Community Forum

Improper Comcast installation?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Improper Comcast installation?

Would appreciate anyone's insight.

Two years ago we signed up for the triple play. We previously had Xfinity voice and internet, but after Directv was bought out by ATT and their service went to the dogs, we switched. The install tech used the existing cabling though, including putting the distribution connector for the four boxes (a dvr and three extra boxes) and their cables on the roof where the Dtv splitter was - at the dish. Our home never had one in the basement -  the logical place - nor did it have a cable system pre-installed to all logical rooms. 

Recently we had a tech come to our house to troubleshoot a situation in which all of our local Chicago stations would only be viewable on our main box - an XG1V4. The other three boxes could not tune to the local HD feed from NBC, ABC, FOX, PBS, etc. We would get the error message "sorry we're having trouble on our end, try tuning away, blah blah blah..." error code XRE-03059. When he asked to look at the "box", his face went pale when I told him where the TV signal splitter was. He said there is no way he can look at those cables - that Comcast doesn't allow their techs to climb on roofs. This tells me the original installer is at fault. I was informed I would have to hire a contractor to run new cables, that Comcast would not do it. Is this true???

Anyway, knowing how the network works, either the signal is too weak, the splitter/interconnect device on the roof is failing, or the XG1v4 is at fault. Well, since all other channels are fine on all 4 boxes, and we can view our recordings and apps fine on all 4 boxes, the culprit HAS to be the incoming signal of just those channels (182-194) from Comcast. Yesterday I received a phone call from a tech supervisor stating they had been working on some of their equipment in the area and found a signal fluctuation with the reception at their end of all of the local HD broadcasts, and that it was fixed. So yesterday all of those channels worked. NOT SO FAST!

Today, they are all not working again, but still viewable only on our XG1 (not on our three additional boxes).

Two final questions for anyone willing to help:

1. What other reason could there be for this issue?

2. Why would a technician install the distribution device that connects all the cables outside where it is exposed to the elements? Shouldn't he have run new cabling and installed a box and its equipment inside???

Thanks in advance!

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Improper Comcast installation?

What’s happened is having the splitter on the roof it’s exposed to all the elements. That error code is a tuning error, your three boxes are getting their channels from communicating with the main box. How far over on the roof is that splitter? It’s true that techs aren’t allowed on roofs for safety reasons and the install tech should have notified on the same instructions to have an electrician run lines from that point instead of completing your install. My guess would be that splitter and possibly the lines are corroded from water. House cables get re-used all the time, same as if you were to go back to direct tv, they wouldn’t run new cables either.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thanks.

Do you have any thoughts as to why they are crystal clear one day, and pixelating the next, without any change in the weather? And why it is only this narrow band of channels, with all other channels working fine?

I'll have to check and see if the device and cables are accessible frome the roof edge (no climbing necessary, except for up the ladder...)

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Channels come in on different frequencies and it’s possible the signal levels are right on the edge between working and not working. And if there is corrosion it may be affecting those frequencies (and maybe others you don’t get).

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!