is to toggle between Stereo and Surround.  I would look within the TV's Audio setings for options used there, and possibly change out the cable(s) used to connect the X1 to the TV.  

Gold Problem Solver

Make sure the X1 box is set to stereo, not surround. Also, look at the audio features in the settings of your TV and make sure all of the TVs "audio enhancer" features are turned off.

tleonardo1 wrote:

Official Employee

Can you tell us more about your setup? What sound bar do you have? How is the cable box connected to it? Do your devices connect to your Tv and your Tv connects to the bar or do your devices go straight to your sound bar?  What kind of cable box are you using, X1, non X1, dvr, hd, non hd?  We can try to replicate it and address it, but we need more information to help.

Regular Contributor

When I first got x1, the volume was low, it was defaulted to surround.  Switched it to stereo and BAM! LOUD AS ##@@!!

New Poster

Received free x1 upgrade box yesterday. After a rehit, got up and running. But volume is VERY low (borderline unlistenable w/tv at 100% volume). Somehow, the only suggestion from cust service was to replace the remote. (Ridiculous, as remote is functioning, moving vol up, down.) This was with just the tv speakers, so I tried hooking up to a home theater. Same thing. So, obviously the problem is the source... box audio output is somehow very low. Changed from stereo to surround (and back) in settings, again no change.

I've seen similar threads, but mine is the new box...xg2vs-2. Non-dvr. Very frustrating... I'll wait a few days to see if any help on here...but otherwise, will have to say adios to x1.

Gold Problem Solver

The digital audio output level of the XG2 appears low but it is useable.

When X1 boxes first came out many people complained about this and at some point Comcast changed it. I suspect they will do the same thing with the XG2.

FYI, I have XG2's in two of my setups and while the audio output is lower it is workable. I have no shortage of volume on my systems. I simply need to turn things up a bit more which is not a problem.

You may simply have a mismatch of components.

Rickhorse wrote:

Received free x1 upgrade box yesterday. After a rehit, got up and running. But volume is VERY low (borderline unlistenable w/tv at 100% volume). Somehow, the only suggestion from cust service was to replace the remote. (Ridiculous, as remote is functioning, moving vol up, down.) This was with just the tv speakers, so I tried hooking up to a home theater. Same thing. So, obviously the problem is the source... box audio output is somehow very low. Changed from stereo to surround (and back) in settings, again no change.

I've seen similar threads, but mine is the new box...xg2vs-2. Non-dvr. Very frustrating... I'll wait a few days to see if any help on here...but otherwise, will have to say adios to x1.

Gold Problem Solver

1 1/2 Year Old Thread being closed.  

Please create a new topic for any Low Volume Issues.