Community Forum

Hooking a surround sound receiver up to X1 dvr cable box

New Poster

Hooking a surround sound receiver up to X1 dvr cable box

How do I set up a surround sound receiver to a X1 dvr cable box. It seems like all the connections are correct but all we see is a black screen. If the connections were wrong it would say no signal but it doesn't say that. Thanks.

Regular Visitor

Re: Hooking a surround sound receiver up to X1 dvr cable box

My tech did it through the remote.  Surround is controlled by X-1 remote.  Not sure how he did it but someone at Xfinity should be able to give you instructions. 

Gold Problem Solver

Please post the EXACT model numbers of the TV and "surround sound receiver" you have. Also please trace and tell us how things are connected.

The Comcast XR2 remote may or may not control the system without using other remotes. Once again, we would need to know model numbers.

You can always call into Comcast and have a tech come out.

hsgibbs21 wrote:

How do I set up a surround sound receiver to a X1 dvr cable box. It seems like all the connections are correct but all we see is a black screen. If the connections were wrong it would say no signal but it doesn't say that. Thanks.

Silver Problem Solver

I have my TV and my X1 DVR connected to my receiver with HDMI cables.  The TV is connected to the receiver's TV out.

The DVR is connected to the receiver's cable in.  You have to use the DVR's HDMI out port.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Expert

hsgibbs21 wrote:

first thing is to hook up coax cable between tv and DVR. that way you can see if the dvr is putting out a signal at all.

next would be to hook up (temporarily) an HDMI cable from DVR to the TV. change input on tv to that 'HDMI' input. If all is working there..next step is to verify that the receiver's HDMI output/passthru is working. first verify it is on and that the HDMI cable going from TV to the receiver is connected (and where connected on TV). Change your TV input to the HDMI connector port the receiver is plugged into and verify you are getting a signal (for example from a dvd player) to the TV from the receiver. then if successful change 'input' of receiver to the iinput used by the DVR. when you have done that the TV should have a picture. 

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
New Poster

Just had comcast come out. X1 box would not boot up when hooked up it thru Pioneer SC25. HDMI from X1 to reciever. Reciever to TV. When taken the HDMI direct to TV the box will boot up. The old comcast box worked perfectly and the reciever would see 5.1. Now the reciever is hooked up thru the digital out and still no 5.1 even when putting the setting on surround.

Silver Problem Solver

That could be an EDID issue between the X1 and the receiver.  Are there any settings for that HDMI connection in the receiver?  If so, try turning them off or on.  I know nothing about your Pioneer, but my Onkyo TX-NR626 has never had that problem.  X1 before  2.0.0 would lose surround every day.  Now, it's on all the time.

The first post in this thread talks about EDID.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/X1-Audio-How-does-it-work-and-what-should-I-expect/m-p/2400405#U2400...

xtant1 wrote:

Just had comcast come out. X1 box would not boot up when hooked up it thru Pioneer SC25. HDMI from X1 to reciever. Reciever to TV. When taken the HDMI direct to TV the box will boot up. The old comcast box worked perfectly and the reciever would see 5.1. Now the reciever is hooked up thru the digital out and still no 5.1 even when putting the setting on surround.

Problem Solver

xtant1 wrote:

Hopefully this will be fixed for you shortly with 2.0 firmware that's rolling out as we speak..

Gold Problem Solver

You may have a perfect storm going on. X1 boxes are not predictable when it comes to HDMI. They have issues. Pioneer receivers are known to have HDMI issues of their own. I have two suggestions for you:

1. Check to see if Pioneer has a firmware update for your receiver. When a company like Pioneer posts and update for an AV receiver, they almost always have HDMI improvements in them.
2. You may need to wait until your X1 box gets the "2.0 firmware" update which is just beginning to roll out now. Feel free to search the forum and read up on the 2.0 update.
3. The fact that your old box worked means nothing. X1 boxes are totally different.

FYI there are older threads running in this forum (use the seach function) that discuss this in GREAT detail.

xtant1 wrote:

New Poster

Hoping for some help as well.

I just bought a Vizio 4K model M70-C3 and am trying to connect it through a Sony STR-DN850 7.2 Channel 4K AV Receiver.

I have an HDMI cable running from the X1 cable box to the receiver, then the out from the receiver to the tv....no signal detected.

When I ran the blu-ray player everything worked out fine.  

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Silver Problem Solver

kkravec wrote:

I just bought a Vizio 4K model M70-C3 and am trying to connect it through a Sony STR-DN850 7.2 Channel 4K AV Receiver.

I have an HDMI cable running from the X1 cable box to the receiver, then the out from the receiver to the tv....no signal detected.

Thank you in advance

Can you remove the receiver and go to the TV from the X1 to see if it is an issue with the receiver?

Gold Problem Solver

As previously posted, you need to check the firmware of your receiver and TV. However others have reported issues with Sony receivers. Other than bypassing the receiver, there may be no fix here.

I recall one particular forum user had to try different HDMI inputs on his Onkyo receiver. Although I have never heard of this before, this particular user claimed that not all of the HDMI inputs on his Onkyo were HDCP compatible so the X1 box was not completing the HDMI handshake.

kkravec wrote:

Thank you in advance

New Poster

You should have plenty on HDMI inputs and a single output or two. You simply plug in all your HDMI controlled devices into the back of your receivers HDMI inputs and run a single HDMI from your recievers output HDMI to your High Def T.V.

It's that simple. Don't use SPIFs (Optical or Digital Coax) there is no need to use them when you have HDMI cables.

Most people make the mistake of running several HDMI cables to there T.V when you really only need a single going to your TV HDMI input.

After you get all this hooked up you simply go thru your TVs setup which should then allow you to simply hit whatever HDMI is connected (Device Blue Ray player) is HDMI 1 on my setup.

I just hit HDMI input 1 and the TV will playback at that input via your reciever. I have a Yamaha reciever thats a 5.1 system and it works perfectly with my Yamaha Blue Ray player HDMI1 my LG Blue Ray for Netflix is HDMI 2 and my Comcast X1 input being HDMI 3.

I have a extra 4th HDMI I can select that I save for me and my buddies Playstation 4 when he brings it over.

HDMI cable need to be nice and tight so if you have sound or video problems you need to check each HDMI cable and mostly the one cable running from your recievers output to your TVs input. If that cable has any slight kinks in it you can have video or sound drops all the time.

Make sure you go into your X1 Comcast box and setup all the normal things like 1080p resolutiuon, and either stereo or surround as your audio choice.

The one thing I have yet to figure out is if surround or stereo is the best setup option for good surround sound?

I have used both and it seems as though stereo is the best to use as it's still tranfered into surround sound by your receiver anyways.

It's much eaier to hook up this way as oppsed to using several HDMI inputs that you need to select with your TV remote all the time.

This way you simply select the HDMI input of your choice with your recievers remote and use the Comcast remote for all other controls.

Official Employee

Year plus old thread closed.