Community Forum

Issues with Video Resolution - X1 Box

Regular Contributor

Issues with Video Resolution - X1 Box

I just bought a new Samsung 6300 65" TV and a Sony STR-DNG840 receiver, with these hooked up to the X1 box from Comcast.  I have the HDMI setup on HDMI2 to suppor ARC on my HDMI cable.  With my current setup I'm well beyond capable of displaying 1080p content.  For some reason my X1 box seems to think my TV is only 720p.  I can reboot the X1 box and I'm able to set it to the correct 1080p60 setting but during the night something seems to happen to the box and it defaults to 720p.  The only way I can get it back is to competely reboot the X1 box again.  I've got the power saving turned off and the screen saver set to 5 hours since there is no way to turn it off.  I've got a few more settings to try on the receiver but something seems to be screwy with the X1 box.  I had an older Samsung 630 tv and an older Sony receiver that did 1080p upscaling and that setup worked fine.  Same HDMI cables on that setup as this one.  Yes the HDMI cables are newer which support 1080p and ARC for those that will ask, the problem isn't with the cables.

Has anyone else had/seen this problem?

Expert

Re: Issues with Video Resolution - X1 Box HDMI & ARC

I had to look it up was new to me

http://hdguru.com/what-is-hdmi-arc-and-what-does-it-do-for-your-hdtv/

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Issues with Video Resolution - X1 Box

I would not use ARC....  I could but i don't.

Try a different connection...

X1's implementation of HDMI is weird and cannot always be trusted.

Jcato77 wrote:

I just bought a new Samsung 6300 65" TV and a Sony STR-DNG840 receiver, with these hooked up to the X1 box from Comcast.  I have the HDMI setup on HDMI2 to suppor ARC on my HDMI cable.  With my current setup I'm well beyond capable of displaying 1080p content.  For some reason my X1 box seems to think my TV is only 720p.  I can reboot the X1 box and I'm able to set it to the correct 1080p60 setting but during the night something seems to happen to the box and it defaults to 720p.  The only way I can get it back is to competely reboot the X1 box again.  I've got the power saving turned off and the screen saver set to 5 hours since there is no way to turn it off.  I've got a few more settings to try on the receiver but something seems to be screwy with the X1 box.  I had an older Samsung 630 tv and an older Sony receiver that did 1080p upscaling and that setup worked fine.  Same HDMI cables on that setup as this one.  Yes the HDMI cables are newer which support 1080p and ARC for those that will ask, the problem isn't with the cables.

Has anyone else had/seen this problem?

New Poster

I have the same issue, it defaults to 720 even though my TV supports 1080p. Unplugging the hdmi and plugging it back in seems to reset the connection and defaults back to 1080p. Seems to be a bug with the x1 box.
Expert

Swap out HDMI cable with one on your DVD player or another cable box. Then see if the problem moves with the cable. If tv has an extra open HDMI input, and cable swap doesn't work try that extra jack (move connection).

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Regular Contributor

It isn't / wasn't an issue with the HDMI cables it had to do with HDMI CEC.  My devices all talked to each other and was doing something crazy to the X1 box.  I of course blame Comcast and their implamentaion of HDMI on the box and not my new TV and Receiver since it all works fine when playing Movies or even the On-line content on the TV itself.

I turned off CEC on the TV and the receiver and the system seems to stay put on 1080p60 which is great.  Sadly I feel like I've broken some form of functionality now.  I turned a few other things off as well, I'll start to turn things on and off this weekend to see if I can isolate the solution better.  For now it seems to work and I'm happy with that.

Regular Contributor

Gold Problem Solver

I would not feel that way. X1 is weird. We can't fix it we can only work around it.

FYI, I detest the XR2 remote and do no use them. I have a wide variety of Harmony and URC remotes. When you properly program a higher end universal remote, the last thing you want is HDMI-CEC intervention. I make it a point to always turn HDMI-CEC when I do installations...

Jcato77 wrote:

It isn't / wasn't an issue with the HDMI cables it had to do with HDMI CEC.  My devices all talked to each other and was doing something crazy to the X1 box.  I of course blame Comcast and their implamentaion of HDMI on the box and not my new TV and Receiver since it all works fine when playing Movies or even the On-line content on the TV itself.

I turned off CEC on the TV and the receiver and the system seems to stay put on 1080p60 which is great.  Sadly I feel like I've broken some form of functionality now.  I turned a few other things off as well, I'll start to turn things on and off this weekend to see if I can isolate the solution better.  For now it seems to work and I'm happy with that.

Silver Problem Solver

Just to show you how hard it is for Comcast to program for EVERY installation, my A/V receiver, PS/3, BD DVD player, and my Samsung SmartTV were working fine with CEC turned on.  I tunred off CEC on the TV so the XR11 remote I bought would be able to turn my receiver off and on.

Just think about how many different combinations of equpment millions of customers have and you can appreceiate the magnitude of the problem.  I have been a software programmer my whole life and I wouldn't want that job.

Jcato77 wrote:

Regular Contributor

Rick,

I have a harmony remote as well, and it's configured to control all the devices.  HDMI-CEC was fairly new when I had my preivous TV/Receiver so I didn't have to worry too much about it.  There are some advantages to it and I believe you can work around the settings.  My ARC is working even with CEC turned off so my daugther can stream from netflix on the TV with no issues.  I'm a bit of a geek so I like to see if I can figure out what is causing the problem and how to correct for it or get the most optimal setup.

I'm not a huge fan of any of comcast's remotes so I generally just put them in my remote bin and forget about them once I have my Harmony remote setup.

RickGr4 wrote:

I would not feel that way. X1 is weird. We can't fix it we can only work around it.

FYI, I detest the XR2 remote and do no use them. I have a wide variety of Harmony and URC remotes. When you properly program a higher end universal remote, the last thing you want is HDMI-CEC intervention. I make it a point to always turn HDMI-CEC when I do installations...

Regular Contributor

Robert,

HDMI-CEC does not have to be programmed for it's an established protocol that you either enable or disable.  Sadly it looks like the implamentation of it by Comcast in the X1 box is not up to snuff.  That's fine the great thing about it is you can on most devices turn it on or off.  I could gladly just turn it off on the X1 box and leave the rest alone but it seems I only have the option to configure it on the TV and Receiver which is fine.

I do appricate what Comcast is doing with the X1 box, they are trying to bring their service into the digital age.  Anyone using the old moto boxes with the terrible 1980's guide can relate.  You have to wonder what their approach is to this as they seem to just keep making errors all over the place which seem like easy things to avoid.  Working in technology that does both hardware and software I know what it takes.