Community Forum

Just switched from legacy to X1 DVR

Contributor

Just switched from legacy to X1 DVR

I recently (finally) made the switch from a legacy DVR to an X1. Some things are better, some worse. I'm mostly ok with the changes, but I have some questions...

The X1 box seems to be unable to record the live TV buffer. On the legacy box I could hit the record button any time while watching a show and the entire buffer back to the beginning of the show (or at the point where I changed the channel) would be recorded. But with the X1 the recording always begins at the time I hit the record button. Am I missing something, or is this just the way X1 works?

With the legacy box I could use the "tuner swap" method to watch two shows at once. I could pause one, switch to the other tuner and watch a while, pause and return to the first tuner and resume from where I paused it. With X1 it seems like the only way to watch like this is to record everything and then use "last" two switch among the recordings. This will take some getting used to (and a few extra keystrokes on the remote), but I can get used to it. Seems like a waste of DVR space though.

Another way I watched on the legacy box was to pause live TV and then watch something on the DVR for a while. I could always return to the live TV and resume from where I left off. Again, X1 seems to not work like this. Whenever I pause live TV and start watching a DVR recording, returning to the live show always returns to live, not where I paused it.

When setting a series recording, the legacy box used to give me more options for adding extra time. There are a few shows that run 1 minute late, so that was a nice option. But the X1 apparently has 3 minutes as the minimum time. Again, am I missing something, or is adding 1 minute really not an option on X1? Maybe this doesn't really matter since there are 6 tuners on the X1 so  even with 3-minute padding I'll probably never run into clipping like with the 2-tuner legacy.

Speaking of padding, I have the preference set to pad all recordings. But am I correct in assuming that this works only for series recordings? I don't think I'm getting any padding for shows that I just record once (manually).

I guess most of these are quibbles with the way Comcast wants me to record everything and not bother with the live TV buffer. I suppose I can get use to it eventually. But then there's this...

Is frame-by-frame advance really gone? No slow-mo rewind at all? And there's just one slow-mo forward speed that isn't very slow? I'm a big sports fan and I use these all the time on the legacy box. It's almost a deal breaker for me. Not sure I can ever get used to not having them.

Official Employee

Re: Just switched from legacy to X1 DVR

There is no buffer recording on the X1 platform.
Tuner swap, you’re doing it right.
Instead of pausing live tv, record what you might go back to
There isn’t a true frame by frame advance or slo-mo rewind

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

The problem with using tuner swap the new way on X1 is that I have to plan ahead. I have to remember to record everything I want to watch, and everything I might want to watch, and then start watching on the DVR. If I'm watching a show live and then decide I want to record it...nope, can't do that anymore.

And with the way I like to watch football, I will have to record the game I want to watch live, and also record NFL Red Zone (which runs 6+ hours!). That's the only way I can switch between the two with a working pause on X1. Not exactly user friendly.

I have also noticed that the X1 box is a bit sluggish compared to the legacy. Menus take longer to open, which makes navigating them a bit slower. I guess form over function here is inevitable. I'll get used to it. Not that big a deal.

That reminds me...Is there a setting to control how long the overlay stays on screen when I skip forward or backward? Or remove it entirely?

One more thing...When I say "fast forward two minutes" into the remote, it sometimes interprets it as "fast forward to minutes," which does not do what I wanted it to do. That should probably never happen.

But yeah, losing frame-by-frame and the multiple slow motions...that might be a reason to go back to legacy. We'll see.

Expert

@tony_w wrote:

The problem with using tuner swap the new way on X1 is that I have to plan ahead. I have to remember to record everything I want to watch, and everything I might want to watch, and then start watching on the DVR. If I'm watching a show live and then decide I want to record it...nope, can't do that anymore.

And with the way I like to watch football, I will have to record the game I want to watch live, and also record NFL Red Zone (which runs 6+ hours!). That's the only way I can switch between the two with a working pause on X1. Not exactly user friendly.

I have also noticed that the X1 box is a bit sluggish compared to the legacy. Menus take longer to open, which makes navigating them a bit slower. I guess form over function here is inevitable. I'll get used to it. Not that big a deal.

That reminds me...Is there a setting to control how long the overlay stays on screen when I skip forward or backward? Or remove it entirely?

One more thing...When I say "fast forward two minutes" into the remote, it sometimes interprets it as "fast forward to minutes," which does not do what I wanted it to do. That should probably never happen.

But yeah, losing frame-by-frame and the multiple slow motions...that might be a reason to go back to legacy. We'll see.

try "...120 seconds" for slow mo rev iew (for me usually special effects) i use phone to record off tv screen then watch it frame by frame on the phone able to scrub forward and wackward when playback is paused. re: 'sluggish" what is the model number of the sluggish set top box? (voice 'about', the STB version line).

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

STB version: AX013AN_3.2p10s1_PROD_sey

Expert

@tony_w wrote:

STB version: AX013AN_3.2p10s1_PROD_sey

good version only newer one is version 3 DVR that has 4k capability and no front panel clock.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.