Community Forum

HDMI Link option disappeared

Highlighted
New Poster

HDMI Link option disappeared

I saw a feature called HDMI Link under the Comcast Labs section so I thought I would give it a try.  It is supposed to turn off your cable box if you turn off your TV.  I activated the setting then tried it and if worked.  I decided I didn't want to leave it this way because it was on the "wife's TV" and she doesn't like changes.  🙂  When I went to turn it off, the menu item had disappeared!  I spent hours on line, in a chat session (totally worthless), then another 40 minutes working with a tech over the phone.  When we started troubleshooting, the menu item still appeared on my other two TVs but later it disappeared from both of them as well.  Unfortunatley, now I can't disable this feature on the set where I tried it out.  We did a system reset, a box reset, unplugged the HDMI, power, and cable from the small box then pluged in the power and cable and waited another 15 seconds before pluggin in the HDMI cable.  Nothing we tried was able to reset this feature on that box.  The other two boxes still work - that is, they do not power off when the TV is turned off.  Any Suggestions?  I think tomorrow, I will drive to the Comcast store and swap out this box.  Apparently there is no other fix for it.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: HDMI Link option disappeared


@ctcallaway wrote:

I saw a feature called HDMI Link under the Comcast Labs section so I thought I would give it a try.  It is supposed to turn off your cable box if you turn off your TV.  I activated the setting then tried it and if worked.  I decided I didn't want to leave it this way because it was on the "wife's TV" and she doesn't like changes.  🙂  When I went to turn it off, the menu item had disappeared!  I spent hours on line, in a chat session (totally worthless), then another 40 minutes working with a tech over the phone.  When we started troubleshooting, the menu item still appeared on my other two TVs but later it disappeared from both of them as well.  Unfortunatley, now I can't disable this feature on the set where I tried it out.  We did a system reset, a box reset, unplugged the HDMI, power, and cable from the small box then pluged in the power and cable and waited another 15 seconds before pluggin in the HDMI cable.  Nothing we tried was able to reset this feature on that box.  The other two boxes still work - that is, they do not power off when the TV is turned off.  Any Suggestions?  I think tomorrow, I will drive to the Comcast store and swap out this box.  Apparently there is no other fix for it.


did you try moving the box to another TV and then turning off the menu option?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: HDMI Link option disappeared

This happened to me also. The HDMI link feature is gone from the Comcast Labs area.  I had it turned on to power down the box when I turned off the TV.  Did Comcast just get rid of it?

It was working earlier today.

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: HDMI Link option disappeared

That feature doesn’t turn it off, it just puts the box in power saver mode( you may have to go into power save mode and turn it off there).
Features in Comcast Labs are for testing and come and go and get fine tuned all the time. It’s possible your other boxes haven’t taken that update yet

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: HDMI Link option disappeared

The HDMI Link feature overrides all of the settings in the Power Preferences settings.  I tried setting those to 8 hours and back to Off but in both cases it overrode those settings.  It appears that the box has been "programmed" by the HDMI Link option and now there is no way to reset it.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

HDMI CEC

Was this feature recently deleted? Up til a few days ago, I was able to turn off my AV system with the X1 remote. Now the X1 box stays on when I power down. There used to be a option to turn on and off the HDMI CEC in the X1 menu. I can no longer find it. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: HDMI Link option disappeared

I just started a thread about this HDMI CEC feature, then I bumped into this one. Yep, my box no longer turns off and the blue power light remains on. Also the option disappeared in the Comcast Labs Menu. 

 

These boxes do strange things. Sometimes it appears in my LG OLED Menu and then goes away. My old X1 box did this and when I got the new 4k model I was hoping this issue would go away. No luck 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: HDMI Link option disappeared


@CCAndrew wrote:
That feature doesn’t turn it off, it just puts the box in power saver mode( you may have to go into power save mode and turn it off there).
Features in Comcast Labs are for testing and come and go and get fine tuned all the time. It’s possible your other boxes haven’t taken that update yet

ComcastAndrew, this move was not a update, it was a downgrade. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: HDMI Link option disappeared

I liked this feature and now it's gone. It powers off that blue light with my remote and I didn't have to deal with that annoying "your set is about to turn off ..." since the the feature on/off/on sequence effectively resets the time counter. And since mine was set to 8hrs ... that limit was never reached. I don't have a DVR.

 

This is a downgrade. Please bring it back. It saves power too.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: HDMI CEC

Not just me. At least that's good to know. Odd thing to take away. 

Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: HDMI CEC

Hi @Skytrooper and @Jojeaux22

 

The HDMI Link setting in the Comcast Labs section of the box settings has been removed. Since the features provided in the Comcast Labs section are beta features, they may be removed at any time. Sorry for the inconvenience. 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: HDMI Link option disappeared

Just came across this thread. Setting missing on my box as well. Thought it was the cables until I just checked and realized. Problem is, the setting is half working - it turns the box off automatically but doesn't turn it on. And like someone mentioned previously, it shows up in our LG OLED Input Menu sporadically.

Comcast needs to sort this out. I had it all setup perfectly for my parents to keep it as simple as possible but this is undoing all that.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Set top box

What happened to the HDMI link that turned the set top box off and on with the tv?  Also why can't the cable signal be checked any more?  The click on for it is there, but when you try it it says it is unable to do it.

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Set top box


@Spockva wrote:

What happened to the HDMI link that turned the set top box off and on with the tv?  Also why can't the cable signal be checked any more?  The click on for it is there, but when you try it it says it is unable to do it.


https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/HDMI-Link-option-disappeared/m-p/3071596/highlight/true#M147673


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: HDMI Link option disappeared

Sort of the same as mine except my box turns on with the tv and waits two