Community Forum

How many channels can the X1 platform record at once?

New Poster

How many channels can the X1 platform record at once?

Can someone just please tell me how many channels you're supposed to be able to record at one time on the new X1 platform.  I've searched the web page and most of here and can't find the answer to that simple question.

Thanks.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: How many channels can the X1 platform record at once?

It can currently record up to 4 items ast the same time. The ads can be confusing because they also sometimes mention that you can watch a 5th, which means watch an existing recording.

 

I think the boxes physically have 6 tuners, but only 4 are currently supported. Basically, anything dealing with up to 4 'live' items (viewing or recording) is the current max.

Problem Solver

Re: How many channels can the X1 platform record at once?


andyross wrote:

It can currently record up to 4 items ast the same time. The ads can be confusing because they also sometimes mention that you can watch a 5th, which means watch an existing recording.

 

I think the boxes physically have 6 tuners, but only 4 are currently supported. Basically, anything dealing with up to 4 'live' items (viewing or recording) is the current max.


I've seen and recall expriencing you should be able to watch (but not record) a 5th live show while 4 are recording.

Frequent Visitor

Re: How many channels can the X1 platform record at once?

Then why can I only record two.
I just had X1 installed and was told by the installer I can only record two. He had no info as to when this would be upgraded.
When I signed up all the commercials and sales said four.
Naples area 34114
Frequent Visitor

Re: How many channels can the X1 platform record at once?

Had a repairman over for another issue.
He said my installer was wrong, so I tried it.
Able to record 4 and now watching a 5th.
😄
Contributor

Re: How many channels can the X1 platform record at once?

Smiley Sad


tg17 wrote:
Had a repairman over for another issue.
He said my installer was wrong, so I tried it.
Able to record 4 and now watching a 5th.
😄

 

I was trying to record three things tonight while watching a fourth. Machine crashed and rebooted. Now I'm recording none and watching none. Thanks Comcast. 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: How many channels can the X1 platform record at once?

X1 DVRs have six tuners. Five are active. Four can record while one remains available for live TV. In most Comcast markets you can have up to three DVRs if you wish. I have three.

It should be noted that the new Xi3 Companion box "steals" one of the  X1 DVR tuners when watching TV.

New Poster

Re: How many channels can the X1 platform record at once?

Spoke to Comcast technical support for X1 today thier are several ways you can have your box set up so the number of tuners available change based on your choices.

1. Record 4 HD recordings watch 3 televisons live (2 remote + 1 main box) BUT only main box will pause live action.

2. Record 4 HD recordings but for every remote box you choose to have the ability to pause live TV you will loose 1 HD programing ability.

3. I did not ask if you can have more than 1 main x1 box but if you did you would not be able to access to the anyroom feature since you are recording on a seperate box. This might not be to bad if they allow it under certain circumstances for example two people could have 4 redordings and share programs and the the third person could be alone to record 4 shows of ther own and not share. I am not sure Comcast would allow this as it might require 2 accounts 1 for each main box.  

Silver Problem Solver

Re: How many channels can the X1 platform record at once?


fchet1 wrote:

Spoke to Comcast technical support for X1 today thier are several ways you can have your box set up so the number of tuners available change based on your choices.

1. Record 4 HD recordings watch 3 televisons live (2 remote + 1 main box) BUT only main box will pause live action.

2. Record 4 HD recordings but for every remote box you choose to have the ability to pause live TV you will loose 1 HD programing ability.

3. I did not ask if you can have more than 1 main x1 box but if you did you would not be able to access to the anyroom feature since you are recording on a seperate box. This might not be to bad if they allow it under certain circumstances for example two people could have 4 redordings and share programs and the the third person could be alone to record 4 shows of ther own and not share. I am not sure Comcast would allow this as it might require 2 accounts 1 for each main box.  


That is for the Xi3 companion.

 

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/17774

 

If you get the RNG150 companion, you can record four programs while watching live TV.  The RNG150 doesn't use a DVR tuner to play live TV.


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Contributor

Re: How many channels can the X1 platform record at once?

In some areas, comcast does have xfinity X1 Anyroom Multi DVR's. so you could record up to 4 shows per x1 dvr.

 

that is the only way you can have more then one X1 DVR on the same account.

 

I just had this installed last Friday.

 

i have 3 Xg1 pace DVR's and 1 Xie pace HDMI Box.  these are the new companion boxes that do not have a built in tuner. so it takes 1 of the 12 recording tuners that I have from the 3 MoCa networked AR DVR's.

 

It uses a whole house recording system to control all recordings.  when you set a recording, it will select what DVR, the program to be recorded, will be recording on.  your HDD space of all DVR's are pooled together.  all devices will see the saved recordings and the recordings schedualed to be recorded.

 

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-whole-home-scheduling-faqs

 

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-anyrroom-dvr-multiple-players

 

hope that helps.  I love this system, and with the cloud dvr space, it gives me 1.5tb hdd and 1.5tb cloud space...

 

my install story is posted on dslreports.

 

lol

 

 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: How many channels can the X1 platform record at once?

Please save me some time and post the link to dslreports.


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Gold Problem Solver

Re: How many channels can the X1 platform record at once?

You do realize the 1.5gb of cloud storage is not "additional" storage. It is a mirror image of what is stored on your three DVRs...

You have 1.5gb of storage, not 3gb...

FYI the concept of multiple X1 DVRs is not new. I have had three for 1.5 years now...

 


scan-pa wrote:

In some areas, comcast does have xfinity X1 Anyroom Multi DVR's. so you could record up to 4 shows per x1 dvr.

 

that is the only way you can have more then one X1 DVR on the same account.

 

I just had this installed last Friday.

 

i have 3 Xg1 pace DVR's and 1 Xie pace HDMI Box.  these are the new companion boxes that do not have a built in tuner. so it takes 1 of the 12 recording tuners that I have from the 3 MoCa networked AR DVR's.

 

It uses a whole house recording system to control all recordings.  when you set a recording, it will select what DVR, the program to be recorded, will be recording on.  your HDD space of all DVR's are pooled together.  all devices will see the saved recordings and the recordings schedualed to be recorded.

 

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-whole-home-scheduling-faqs

 

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-anyrroom-dvr-multiple-players

 

hope that helps.  I love this system, and with the cloud dvr space, it gives me 1.5tb hdd and 1.5tb cloud space...

 

my install story is posted on dslreports.

 

lol

 

 


 

Regular Visitor

Re: How many channels can the X1 platform record at once?

As I type I am recording 5 shows.


philipcmerritt wrote:

Can someone just please tell me how many channels you're supposed to be able to record at one time on the new X1 platform.  I've searched the web page and most of here and can't find the answer to that simple question.

Thanks.


 

Expert

Re: How many channels can the X1 platform record at once?


LMEarley wrote:

As I type I am recording 5 shows.


philipcmerritt wrote:

Can someone just please tell me how many channels you're supposed to be able to record at one time on the new X1 platform.  I've searched the web page and most of here and can't find the answer to that simple question.

Thanks.


 


but you can record 6 if you have other than a pace version 1 DVR. All the reset have all 6 tuners active.


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Frequent Visitor

Re: How many channels can the X1 platform record at once?

Just got the new X1 HD (non-dvr) boxes...not sure of the model but they can pause rewind and all that good stuff on the non-DVR tvs. they connect directly to the MAIN X1 DVR (i assume this is what is taking the tuners but was never told that)..but now I can only record TWO shows at once on the DVR..can not watch Live tv while they are recording or any on demand...so with the NEW boxes I lose the abilty to record more than two channnels at once...Very dissabpointing!  I may just bring them back and get the older ones..I would rather have the ability to record more than to pause and rewind on my non-DVR TVs.

 

I have one X1 HD-DVR

3 X1 Non DVR HD boxes

 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: How many channels can the X1 platform record at once?


leogetz8888 wrote:

Just got the new X1 HD (non-dvr) boxes...not sure of the model but they can pause rewind and all that good stuff on the non-DVR tvs. they connect directly to the MAIN X1 DVR (i assume this is what is taking the tuners but was never told that)..but now I can only record TWO shows at once on the DVR..can not watch Live tv while they are recording or any on demand...so with the NEW boxes I lose the abilty to record more than two channnels at once...Very dissabpointing!  I may just bring them back and get the older ones..I would rather have the ability to record more than to pause and rewind on my non-DVR TVs.

 

I have one X1 HD-DVR

3 X1 Non DVR HD boxes

 


 

A couple of observations.... if the Xi3's are powered down, they release the tuner from the DVR.

 

Yes, you can look into using the rng150s or possibly the XG2 if they are available which in both cases have thier own onboard tuner(s).  Thereby giving you back the maximum available tuners in which to record with.



The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: How many channels can the X1 platform record at once?

Just an FYI, I chose the XG2 over the Xi3 because it wouldn't use my DVR's tuners.

 

The XG2 is larger than the Xi3, which might make a differece to some people.  I already had room for the RNG150, which I replaced.


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

Re: How many channels can the X1 platform record at once?

So they "Upgrade" my boxes but do not tell me I would loose the tuners.  You say if the boxes are powered down they do not take a tuner...well the only way to power them down is to unplug them.  I tried unplgging one box last night while two shows were recording and still could not change the channel.  Maybe I did not wait long enough but just not going to unplug these boxes each time there are two shows recording.  Also what happens if there are more than two shows recording or now that I have these "new" boxes I can no longer record more than two shows?

One step forward two steps back.  I will be returning these boxes.  

Silver Problem Solver

Re: How many channels can the X1 platform record at once?

You don't have to power the box off; you just have to turn the TV off.

 

If you are taking Xi3 boxes back, see if you can trade them for XG2's.  I have two DVR's that do recording with a total of eight channels, six if I am watching TV on both at the same time.  My three XG2's each have four tuners, so they don't use any tuners from my DVR's.  I replaced my RNG150's, which had one tuner each.

 

Xi3 uses XG1 Tuners version 1.jpg

 

 


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Official Employee
Moved:

Re: How many channels can the X1 platform record at once?

New Poster

Re: How many channels can the X1 platform record at once?

I can record 5 shows and everyone can watch something different on X1 platform
New Poster

Re: How many channels can the X1 platform record at once?

I accidently had 6 programs set to record last night and it recorded all 6! I thought it could only record 5 at a time but all 6 recorded. I'm assuming 6 is the absolute max now. My Xfinity cable service comes from Johnson City, Tennessee.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: How many channels can the X1 platform record at once?

You can record six as long as you are watching one of the six. If you want to watch a live channel that is not being recorded then you can record five.

However you can always rent additional X1 DVRs if you feel you need to record more channels. I don't recall even recording more than four at one time.