Community Forum

Local Emergency Broadcast Test stops running App

Problem Solver

Local Emergency Broadcast Test stops running App

Why is it that the local weekly Emergency Broadcast Test message stops the  running Xfinity Pandora App and reverts to broadcast TV when the test is over? Can't the TV Box/Xfinity Service maintain what was running/being viewed and resume it?  Can a ticket be opened with the advanced technical support/developers?

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Local Emergency Broadcast Test stops running App

That’s how it’s meant to work, anything besides linear programming will get kicked out for Emergency Broadcast. The X1 platform won’t bring you back where you were

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Problem Solver

Do you mean that’s the way Comcast chose to implement it or that’s the way they were required to implement it?

Joe V
Expert

it changes the device to channel 1999 - action is required by federal law.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Problem Solver

Is what happens after the alert is over also defined by federal regulation? Or is that left for the service providers to implement as they choose?

Joe V
Expert

@jav6joev wrote:

Is what happens after the alert is over also defined by federal regulation? Or is that left for the service providers to implement as they choose?

it is just how they implemented it and the message repeats until channel changes or expires. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

Mine does the same thing, locks up the TV and have to reboot the system.  I have talked with several Xfinity support and that is the way  it is set up, they say by law.  FYI, AT&T Unverse allows the user to exit out of the message.  so the Xfinity response of required by law ... well you know what it is.  One of the reason I am considering leaving during my free 30 day trail.  The other is the lack of security set capailbites with the network, but that is another topic.

Contributor

@jav6joev wrote:

I think you just got the "run around".  Those emergency tests hijack my DVR and ON DEMAND

movies all the time.  I don't know why some stations interrupt programming for the test and some   

don't.  I never asked Comcast about it because I figured they wouldn't do anything anyway.  It's

easier to just blame the government and forget it.

Expert

@baz123 wrote:

@jav6joev wrote:

I think you just got the "run around".  Those emergency tests hijack my DVR and ON DEMAND

movies all the time.  I don't know why some stations interrupt programming for the test and some   

don't.  I never asked Comcast about it because I figured they wouldn't do anything anyway.  It's

easier to just blame the government and forget it.

comcast does not control any use of the emergency system. the signal goes 'out' from fed/state/local using special equipment that triggers the 'overriding' video as required by law. contact your fed/state officials to get laws changed.

Regular Contributor

So it is because comcast is a cable/communication company that their equipment must interrupt an app for the emergency signal where a roku or apple tv would not?

Expert

@lesmikesell wrote:

So it is because comcast is a cable/communication company that their equipment must interrupt an app for the emergency signal where a roku or apple tv would not?

the alert 'must' be sent. it is automated. if the sending agency fails to properly end the transmission you can't use the app etc until they end it properly.

Regular Contributor

I've never had pandora interruped on any other device.  Was I just lucky?

Expert

@lesmikesell wrote:

I've never had pandora interruped on any other device.  Was I just lucky?

it is not a 'tv' service like the stream app or x1 set top boxes.

Regular Contributor

Odd that an app literally running on a TV would not be a 'tv app', where one on a streaming  box is.

New Poster

Why can AT&T allow the TV viewer to exit out of the Emergency broadcast message but Xfinity can't?  I noticed that the comcast guy ignored that on my comments. Also it locks up my bos and I have to reboot.

Contributor

@jb_c wrote:

Why can AT&T allow the TV viewer to exit out of the Emergency broadcast message but Xfinity can't?  I noticed that the comcast guy ignored that on my comments. Also it locks up my bos and I have to reboot.

None of the people who supposedly answered these questions is a current Comcast employee.

Real employees would probably rather avoid the issue than tell the ugly truth:  they could fix the

problem, they just don't want to.  Write to the FCC or switch to another tv provider, or both.

Expert

@baz123 wrote:

@jb_c wrote:

None of the people who supposedly answered these questions is a current Comcast employee.

Real employees would probably rather avoid the issue than tell the ugly truth:  they could fix the

problem, they just don't want to.  Write to the FCC or switch to another tv provider, or both.

pick one of your local broadcast stations and call ask for the broadcast engineer. discuss with them how it works (they have 3 servers one for each agency normally -fed, state, local) and those servers interrupt the feed beginning and ending with the signals from the sending message agencies. Comcast gets national notices at least and maybe state notices that they are obligated by law to send to us customers.  information is probably available about the issue on google, too.