Community Forum

Is there a IR extender for the XR11 remote?

New Poster

Is there a IR extender for the XR11 remote?

I know the XR11 is capable of doing RF and IR but the RF is limited to the set-top-box only. This is great if the only component befind a closed door was the s-t-b, but my audio equipment is also behind the closed door. 

The XR11 will operate the audio equip via IR if the door is open and in line-of-sight....works just fine. 

So, now, all I need is a IR extender (with 3.5" plug) to capture IR signal from XR11 remote. 

I went to the Comcast store and they gave me an extender (IR-1M-EXT) but it only works with the prior generation remote (not X1 or XR11). It's too bad as the cable is exactly what I need - if only it worked with XR11. 

Does anyone know if Comcast provides an IR extender for the XR11 remote? And if so, do you happen to have the model number?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Is there a IR extender for the XR11 remote?

There is no extender for any box other than X1 equipment.  You will have to do what I did; put my receiver in an open area.

You might consider testing a third-party remote than can communicate with your enclosed equipment.

See if any of the Harmony remotes will work for you.

Rick is the person on this forum to PM about this issue.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Gold Problem Solver

As Robert mentioned, the Comcast devices cannot accomplish this without 3rd party help.

There are plenty of 3rd party IR "repeater" kits out there and plenty of good remotes that can also accomplish this. Harmony remotes can be user programmed. URC, RTI and Pro Control make great remotes but they require professional programming.

Harmony has a couple of current remote control models that can accomplish this. Also, the Harmony 900 can do this (long discontinued but refurbs are easy to find). I have three Harmony 900s and I can confirm they have compatibilities light years beyond the Comcast remotes.

If you have an AV receiver and additional sources in your system I HIGHLY recommend you look at 3rd party remotes.

msza340 wrote:

I know the XR11 is capable of doing RF and IR but the RF is limited to the set-top-box only. This is great if the only component befind a closed door was the s-t-b, but my audio equipment is also behind the closed door. 

The XR11 will operate the audio equip via IR if the door is open and in line-of-sight....works just fine. 

So, now, all I need is a IR extender (with 3.5" plug) to capture IR signal from XR11 remote. 

I went to the Comcast store and they gave me an extender (IR-1M-EXT) but it only works with the prior generation remote (not X1 or XR11). It's too bad as the cable is exactly what I need - if only it worked with XR11. 

Does anyone know if Comcast provides an IR extender for the XR11 remote? And if so, do you happen to have the model number?

New Poster

@RickGr4 No matter where I place the IR extender on the xfinity box, I can't get my Harmony 650 remote to control it. The box is the xfinity PX013ANM (XG1-P) and it is behind a wall in an adjacent room. The remote is working just fine with all other equipment using the same IR repeater equipment. I'm so lost.  Here's the thing though, if I go to the box and point the Harmony 650 right at it in that other room, it works perfectly as far as I can tell. What would be your troubleshooting steps? I do have th XR11 remote that I could just use when watching cable, but I'd love to get this one working. Logitech and Comcast have both pointed the issue to the IR repeater, but I'm out of ideas. Thanks for your ideas.

Silver Problem Solver

wrote:

@RickGr4 No matter where I place the IR extender on the xfinity box, I can't get my Harmony 650 remote to control it. The box is the xfinity PX013ANM (XG1-P) and it is behind a wall in an adjacent room. The remote is working just fine with all other equipment using the same IR repeater equipment. I'm so lost.  Here's the thing though, if I go to the box and point the Harmony 650 right at it in that other room, it works perfectly as far as I can tell. What would be your troubleshooting steps? I do have th XR11 remote that I could just use when watching cable, but I'd love to get this one working. Logitech and Comcast have both pointed the issue to the IR repeater, but I'm out of ideas. Thanks for your ideas.

My 650 works with my Pace X1 DVR without an extender.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

I'm currently using  Aketek IR Hidden Infrared Remote Extender Receiver Emitter Repeater System with my Comcast box and the XR11 remote. Since the CC box uses RF for almost everything, I only need the IR extender to drive the volume control on my Sony sound system. This extender is IR based and must have direct line access to the IR "eye" within about 20-25 feet. Good luck!

@RobertWy wrote:

wrote:

My 650 works with my Pace X1 DVR without an extender.