Community Forum

Loud, loud "background music"

Contributor

Loud, loud "background music"

I just had the X1 system installed in my entire house today.  On every set, the background music in a drama series (ie NCIS) is so overly loud that we can't hear the characters speak.  I went through torment getting this installed, am I going to have to take another day off work to get something adjusted?  I can't find anything in the setup mode that I can do, to correct this problem.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Loud, loud "background music"

I think we might be able to help you but you are going to need to provide us with MUCH more detail about your TV, your audio system and how it is connected... We will need to know which X1 boxes you have, and if they are set to surround or stereo...

MLurie wrote:

I just had the X1 system installed in my entire house today.  On every set, the background music in a drama series (ie NCIS) is so overly loud that we can't hear the characters speak.  I went through torment getting this installed, am I going to have to take another day off work to get something adjusted?  I can't find anything in the setup mode that I can do, to correct this problem.

Contributor

I have one DVR, and seven of the smaller boxes, I don't really know what kind of detail you need for those.  The televisions vary from 2 Panasonics, two Sharps, one Samsung, one RCA, one very elderly Magnavox.  The audio is set to stereo.

Contributor

And I don't know what you mean by audio system. Everything was connected by Comcast, through the cable outlets.  I don't have a stereo system.

I am a grandmother, and have too many televisions but have grandchildren.

Expert

MLurie wrote:

are you listening on the TV's speakers only? or do you have a receiver/amplifier that is givng you surround sound in the front and back of the viewing room?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

Only the TV speakers, I already said that I have no kind of sound system.  I honestly don't even know what a receiver/amplifier is.

I'll check back here tomorrow, and will be grateful for any advice.  It may be mainly a CBS thing, but I am too tired to do a lot of channel hopping tonight.

Gold Problem Solver

Other than making sure your X1 boxes are set to stereo, the only other thing you can do is go into the audio settings of your TVs and make sure that any features that "process" or "enhance" the audio are turned off. Look for anything like  "BBS" or "SRS" and turn it off.

It is possible that is the broadcast and there is little you can do about it.

MLurie wrote:

Only the TV speakers, I already said that I have no kind of sound system.  I honestly don't even know what a receiver/amplifier is.

I'll check back here tomorrow, and will be grateful for any advice.  It may be mainly a CBS thing, but I am too tired to do a lot of channel hopping tonight.

New Poster

We are having the same problem and we do not have a X1. NCIS was almost impossible to hear the characters because of the background music. We noticed the same situation while viewing the Hallmark channel. We do not have a speaker system. We are just playing through the t.v.'s speakers. We will take your advice and check the audio settings.

Expert

BronxRazed wrote:

We are having the same problem and we do not have a X1. NCIS was almost impossible to hear the characters because of the background music. We noticed the same situation while viewing the Hallmark channel. We do not have a speaker system. We are just playing through the t.v.'s speakers. We will take your advice and check the audio settings.

amen to that. I had same problem with Cedar Cove wrote them c/o the network to stop drowning the spoken words. this season they cut it down by half or more.

bad news is if just tv speakers nothing will fix what is recorded and presented. It could be a concert the shows have the background music so loud. I hate loud laugh tracks too.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

Thank you for all your help and concern.  This morning, I have read several complaints online in different spots, that the background music on NCIS last night was so loud that the characters couldn't be heard.  Since I had just had the new boxes installed and my 94-year-old mother was livid because she couldn't watch her favorite show, I jumped to the wrong conclusion.  I just hope this doesn't continue with their shows or things won't be pretty around my house on Tuesday nights.

Gold Problem Solver

X1 has plenty of issues with audio but your concern is almost always the broadcast. I watch most of my TV shows on a system that has a fairly nice surround sound setup. I noticed when watching last Monday nights Blacklist that the voices were occasionally withdrawn. All I could do was turn up the volume...

MLurie wrote:

Thank you for all your help and concern.  This morning, I have read several complaints online in different spots, that the background music on NCIS last night was so loud that the characters couldn't be heard.  Since I had just had the new boxes installed and my 94-year-old mother was livid because she couldn't watch her favorite show, I jumped to the wrong conclusion.  I just hope this doesn't continue with their shows or things won't be pretty around my house on Tuesday nights.

Expert

MLurie wrote:

My 83 year old mom-in-law needs the closed caption because of the music in background. Hit down arrow, then right arrow over to CC and press OK will toggle on to off back to on.

New Poster

We (here on the forum) all seem to have a common problem. Any suggestions on how we can get this "out" to the networks? There has to be thousands of viewer going through this.

Gold Problem Solver

Yes, buy a higher quality audio solution. The better your sound system is, the more adjustments and settings you have to get around these issues. The speakers built into most of today's flat screen TV's are horrible and getting worse day by day, not better. Many of today's flat screen TVs point the speakers straight down, not forward into the room which is a horrible idea.

If you haven't added an upgraded audio solution to your TV, even a modest priced sound bar, you should...

Not to brag but I have not used the speakers built inside a TV located in one of my main rooms for over 15 years. Even the TV in my master bedroom has an upgraded audio system connected to it...

BronxRazed wrote:

We (here on the forum) all seem to have a common problem. Any suggestions on how we can get this "out" to the networks? There has to be thousands of viewer going through this.

Silver Problem Solver

I don't think it is the sound system.

I think it is the source (Comcast).  I experienced it last fall season on some shows and the only thing I found to do was to turn the sound up.  Eventually, the problem went away, suggesting to me it was a "high traffic" issue.

Contributor

This is not the only forum I have found the complaint on.  There is a NCIS thread on Facebook, and there were complaints there.  I went to "contact us' on the CBS website and sent in a comment; someone answered me personally and said they would forward the complaint to the sound engineers.  They suggested an adjustment to the speakers on my television, but I my mother's set is too old for that to be the problem.

Problem Solver

The answer is that audio engineers at the networks have 'young ears.' and bring up background noise and music to add to the excitement of the drama.  Unfortunately as you get older (I'm 68 and a former audio engineer myself) it gets harder to understand the dialog sometime.  This is not a Comcast problem.

Since the networks only value the 'younger audience" complaining that your grandma can't understand what's being said will have little or no response.  

I admit on many TV shows I bring up the 'closed caption.'  I don't like it, but I'm not getting any younger either.

Gold Problem Solver

I just watched the season premiere of Hawaii 5-0 I must admit it was not always easy to listen to. The voices were generally withdrawn and hard to hear unless the volume was up past a point that my GF cared for.

AlanD your explanation is plausible but I am hoping there might be more to it...

AlanD wrote:

The answer is that audio engineers at the networks have 'young ears.' and bring up background noise and music to add to the excitement of the drama.  Unfortunately as you get older (I'm 68 and a former audio engineer myself) it gets harder to understand the dialog sometime.  This is not a Comcast problem.

Since the networks only value the 'younger audience" complaining that your grandma can't understand what's being said will have little or no response.  

I admit on many TV shows I bring up the 'closed caption.'  I don't like it, but I'm not getting any younger either.

Problem Solver

I was an audio engineer at CBS for 35 years.  The thinking is that if there is constant 'sound' either background or otherwise, it keeps the audience 'interested' (meaning not switching the channel) and keeps the 'ratings' up which is all important.  The advertisers care about viewers in the 18-49 year old age group, period.  

Expert

AlanD wrote:

I was an audio engineer at CBS for 35 years.  The thinking is that if there is constant 'sound' either background or otherwise, it keeps the audience 'interested' (meaning not switching the channel) and keeps the 'ratings' up which is all important.  The advertisers care about viewers in the 18-49 year old age group, period.  

just watching first time NCIS-New Orleans - same thing. If I recall, the netowrk originals have audio in 2 'tracks' one being conversation (words) that has to be translated for other markets, and background. I'm thinking that they are raising volume (average) so that commercials can be 'same' loudness as new regulations about commercial loudness are in effect now.In syndication they can adjust the level of the speech track. Anyone familiar with that advertising sound level limit (compression?)