Community Forum

HDMI Link option disappeared

Frequent Visitor

Re: HDMI Link option disappeared

It's ironic that using the Comcast remote, you push the power button to off and the TV turns off. There is no remote button to turn off the black-box.  All I really want to do is turn on/off the TV+blackbox with one remote control button.

Official Employee

ismaelifurung, the X1 box rarely turns off completely. It typically stays on so it can receive nightly system updates. 

KenF

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

OK, then I want a button to put X1 to stand-by, blue-light off.  As is, when I'm done watching TV, X1 continues to send signal to TV and receiver, wasting power. 

Official Employee

OK, then I want a button to put X1 to stand-by, blue-light off.  As is, when I'm done watching TV, X1 continues to send signal to TV and receiver, wasting power. 

There is a feature for this already. Please go to: 

settings-->device settings-->power down

This will power down the X1 box and turn off the blue light. Your recordings will record as normal. 

KenF

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

KenF, Oh please, I know you are trying to help, but this is ridiculous. It takes 16 clicks to turn off the X1+TV. I had to test and count.
--------------
1 click Xfinity button
3 clicks to scroll to settings
1 settings
3 clicks to Device Settings
5 clicks to scroll to Power Preferences
1 click to power down now
1 click to confirm
1 click for TV off

Official Employee

I understand. Thanks for your feedback. 

KenF

New Poster

I liked the HDMI link feature and hate that it's gone. Also, the boxes need to be updated to have more CEC control. I can power on my TV using my roku remote, or automatically switch HDMI inputs with my Roku remote. But when it's time to switch back to the HDMI input where Xfinity is connected, I either have to go through 7 other inputs to get back to Xfinity, which is very inconvenient, or use my phone for faster switching.

I also want to note that there was very brief stretch of time in which the feature worked properly and I could automatically switch inputs by pressing the xfinity button.

Frequent Visitor

What is the best way for us to let Comcast know we would like the feature back?
Official Employee

What is the best way for us to let Comcast know we would like the feature back?

Garstga, I've reached out to the X1 engineers about this possibility. 

KenF

Frequent Visitor

Is it back yet? This feature worked flawlessly with my Sony TVs, please bring it back.
New Poster

I want the feature back too, really beneficial to everyone using an audio receiver with multiple input devices such as playstation, xbox, bluray, and the comcast box which all are CEC compliant.

Frequent Visitor

I need the HDMI LINK setting restored. Since Comcast deleted the setting, my 4k dvr disconnects from my 4k samsung tv every night following the nightly reboots. Seems illogical to delete such a heavily used setting. 

Frequent Visitor

I too shake my head at the removal of such an important feature. Please bring back HDMI CEC permenatly ... 

Frequent Visitor

Have you received any response from engineers as to whether this feature will be restored?
Regular Visitor

There were som Comcast personnel that said they were going to pass along that people wanted it back, but that is all I have heard.

Frequent Visitor

Have you received any response from engineers on this?
Frequent Visitor

No I have not. It really kinda ticks me off because this isn’t rocket science.
Frequent Visitor

I contacted their ecare group to find out if they could tell us if there were any plans to bring back these features or the ability to set DVR remotely from app. In typical Comcast style here is their response:

I understand your frustration. As part of the ongoing evolution of Comcast products, features are periodically reviewed and evaluated as to whether they will be added or removed. Once a change is made, it is usually permanent. Of the features you mention, there are no current plans to restore any of them, except the remote recording feature. Unfortunately, we do not have a timeframe on when that will be available once more. Please note, your cable box cannot be completely turned off as it receives regular updates even when not in use.
New Poster

I need this feature because when I shut the TV off then turn it back on the screen (most times) says "no signal" because the cable box is still in sleep mode. So I need to cycle the power a few times to get it to kick back on and display on the TV. So I literally need to turn the TV on and off a few times to get it to work. So without this feature, I'll need to return this box for my old one.
Expert

The CEC / HDMI Link can be more trouble than it's worth. I had to turn it off on my Vizio TV because it was causing annoying sound skips on my soundbar when I have the X1 box set to 2160p60,  which also disabled the ARC connection from my TV to my soundbar, forcing me to use the optical connector. 

Fortunately I have a Harmony remote system so all my devices still turn off with a single button, save for the Comcast box. 

So while I miss the ability to turn off all devices with a single press of the remote, I wound up disabling the feature altogether because of a different reason. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I would rather have CEC/HDMI link and never use it, than need it and not have it ...
Expert

That's fine, but if it causes issues that force you to turn it off, then what good is it?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

The "annoying sound skips" have nothing to do with CEC.  The CEC feature has been gone for months and I get sound skips every day (sometimes with ~300msec of video pixelation).  This is another annoying artifact that I am not sure what exactly the culprit is but since many Infinity users I know don't experience this I chock it up to the ARRIS XG1v4

Regular Visitor

AS there are other people who might find it useful and not have an issue with it then maybe for them it would be a good thing and they would leave it on and use it.  If it did not work for some then they could disable it and that is that.

Expert

@pcsilvia wrote:

The "annoying sound skips" have nothing to do with CEC.  The CEC feature has been gone for months and I get sound skips every day (sometimes with ~300msec of video pixelation).  This is another annoying artifact that I am not sure what exactly the culprit is but since many Infinity users I know don't experience this I chock it up to the ARRIS XG1v4

Yes, it's gone from the X1 box, but as I pointed out, I had to disable it on my TV. Since I cured it by disabling CEC/ARC and using optical, obviously that was the issue. 

Whatever your other issues are with your video should be addressed in a separate thread. 

New Poster

Yet to receive any sort of response.

Expert

@pendy7 wrote:
Yet to receive any sort of response. 

Comcast Labs items come and go from teh menu.

New Poster

I am pretty sure this is not a bug. It is a intentional attemt by Xfinity to keep YOU as a user on their remote. Every other devices (apple TV, blu-ray player, etc) works with HDMI CEC where the merely action turning on the devie will wake up receiver to switch to the right input and turn on (or off) TV. 

Highlighted
Expert

@jay-bard wrote:

I am pretty sure this is not a bug. It is a intentional attemt by Xfinity to keep YOU as a user on their remote. Every other devices (apple TV, blu-ray player, etc) works with HDMI CEC where the merely action turning on the devie will wake up receiver to switch to the right input and turn on (or off) TV. 

How exactly is not having HDMI CEC an attempt to keep you on their remote? I have a third party universal remote (Harmony Hub) and it works just perfectly even with HDMI CEC support off, and I use it as my default instead of the Xfinity remote. 

In fact, any decent third party universal remote should be able to turn on/off the TV and receiver too, so I'm completely lost as to where you came up with this rationale. 

Nothing's stopping you from using your own remote instead of the Comcast one. 

Diamond Problem Solver

@jay-bard
How else are you going to change channels but with a Comcast remote? Sorry, your reasoning just doesn’t make sense

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!