Community Forum

I'd like native resolution on the XG1V4 box

Regular Visitor

I'd like native resolution on the XG1V4 box

I'd like to have my TV do the upscaling and I have the XG1V4 box which does not seem to have this opiotn. What is the resolution you send to this box so I set it to that resolution and let my TV do the upscaling? 

Also I'd like to request that you add a feature to allow native/pass-thru resolution.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: I'd like native resolution on the XG1V4 box

@Nekdmann wrote:

I'd like to have my TV do the upscaling and I have the XG1V4 box which does not seem to have this opiotn. What is the resolution you send to this box so I set it to that resolution and let my TV do the upscaling? 

Also I'd like to request that you add a feature to allow native/pass-thru resolution.

There is no 4k content delivered by the X1 system EXCEPT for Netflix and you have to pay Netlix extra for it.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@Nekdmann wrote:

What type of television: brand, model, smart?, UHD,size screen, are you using with the V4 DVR?

Since there is essentially no 4K coming from Comcast linear cable, leaving the box set at 720P would likely work best. Then you will have to know how to use your television's menues to provide the best video when up-scaled, and same for audio settings.

You may find using the television's built-in apps will work best for IPV viewing in: 1080p, 1440p, and 2160p, for now.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

I've got a Sony XBR75Z9F. It's 75 inch and converts everything to 4k. My preference would be to have the v4 with an option that allows you to pass through whatever resolution the box receives without it doing any scaling/conversion.

Silver Problem Solver

@Nekdmann wrote:

I've got a Sony XBR75Z9F. It's 75 inch and converts everything to 4k. My preference would be to have the v4 with an option that allows you to pass through whatever resolution the box receives without it doing any scaling/conversion.

Hmm.  I found this:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-video-display

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Visitor

Thanks, I understand that feature can be used to set a desired output resolution. However I don't want the x1 box doing the scaling for output. I want my expensive TV to do the scaling (will scale it to 4K). What the X1 box lacks is the ability to passthru the stream without any scaling. My understanding is most of the channels are 720p with the locals at 1080i. I want those passed thru as is and let my TV scale it to 4K. 

Expert

If you were using an antenna (passing through no box) you get either 1080i or 720p over the air.

So choose 720p or 1080i, or do what most people would do.

Try all options and use the one that works best. Read your television's manual and find what adjustments and setting work best for your final picture. Televisions set at default are not the best picture possible depending on the provider you might be using anywhere in the world.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

For now I've selected 1080i but still would prefer to just passthru the native resolution. What happens when I watch one of those rare 4K shows. Does the x1 downconvert to 1080i and then my TV upconverts it - that would be a shame.

@MNtundraRET wrote:

If you were using an antenna (passing through no box) you get either 1080i or 720p over the air.

Try all options and use the one that works best. Read your television's manual and find what adjustments and setting work best for your final picture. Televisions set at default are not the best picture possible depending on the provider you might be using anywhere in the world.

@MNtundraRET wrote:

Expert

If any 4K shows up and you wish to watch it, just set to 4K at that time.

If the picture looks worse than you are used to, just go back to your original choice.

For electronics, "Pass through" means a device will pass through a signal when "off". I use a 2nd adjustable RF amplifier in my motor-home for OTA signals. If additional amplification is not needed, turning it "off" passes the original amplified signal through. It saves having to remove the amplifier from coaxial when not needed. The extra amplifier was designed for long coaxial cable runs in a home for cable, or satellite  use too.

Expert

selecting 1080i destroys the advantage of 'progressive' (full image frames) in fact it degrades 720p60 by downconverting to 1080i(30) interlaced. leave the box in 1080p and upconvert from that to 4k if you wish to see upconverted image. IMO it is better to leave box in 720p and change to 4k when you are using the Netflix X1 app.

Regular Visitor

Comcast, how about a reply? There are many of us that want your box to pass through the resolution you supply to the box for each channel and let the TV upscale it.

Silver Problem Solver

@Nekdmann wrote:

Comcast, how about a reply? There are many of us that want your box to pass through the resolution you supply to the box for each channel and let the TV upscale it.

You should be able to do that with your TV.  My TV takes a 1080 signal and upscales it to 1920.

Regular Visitor

I think you mis-understand my issue. Let my try to expand on it. My understanding is that the box receives either 1080 or 720 depending on the channel. And some input (e.g. Netflix) can be 4k. I would like the box to pass any of these signals directly to my TV for up-scaling so I don't have figure out which resolution it is receiving for each channel and the manually set that on the box. 

Yes I could as I do now set everything to 1080p but that means some of the content is scaled/manipulated by the Xfinity box and my TV does a far superior job of that.

Frequent Visitor

@Nekdmann wrote:

Thanks, I understand that feature can be used to set a desired output resolution. However I don't want the x1 box doing the scaling for output. I want my expensive TV to do the scaling (will scale it to 4K). What the X1 box lacks is the ability to passthru the stream without any scaling. My understanding is most of the channels are 720p with the locals at 1080i. I want those passed thru as is and let my TV scale it to 4K. 

I would also like to have this!

With older boxes, this was available through a hidden menu.  Quality was always better for me because the TV was upscaling rather than the box.  Would be great to have that with 4K.

I can swear, more than 10 years ago when I first got HD Xfinity, the available HD channels were broadcasting in 1080i, with only one or two doing 720p.  This means Xfinity did something to save bandwith?  Back then the picture was beautiful and detailed compared to now.  

Expert

@sle39lvr wrote:

@Nekdmann wrote:

I would also like to have this!

With older boxes, this was available through a hidden menu.  Quality was always better for me because the TV was upscaling rather than the box.  Would be great to have that with 4K.

I can swear, more than 10 years ago when I first got HD Xfinity, the available HD channels were broadcasting in 1080i, with only one or two doing 720p.  This means Xfinity did something to save bandwith?  Back then the picture was beautiful and detailed compared to now.  

all cable HD channels are delivered in 720p60 from HEVC source converted to mpeg4.  1080i is not same/similar to 1080p, it is a format for projection TVs and CRT based TVs not at all good/compatible for today's flat panels that only know porgressive (p) stream handling. some local channels (like NBC) are still delivered by 1080i and all local channels are in mpeg2. the 4k TV without 'zooming' would show 720p and 1080i as a rectangle in the middle of the screen taking up 1/4 or less of the screen.  you might want to go through video setup/optimization for the new 4k set top box while streaming 4k from netflix - they have some test pattern videos available. once you have that set as best you can or by using a service to professionally set up the video, then toggle the video from 720 to 4k only when watching 4k and back to 720p60 when not watching. then your set top box will be able to do the job of upscaling.

New Poster

1080 IS 1920. It’s 1920 x 1080. 720 is 1280 x 720.
Gold Problem Solver

Just chiming in here. Yes I would like to have the option to set the box to native resolution but I think Comcast is headed in a different direction.

I think X1 boxes look best when set to 1080p.

The XG1V4 when set to 4K is a minor disaster and looks much better when set to 1080p.
Contributor

Like my roamio does right now I think this is an important option to add if it's doable via a software update.
Now that we are getting some games in 4k I don't want to be switching back and forth on resolutions. Allow us to at least select 1080 and 2160 so the xg1v4 defaults to 1080p until you watch content like the college games yesterday.
Regular Contributor

I agree it should have the option to deliver content at its native resolution and let the TV upscale it since high end TVs will probably do a better job.   It's probably not likely to happen though since older DVRs had it and it has been taken away - that probably means some TVs don't handle it well and they got a lot of customer support calls.

But, once I got everything adjusted correctly I have been pretty happy with xg1v4 set at its highest output resolution which is necessary if you want anything at 4k with HDR.

Expert

@lesmikesell wrote:

I agree it should have the option to deliver content at its native resolution and let the TV upscale it since high end TVs will probably do a better job.   It's probably not likely to happen though since older DVRs had it and it has been taken away - that probably means some TVs don't handle it well and they got a lot of customer support calls.

But, once I got everything adjusted correctly I have been pretty happy with xg1v4 set at its highest output resolution which is necessary if you want anything at 4k with HDR.

the x1 set top boxes do not have nor is it planned to have native pass-through resolution.

Silver Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

@lesmikesell wrote:

the x1 set top boxes do not have nor is it planned to have native pass-through resolution.

Hmm.  I don't understand what native pass-through is.  If a channel suddenly starts broadcasting a 4K picture (if that is possible), what happens to it?  Would the STB pass it through?

And what happens with existing 4k support?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/uhd-4k-faqs

Regular Contributor

If you want any 4k at all to come through, you must configure the xg1v4 to always send 4k over the hdmi to the TV and it will upscale all 720/1080 content to 4k first - even though your expensive 4k TV may have much better upscaling and processing capabilities.  The only thing it will switch is to send 10-bit HDR color only if the content provides it.

This is probably even worse if you set it to send 1080 or use a non-4k box with a 4k tv because the 720p content will be upscaled to 1080 by the box, then to 4k by the TV, which likely will be worse than if either of them did the job in one shot.  Or if you send 720p you'll lose some resolution from anything sent as 1080.

Some of the older (not X1) DVRs had the option to pass the native content to the TV for cases where the TV had better processing.