Community Forum

If I take out gateway, will MOCA still connect the boxes?

Frequent Visitor

If I take out gateway, will MOCA still connect the boxes?

We have X1 with triple play, one master DVR box and three subsidiary boxes (two XiD-Cs, one larger Arris). This was all installed with a Technicolor CMG4140 Wireless Gateway. Originally one of the boxes was an Xi5. It worked until recently, but a change in CMG firmware took away my ability to control the channel. Comcast WiFi devices are all fixed on "Auto" now, which means the boxes don't know what works, and it shifted to a channel too noisy to support the Xi5 (on a different floor of the house). Fortunately, an old piece of coax came back to life and with no Xi5s we no longer need the Comcast WiFi at all.

(Pro tip to Comcast:  You rolled a truck and had to swap equipment because you made a dumb change to only support "auto" frequency assignment, which doesn't know which channel works best where the Xi5 is. Never trust "auto" frequency setting.)

I have my own router/AP, and want to keep control of my Internet and WiFi. So I'd like to flush the CMG and put in an Arris or Netgear cable modem/EMTA, which would feed my MikroTik router. Comcast's phone support thinks this will work. But when I disconnected the CMG from the coax, the XiD cable boxes failed. The CMG appears to be the MOCA hub.

So if I return the CMG and only use my own cable modem/EMTA, will the MOCA still work for the cable boxes? If so, what do I do to make it work (since it failed when briefly testing)? Or does X1 depend on its own hub (the CMG) and you can't use the XiDs without blasting XFInitiWiFI on the CMG's choice of frequencies? Or do I need a third-party MOCA hub to accompany the non-Comcast cable modem? Thanks.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: If I take out gateway, will MOCA still connect the boxes?

If I read your post correctly, yes it will work. I use my own modem (Arris) and my own router (Luxul) with X1 boxes and it works fine.

The X1 boxes set up the MOCA network they need, assuming everything is wired correctly within your house.
Diamond Problem Solver

Adding...after removing gateway, reset all your X1 equipment to establish Moca connection.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Expert

@fgoldstein wrote:

We have X1 with triple play, one master DVR box and three subsidiary boxes (two XiD-Cs, one larger Arris). This was all installed with a Technicolor CMG4140 Wireless Gateway. Originally one of the boxes was an Xi5. It worked until recently, but a change in CMG firmware took away my ability to control the channel. Comcast WiFi devices are all fixed on "Auto" now, which means the boxes don't know what works, and it shifted to a channel too noisy to support the Xi5 (on a different floor of the house). Fortunately, an old piece of coax came back to life and with no Xi5s we no longer need the Comcast WiFi at all.

(Pro tip to Comcast:  You rolled a truck and had to swap equipment because you made a dumb change to only support "auto" frequency assignment, which doesn't know which channel works best where the Xi5 is. Never trust "auto" frequency setting.)

I have my own router/AP, and want to keep control of my Internet and WiFi. So I'd like to flush the CMG and put in an Arris or Netgear cable modem/EMTA, which would feed my MikroTik router. Comcast's phone support thinks this will work. But when I disconnected the CMG from the coax, the XiD cable boxes failed. The CMG appears to be the MOCA hub.

So if I return the CMG and only use my own cable modem/EMTA, will the MOCA still work for the cable boxes? If so, what do I do to make it work (since it failed when briefly testing)? Or does X1 depend on its own hub (the CMG) and you can't use the XiDs without blasting XFInitiWiFI on the CMG's choice of frequencies? Or do I need a third-party MOCA hub to accompany the non-Comcast cable modem? Thanks.

What is the model number of the 'larger Arris' set top box? 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

The STB that replaced the Xi5 is an XG2v2-P.  Its MAC Address identifies it as Arris, and  the label identifies it as a Pace PX022ANM. Arris bought Pace a couple of years ago. My previous experience with a Pace STB was not good. From what I can tell this model is able to be a master box, and has its own tuners, but in our case uses the master box DVR.

Gold Problem Solver

Yes Arris bought Pace. In the case of the XG2 I highly doubt it matters.

Yes the XG2 apparently has the ability to be a cloud only DVR but Comcast has yet to offer that ability, at least on a wide level.

As I mentioned previously, be careful what you wish for. Cloud DVR has terrible picture quality and offers only stereo audio.
Frequent Visitor

I have no interest in "cloud DVR". We have a "master" box (I don't recall the model) with 6 tuners and plenty of DVR capability, and the other boxes share its recording. So we can start watching a show in one room and move to the other. It's a nice X1 feature when X1 works... I just want to be sure that it'll still work without the Wireless Gateway.

Diamond Problem Solver

Unless you have a wireless box, you’re good

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!