Community Forum

Getting HD on small boxes, not X1

New Poster

Getting HD on small boxes, not X1

So I've got an X1 box and 2 of the smaller boxes for the bedrooms. All boxes are connected via HDMI. The thing is, I'm not subscribed to HD service but I am able to get the HD channels on my 2 small boxes.  Both of the small boxes are new, I just got them yesterday. We've had the X1 box for a while and have never paid for HD service , and get an error message when we try to tune into an HD channel on the X1 box. Is this just a fluke?

Expert

Re: Getting HD on small boxes, not X1

@trekgod3 wrote:

So I've got an X1 box and 2 of the smaller boxes for the bedrooms. All boxes are connected via HDMI. The thing is, I'm not subscribed to HD service but I am able to get the HD channels on my 2 small boxes.  Both of the small boxes are new, I just got them yesterday. We've had the X1 box for a while and have never paid for HD service , and get an error message when we try to tune into an HD channel on the X1 box. Is this just a fluke?

Depending where you live the franchise agreement with Comcast may allow you to receive the local channels (OTA) that transmit in HD at no extra charge. For the X1 cable-box you may need to pay the HD fee to get HD service.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

It seems like I'm getting more than just the OTA channels.  I am getting the local stations in HD , and also channels like BBC America in HD. However,  I don't get premium channels like HBO in SD or HD on the small boxes . 

New Poster

Update: just checked both tv's and the HD channels are GONE. Must've been a fluke related to getting the 2 new boxes 

Contributor

Sometimes when you get a new box it still has software loaded inside from a previous account such that things will work that you are not paying for, such as HD channels.  Once your boxes receive hits from comcast they will get only the services they are supposed to.

New Poster

Makes sense! Thanks !

Gold Problem Solver

Are your "small boxes" actually X1 companion boxes or are they legacy DTA boxes?
Contributor

The fact that he or she said they do not have HBO on the small boxes leans heavily towards them being dta's.

New Poster

They're Motorola  boxes that say xfinity on the front. Green power light in the middle. HDMI output or coaxial . My xfinity app lists them as "MOTOHDUDTA"

Gold Problem Solver

Yep,

Those are "DTA" boxes (not X1 companion boxes) which do not provide X1 funtionality. They will not integrate with an X1 DVR and they not will offer On Demand or premium channels.

You will need to swap them out for X1 companion boxes if that is what you were expecting. Of all the X1 companion boxes I highly recommend the XG2.

@trekgod3 wrote:

They're Motorola  boxes that say xfinity on the front. Green power light in the middle. HDMI output or coaxial . My xfinity app lists them as "MOTOHDUDTA"

New Poster

Thanks for the info.  I'm fine with the boxes the way they are. They're hooked up to tv's that rarely get watched.  The only reason I have them is because the plan I'm on required me to have a minimum of 3 connected tv's.