Community Forum

Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

Frequent Visitor

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

This is my issue and only issue. I NEED to be able to make the font size larger. I would hate to terminate my service due to this issue. It is a huge factor for me. I really do like the X1system but its no good to me if I cant see the words or lettering. Thank you Keith G.
Frequent Visitor

I ALSO AGREE 100% WITH KVBLUML AS WELL. THIS IS A MUST!!! Youve come this far with this system. Dont allow font size be its undoing!!!...Keith G.
Silver Problem Solver

What size and type of TV does everyone have?  X1 doesn't work well with computer monitors and some projection TV's.

480 SD TV\s under about 30" will have problems with X1. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

We have a 65" 4K TV. We just got Xfinity yesterday with the X1 interface and our box is configured at 1080P. The fonts sizes are too small. We had Uverse and the interface is much more legible.

The problem with the X1 interface is fonts are not bold enough, they are not consistent, and white on black is tougher to read. They also use graphical channel logos instead of just a text desciption. I know it looks cool but it does not help legibility. 

I also like the live preview Uverse provided when changing channels.

Look at the comparison below and let's be honest - Uverse is much more legible. If you have ever used Uverse for a while you will regret switching to X1.

The only reason we switched to Comcast was the higher Internet Speed offering but as far as the TV interface goes Uverse is 10x better. My wife ignored me the whole weekend and refuses to watch TV now because of the crappy X1 interface. Comcast really should improve this ASAP - they will lose customers because of it.

Uverse:

Xfinity:

New Poster

Re: font size on guide

The rectangular box that contains the TV listings is large enough to contain a larger font size. I would imagine that a software update could fix this. All the talk about TV size and viewing distance is ridiculous. The last box worked fine. And this one should too.
New Poster

I have a 65" Sanyo smart tv, if no solution I too am going to have to either downgrade or change companies

Silver Problem Solver

Hmm.  I have an older 60" Samsung 3D LEDTV and I don't have any issue with the guide.  But mine seems to have more contrast than yours does.

IMG_1513.JPG

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Visitor

Yes RobertWy, mine is like that NOW.  That was since the recent update.  Perhaps some have not received the most recent software.  Before very transparent and although you could adjust still a strain to read on my 70" HDTV.

I truly believe we are being heard (ie update, voice remote). As with everything in life, no instantaneous solution.  Patience

Silver Problem Solver

I just wish the Comcast mods would let us know when they have responded to our complaints/issues.

New Poster

So the gist of all this is that there is no acceptable solution to this issue, despite customer complaints and requests dating from October of 2013.  The size and configuration of the customer's TV seems to be a moot point, since complaints are coming in from at least one user with a 65-inch TV.  Do we need to complain to the FCC about Comcast/Xfinity's lack of response for an Accessibility issue for some customers, and a usability issue for many able customers?

P.S. We got stuck with the X1 system when our legacy system crashed.  Is it even possible to get a working legacy system back?

Silver Problem Solver

I have heard stories of people who said they went back to legacy.

New Poster

I cannot believe the X1 system. We just got it....08/21/2015 and when I turned to the Guide, I could not believe the tiny...tiny...letters and black screen.  How can this be modern technology?  It is not.  You cannot sit on the sofa or a chair across the room and read the screen.  The tech who designed this must have planned for people to use binoculars.  It has to go.

Really disappointed in Xfinity Comcast's X1.  I came online to send a comment to Xfinity and discovered this Forum.  After typing part of my concern, the rest of the words came up.  I cannot believe that this has been a problem since 2014 and Comcast has not fixed it.  Not acceptable.

X1 has to go.

Disappointed to the point of a scream.

Gold Problem Solver

You can always go back to the older legacy boxes.

Do you have HDTV sets? I believe that X1 was designed exclusively for HDTV sets. Maybe you should tell us more about your viewing situations, how big your TVs are and how far you sit from your TV set.

It is possible that X1 is not the right solution for your situation.

@trillium2 wrote:

I cannot believe the X1 system. We just got it....08/21/2015 and when I turned to the Guide, I could not believe the tiny...tiny...letters and black screen.  How can this be modern technology?  It is not.  You cannot sit on the sofa or a chair across the room and read the screen.  The tech who designed this must have planned for people to use binoculars.  It has to go.

Really disappointed in Xfinity Comcast's X1.  I came online to send a comment to Xfinity and discovered this Forum.  After typing part of my concern, the rest of the words came up.  I cannot believe that this has been a problem since 2014 and Comcast has not fixed it.  Not acceptable.

X1 has to go.

Disappointed to the point of a scream.

Regular Visitor

For all those who feel the font is "PERFECTLY"  fine and readable...good for you.  For those of us that have switched to the new X1 platform and find the Guide difficult to read as compared to what the Guide was prior to the switch, please have some understanding.  Whether or not the font is the same size as the CBS or FOX News ticker at the botom of the screen is of no consequnce to me.  The X1 guide is just difficult to read.  Even the channel Logos at the far left are hard to make out as compared to what we had before.  And please don't rudely suggest that we go back to the legacy system or go out and buy a new tv.  My 32 inch 1080p Sony Bravia has done quite well with the HD content and guide display up to now.  I believe there is a legitimate need for a modification that would allow a choice of display size/font and Comcast should acknowledge that.  It is a simple user interface issue and while some may be happy with the way it is, apparently there are a fair number of those/us who are having difficulty with the readability of the guide.  If you are satisfied with the way it is please refrain from denegrating those who are not and perhaps help find a solution that does not involve telling us to simply sit closer/buy a new tv/go away etc.

Silver Problem Solver

Still waiting for someone to post a screenshot of the hard to read guide...

Silver Problem Solver

@John3758 wrote:

Still waiting for someone to post a screenshot of the hard to read guide...

Google finds a lot.  Some are pretty faint.

These are on the Comcast site.

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/xfinity-tv-on-the-x1-platform/

I think the issue is "in the eye of the beholder".

I have no clue whether Comcast can change it.

Contributor

I can figure out how to post a picture but the lettering is just plain fuzzy on the X1.

the contrast is not strong enough . The contrast shown in the picturers posted recent show the typical difference  with fios and x1.

We are trying to get the best deal to change back to Fois and get out of our 2 yr contract.

We can't believe that xi does not continuously recorded 2 channels like FIOS allowing you to swap back between 2 live channels.

AND WHY DOES X1 NOT HAVE A SLOW MOTION OPTION.? 

I suppose comcast want us to use our smart phones or tablet to control the channels?

Contributor

I took photo from viewing range then cropped photo.

but this fuzzy look is what we have and it's just hard to read for any we length of time!

its a new Panasonic HD TV.

ALSO..... WHY IS THE CHANNEL NUMBER NOT DISPLAYED ON THE BOX?

we nolonger know any of the channel numbers so we to keep going the the guide we can't read easily.......how about jus making the font BOLD....... Would that be so hard?

image.jpg

New Poster

I have 40 inch tv & guide is difficult to read. Guests also find guide hard to read. Would like this problem resolved. There should be larger font option. 

Most Valued Poster

Warren,

I agree its more about the contrast of the white on black than it is the size of the font. The poor contrast makes it very fuzzy.

I cannot believe that we are actually being encouraged to use a phone or tablet to read the GUIDE? Really? Seriously? I pay a lot for X1 and I would sure like to be able to READ it o

n the TV...period!

Slo Mo is back on FF but its not as slo as it used to be. We lost all Slo Mo and frame by frame and so far all they have given back is a faster form of FF Slo Mo.

Most Valued Poster

@skysailor wrote:

For all those who feel the font is "PERFECTLY"  fine and readable...good for you.  For those of us that have switched to the new X1 platform and find the Guide difficult to read as compared to what the Guide was prior to the switch, please have some understanding.  Whether or not the font is the same size as the CBS or FOX News ticker at the botom of the screen is of no consequnce to me.  The X1 guide is just difficult to read.  Even the channel Logos at the far left are hard to make out as compared to what we had before.  And please don't rudely suggest that we go back to the legacy system or go out and buy a new tv.  My 32 inch 1080p Sony Bravia has done quite well with the HD content and guide display up to now.  I believe there is a legitimate need for a modification that would allow a choice of display size/font and Comcast should acknowledge that.  It is a simple user interface issue and while some may be happy with the way it is, apparently there are a fair number of those/us who are having difficulty with the readability of the guide.  If you are satisfied with the way it is please refrain from denegrating those who are not and perhaps help find a solution that does not involve telling us to simply sit closer/buy a new tv/go away etc.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I have been on this soapbox since I got X1  ..the denegrating is not productive and the number of us that cannot read the font grows every day but Comcast does not seem to want to address it. Yep its a simple user interface as well as accessibility issue for the vision impaired and used to be an option in X1 and Cnet had a 'how to do' showing it in the general settings but the bookmark I had no longer shows that article. I made a note to myself about it:  It was Oct 2013 cnet article on X1 settings .They even showed the screen shot where the change could be made. I  always wanted someone at Comcast to tell me why they removed the option.

Most Valued Poster

MP12...according to some of our members  you need a larger TV and  should sit closer....ha ha ha. Once again it is proven that size is NOT the issue...thank you for your sanity check.Smiley Wink

New Poster

FONT IS TOO SMALL

We just got the new X1 and am trying out w/the new remote. The font is so small, that it can't be read from the couch/chairs. I've read the other posts and am really disappointed to know that nothing can be done about it. As large as Comcast is, surely there's a way to fix something that so many people have complained about. I've only had the new box for a few hours, and I already have a headache just trying to read the small print. Any current suggestions?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: FONT IS TOO SMALL

@spowelltally wrote:

We just got the new X1 and am trying out w/the new remote. The font is so small, that it can't be read from the couch/chairs. I've read the other posts and am really disappointed to know that nothing can be done about it. As large as Comcast is, surely there's a way to fix something that so many people have complained about. I've only had the new box for a few hours, and I already have a headache just trying to read the small print. Any current suggestions?

Just a thought; did you go to a Comcast Store and see a demo, or were you going by ads on television?

Most Valued Poster

@kvbluml wrote:

I agree - WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO CHANGE FONTS AND BACKGROUND colors and sizes - these are way too small and difficult to see I can do it here Why not on the guide???

AND you can do it on your pc/internet/phone/tablet

Most Valued Poster

Here we go again....PLEASE stop saying the font is only readable on HDTVs, certain size screens or from a certain distance and STOP telling people X1 was only designed for certain sets and to go back to legacy. Totally and completely not helpful input. Do you think the testimonials from those with the font problem are not REAL?

How about anyone who reports the font problem PLEASE include that you have HDTV and what size screen. I am really getting weary of the naysayers.

Contributor

I have a 42 inch HDTV and still not easy to read!  UGHHH and a clicker I need a light to change a channel...UGGHH

Frequent Visitor

Re: FONT IS TOO SMALL

Is Brandon still taking names of people who can't read the X1 interface ? If so, I'll send him my info. Thanks !

Silver Problem Solver

@lwms41 wrote:

I have a 42 inch HDTV and still not easy to read!  UGHHH and a clicker I need a light to change a channel...UGGHH

I have a 42 inch Vizio LEDTV I bought on sale last November.  I have it in a bedroom but I don't have any glare on the screen.  The blue on black is pretty hard to read.

IMG_1513.JPG

Regular Visitor

I have a 55" screen, HDTV and also have the problem when you highlight a program, it shows on the guide as blue on black.  Very difficult to read.  I tried to change the background and/or the image but it makes no difference.

New Poster

Settings, preferences,general,background darkness level can adjust the visibility. It's hard to find but when u select background darkness level of u hit the down arrow u can change the background image to one better for seeing the words.
I won't claim that no one has trouble seeing the words but the vast majority don't so the issue isn't the size. Yes maybe they could adjust that, but it's a vision thing since most ppl see just fine. I dont know what to tell u when everything is visible to most. Remember that ideal viewing distance is 2X the size of ur tv: 60" TV would be 120" or 10 feet. If ur 10 feet from a 22" u might be too far
Most Valued Poster

@lwms41 wrote:

You definitely need the new FREE backlit remote with voice control. Nice bright back light so you can see the remote clearly

Most Valued Poster

@Attmann wrote:
Settings, preferences,general,background darkness level can adjust the visibility. It's hard to find but when u select background darkness level of u hit the down arrow u can change the background image to one better for seeing the words.
I won't claim that no one has trouble seeing the words but the vast majority don't so the issue isn't the size. Yes maybe they could adjust that, but it's a vision thing since most ppl see just fine. I dont know what to tell u when everything is visible to most. Remember that ideal viewing distance is 2X the size of ur tv: 60" TV would be 120" or 10 feet. If ur 10 feet from a 22" u might be too far

I have tried every combination they offer to try to clean/clear up the text contrast but nothing works. I can see the guide fine; its the program description  even when in its own pop up window that is fuzzy with white on black. I thought blue on black would be better but on the guide on highlighted program the blue is harder to see than the white. If they would just roll over the font options they provide for Closed Captioning we could all have lots of options and find one that words. Does not seem like rocket science to bring back the options they had until late in 2013.

Most Valued Poster

@Attmann wrote:

Everyone's eyes are different.  I, for one, wear corrective lenses with my vision corrected to 20/20 and I have no difficulty reading the guide. My viewing distance is 2.5 times the size of the TV which is generally considered the optimal distance for viewing any TV.

Others, however, can have difficulty seeing certain color dialog against certian color backgrounds.  Totally separate issue than font size or viewing distances.  Sort of like being a color blind electrician.  It makes it difficult if not impossible.  

Most Valued Poster

@TiredRetired wrote:

@Attmann wrote:

Everyone's eyes are different.  I, for one, wear corrective lenses with my vision corrected to 20/20 and I have no difficulty reading the guide. My viewing distance is 2.5 times the size of the TV which is generally considered the optimal distance for viewing any TV.

Others, however, can have difficulty seeing certain color dialog against certian color backgrounds.  Totally separate issue than font size or viewing distances.  Sort of like being a color blind electrician.  It makes it difficult if not impossible.  

I also have vision corrected to 20/20 with glasses and have never had an issue reading anything on tv regardless of the 'color dialog' except the X1 program descriptions (not the guide itself). I can read the teeny tiny scrawl at the top or bottom of the screen  on many networks but the stark white on black on X1 is fuzzy as heck. Just sayin!

Regular Visitor

how can i make my guide page brighter, can't read programs

I am having a hard time seeing the programs listed on my guide. I can't see whats on beside the channel, like USA then i can't see what the name of the program is. It's really light. Is there a way to change the colors on the guide,instead of the black with white wording. I'm not far away from my tv,i am 60 and i have problems with my eyesight. I have to det up and stand in front of my tv to read whats on. The white lettering is so light.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: how can i make my guide page brighter, can't read programs

A search of this forum might have answered your question without having to ask:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=labels%2Clocation&location=forum-b...

Look through all the Settings (gear icon) - if you can't find anything to help you, then there is no other way.

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-settings-index/

Regular Visitor

i didn't think i posted anything private!  no help on forum. seems to be alot of people with the same problem. on mu older remote ,on the guide page you could change the colors.

Expert

@Ebmarco59 wrote:

i didn't think i posted anything private!  no help on forum. seems to be alot of people with the same problem. on mu older remote ,on the guide page you could change the colors.

currently you can not change the guide appearance at all on the X1 equipment. If you have a smart phone/tablet available you can see guide on it using free xFinity apps (xfinity TV remote I think is the best for guide). From the app you can easily scroll channels times and dates. you can set a recording from that guide too.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

I had to increase the contrast and brightness on my TV.
New Poster

I just came back to Comcast after a 3 year absence. This new guide that I can't adjust is absolutely horrible. I can't even read it. I was all excited about coming back, but this guide is very, very dissappointing to me. I absolutely hate it. Please fix it. My brother in law showed me his guide and it was so easy to read. I need that. 

Expert

@jeffreymn54 wrote:

I just came back to Comcast after a 3 year absence. This new guide that I can't adjust is absolutely horrible. I can't even read it. I was all excited about coming back, but this guide is very, very dissappointing to me. I absolutely hate it. Please fix it. My brother in law showed me his guide and it was so easy to read. I need that. 

There is no way to customize the Guide.  It just isn't possible.  Guide issues that have been discussed in the forums are size, font, color, blurry, too sharp, etc.

-=Ray=-

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Silver Problem Solver

@jeffreymn54 wrote:

Did he show you an X1 Platform guide, or the old legacy guide?

Frequent Visitor

I decreased the screen resolution resolution and got a tad of help.  Still a bad set up with small font.  I can't believe I'm paying more $$ for all the high def channels and lowering the resolution so I can read the guide a little easier.How's that for a work around solution, and this doesn't bother me as much as hving to purchase an expensive wi fi range extender to be able to pick up wireless PC's in other rooms of the house that were picking up O.K. before I switched to Comcast and their "great" Aris TG862G modem/ wi fi telephony router. 

I feel certain no one from the company is following this and trying to initiate changes, so this is my last post.  Thanks for the feed back.

Oh, on a more positive note..wired internet speed is fabulous at close to 120 Mbs consistently.  That's the reason I switched internet and phones  from ATT.  I've had Comcast Cable for around 30 - 40 years.  

prd    

Expert

@prd1 wrote:

I decreased the screen resolution resolution and got a tad of help.  Still a bad set up with small font.  I can't believe I'm paying more $$ for all the high def channels and lowering the resolution so I can read the guide a little easier.How's that for a work around solution, and this doesn't bother me as much as hving to purchase an expensive wi fi range extender to be able to pick up wireless PC's in other rooms of the house that were picking up O.K. before I switched to Comcast and their "great" Aris TG862G modem/ wi fi telephony router. 

<snipped>

prd    

The TG862G really "bites" for range and signal throughout a residence....   most users purchase their own higher quality router and then BRIDGE the TG862G... this does not affect your phone service.   I have done this with a Netgear r7000....  This is discussed very often in the Home Networking Forum.

And now back to your regularly scheduled On Topic posts!!!  <VBG>

-=Ray=-

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for this info on router.  I had read this before but did not follow through on it.  So, with bridge mode I would just be bypassing the router function on the Arris?

Ray D.

Expert

@prd1 wrote:

Thanks for this info on router.  I had read this before but did not follow through on it.  So, with bridge mode I would just be bypassing the router function on the Arris?

Ray D.

Yep!  Your router would take over all management and the gateway would act as a dumb modem but your EMTA side would still be active.

For any further information on BRIDGING and other related questions, try looking in the Home Networking / Router/& WiFi Gateway Help Forum.

-=Ray=-

New Poster

Hi I am new to X1 and agree that guide font is too small and needs to be bolded but can determine whether this has been resolved or not - help .... eye strain giving me a headache!!!!!  I didn't realize that I had to have a jumbotron with this X1 service.....

Gold Problem Solver

Comcast has not announced any plans to make any changes to guide fonts or size. Sorry.

@boopy99 wrote:

Hi I am new to X1 and agree that guide font is too small and needs to be bolded but can determine whether this has been resolved or not - help .... eye strain giving me a headache!!!!!  I didn't realize that I had to have a jumbotron with this X1 service.....

Frequent Visitor

The font is too bloody small. I've run my TVs up and down the various resolutions, sharpness and other settings. It may be ok for those under 30. If you're over 50 it's a real issue. I've resorted to using the guide on my iPad app. It's far faster too.