Community Forum

HDCP enabled on Arris AX013ANM by default

New Poster

HDCP enabled on Arris AX013ANM by default

Hi,

I have a old TV that does not support HDCP. I can see this via the Arris diagnostic screen (System->HDMI Info) as well. It says my device is nonHDCPdevice.

Does this mean that HDCP is enabled by default and I need a HDCP capable TV?

OR

Is there a way to disable HDCP in the device or call-customer-support-to-disable-HDCP-for-my-connection?

Thanks

Arun

Note: I got this Arris box very recently and I am not getting video via HDMI output.

Official Employee

Re: HDCP enabled on Arris AX013ANM by default

There is no way to disable HDCP, you’ll either have to use a different way to connect your tv, component, composite or coax or change the tv.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thanks for the quick response and clarification.

Here is one puzzling thing..

4 to 6 weeks back - I was able to view HD channels via HDMI connection. I have been doing that using a DVR enabled comcast-device for atleast 1 to 2 years.

Did Comcast recently ENFORCE/ENABLE HDCP check for all customers subscribed to HDTV channels w/ DVR? or it was always enabled?     Thanks !!

Expert

@marvin42 wrote:

Thanks for the quick response and clarification.

Here is one puzzling thing..

4 to 6 weeks back - I was able to view HD channels via HDMI connection. I have been doing that using a DVR enabled comcast-device for atleast 1 to 2 years.

Did Comcast recently ENFORCE/ENABLE HDCP check for all customers subscribed to HDTV channels w/ DVR? or it was always enabled?     Thanks !!

the providers of HD programming protect their video using HDCP. if the device is not providing a secure path for the HD signal then the HDCP handshake will not be successful and video will not be carried on that path. If you tune to SD channels it is possible that the signal may pass through the HDMI signal path. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Thanks for your suggestion.

I tried watching a nonHD channel via HDMI connection. It does not work Smiley Sad

(Note that i am able to view SD and HD channels via composite video connection. So that's the workaround i am living with now

The puzzle still lives on..(ie. why video via HDMI worked for last 1-2 years with same TV)

Expert

@marvin42 wrote:

Thanks for your suggestion.

I tried watching a nonHD channel via HDMI connection. It does not work Smiley Sad

(Note that i am able to view SD and HD channels via composite video connection. So that's the workaround i am living with now

The puzzle still lives on..(ie. why video via HDMI worked for last 1-2 years with same TV)

have you tried another set top box (for example get an XG2 and try it). if it works you may just have a bad set top box.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
New Poster

I called customer-support at home and they checked with another HDMI display. It worked. So they think it's my TV problem Smiley Sad. (but technically the same TV worked for almost 3 years with the same HD service Smiley Happy. I conclude that it's combination of  new-cable-box + recent-settings + my-old-tv).

The next option to try is some other new cable box...(like u suggested)...before new-tv.

New Poster

No sebe el hdmi