Community Forum

How to make a tv 'mirror' another tv in the house...

New Poster

How to make a tv 'mirror' another tv in the house...

I have a small tv in my kitchen and I would like for it to 'mirror' a tv we have in the living room.  There is cable wire there but it is not 'active' and we have no box for it (the kitchen tv).  I just want to make it like a 'slave monitor'.  I understand that I can no longer split the cable from the basement as the 'cable' programming now comes from the box.  So is there a way that I can make this work (that isn't TOOOO difficult)?

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: How to make a tv 'mirror' another tv in the house...

kimnlogan wrote:

I have a small tv in my kitchen and I would like for it to 'mirror' a tv we have in the living room.  There is cable wire there but it is not 'active' and we have no box for it (the kitchen tv).  I just want to make it like a 'slave monitor'.  I understand that I can no longer split the cable from the basement as the 'cable' programming now comes from the box.  So is there a way that I can make this work (that isn't TOOOO difficult)?

I did something like what you want for a basement tv. If your living room tv is connected with hdmi, use the coax cable output on the cable box and run it to the kitchen tv. You won't get as good an image as the hdmi, but its ok for just keeping up with a show while in a different room.

Gold Problem Solver

You need to figure out where the other end of the "non active" line goes to.

Also if you are expecting the slave TV to be HD there will be more to it.
New Poster

The nonactive line goes to the basement but isn't hooked up to the incoming cable (and can't be as we are already at our limit).  Don't need HD ... just something to watch while I'm cooking dinner and such

New Poster

Thanks... I guess it's just a matter of figuring out how to get it there.... it's about 30feet and 2 rooms away... certainly don't want it dragged through the house so back through the floors again maybe.  

Official Employee

kimnlogan wrote:

It would depend on what wiring you have and the access available in your house to tie into the kitchen outlet from the living room. You would need to be able to run a cable from the inactive point of the kitchen, to the living room.

Expert

adding...

there are plans that include the equipment so that you can get a secondary box that works just like having the DVR in that room. companion boxes at full retail are just $9.95/month at retail.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Regular Contributor

if all you want is for the smaller tv to display what is showing on the tv in the living room, you may be able to use an HDMI switch that has multiple output ports. 

kimnlogan wrote:

Gold Problem Solver

I think you mean a HDMI splitter not a switch...

Two problems with this:

1. Very few people have HDMI cables running between rooms and adding one in existing construction could be very difficult.

2. HDMI cables do not always work reliably in long runs. HDMI was originally designed for cable lengths of no more than 10 meters.

I have a friend that is doin exactly what the OP is trying to do. He has an older Sony TV in his kitchen. He uses the RF output on his X1 DVR and sets the TV in the kitchen to channel 3. The audio is a little out of sync but it works.

I want to help wrote:

if all you want is for the smaller tv to display what is showing on the tv in the living room, you may be able to use an HDMI switch that has multiple output ports. 

kimnlogan wrote:

New Poster

That’s a terrible solution
Official Employee

Year old thread closed.