Community Forum

Is Comcast ending DVR Hard Drive recording?

New Poster

Is Comcast ending DVR Hard Drive recording?

I have been a Comcast customer for many years. I am now noticing that almost every single interaction with the X1 box is sluggish, as if I am controlling a cloud stream instead of my local HD. Even accessing pre-recorded material is painstakingly slow. I'll wait 5-10 seconds or longer just for a pre-recorded show to load. Even pausing a show can take a few seconds to complete. Does the X1 box still utilize its internal hard drive or has it been at least partially disabled? I have not subscribed to the streaming cloud service offered by Comcast, I have no interest in that. I have several remotes to try and they all behave the same. What is happening??!!  Thanks

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Is Comcast ending DVR Hard Drive recording?

The interior hard drive is still in use, the DVR also has an interior modem that uses docsis channels. The box being slow is normally when those channels are out of spec. You should have a tech out to troubleshoot further.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

I have had several tech visits over the last few months, so that is not the issue. Is the new 4k box any faster? Did Comcast build this new box with a faster chip so it responds quickly? The X1 has always been excruciatingly slow. This all started about the time that the new streaming service started.

Most Valued Poster

I was one of the first ones in our local Comcast area to get X1.  I knew the local head technician for Comcast at that time and he was happy to see it installed in my area as it recently had the fiber upgraded.  X1 was blazingly fast at that time.  I loved it.  Then Comcast rolled out what they called X2 a bit later, but they assured us here and elsewhere it was still going to be X1 but better.  In some way it was, but then I too stated noticing how thing continued to slow down more and more over the years.  Overall, I am still happy with X1 and would never go back but the moral of the story is after all these years I think there is still lots of room for improvment.   Case in point, the so called Netflix stutter.  That forced me to go out and purchase a Roku because Comcast seemed unable or unwilling to fix the issue after 3 months or so even with it so well documented here and elsewhere.  

Life goes on.   

Expert

@TiredRetired wrote:

I was one of the first ones in our local Comcast area to get X1.  I knew the local head technician for Comcast at that time and he was happy to see it installed in my area as it recently had the fiber upgraded.  X1 was blazingly fast at that time.  I loved it.  Then Comcast rolled out what they called X2 a bit later, but they assured us here and elsewhere it was still going to be X1 but better.  In some way it was, but then I too stated noticing how thing continued to slow down more and more over the years.  Overall, I am still happy with X1 and would never go back but the moral of the story is after all these years I think there is still lots of room for improvment.   Case in point, the so called Netflix stutter.  That forced me to go out and purchase a Roku because Comcast seemed unable or unwilling to fix the issue after 3 months or so even with it so well documented here and elsewhere.  

Life goes on.   

ion one set top box with the stutter use voice remote "about" and reply with the rest of the line that begins STB version ... 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@TiredRetired wrote:

Life goes on.   

ion one set top box with the stutter use voice remote "about" and reply with the rest of the line that begins STB version ... 

Thank you very much for the reply Rusty.  Appreciate it.  At this point I am enjoying Netflix very much with the Roku.  It handshakes well with my Sony TV so it automatically changes HDMI inputs when I select the OK button, which makes it very user friendly for wifey.  Would be nice if the X1 box did the same, but nada on that.  Netflix, on average, seems to load much faster on the Roku, picture and sound seem to be a bit better,  so that is nice.  So we are extremely happy with the way it worked out and have no need for the X1 Netflix app going forward.  I'm sure Comcast will get this all sorted out at some point in the future, but for us it was time to move on.  

Expert

@TiredRetired wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@TiredRetired wrote:

Life goes on.   

Thank you very much for the reply Rusty.  Appreciate it.  At this point I am enjoying Netflix very much with the Roku.  It handshakes well with my Sony TV so it automatically changes HDMI inputs when I select the OK button, which makes it very user friendly for wifey.  Would be nice if the X1 box did the same, but nada on that.  Netflix, on average, seems to load much faster on the Roku, picture and sound seem to be a bit better,  so that is nice.  So we are extremely happy with the way it worked out and have no need for the X1 Netflix app going forward.  I'm sure Comcast will get this all sorted out at some point in the future, but for us it was time to move on.  

I felt the same way but with more 'practice' i really like the X1 netflix interface more than the Roku now. the stuttering (based on posts i've read) seem to be caused by use of the DOCSIS modem in the DVR by other companion set top boxes. It would seem to be a QoS issue of the internal modem software. When xg2 devides are swapped into the mix (and companions then rebooted to use the XG2) the DVR set top box seems to quit the stutering. Nothing about this so far from Comcast.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

It has slowed down lately. Last summer, X1 DVR buttons responded quickly, whether on the master box or on an XiD or Xi5. Now it takes a second or two to start or stop fast forward. This makes zipping past commercials a lot harder. I wonder if they've migrated some of the control functions into the cloud, though there is still local storage.

Silver Problem Solver

@fgoldstein wrote:

It has slowed down lately. Last summer, X1 DVR buttons responded quickly, whether on the master box or on an XiD or Xi5. Now it takes a second or two to start or stop fast forward. This makes zipping past commercials a lot harder. I wonder if they've migrated some of the control functions into the cloud, though there is still local storage.

Have you tried new batteries in the remote?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

Hi, fgoldstein. Thanks for the feedback. We haven't received any communication that any control functions have been migrated, or anything of that nature. Our X1 service and platform is working well and as expected for most of our customers overall. If yours seems to be slow and you're experiencing problems with the functionality of it, getting a technician out is still going to be the recommended route. Let us know if you would like us to schedule that for you.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.