Community Forum

Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

Contributor

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

I too have had this problem from date of installation...have written, called, nothing has changed.

Gold Problem Solver

It's not going to change any time soon. At least not any major changes. However when your X1 boxes connect to a server running guide version 1.54.02 you will see some subtle improvements.

@lwms41 wrote:

I too have had this problem from date of installation...have written, called, nothing has changed.

Silver Problem Solver

Sometimes changing the X1 box's video resolution will fix this issue.  The gear icon is where Settings are.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

Sometimes changing the X1 box's video resolution will fix this issue.  The gear icon is where Settings are.

I have tried all possible combinations of resolution/background,etc and NOPE

Most Valued Poster

@JD3687 wrote:
I'm new to X1 as of this morning. I have a good size TV and I'm not that far away. I find the text in the TV Guide to be small and blurry. I really hope there's a way to fix this soon.

Welcome and thank you for adding your voice. So many of us have been 'fighting' this issue but getting absolutely nowhere. Its not the size of the tv or the distance....the font is just TOO SMALL and BLURRY.

Expert

@TerriB wrote:
Welcome and thank you for adding your voice. So many of us have been 'fighting' this issue but getting absolutely nowhere. Its not the size of the tv or the distance....the font is just TOO SMALL and BLURRY.

Hi TerriB !

Did you get the newest XRE 154.02 yet?   I had heard that the font changed, but that could be for just the down arrow menu tab...

-=Ray=-

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

@geek46 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

Hi TerriB !

Did you get the newest XRE 154.02 yet?   I had heard that the font changed, but that could be for just the down arrow menu tab...

-=Ray=-

I am so mad....no 154.02 yet. Dying to see if the font has changed a bit as I have been advised it might be on program description. Tick tick tick

Expert

@TerriB wrote:

I am so mad....no 154.02 yet. Dying to see if the font has changed a bit as I have been advised it might be on program description. Tick tick tick

Don't be mad.... I haven't seen it roll out in the So FL market yet either....  Smiley Sad
-=Ray=-

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Gold Problem Solver

My older Arris DVR still has it as of this morning however my two newer Arris DVRs still haven't connected to a server with 1.54.02.

My best buddy lives about 30 miles from me and he has a V2 Pace blueie. I noticed last Sunday his V2 had 1.54.02 as well.

I think you guys and gals will like the changes. It's not major but it is certainly a step forward for the small guide font crowd.

@TerriB wrote:

@geek46 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

Hi TerriB !

-=Ray=-

New Poster

Brandon, I got my X1 box today.  What a disappointing disaster. The font size is tiny.  I am watching on a 20" flat screen tv and I am literally frustrated to the point of tears.  I am not elderly.  I don't need glasses--I wear them, my prescription is current and I am beyond annoyed.  I have reasd several of these threads in these forums and I keep seeing that there is no fix--from discussion back in 2014.  It's July 2015 and I even brought this up with the technician helping me set up my box while on the phone with her and was told there was no way to adjust the font.  Furthermore, the guide is barely functional.  The color coding is gone, you have to make a number of selections to get additional information and it is totally counterintuitive.  I genuinely don't know why so many changes were made for the sake of making changes.  

Please help me understand why this issue is such a problem to address for Comcast when SO MANY customers, other than this RickGr4 guy, who seems to have everything figured out for the rest of us, have this problem and are completely frustrated by it.  Do I need to return the X1 box and drop down my service to get back to adequate functionality and readability?  And cable companies wonder why we hate them.  We hate them because we have no choices.  

New Poster

Brandon, I got my X1 box today. What a disappointing disaster. The font size is tiny. I am watching on a 20" flat screen tv and I am literally frustrated to the point of tears. I am not elderly. I don't need glasses--I wear them, my prescription is current and I am beyond annoyed. I have reasd several of these threads in these forums and I keep seeing that there is no fix--from discussion back in 2014. It's July 2015 and I even brought this up with the technician helping me set up my box while on the phone with her and was told there was no way to adjust the font. Furthermore, the guide is barely functional. The color coding is gone, you have to make a number of selections to get additional information and it is totally counterintuitive. I genuinely don't know why so many changes were made for the sake of making changes. Please help me understand why this issue is such a problem to address for Comcast when SO MANY customers, other than this RickGr4 guy, who seems to have everything figured out for the rest of us, have this problem and are completely frustrated by it. Do I need to return the X1 box and drop down my service to get back to adequate functionality and readability? And cable companies wonder why we hate them. We hate them because we have no choices.
Gold Problem Solver

This particular RickGr4 guy actually does have this figured out. Not everybody listens to me but I do have it figured out. Someone needs to be the "voice of reality". Sorry if I don't sugar coat it enough to make everyone happy.

X1 was never designed or envisioned to be viewed on a 20" TV set. Especially a 20" non HD TV set. The reason I take such a direct stance is because I know Comcast has no plans to change it so complaining about it is FUTILE.

I am trying to do you a favor and help you. Unless you plan to purchase a larger and better TV, you should probably go back to the older legacy boxes. You will be happier.

@SILVERYJESSICA wrote:

Brandon, I got my X1 box today.  What a disappointing disaster. The font size is tiny.  I am watching on a 20" flat screen tv and I am literally frustrated to the point of tears.  I am not elderly.  I don't need glasses--I wear them, my prescription is current and I am beyond annoyed.  I have reasd several of these threads in these forums and I keep seeing that there is no fix--from discussion back in 2014.  It's July 2015 and I even brought this up with the technician helping me set up my box while on the phone with her and was told there was no way to adjust the font.  Furthermore, the guide is barely functional.  The color coding is gone, you have to make a number of selections to get additional information and it is totally counterintuitive.  I genuinely don't know why so many changes were made for the sake of making changes.  

Please help me understand why this issue is such a problem to address for Comcast when SO MANY customers, other than this RickGr4 guy, who seems to have everything figured out for the rest of us, have this problem and are completely frustrated by it.  Do I need to return the X1 box and drop down my service to get back to adequate functionality and readability?  And cable companies wonder why we hate them.  We hate them because we have no choices.  

Silver Problem Solver

If the size of the font is too small then...

If your TV is not HD, then set your box to 480i.
If your TV is HD, then set your box to 480i then back to 1080.

Gold Problem Solver

John,

You bring up good points as you usually do but I cannot picture anyone being happy with X1 if they are watching it on a 20" TV set. Unless they are sitting EXTREMELY close to the TV such as four or five feet away.

@John3758 wrote:

Silver Problem Solver

True, 20 inches does seem to be a bit small for X1

I wasn't really talking to the last guy specifically, but more in general.

Silver Problem Solver

You need the Legacy system for a 20" TV.  Get rid of X1.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Most Valued Poster

@John3758 wrote:

Changing the resolution does not help with reading the tiny font...HD or not.

Most Valued Poster

Not sure why I never noticed this before but  in the program description box the name of the program is BLUE on the black background and can easily be seen and read. Comparing it to the white on black in the program detail...WOW what a difference. If they could/would JUST change the all the darn text color to BLUE on black life would be good. The name of the program is a bit bigger than the description but I am beginning to believe more and more that its the color contrast that is causing so many of us issues. Having said that if they would just make the description the same size AND color as the name of the program...problem solved. I have three different sizes of tvs and issues are same on all of them. One is HD.

Gold Problem Solver

Hmmmm,

Last weekend I happened to see a brief moment of a Dish Network commercial. During the commercial, they showed the Dish Network guide up on a fairly large TV screen. Funny but it was white letters on a black background and it had a striking similarity to the current X1 guide.

Just sayin...

Most Valued Poster

@RickGr4 wrote:

Hmmmm,

Last weekend I happened to see a brief moment of a Dish Network commercial. During the commercial, they showed the Dish Network guide up on a fairly large TV screen. Funny but it was white letters on a black background and it had a striking similarity to the current X1 guide.

Just sayin...

I will have to pay more attention next time there is  Dish Network commercial. If we had a recording buffer and 'real' Slo Mo I could record it and look at it very slowly to see what I could see...<sigh>

Gold Problem Solver

I have a feeling the Dish Network guide is far more adjustable and customizable than the X1 guide currently is.

@TerriB wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

Hmmmm,

Just sayin...

I will have to pay more attention next time there is  Dish Network commercial. If we had a recording buffer and 'real' Slo Mo I could record it and look at it very slowly to see what I could see...<sigh>

Most Valued Poster

What a concept....allowing the customer to 'customize' !

@RickGr4 wrote:

I have a feeling the Dish Network guide is far more adjustable and customizable than the X1 guide currently is.

@TerriB wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

Hmmmm,

Just sayin...

Regular Visitor

Hello,

Back again to the thread.  I ordered the X1 voice remote last month....  Love it!  Also in our area just south of Chicago we have the new update.  My box says it updated on 6/22/2015.  The guide is improved.  Although the font is not larger, the background is no longer a darkened view of your current tv screen.  It is solid black and for me with glare and contrast issues it is an improvement.  I would like it to be larger, but this is ok. 

Thank you Comcast!  I continue to enjoy my service and look forward to further improvements and updates.

Gold Problem Solver

You can change the "transparency" of the background. It is one of the few guide adjustments X1 has.

Personally, I have mine set to number 1 because it is transparent enough that you can still clearly see the program you are watching when the guide is up.

Most Valued Poster

@RickGr4 wrote:

You can change the "transparency" of the background. It is one of the few guide adjustments X1 has.

Personally, I have mine set to number 1 because it is transparent enough that you can still clearly see the program you are watching when the guide is up.

I have changed the transparency and background ad nauseum over the past year trying to see improvement but nada happens. I have mine set to number 1 for same reason you do.

Problem Solver

I've seen the Dish guide used on a VIP722 DVR before... I'll take my X1 any day.

New Poster

this issue in NOT fixed.  All notice!!! this is the ONLY place that you can offer comments about the lack of service Comcast provides, and is is IGNORED.  Many have complained about this issue for over a year and nothing has been done.  there are no email addresses that we can send issues to, and little if any response in this forum.  time to find another provider.  even if the only pretend to want to help, it would still be better than the response we get here.

Gold Problem Solver

Geno,

It's not fixed beause Comcast does not see there is a problem in the first place. X1 boxes were designed for larger screen HDTV sets. They like it how it is now. Sorry but if you can't deal with the X1 guide font you probably should mosey your way back to legacy boxes.

@Geno120 wrote:

this issue in NOT fixed.  All notice!!! this is the ONLY place that you can offer comments about the lack of service Comcast provides, and is is IGNORED.  Many have complained about this issue for over a year and nothing has been done.  there are no email addresses that we can send issues to, and little if any response in this forum.  time to find another provider.  even if the only pretend to want to help, it would still be better than the response we get here.

Most Valued Poster

I got desperate to be able to do anything on these forums and activated IE which I hate. Its been over a week since FF worked on the forums. They are working on it but OMG.

I have been holding this response until I could access with FF but enuf is enuf:

------

Rick said: X1 boxes were designed for larger screen HDTV sets.

Time to get into this more deeply since its been brought up many times. I am looking for a quote/source from Comcast that says X1 was designed for larger screen HDTV. Truth in advertising fact check is what I am looking for.  HDTV sets are not universally owned as we have proven on these forums.  Did they give us an upgrade checklist like MS does with new OS? Caveats from sales? Small print in commercials or on Comcast website or on technology blogs ? Comcast rep giving ‘advice’ when  ordering/upgrading to X1? Cust service rep asking what kind of equipment we have when calling to complain about a feature?  ANYONE from Comcast advising that some features might not work well with smaller or non HDTV. I had a tech install my X1 upgrade as they said they needed to do ‘something’ outside and he went thru basic features/usage with me and never said one word about my non HD large screen tv set not being the best for X1.  

Gold Problem Solver

It's just my opinion Terri and in the past when I have made that comment I usually qualify that statement as being my opinion.

However I have been directly or indirectly selling TVs for almost 40 years now and I have been to more training classes than you could possibly imagine. Many of those                          classes included demonstrations about how the human eye and brain receive and process "resolution". I would like to think my opinion has at least some value.

Terri, if it makes you feel better when I make a similar statement I will add a qualifier that it is based on my educated opinion...

@TerriB wrote:

I got desperate to be able to do anything on these forums and activated IE which I hate. Its been over a week since FF worked on the forums. They are working on it but OMG.

I have been holding this response until I could access with FF but enuf is enuf:

------

Time to get into this more deeply since its been brought up many times. I am looking for a quote/source from Comcast that says X1 was designed for larger screen HDTV. Truth in advertising fact check is what I am looking for.  HDTV sets are not universally owned as we have proven on these forums.  Did they give us an upgrade checklist like MS does with new OS? Caveats from sales? Small print in commercials or on Comcast website or on technology blogs ? Comcast rep giving ‘advice’ when  ordering/upgrading to X1? Cust service rep asking what kind of equipment we have when calling to complain about a feature?  ANYONE from Comcast advising that some features might not work well with smaller or non HDTV. I had a tech install my X1 upgrade as they said they needed to do ‘something’ outside and he went thru basic features/usage with me and never said one word about my non HD large screen tv set not being the best for X1.  

Most Valued Poster

@RickGr4 wrote:

It's just my opinion Terri and in the past when I have made that comment I usually qualify that statement as being my opinion.

However I have been directly or indirectly selling TVs for almost 40 years now and I have been to more training classes than you could possibly imagine. Many of those                          classes included demonstrations about how the human eye and brain receive and process "resolution". I would like to think my opinion has at least some value.

Terri, if it makes you feel better when I make a similar statement I will add a qualifier that it is based on my educated opinion...

@TerriB wrote:

------

@RickGr4 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

------

You know that I value your opinions but there are just too many with large HD sets that have the same issue as SD users so something is wrong with the contrast and/or font size. I am a  firm believer  now that its the white on black that makes it blurry because the blue on black looks fine.  My point is that  Comcast should alert new X1 users to the equipment standards they feel a user should have to get the full benefits. As an SD user there is no feature in  X1 that I can't use/enjoy. Its just that I can't READ anything.Smiley Sad

Silver Problem Solver

Terri,

I know you are frustrated by the X1 system.  Maybe it's time to investigate other options, some of which might provide a more stable, reliable service.  One option would be to replace X1 with the legacy system.  It works better with smaller TV's.  The largest TV I had before X1 was about 27" and it ran 24/7 with no reboots, it I remember correctly.

And I never visited any Comcast forum until I got X1. <g>

Robert

Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

Terri,

I know you are frustrated by the X1 system.  Maybe it's time to investigate other options, some of which might provide a more stable, reliable service.  One option would be to replace X1 with the legacy system.  It works better with smaller TV's.  The largest TV I had before X1 was about 27" and it ran 24/7 with no reboots, it I remember correctly.

And I never visited any Comcast forum until I got X1. <g>

Robert

Overall I have few issues with X1 except the more generic ones we all have....lol.  I just would like to be able to read the program information without being really close to the tv. There are numerous threads on this subject and it certainly is a widespread issue...mostly with large HDTV users.

Expert

@TerriB wrote:

My turn!!!!!

@of course no manufacturer or service provider would ever state something like that...  however, they should step up to the plate and do something for the SD sets that are stilll running and performing just fine...  Same as an old MS-DOS 6.1 machine I have running @ home still ( just love the DOS version of DOOM )....

However, I can add one thing....

If X1 was not meant for HD only sets, then why does the Xi3 only have an HDMI output?

<Brou-ha-ha>

You know I'm having fun Terri!!!!!   

Frequent Visitor

Re: font size on guide

I have only had the X1 box for a few days and was starting to get really tired of trying to read the guide with its small, blurred font.  I read John 3758's asswer below and set the box resolution to 1080.  M uch, much better now.  With that being said, I'm still disappointedd with the x1box.  Lots of good software and things I'll never need, but it's much harder to get around in and read than the previous two HD boxes.  I guess I've gained a few things and lost some other good features with the box change.

Anyhway, Thanks John.

prd 

Most Valued Poster

@geek46 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

My turn!!!!!

@of course no manufacturer or service provider would ever state something like that...  however, they should step up to the plate and do something for the SD sets that are stilll running and performing just fine...  Same as an old MS-DOS 6.1 machine I have running @ home still ( just love the DOS version of DOOM )....

However, I can add one thing....

If X1 was not meant for HD only sets, then why does the Xi3 only have an HDMI output?

<Brou-ha-ha>

You know I'm having fun Terri!!!!!   

I 'get' you !
Valued Contributor

Maybe Comcast could do it too?    Smiley Happy

10514628_10206955066743528_4197359015498686929_n.jpg

Contributor

A few other alternatives for seeing the guide and searching content:

1. http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv-listings , and you can change the channel as well on your TVs. Just select the appropriate box on the bottom right-hand corner (next to the gear).  This is helpful if you keep a laptop or tablet nearby.

2. You can also use one of the smartphone apps that exist, including:

a. "Xfinity TV Remote":  

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xfinity.tv&hl=en   

Apple: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xfinity-tv-remote/id401629893?mt=8

b. "Xfinity TV for X1" (if available in your area):

a. Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xfinity.cloudtvr&hl=en   

b. Apple: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xfinity-tv-for-x1-customers/id731629156?mt=8

3. Also, the "X1 Remote" application can be used to help you find content from your smartphone and / or tablet:

More info here: http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/xfinity-apps/xfinity-x1-remote-app-install-on-android-d...

a. Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xfinity.remote&hl=en

b. Apple: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xfinity-tv-x1-remote/id527726789?mt=8

New Poster

Size of type on screen

Is it possible to increase the size of the type on the TV guide screen of my X1 system?  It is now so small that I have to walk across the room to see it

New Poster

I have the X! system.  The letters on my tv sets for the guide are too small to read (two TV's same problem) I have also notice first post on this was 9/14 is anything going to happen to resolve this complaint ?

Silver Problem Solver

I seriously doubt Comcast is going to fix this issue.  X1 is not suitable for everyone.  Some people who live in apartments seem to have connectivity issues.  Some people with older TV's seem to have your issue.  Monitors cannot be used as a TV for X1.  I used to connect my computer to a coax connection to watch TV.  I had to remove the coax because the signal was scrambled.

It seems Comcast is trying to even get into providing 4K content for new X1 subscribers who have 4K TV's.  And they provide 3D content for those who have 3D TV's.

It seems Comcast is trying to keep up with the newer technology.  I've even heard they plan to discontiue support for the older Legacy STB's.

New Poster

We just had an upgrade to the X1, I am have a great deal of trouble seeing the guide with the black background, is there anyway to change this or make the font larger? If not will have to downgrade, I am vision impaired TV is a 65" so it's not due to a small screen the color combo is making impossible for me to read
Silver Problem Solver

There is no way to change the color combination.  

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-font-size-of-the-on-screen-guide/

Regular Visitor

I know I have this issue since I switched after my ikd box gave out. I know the guide of the old box I had no problems reading. The white lettering on black I have a very hard time reading. Like you I have vision problems and it is not to 20/20 even with glasses.

The comcast representative suggested I get a bigger and newer tv to fix the problem. I have never had problems reading the ild setup on my 22 inch screen which does nit have hd
Gold Problem Solver

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I have mine. My opinion is that X1 was never designed to be viewed on a TV as small as 22".

From everything that we have heard and everything that Comcast has NOT said, they have no plans to change the X1 guide font size.

If you have confirmed your X1 box is set to the correct resolution there is nothing else you can do about it other than learn to live with it or go back to legacy boxes.

@kagrtownsend wrote:
I know I have this issue since I switched after my ikd box gave out. I know the guide of the old box I had no problems reading. The white lettering on black I have a very hard time reading. Like you I have vision problems and it is not to 20/20 even with glasses.

Thecomcast representative suggested I get a bigger and newertv to fix the problem. I have never had problems reading theild setup on my 22 inch screen which does nit havehd

Regular Visitor

I know I had an older box that i had installed March 2010 after we had been hit with a tornado. I learned how to use that box. It was very user friendly AND easy to view and read.

This new box I was given when the old box gave out was the one issued. They were told we had an older tv without HD and it was a 22 inch size screen.

I noticed how small the font was and tried to see if font could be changed. They said no and understood a few prople have this problem and to fix it I should go buy a larger screen tv. Which is totally unaceptable response
Problem Solver

If you're using the HDMI input on the tv and the X1 is set to a 720 or 1080 resolution, there's really nothing else you can do.
Most Valued Poster

The new input we are getting from new X1 uses about the font size/contrast is making my blood boil.  How many people with HDTV have to complain before something is done. The vision impaired person who posted recently has a very LARGE TV and can't read it. Here we go again...ITS NOT THE SIZE OF THE DARN TV that makes the difference. Many can just NOT read the font due to its size or more likely JUST the darn contrast of the white on black.

I don't care about the 'opinions' that  the X1 system was supposedly designed for because more than not its the larger screen HDTV uses who are complaining. This is beyond ridiculous.

ITS AN ACCESSIBILITY ISSUE and needs to be addressed! Changing size of font is so basic on internet/email,etc on  all devices except TV with Comcast X1.

Regular Visitor

I agree - WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO CHANGE FONTS AND BACKGROUND colors and sizes - these are way too small and difficult to see I can do it here Why not on the guide???

Contributor

Agree 100% with kvbluml!   Kudos!!!