Community Forum

Long-time Comcast/Xfinity customer--problem accessing TV channels via streaming app

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Long-time Comcast/Xfinity customer--problem accessing TV channels via streaming app

So, quick note: I haven't used a cable box in a couple years; I watch all TV using the online streaming app. I don't currently have a cable box though I pay for the cable TV service (trying to reduce monthly rental charges); not sure if this is related to my sudden issue. This morning, I discovered I cannot access most of the channels online that are in my TV Extra subscription package. When I click on the channel (e.g., Fox Business News), I get a message saying "subscription required" ... but this channel should already be in my subscription plan.  I have a few PCs in the house. Prior to today, I could stream TV from each of them, no problem. When I check my "actual" channel lineup online, there are only about 12 channels and they are not in HD quality online. Not sure what gives, since my subscription plan for Extra TV includes at least 125 channels, and I had no problem streaming Fox Business yesterday.  I've been trying all day to get to a tech person via the phone maze. No luck so far. Meanwhile, I'm trying YouTube's TV service; may pay an extra $75 for the coming month; hopefully will have some resolution from Comcast soon. 

Follow-up note:  Okay, so I have gotten resolution to this problem today (7/2/20). The issue apparently occurred when the return of my cable TV box was processed. (I returned it because I watch all TV online via the streaming app). For whatever reason, this seems to have caused a dropping of channels from my subscription package--maybe there was a technical feature that relied on confirming channel access through a connected TV box? I'm not sure. But an account/tech rep called me back today and reconfigured my subscription package without the cable TV box, refreshed the account, and I was good to go. I can access all of the channels in my package via the streaming app now.