Community Forum

How can I program XR5 remote to control TV on/off and volume?

New Poster

How can I program XR5 remote to control TV on/off and volume?

I've spent hours on the phone, online chat and visiting my nearest Comcast location.  I was advised by a Tech (phone) that I needed XR8 addapter for my XR5v4-u remote and PR150BNC set-top.  Went to store, they never heard of them but gave me a new remote.  Nothing changed, called again and asked for adapter, but this person told me it was a problem with my TV.  OK, tried online chat where I was told XR8s were provided by professionals only and since the remote flunked the 991 test it was no good - go get another one!!!  Sorry for being longwinded but I'm frustrated and tired of waisting my time.

Official Employee

Re: How can I program XR5 remote to control TV on/off and volume?

DelawareMary wrote:

I've spent hours on the phone, online chat and visiting my nearest Comcast location.  I was advised by a Tech (phone) that I needed XR8 addapter for my XR5v4-u remote and PR150BNC set-top.  Went to store, they never heard of them but gave me a new remote.  Nothing changed, called again and asked for adapter, but this person told me it was a problem with my TV.  OK, tried online chat where I was told XR8s were provided by professionals only and since the remote flunked the 991 test it was no good - go get another one!!!  Sorry for being longwinded but I'm frustrated and tired of waisting my time.

Hi DelawareMary,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems getting the XR5 remote to work with your TV. If you are just trying to pair your XR5 to the TV and control the On/Off + Volume, you should not need an XR8 adapter. The XR8 adapter is used to allow you to pair the remote to the RNG150 Set-Top-Box via RF instead of IR. 

What brand of TV set do you have? You can find the remote codes for the XR5 here - http://customer.xfinity.com/remotes

You can also find a user guide for the XR5 here, if you need the steps for pairing it. http://www.xfinity.com/~/media/16CF2D4E79944A9C994CBDD250745A07.ashx

To program the remote to your TV, hold the "Setup" button until the light at the top of the remote goes from Red to Green, then type in your 5 digit TV remote code that you got from the /remotes website. Once you've done that, it should pair. If the first listed code for your TV doesn't work, try the next one.

Let me know if you still have trouble, I'd be happy to help.

-Nick

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Gold Problem Solver

The XR8 has nothing to do with programming an XR5 to control your TV. That is different. http://customer.xfinity.com/remotes

OK, yes you need the XR8 adapter IF you are trying to place the RNG-150 box out of sight. If you are not placing the RNG-150 out of sight you do not need the XR8 but you will need to point the remote.

At one point you could get an XR8 here: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/XR8-Adaptors/td-p/2470728/page/3 but Comcast Neal is no longer responding so his supply may have dried up.

DelawareMary wrote:

Gold Problem Solver

What kind of TV do you have? The Comcast remotes work with MOST TVs but not ALL TVs...

DelawareMary wrote: