Community Forum

Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

@lwms41 wrote:

I  have a new larger tv with a new HDMI cable.....and  the menu is still unreadable...so small and fuzzy...and I was told the new backlit remote would be $20 when it came out and then I was told by comcast on my last call that it would be replaced with the new one...never worked right from the beginning...and I keep telling them that...The only better thing is that I can see whose calling now....but still not like before.

Are you in an apartment complex or something similar?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

no...home

Silver Problem Solver

@TerriB wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

The blur is a result of my poor picture-taking.  There is no blur when I use my eyes.  And there is a great black/white contrast.

So are you saying  you don't have a problem with font size and/or blurred efffect? What was the purpose of your photo? Really odd because your photo is exactly what we see on the tv and its NOT just me who sees the blurr.   Maybe its the thickness of the font that is at fault.To us it looks like someone spilled water on white in and smudged it.  I am looking at' smaller than X1 white on black font' in a snow closing listing at the bottom of my tv right now and I can read it just fine. I keep saying X1 font is too small and the white on black is also a culprit and now I see that the thickness of the font may be contributing. Why am I even bothering...they aren't going to fix it.

Here is another attempt at showing how my Guide looks:

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah91/rwycoff77401/IMG_1513_zps282befd4.jpg

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

It is now march of 2015 and there are complaints going back to 2006 and before and this is still a problem.  in 2013 Brandon said something about it won't be fixed by dinner time...... well I guess we would have starved to death by now.  I am still in my 30 day reject period an am considering going back to the old system.  I HAVE A REALLY HARD TIME READING THE GUIDE WITH THE SMALL FONT.

New Poster

how can you call this resolved?

Most Valued Poster

@retireddmdean wrote:

how can you call this resolved?

It is not resolved one tiny bit and probably never will be.

Regular Visitor

I would like to request the ability to increase the font size on the guide as well as on information display.  It is way too small to read comfortably from the couch. 

Contributor

I have been requesting bigger letters  since day 1....and nothing has changed....I guess customers don't count!

Gold Problem Solver

Comcast has not hinted or suggested they plan to change this. I think you have three choices:

1. Go back to legacy boxes.
2. Leave Comcast entirely.
3. Buy a larger or more up to date TV. X1 is CLEARLY meant for HDTV sets...

@lwms41 wrote:

I have been requesting bigger letters  since day 1....and nothing has changed....I guess customers don't count!

Contributor

Purchased a MUCH larger TV, Letters are still small and fuzzy...Adjusted, adjusted many times...We need to get Verizon here...Again, customers don't count....Still have the worthless remote too!  

Gold Problem Solver

Do you have an HD TV set and are you using an HD capable connection?

@lwms41 wrote:

Purchased a MUCH larger TV, Letters are still small and fuzzy...Adjusted, adjusted many times...We need to get Verizon here...Again, customers don't count....Still have the worthless remote too!  

Silver Problem Solver

@lwms41 wrote:

Can you include a picture of what you are seeing?

Most Valued Poster

@RickGr4 wrote:

@lwms41 wrote:

Here we go again Rick and RobertWY....has it not been shown time and time again that getting a bigger tv and having the resoluton set to proper HD does NOT mean that we can read the font? I doubt that Comcast will ever give us this  as  what I consider a much needed accessibility option and I am not alone by any means. Would it hurt you to just support those of us (and the list is LONG) who need a larger font and stop asking about size of tv or to post a photo of the screen we are looking at, etc. That has been covered as much as the dead horse I have beaten about the font size itself. Do you think we just say we can't read it to be cute or start dialogue? If we say its fuzzy and too small...THEN IT IS!

Gold Problem Solver

Terri,

I posed the question because lwms41 used the word fuzzy. I would love to see what he/she is calling fuzzy.

@TerriB wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

@lwms41 wrote:

Here we go again Rick and RobertWY....has it not been shown time and time again that getting a bigger tv and having the resoluton set to proper HD does NOT mean that we can read the font? I doubt that Comcast will ever give us this  as  what I consider a much needed accessibility option and I am not alone by any means. Would it hurt you to just support those of us (and the list is LONG) who need a larger font and stop asking about size of tv or to post a photo of the screen we are looking at, etc. That has been covered as much as the dead horse I have beaten about the font size itself. Do you think we just say we can't read it to be cute or start dialogue? If we say its fuzzy and too small...THEN IT IS!

Silver Problem Solver

@TerriB wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

@lwms41 wrote:

I'm trying to help.  I'm trying to figure out why some are fuzzy.  Too small I can understand.  Fuzzy doesn't make sense to me when I have four TV's connected to X1 and none of them are fuzzy.  It must be the TV.  And using a monitor instead of a TV is not a good idea with X1.

My 42" TV in my bedroom is almost too small to read from about 8 feet away because I have very poor eyesight.  But my wife has had cataract surgery and she can see better at long distances than I can so she can see our Guide just fine.

I am very sensitive to people who have poor eyesight.  I would like to help others the best I can.

Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

@lwms41 wrote:

I'm trying to help.  I'm trying to figure out why some are fuzzy.  Too small I can understand.  Fuzzy doesn't make sense to me when I have four TV's connected to X1 and none of them are fuzzy.  It must be the TV.  And using a monitor instead of a TV is not a good idea with X1.

My 42" TV in my bedroom is almost too small to read from about 8 feet away because I have very poor eyesight.  But my wife has had cataract surgery and she can see better at long distances than I can so she can see our Guide just fine.

I am very sensitive to people who have poor eyesight.  I would like to help others the best I can.

RIck, the fuzzy I believe is the contrast issue so along with the small font its all one big BLUR

Most Valued Poster

Just saw this on CNET...I only copied the part about the font....sound FAMILIAR?

"Tips on setting up the Xfinity X1 cable box"

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/tips-on-setting-up-the-xfinity-x1-cable-box/

wkgdyw said

"Upgraded' last week.   I do like the features, making access to channels, recordings, PPV, etc more seamless, and bringing in IMDB- and Netflix-Like features.  Putting the Rotten Tomatoes scores on movie menus is a big plus.
-
But the interface isn't there yet.  My wife -hates- the new channel guide.  And how stupid is it that you can change background images - making it harder to read - but can't adjust the font size? 

Frequent Visitor

Please Comcast, do not increase the font size. There is hardly enough room now for the information.  I am serious, but maybe now they will change it.

@TerriB wrote:

Just saw this on CNET...I only copied the part about the font....sound FAMILIAR?

"Tips on setting up the Xfinity X1 cable box"

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/tips-on-setting-up-the-xfinity-x1-cable-box/

wkgdyw said

"Upgraded' last week.   I do like the features, making access to channels, recordings, PPV, etc more seamless, and bringing in IMDB- and Netflix-Like features.  Putting the Rotten Tomatoes scores on movie menus is a big plus.
-
But the interface isn't there yet.  My wife -hates- the new channel guide.  And how stupid is it that you can change background images - making it harder to read - but can't adjust the font size? 

Regular Visitor

Small text with X! box

I recently upgraded to the X1 box and now I can hardly read the small text on the screen without looking closer to the TV, this was never a problem with the old box, anybody else having this issue?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Small text with X! box

Welcome to the forum gebby but this is an often discussed subject in this forum and there is no reason to start another thread. Please use the search bar at the top of the forum page. You will find plenty of ready material on this topic.

FYI, Comcast has not announced any plans to change this...

@gebby502 wrote:

I recently upgraded to the X1 box and now I can hardly read the small text on the screen without looking closer to the TV, this was never a problem with the old box, anybody else having this issue?

Frequent Visitor

Is there someway to make the text larger?  We  have the same problem.

Silver Problem Solver

@Mangomama wrote:

Nope.  No way to change it.  This is what my Guide looks like on a 42" screen at about 8 feet.

IMG_1605.JPG

Gold Problem Solver

There is no way to change the font size.

PLEASE do some searching in this forum and read what has been discussed many times before.

FYI, I have come to the conclusion that X1 was not designed to support NON-HDTV sets...

@Mangomama wrote:

Frequent Visitor

Thanks.  This is day 1 of new boxes. Took CC hours to get boxes up and running. Now trying to figure out how to set a reminder.

Gold Problem Solver

X1 has no reminder feature...

@Mangomama wrote:

Thanks.  This is day 1 of new boxes. Took CC hours to get boxes up and running. Now trying to figure out how to set a reminder.

Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

@Mangomama wrote:

Nope.  No way to change it.  This is what my Guide looks like on a 42" screen at about 8 feet.

That image is great, but does make me 'giggle' since exactly 12:00 .. i can't help but to think "is that blinking 12:00?"  Your image and mine are similar. i'm 8-9 feet away when leaned back in my lazyboy chair and screen is only 32 inch in here. The diagnostic screen is harder to read since so much 'bright' around the small font

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@Mangomama wrote:

That image is great, but does make me 'giggle' since exactly 12:00 .. i can't help but to think "is that blinking 12:00?"  Your image and mine are similar. i'm 8-9 feet away when leaned back in my lazyboy chair and screen is only 32 inch in here. The diagnostic screen is harder to read since so much 'bright' around the small font

It's 11:59AM in the upper-right corner.

New Poster

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

Well, you can add me to the list. We had the X1 installed today while I was at work, because our old cable box quit working this morning, and the sales person talked my husband into the upgrade, saying we would love X1.  Well, I cannot read the tiny cramped font on the guide screen, and I want to call them tomorrow to come back and bring me one of the old systems that I have been enjoying for years. The new features would only be interesting if I could read the guide without putting my nose on the screen. Aargh! I am so frustrated! They totally misrepresented the cost as well. Maybe now is a good time to get rid of Comcast and start over.

Frequent Visitor

I wish the font on the on-screen guide was smaller.  It's so big that, combined with wasted space above and below the grid, I get to see only 5 channels at a time.  Too much paging.  I don't need such large text on my 65-inch screen.

And my vision is terrible too.  But that's why I wear eyeglasses.

Gold Problem Solver

I try to support all sides of this issue but that fact remains that Comcast has not made any comments or announcements about allowing changes to the guide font size. It is not happening any time soon, if ever.

I have said this many times before and I will say it again. Even if Comcast figured out a way to allow for guide font size adjustment, it would just introduce an entire new set of problems. If anything, I believe the current guide font is too large and does not display enough information at one time.

Listen up everyone. It is 2015. This is the year of 4K Ultra HD TV sets. Personally when it comes to X1, I DO NOT believe that Comcast should need to worry about or support SD TV sets. SD TVs are DINOSAURS. Clearly, X1 is designed for HD TV sets. People need to deal with this and adjust to it. The entire consumer electronics industry is freezing out SD TVs.

If you have issues with the X1 guide either buy a newer and bigger TV or go back to legacy boxes... Nuff said....

I support the X1 guide in it's current form. I think it is wonderfully legible and clear. I can see it clearly with or without my glasses. Those who don't agree should go back to legacy boxes...!!!

New Poster

"I tryto support all sides of this issue but that fact remains that Comcast has not made any comments or announcements about allowing changes to the guide font size. It is not happening any time soon, if ever."

Rick--no you don't! Despite all the evidence on this forum from folks who have new large HD sets who are unable to read the guide, you persist with "I support the X1 guide in it's (sic) form." If you are so happy with it, why do you insist on posting to this forum? We don't need a Comcast apologist, we need help.
Gold Problem Solver

I post in this forum for two reasons: first to remind people that Comcast has no plans to change it and I don't believe in fighting battles that can't be won. I would find a better way to win the battle. The other reason is there are roughly five million X1 boxes out there now which means the people having an issue with this are still an extremely small minority.

Five million X1 boxes out there divided by the maybe 100-200 people that have an issue with the guide font size? The math doesn't work for Comcast. They would rather have you folks go back to legacy boxes than spend the money it would take to fix this.

I am gonna say this again and I stand by it: if Comcast changed X1 so the guide font could be made larger, it would create an entirely new set of complaints. I am ABSOLUTELY SURE of this...

Sorry if you folks don't like my view of the reality of the situation.

@dzthornton wrote:
"I tryto support all sides of this issue but that fact remains that Comcast has not made any comments or announcements about allowing changes to the guide font size. It is not happening any time soon, if ever."

Rick--no you don't! Despite all the evidence on this forum from folks who have new large HD sets who are unable to read the guide, you persist with "I support the X1 guide in it's (sic) form." If you are so happy with it, why do you insist on posting to this forum? We don't need a Comcast apologist, we need help.

Gold Problem Solver

Rick, I am glad your eyesight is so good that you can read the tiny font on the guide.

However, how dare you tell me and others to "get a bigger tv" which will NOT make it bigger? How dare you tell us to go back to the legacy boxes? We have X1 for features legacy boxes do not have. 

For your information, I did buy a bigger tv 4 days after having X1 installed to replace a tv that was old and clunky and on the verge of totally dying. The font size on that tv is no bigger simply because the tv is bigger. It's the same size as it is on a not much smaller one in another room.

What problems would be introduced if they had a way to allow font size adjustment? You keep saying that but I have not seen you say WHAT problems it will cause.  

It may be fine for you but it is not for others. You are totally downplaying our concerns. I do NOT want to go back to a legacy box. Stop suggesting that we do so.

As for buying a new tv, there may be people who would like to do that. I have a suggestion: YOU buy them all a bigger tv since you seem to think that will cure the problem.

edit to add: the issue for me, and it may be the same for others, is that the show titles are fine. I can see them easily.

The show INFO font is what is needs to be larger for me. It is smaller than the show titles.

Gold Problem Solver

I am entitled to my opinions just as everyone is. Sorry if you disagree with me or my style. But honestly I don't care. I have 37 years worth of experience in the consumer electronics industry, most of that time dealing with the sales and installation of high end TV sets. Like me or not, I know more about this than most people do and I have access to information that many others don't.

FYI, like other members of this forum, I can read the X1 guide with my glasses on or glasses off. I have roughly 20/80 vision without my glasses. Why? It's because I have the right TVs in the right situations and they are ADJUSTED PROPERLY. Considering the smallest X1 font is also used by most major networks (I measured the size of the fonts) you have to ask yourself a question... if you can't read the X1 guide font what else are you not seeing? I can assure you it is not limited to just the X1 guide font.

If Comcast made the guide font larger people would complain about how little information it displays without scrolling and possibly how much of the screen it would cover... especially for those with SD TV sets.

Sorry you don't agree Evie but I know I am not wrong about this. As I write this I am sitting 8 feet away (without my glasses) from my properly adjusted Panasonic plasma TV and the X1 guide is wonderfully legible.

@Queen-Evie wrote:

Rick, I am glad your eyesight is so good that you can read the tiny font on the guide.

However, how dare you tell me and others to "get a bigger tv" which will NOT make it bigger? How dare you tell us to go back to the legacy boxes? We have X1 for features legacy boxes do not have. 

For your information, I did buy a bigger tv 4 days after having X1 installed to replace a tv that was old and clunky and on the verge of totally dying. The font size on that tv is no bigger simply because the tv is bigger. It's the same size as it is on a not much smaller one in another room.

What problems would be introduced if they had a way to allow font size adjustment? You keep saying that but I have not seen you say WHAT problems it will cause.  

It may be fine for you but it is not for others. You are totally downplaying our concerns. I do NOT want to go back to a legacy box. Stop suggesting that we do so.

As for buying a new tv, there may be people who would like to do that. I have a suggestion: YOU buy them all a bigger tv since you seem to think that will cure the problem.

edit to add: the issue for me, and it may be the same for others, is that the show titles are fine. I can see them easily.

The show INFO font is what is needs to be larger for me. It is smaller than the show titles.

Silver Problem Solver

Has anyone posted any screenshots of the hard to read text? I still don't recall seeing any. 

I have a 50 inch Samsung TV and can read all text just fine from about 12 feet away.

Contributor

Look I just changed from fios and while the new guide they had there was annoying it was much more readable, bright text on a dark back ground.
I have a 32" tv and a small house and cannot fit anything larger. Current tv is too big already. The font could be the same size regardless of the tv size the same way computer screens do it.
All the talk about clever cloud stuff is irrelevant to us the paying consumer. What we want is as good or better that before not going backwards.
my pet peeve ...... I can't toggle back and forth between 2 shows . Fios has been doing that for 10 years!
Silver Problem Solver

I took a picture of my 32" TV connected to an RNG150.  Hope it helps.

IMG_1624.JPG

Silver Problem Solver

Robert, I can read everything there just fine, after viewing the picture at the original resolution.

Gold Problem Solver

Robert,

You or someone in your house is a perfectionist when it comes to folding towels and blankets... LOL

@RobertWy wrote:

I took a picture of my 32" TV connected to an RNG150.  Hope it helps.

IMG_1624.JPG

Silver Problem Solver

That's my wife's sewing room.  You should see the wall-to-wall supplies she has. <g>

Here is a closeup of my Guide.

IMG_1513.JPG

Gold Problem Solver

In case anyone needs a refresher course on this topic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_HDTV_viewing_distance

New Poster

You picture is wonderfully legible. Because it's EXPANDABLE!!!!

Our point.
Gold Problem Solver

The pictures that Robert posted are not "expanded'. The TV is not in any sort of "expanded mode". The images you are seeing are the default. They are normal and typical.

@dzthornton wrote:
You picture is wonderfully legible. Because it's EXPANDABLE!!!!

Our point.

Expert

the guide is available on smartphones in two places. for everyone it is xfinity app TV remote. CloudDVR customers can use the xfinity app "TV". The instant guides and flickable superfast scrolling is great (and huge on an iPad). 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

Wow I wish my guide text was clear like that

Most Valued Poster

@Queen-Evie wrote:

Evie, You added another layer of sanity to what myself and many others have been saying all along.  So weary of 'Buy a bigger tv, sit closer, get new glasses, go back to legacy.'.....ALL BUNK. Like you I can also see the show titles just fine but the show info even when in pop up window all by itself is too small and the contrast is terrible. I noticed the other day that while having the guide up and the show info at the bottom I could see it so much better when all of a sudden there was a red background from a commercial...world of difference. So its my experienced  opinion that the text color/background as well as the font size are both issues and should be adjustable.  They have it for Closed Caption and had it for what we need in general setttings back in 2013 and then poof....it was GONE.
Gold Problem Solver

It would be if you had an HD TV set.............

@TerriB wrote:

Most Valued Poster

Rick...I have been told in the past that I am beating the font horse to death but you have gone way ahead of me. Enough already AND just to be perfectly clear as to one of your comments..... WE don't want Comcast to increase the font...we want it to be adjustable like it used to be so that all users are happy. Why do you so strongly object to the need for font/contrast options when so many clearly need them?

Most Valued Poster

RIck

@RickGr4 wrote:

It would be if you had an HD TV set.............

@TerriB wrote:

Rick...please STOP. You know darn well that the majority who have font issues DO HAVE HD sets and large ones at that.

Silver Problem Solver

@TerriB wrote:

Rick...I have been told in the past that I am beating the font horse to death but you have gone way ahead of me. Enough already AND just to be perfectly clear as to one of your comments..... WE don't want Comcast to increase the font...we want it to be adjustable like it used to be so that all users are happy. Why do you so strongly object to the need for font/contrast options when so many clearly need them?

Terri,

Have you considered going back to the Legacy system?  It would probably fix the issue you obviously have with the X1 Guide.