Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Is it possible to watch 4k olympic content on a non 4k X1 box?

Problem Solver

Is it possible to watch 4k olympic content on a non 4k X1 box?

I have a 4k tv just not the box.

but is it even possible to watch the 4k content? through a non 4k box? will I be able to watch it 

Accepted Solutions
Official Employee

Re: Is it possible to watch 4k olympic content on a non 4k X1 box?

No you won’t, if you try to access it you’ll get an error code.

Use this link if you need assistance getting a 4K DVR
http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/Xfinity-4k-XG1v4-Cable-Box-Availability/td-p/2987898/p...

All Replies
Problem Solver

No way.

Best signal possible is either 1080i for locals in MPEG 2, or 720p in MPEG 4. You are just getting a synthesized signal to fill in the extra pixels. That is why there is really no comparison between a up-scaled 4K versus the real thing when watching a 4K You Tube film over streaming broadband. 

It looks like you have not yet managed to get the 4K DVR yet.

Official Employee

No you won’t, if you try to access it you’ll get an error code.

Use this link if you need assistance getting a 4K DVR
http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/Xfinity-4k-XG1v4-Cable-Box-Availability/td-p/2987898/p...
Problem Solver

@MNtundraRET wrote:

No way.

Best signal possible is either 1080i for locals in MPEG 2, or 720p in MPEG 4. You are just getting a synthesized signal to fill in the extra pixels. That is why there is really no comparison between a up-scaled 4K versus the real thing when watching a 4K You Tube film over streaming broadband. 

It looks like you have not yet managed to get the 4K DVR yet.

I might have confused you with the comment about You Tube. If your 4K tv is a "smart tv", and you have the You Tube app in the tv, your Gateway router would pass a 4K signal over the Ethernet connection using high-speed broad-band. If your tv also has the Netflix app you could watch 4K if you paid for their 4K service.