Community Forum

Just switched from Dish - Couple Questions

New Poster

Just switched from Dish - Couple Questions

Just switched from Dish + Comcast internet to a Double Play for what ends up being pretty big savings. Couple minor things I'm trying to sort out related to X1 interface.

Coming from Dish - I had 1 button to press to get to the DVR - now Xfinity - > Saved - > recordings 

Is there a shortcut?

On the Dish remote - there was an easy skip forward/backwards button that was about 30 seconds at a time and could be pressed multiple times to jump a couple minutes, I see the "replay" button on the Xfinity remote, that just seems to jump back about 10 seconds but nothing beyond that.

What I think my biggest annoyance will be is the difference in the Dish anywhere app vs Xfinity Stream-  Dish anywhere I can watch any channel I want and set DVR remotely. Was out this morning and tried to set dvr remotely to catch football game and lo and behold, THAT"S NOT A FEATURE bc apparently Comcast lost a lawsuit to TiVO a while back? Also, what's with the big chunk of my channels not being available for remote streaming? Dish I could stream any channel, is this something to do with it not actually using the tuners on Xfinity whereas with Dish it ties up a tuner when I'm streaming? REALLLLLY annoying.  Proabably should have done a little homework, shame on me for assuming some of what I assumed to be basic features would be universal. 

Thanks for any insight.

Expert

Re: Just switched from Dish - Couple Questions

@aud14 wrote:

Just switched from Dish + Comcast internet to a Double Play for what ends up being pretty big savings. Couple minor things I'm trying to sort out related to X1 interface.

Coming from Dish - I had 1 button to press to get to the DVR - now Xfinity - > Saved - > recordings 

Is there a shortcut?

On the Dish remote - there was an easy skip forward/backwards button that was about 30 seconds at a time and could be pressed multiple times to jump a couple minutes, I see the "replay" button on the Xfinity remote, that just seems to jump back about 10 seconds but nothing beyond that.

What I think my biggest annoyance will be is the difference in the Dish anywhere app vs Xfinity Stream-  Dish anywhere I can watch any channel I want and set DVR remotely. Was out this morning and tried to set dvr remotely to catch football game and lo and behold, THAT"S NOT A FEATURE bc apparently Comcast lost a lawsuit to TiVO a while back? Also, what's with the big chunk of my channels not being available for remote streaming? Dish I could stream any channel, is this something to do with it not actually using the tuners on Xfinity whereas with Dish it ties up a tuner when I'm streaming? REALLLLLY annoying.  Proabably should have done a little homework, shame on me for assuming some of what I assumed to be basic features would be universal. 

Thanks for any insight.

1) voice remote "recordings"

2) remote buttons pressed quickly: exit exit exit 0030 (use page up and page down). this changes the set top box not the remote. for multiple boxes use same command with each remote.

3) we had the recording feature but TiVo pressed the issue (not in the proper patent court) and now is losing case after case of the nearly 3 dozen patent challenges by Comcast.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

@aud14 wrote:

Is there a shortcut?

Thanks for any insight.

Use the Voice Commands and say "Recordings"

Which remote do you have? The XR11 it's pg up/down for 30 seconds or 5 minutes, you can also use Voice Commands for the exact time that you want to go back and forth

Loss of recording remotely is a result of litigation, you can read about here

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/td-p/3006332

Yes there are restrictions on what's available out of home

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/getting-started-xfinity-tv-mobile-app

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Thanks for all the answers so far, we do have the XR11 remotes and page up/down is jumping 5 minutes. Is there a way to change that to 30 seconds. I looked in menus for a bit but didn't see it. The voice search has been really handy as I have NO CLUE what my new channel numbers are. 

Another silly question - is there a remote locator - button you push on the cable box that makes the remote beep? 

Official Employee

Push exit 3 times and 0030

Sorry, No remote locator

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Thanks I see where you shared that earlier and i had overlooked

Silver Problem Solver

@aud14 wrote:

Another silly question - is there a remote locator - button you push on the cable box that makes the remote beep? 

Nope.  I sure wish there was a button like that on the X1 remotes.  Some third-party remotes like the Logitech Harmony line do support X1.  I have never looked to see if any of them have that feature.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

I too have had the 30 sec skip working well - until the last month (it seems).   Now, every few days the 30 sec skip reverts to 5 minutes.    WHAT IS GOING ON COMCAST?   Some combination of doing the exit exit exit 0030 AND doing a soft reboot seems to work - buy WHY am I having to do this so often?   And,  also - on DirecTV, you can repeatedly hit the skip button and it knows how many times you hit it and it skips ahead that cummulative amount - AND - it shows you on the screen the number of skips that you pusked.   Comcast? can you do that?

Tags (1)
Frequent Visitor

30 sec skip issue has not happened for abt 2 weeks... good so far

still have request for feature improvement