Community Forum

How much energy does the X1 set top box use?

Regular Contributor

How much energy does the X1 set top box use?

Does anyone know how many watts per hour the new X1 cable box uses? I'm a bit concerned, since it never seems to sleep, and the fans are running constantly. 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: How much energy does the X1 set top box use?

there is an x1 thread right above your post you should post there.  comcast boxes are never off even when off.

Regular Contributor

helpful response rog286713. 

Silver Problem Solver

thank you.  like I said on or off the same power.

The NRDC's data picks the Motorola DCH70 as the best standard-def box (sucking down 10W while active, and 10W while on standby), the Pace RNG110 as the best high-def box (13W active, 12W standby), and the Motorola DCX3400 as the best HD/DVR (29W active, 28W standby).

Regular Contributor

Nice to know, but still does not tell me how much the new X1 boxe uses. I see on the bottom that it claims 4.3 amps and 15 volts maximum. That would translate into about 65 watts, it its running full out all the time.

That's pretty bad. Its amazing that such a box can come out in this energy star day and age.

At any rate, no one seems to have measured the actual energy usage of these cutting edge X1 boxes, so I just ordered a killowatt and will post the results when I have them. I'm hopeful that it is not really pulling its max rating all the time, but the constant fan noise makes me converned that it is.

Regular Contributor

OK, I plugged in a killowatt meter...and the answer is...the X1 box uses about 30 watts, whether on or off. For point of reference, my 42 inch LCD TV uses about 95 watts...but of course it is not on 24/7. 

Its really amazing that comcast has not figured out a way to get a low energy mode going with these boxes...even PC"s can now be set up to wake on demand for software downloads and such....

Valued Contributor

Maybe Comcast will implement a spin down mode to these boxes like they did with the SA/Cisco/Motorola boxes.

New Poster

Was spin down a feature they added after launch?
New Poster

I plugged my new box into a Kill-A-Watt today.  I have a brand new X1 or X2 or whatever it's now called, the cloud version.  Anyhow, the box drew 30w while on and dropped to 27w when off.  I'm guessing the 27w is likely due to the internal modem constantly running along with the fans.  The fans are, in my opinion, obnoxiously loud and need to be addressed in the next version.  I'm also not very happy about the 27w draw in standby mode.  That equates to approximately $4.50 per month if you never even turn it on!!!  My math is based on 23 cent/kilowatt hour which is what we're paying this season on cape cod (9 cents supply plus 13 cents delivery).  Factoring in a few hours of TV per day and the box alone will run us about $60/year.  I think that's a high.  My 55" LG LED TV drew just 65w while on and between 0 and 1w while in standby mode.  

Problem Solver

Good points, and you've opened my eyes to electricity costs by device.  I found this handy cost calculator that confirms your findings:  http://www.handymath.com/cgi-bin/electric.cgi?submit=Entry

One thing I'll mention is that electric rates are widely variable across the country.  In my area, the first 600 kWh costs 0.09 and the next 400 costs 0.11, so your are obviously in a much more expensive area than I.

The cable boxes are not manufacured by Comcast but are designed to their specs.  Perhaps Pace and/or Arris will someday create an "Energy Star" compliant device.  And perhaps your post here will find it's way to them from Comcast.

New Poster

Bob, I would urge you to double check your electric bill.  It sounds like you are quoting your supply side costs only.  9 cents is a fairly common supply price nowadays.  However, you likely have a delivery portion of your bill on top of that.  My new bill just came in and is 11.7 cents for delivery, down from 13 last month and my supply is 9.3 cents.  Total cost is 21 cents.  So my cost to run the box for this month will be $4.53.  If you are paying just 9 cents for electricity, you have the best deal in the country!

Here's my math:

30 watt box running 24hrs/day = 720 watts per day X 30 days/month = 21,600 watts/month  /1000 = 21.6 kilowatt hours of usage per month X  21 cents per kWh =  $4.53 per month

Problem Solver

Monomoy wrote:

Bob, I would urge you to double check your electric bill.  It sounds like you are quoting your supply side costs only.  9 cents is a fairly common supply price nowadays.  However, you likely have a delivery portion of your bill on top of that.  My new bill just came in and is 11.7 cents for delivery, down from 13 last month and my supply is 9.3 cents.  Total cost is 21 cents.  So my cost to run the box for this month will be $4.53.  If you are paying just 9 cents for electricity, you have the best deal in the country!

Here's my math:

30 watt box running 24hrs/day = 720 watts per day X 30 days/month = 21,600 watts/month  /1000 = 21.6 kilowatt hours of usage per month X  21 cents per kWh =  $4.53 per month

I believe I am in fact fortunate to live in one of the least expensive electrical areas in the USA (Bellevue WA).  I don't know all the details, but I believe it's because we benefit from a great deal of hydroelectic power.  Here is a link to my current residential rate sheet:  http://pse.com/aboutpse/Rates/Documents/elec_sch_007.pdf

The current rates in that PDF are actually a bit lower than I mentioned earilier (down to 0.085578 from 0.091414).  My bill does not have anything like a "delivery" charge, but does have a monthly "basic charge" and miscellaneous credits and taxes.  The electric "energy charges" for my house average about $25 a month (about $31.a month total).  Of course, I also have a gas furnace and water heater, which costs about the same each month (no A/C here, not needed).

My monthly total gas and electric bill has never exceeded $80 in twenty years, for which I feel lucky.  When I lived in North Carolina, my bill was never that low on any month, and was as high as $300 in the summer because of A/C.  It may rain often, but you can't beat the weather!  But don't worry, they make it up by hitting you with very high sales taxes on almost everything. 

New Poster

Wow!!  That is amazingly low compared to the northeast.  and btw, our sales tax is 6.25%

So yes, the X1 box is less expensive and more reasonable for you to run due to lower rates. That said, much of the nation pays higher rates and regardless, my belief is that a cable box that sucks up approx 720 watts per day is simply too much.  Whether your concern is a hit to the wallet, environmental impacts, or energy/carbon footprint....it's a lot of wattage for the box you need to watch cable TV....even if you're not watching TV!!!

Problem Solver

Monomoy wrote:

Wow!!  That is amazingly low compared to the northeast.  and btw, our sales tax is 6.25%

So yes, the X1 box is less expensive and more reasonable for you to run due to lower rates. That said, much of the nation pays higher rates and regardless, my belief is that a cable box that sucks up approx 720 watts per day is simply too much.  Whether your concern is a hit to the wallet, environmental impacts, or energy/carbon footprint....it's a lot of wattage for the box you need to watch cable TV....even if you're not watching TV!!!

Yes, I agree that we are fortunate to have low electrical rates around here.  But don't worry, there are many conservation initiatives out here on the left coast.  A local architect designed what they claim to be the "greenest office building" in the world:  http://www.bullittcenter.org/.  It's a really interesting concept, although initially expensive.

But before folks start rushing to move here, my sales tax rate is 9.5% and applies to everything except groceries.  My home property tax is just under 1% a year (about $3,000) and they have recently begun charging a toll to cross the bridge into Seatlle (about $4 each way).  I still love it here, especially the climate.

Anyway, sorry to go so far off topic; now back to our sponsors!  I'm struggling to use that new Olypmics app on X1.  It crashed this morning with an odd error that resulted in a frozen image (while the audio continued with what I think were commercials).  I had to reboot the box, the first time I had to do such a thing since I got the X1.  So for now, I'll stick to watching the live broadcast in CBC Vancouver (another benefit of being in the Seattle area).