Community Forum

HDCP 2.2 problem only with cable box hooked up

Saboth
Contributor

HDCP 2.2 problem only with cable box hooked up

We have a Roku, PS3, and a cable box. When the cable box is hooked up through HDMI, any App used on the Roku or PS3 (at some point) will throw up an HDCP 2.2 error, barring us from watching anything on the Roku or PS3 until we jump through hoops such as unhooking cables.

We've tried:

3 different cable boxes (currently X1)

3 different cables (swapping them around, and at least one was supposed to be high-speed)

Swapped the HDMI cables across the different ports.

Restarting, unhooking, unplugging Roku, TV and Cable box. This will get rid of the error for a while, but it will come back.

We can plug in a PS3 and Roku into any of the HDMI ports and they work fine with no issue. As soon as any cable box is plugged into any HDMI port, the Roku and PS3 start throwing the 2.2 HDCP errors until the cable box is unplugged.

Changing resolutions on the Roku and TV to 720/1080, etc.

I just ordered 2 more "high speed" cables, but if these don't work, the only thing I've read I can do is buy an HDMI splitter which sometimes strips the "anti piracy" feature from the signal.

CCAndrew
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: HDCP 2.2 problem only with cable box hooked up

You didn’t say the model of the tv but it needs to be HDCP compliant. You didn’t say the model of the X1 box either but if it’s a dvr you may have to downgrade to a dvr that has component cables in use instead of HDMI

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
jheltzer
New Poster

I have a similar problem. No problem with Apple TV or other HMDI devices connected to the same amp. 4K Comcast box worked for years, then HDCP 2.2 problem started about 2 months ago. Replaced HDMI cables to be the ones comcast supplies. Didn't fix it. Replaced the 4k box, also didn't fix it.

I have to power cycle the 4k box multiple times a day to get it to work. It was so frustrating, that I bought an Alexa-powered outlet so I don't have to get up to powercycle the box. I'm really desparate for a solution. I'm down to only two TVs using xfinity, and thinking of cutting the cable because we can't get simple stuff, like a TV picture, working. 

Rustyben
Expert

@jheltzer wrote:

I have a similar problem. No problem with Apple TV or other HMDI devices connected to the same amp. 4K Comcast box worked for years, then HDCP 2.2 problem started about 2 months ago. Replaced HDMI cables to be the ones comcast supplies. Didn't fix it. Replaced the 4k box, also didn't fix it.

I have to power cycle the 4k box multiple times a day to get it to work. It was so frustrating, that I bought an Alexa-powered outlet so I don't have to get up to powercycle the box. I'm really desparate for a solution. I'm down to only two TVs using xfinity, and thinking of cutting the cable because we can't get simple stuff, like a TV picture, working. 

connect the set top box directly to the TV. let the audio 'return' to the receiver/amp/soundbar via the ARC HDMI connector to the ARC in on the amp.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
ComcastMorgan
Official Employee

That is really frustrating, jheltzer! Please let us know if what Rustyben suggested works successfully in your case. We're here to help!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!